Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-13-2016, 05:04 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying 110lb white cardstock on Amazon. Help!!

I've been buying my 110lb white cardstock at Michaels but the quality and color is not what it used to be so I am in search of a new source. Has anyone purchased cardstock at Amazon. I want a good bright white heavy cardstock in big packs of 100 or more sheets.Is Neenah cardstock a good choice. I am confused about index stock and cardstock. Any recommendations? TIA
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2016, 06:16 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Neenah is AWESOME cardstock. I buy it from my local paper warehouse, but if you get free shipping from Amazon, then the weight won't be a problem. Neenah makes Solar White in 110lb and that is what a lot of crafters use. I also read on here some people had good luck with Hobby Lobby heavy cardstock too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2016, 08:14 AM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

I bought the heavy cardstock from Hobby Lobby and was not impressed at all. It was not 110lb at all. Now I have more laying paper than I know what to do with. I need base!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2016, 08:47 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pricecheckView Post
I've been buying my 110lb white cardstock at Michaels but the quality and color is not what it used to be so I am in search of a new source. Has anyone purchased cardstock at Amazon. I want a good bright white heavy cardstock in big packs of 100 or more sheets.Is Neenah cardstock a good choice. I am confused about index stock and cardstock. Any recommendations? TIA
Honestly, Staples White 110 lb cardstock is perfect for me. AND cost effective.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2016, 08:52 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I find this chart helpful when comparing card stock.

Convert GSM to Pounds | Coastal Printing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2016, 08:54 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockandrollstamperView Post
I bought the heavy cardstock from Hobby Lobby and was not impressed at all. It was not 110lb at all. Now I have more laying paper than I know what to do with. I need base!
Did you buy the "heavy weight"? They have packages of black and then also white which say "heavy weight" which is a nice paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Oh, I heard that Hammermill 100# card stock is very smooth (like SU) and bright white. (I have not tried it yet.) They also make a 80# that is also very smooth and bright white. I like this idea for using a slightly thinner white for layering on the card and the layers will match the base perfectly.

https://amazon.com/dp/B00SN0PI88/ref...=ILI0NADK7YODQ

https://amazon.com/dp/B000J0C47S/ref...I3VLLVQMKPP3XM

Last edited by marymoilanen; 09-13-2016 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: added product name
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditto that Neenah 110 Classic Crest solar white is excellent for bases. I find the 80 pound good for layering.

Why not try it out first? Neenah will send you a huge sample sheet of each paper that you select, plus a swatch book at no charge except shipping.

Their site is a little tricky to navigate - they have so many different papers - but if you call them, they will walk you through it. A rep told me that the reason the individual sample sheets are so large is because commercial customers often do multiple printing tests before committing to a huge order.

Not all Neenah's are created equal. The Neenah at my Office Depot is not the higher quality Neenah.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2016, 04:54 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks bjeans. I was wondering if it was.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2016, 06:11 PM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I started using Cougar brand white cardstock (cover stock) years ago when I had a paper place I could visit and buy a couple times a year. Cougar white is made by Domtar and has a brightness factor of 98, which is a totally awesome bright, clean white. It cuts nicely and scores without any of those weird ragged folds that some cardstock types are plagued with. The thing I especially appreciate about Cougar is the surface finish. It is "mama bear" just right - smooth and silky finish, but just enough tooth for Versafine Black Onyx ink to dry quickly without smearing or heat setting.

I originally used only 80# cover stock , because this is what the brick and mortar store offered as their heaviest. When I needed more cardstock after the store closed its doors I searched for a web source for Cougar white. I found it on Amazon for a really good price, free shipping, and best of all I was able to buy 100# cardstock which is what I really needed for making nice card bases.

A ream (200 sheets) of Cougar white 100# cost me $23 with free Amazon Prime shipping. The cost per sheet is only 11 1/2 cents! . I can use it without feeling guilt of using super spendy paper.

I have sampled the other card brands mentioned and have always come back to Cougar as my go-to white card stock. I just like the way it performs and how nice it is to work with. I also use their natural color which is a soft, elegant off white. It is also available in 100# cover stock through Amazon.

Hope you are able to sort through all the recommendations and find the perfect paper for your style of stamping.

P.s. I thought of another reason I love using Cougar white. It is consistent in color (brightness) from ream to ream. Leftover cardstock scraps and pieces from an old supply of Cougar will match the new paper you buy. No wasted leftovers! Gotta love it!

Last edited by Boss; 09-13-2016 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: Added thought
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2016, 06:17 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I only use Neenah and PTI. I think I like the brighter white of Neenah better.
Although I mostly use the Neenah 110 lb, their 80 lb is ok for card base if you don't want as heavy a card.
I was excited when I saw Office Depot carried Neenah, until I checked it out. Index is definitely nothing like the Classic Crest Solar White. Not nearly as thick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2016, 06:37 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default I love the Hobby Lobby Heavy weight card stock.

[QUOTE=craftyduo;21319533]Did you buy the "heavy weight"? They have packages of black and then also white which say "heavy weight" which is a nice paper.[/QUOT

It's great for bases. I'm wondering too if she picked up the wrong stuff.

Sad face.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 05:47 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

The diff between the two Neenah 110 lb paper is thickness Neenah said.
Both packs of paper say 110 lb, but it is the GSM that makes the diff.
I called Neenah when I was in the store. The higher the GSM, the heavier paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 06:01 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01View Post
I only use Neenah and PTI. I think I like the brighter white of Neenah better.
Although I mostly use the Neenah 110 lb, their 80 lb is ok for card base if you don't want as heavy a card.
I was excited when I saw Office Depot carried Neenah, until I checked it out. Index is definitely nothing like the Classic Crest Solar White. Not nearly as thick.
Agree! "Classic Crest" is the good stuff. Big box stores don't carry it, at least not around here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 03:38 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
I started using Cougar brand white cardstock (cover stock) years ago when I had a paper place I could visit and buy a couple times a year. Cougar white is made by Domtar and has a brightness factor of 98, which is a totally awesome bright, clean white. It cuts nicely and scores without any of those weird ragged folds that some cardstock types are plagued with. The thing I especially appreciate about Cougar is the surface finish. It is "mama bear" just right - smooth and silky finish, but just enough tooth for Versafine Black Onyx ink to dry quickly without smearing or heat setting.

I originally used only 80# cover stock , because this is what the brick and mortar store offered as their heaviest. When I needed more cardstock after the store closed its doors I searched for a web source for Cougar white. I found it on Amazon for a really good price, free shipping, and best of all I was able to buy 100# cardstock which is what I really needed for making nice card bases.

A ream (200 sheets) of Cougar white 100# cost me $23 with free Amazon Prime shipping. The cost per sheet is only 11 1/2 cents! . I can use it without feeling guilt of using super spendy paper.

I have sampled the other card brands mentioned and have always come back to Cougar as my go-to white card stock. I just like the way it performs and how nice it is to work with. I also use their natural color which is a soft, elegant off white. It is also available in 100# cover stock through Amazon.

Hope you are able to sort through all the recommendations and find the perfect paper for your style of stamping.

P.s. I thought of another reason I love using Cougar white. It is consistent in color (brightness) from ream to ream. Leftover cardstock scraps and pieces from an old supply of Cougar will match the new paper you buy. No wasted leftovers! Gotta love it!
I too used to use Cougar, but I thought it had gone the way of the dinosaur. I'll look for it next time I need cardstock.

Note about weight: gsm is the ultimate way to compare papers, but unfortunately, most American companies don't give that information. Be aware that "cover" stock is much heavier than "index" stock for the "same weight" such as 110 lb. But again, many companies don't indicate which is which on their packaging.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2016, 05:31 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 198 Likes on 94 Posts

Paper manufacturers always indicate whether their paper is Double Thick Cover, Cover, Index, Bristol, Tag, Text, etc. But re-sellers don't often do that. You need to research any paper you are considering by checking the manufacturer's site. If you are buying store brands of paper, you will take your chances with what type of paper it is. It's sad, but that's the way it is.

My recommendation to anyone who asks is to always choose COVER stock. It is the thickest for the designated weight (unless you select Neenah's Double Thick Cover, which is too much for cards).

For those of you who like to know the reason why...this chart is worth more than 1000 words...

As you can see, an 80 pound cover is the same THICKNESS as 134 pound tag weight or 120 pound index weight or 146 pound text weight paper.

That chart also tells me that when I buy 110 pound INDEX stock at walmart...it is only equivalent to 74 pound COVER. That's why GP cardstock, which is 199 gsm and 110 pound index card stock, is like the 74 pound cover, and isn't at all like the Neenah cover stock.

You can print that chart and keep it in your files for reference. It's very useful to have.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2016, 02:22 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

I too have a local paper supply, Kelly Paper, where I can buy my Neenah Classic Crest Solar White #110 by the ream. I use mine mainly for Copic/alcohol coloring. I have used it for card bases as well.

When I want a smaller amount of #80 Neenah or Cryogen White (for Copics, pencils or other coloring other than watercolors) or X-Press It, I go to papertemptress.com since they have a large assortment and always seem to have a sale.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts

This is interesting. I just bought a pack of the heavy weight white about a month ago at Michael's and it looks fine to me. I love it for card bases. It's almost as white as the Whisper White and Xpress-It I use to stamp my images on. I wonder if Michael's just had a bad batch and your store got them.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 08:07 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by javagirl984View Post
This is interesting. I just bought a pack of the heavy weight white about a month ago at Michael's and it looks fine to me. I love it for card bases. It's almost as white as the Whisper White and Xpress-It I use to stamp my images on. I wonder if Michael's just had a bad batch and your store got them.
Michael's didn't have a bad batch, they just made a bad business decision

If you haven't used it before, you might not notice a difference. But Michael's has started having their 110 & 65/67 weight paper made in China. Until recently it was made here in the US; there is a lot of difference between the two, especially the heavier paper, and Michael's has lost a lot of customers because of this. If you still have the package, it says on the front where it was made.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 11:53 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree, Linda. Really BAD business decision. They deleted all the bad reviews for that item too. I loved that cardstock and felt like I could use it freely because I could always get another one cheap with a coupon.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 12:11 PM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

I wonder how it affected the U.S. company that used to make the paper. Apparently eight U.S. paper mills have closed since 2011, so there were thousands of lost jobs. And those of you who liked the original paper are out of luck. There was an open ream at a local Michaels - maybe a customer was checking it out? - and it didn't feel substantial.

I guess shouldn't be surprised that Michaels pulled the bad reviews. : (

ETA: here are some recent bad reviews. Maybe Michaels hasn't noticed them?
http://www.michaels.com/recollection...M10293367

Last edited by bjeans; 09-18-2016 at 12:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 12:14 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by javagirl984View Post
Was it made in China?
Reply With Quote Likes