Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:07 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Copic Markers -- what's the big deal?

I keep reading so many great digs on the new Copic Markers, I have even saved up to buy some.

Any one know where there is a good deal to be found.

What do you like the most or least about them, what colors and pen types do you own, and what is the best paper(s) to use with them.

Any help/suggestions is appreciated!

Stampign hugs,

My gallery: ms.rhetta's Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Fan club member!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Subscribing because I want to know the answer to this question.

I have 2 Copics - which I got at Hobby Lobby - at $6/marker. I don't see what the big deal is - I much prefer my SU! markers. It's a *HUGE* investment for a "now popular' tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I was also wondering about the "big" deal with these markers. What can they do that the average marker can't?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2008, 05:44 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

For some it may not really make a huge difference. I was very skeptical as well. A friend then sent me a few of her "repeats' and I was instantly in love. Before-I spent a ton of time coloring in large spaced images with watercolor markers and sponges using the reverse masking technique in order to get good blending and no lines from my markers. Copics do not leave the overlay lines that regular markers leave.

I am a pencil fanatic...I love my prisma color pencils and use the gamosol technique and layer a lot of colors together but at times still cant achieve the vivid, vibrant colors that I desire----the color saturation that can be achieved with the copics is awesome.

I havent had mine long enough to master blending but that is one of my goals...

I do know that shading and highlighting is very simple as the number system makes it simple as can be. And to highlight or add light just brush the blending pen over a section of your work until you have your desired color.

I have about 35 of these "miracle markers" now....some sent by my friend and some purchased at Hobby Lobby with my 40% off coupon...yeap....I get cash and send each of my family members in with a coupon...and I went to Hobby Lobby everyday one week when they had a 40% off coupon :0.
They are pricey....as are many of the tools we all "have to have"....it is just a matter of where and what I am going to spend my monthly stamp allowance on he,he.

I have some sketch and some ciao...the ciao are less expensive can be refilled are a round shape and have less ink in them...at least thats what I have heard....

I have found but do not have the web address on me a site that has the ciao for $2.99 a piece....the word "Period" is in the title...when I go home tonite maybe I can remember to post the site.

Stamp S'More

Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2008, 05:58 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

I bought my set of 72 at www.dickblick.com

I have to say they are an excellent investment. I just love them.
Sneek A Peak at my blog ===> Karen's Kreations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2008, 06:48 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I would suggest http://www.oozak.com for a very reasonable price on Copic markers. Their shipping is FAST and service is terrific.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I bought all of my sets at my favorite things. I LOVE them. You can't really tell with just 2, that's the problem. You can to have enugh to really color something and shade it. It just makes such a smooth professional-looking image.
http://oolalasparkle.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2008, 10:00 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

There are several threads about this topic, but some of the features I enjoy include:

~Blending capabilities because it is alcohol ink the colors will blend seamlessly
~Will not make your paper pill up by layering on colors
~You can layer on your colors for even shading
~No marker lines in your coloring
~Colors will not bleed onto one another....you can use a lighter color over a dark one and there wont be any transfer. If you want a gradual fade effect you can touch the tip of a dark marker to a light one and color, there will be a transition in the colors but there will not be any damage to your markers.
~Highlighting with the blender pen (It is called a colorless Blender but think of it more as a highlight tool and you will be happier
~Large variation in colors-With over 300 colors available in the Sketch Style you are sure to find the right shade
~Easy numbering system. You can look up information about this on Copic Markers Website

Where to buy? Try DickBlick.com or CarpeDiem.com

My suggestion is to find someone else you know who has some markers and play with them to be sure you like them. They are an investment that you need to be happy with making. One of my friends had some and I swore I did not need them.....now I have quite the collection. There is nothing wrong with SU! Markers or any other water based marker, these have a different ink and are designed to work differently. I am happy that I have both now.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh...and my Dh didn't "get it" why I liked markers so much until one of his friends came bye and complimented me on my Christmas cards and specifically mentioning how impressed he was with the coloring. He couldn't believe that it was hand done DH will now seek out a Dick Blick store when he travels and buys me a few more markers as a gift while he is gone
Old 05-09-2008, 11:40 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

I have to totally agree with everything Kimme said about Copics. I am such a fan!! I used to hate coloring (even though I have a full set of Prismacolor pencils and the full set of SU! markers and chalks, and whatever else you can think of...) and would buy stamps that I didn't have to color in.

Then, on a big fat whim, I bought the full set of Ciao markers without even trying them out first and I'm so happy I did!! I absolutely LOVE coloring now and even though I'm no artist, I think even my stuff looks nice now!

The only thing I would change if I could go back would be to skip the Ciaos and go directly to the Sketch. I never thought I would want more than the 144 Ciao colors, but I do! And now that I'm buying Sketches to fill in the color gaps, I have 2 different kinds of markers. And the Sketches fit into the airbrush system with no modifications.

For paper, I use the cheap-o Georgia Pacific cardstock from Walmart. I just ordered some Neenah though, so I'll see if I like that better (although it's much more pricey than the GP). For ink, my hands down fave is Brilliance. I just got a Memento pad, but haven't really had a chance to try it out yet.

As for deals, I just found http://www.copicmarkers.com/storefro...spx?sfid=78416(which also goes by "Period Style" that I think Eva was referrring to) where you can pick colors to make your own CUSTOM set! And they have free shipping when you buy at least a 12 set. I haven't ordered from them yet, but I plan to soon.

Hope this helps a little!

Last edited by mm9772; 05-09-2008 at 11:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #11  
Inking Addict

Default Color Suggestions for you

If you visit Jillian's blog, she has her favorite colors of copics listed on the right hand side...and which SU colors they match. I found this helpful for deciding which few to purchase first. Look for the "favorite things" section on the side.
http://inkstampnscrap.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #12  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by carissayView Post
If you visit Jillian's blog, she has her favorite colors of copics listed on the right hand side...and which SU colors they match. I found this helpful for deciding which few to purchase first. Look for the "favorite things" section on the side.
http://inkstampnscrap.blogspot.com
http://inkstampnscrap.blogspot.com/2...w-section.html

Sorry, this is the post I was referring to in my previous comment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2008, 02:14 PM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

Default copics

I love love my markers!!!! HAven'r had lots of time to actually be a master at them but hopefully soon will learn. I have found a little art store near me that sells the caio's and they are only 3.24 which is a great price. I'd try an Art store you. The caio's are all the same ink and you can refill the only thinng they don't do is use the airbrush system. I would also suggest getting the C1 or C3 and the skin tone markers they are such fun to color in skin. Have fun and happy shopping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

OK, I've been following this thread, and was considering buying...but this past week I went to friends for a crop...she had made some cards using her "new toys"---(an awesome hummingbird stamp by inkadinkadoo) and COPIC markers...I didn't see ANY difference in her coloring, AND there WERE marker lines.
Does anyone have an explanation for why there were marker lines, when it is repeatedly posted above, that they do NOT leave marker lines???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

Marker lines will be left if you're not coloring "correctly". For larger areas, you need to saturate the paper and then there won't be any lines. I think the paper you use also makes a difference.

Check out this awesome tutorial which shows this really well:
http://debbiedesigns.typepad.com/mus...ves-a-hoo.html (If you enlarge the pictures, you can see how perfectly smooth the coloring is.)

One of the biggest differences I've found is that Copics will never pill up the paper no matter how many times you color over the same area. Water based markers (like SU) will pill up pretty quickly on regular cardstock. I haven't tried watercolor paper though, so I don't know if that's better. I have heard of people successfully coloring with water based markers, but I could never get the hang of it!
Old 05-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

You can use the Ciaos in the airbrush system. You simply place a small piece of dimensional tape into the cylinder where you place the marker. It raises the Caio up and fits the system. Works great!

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have ordered 3Xs from COPICmarkerS.com
I have been able to purchase 12 at a time and the colors that I want. The service has been great and delivery in less than a week. There has been no charge for shipping and I paid $2.99 per marker plus $1.65 for insurance. I have had fun with them.
Kay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by kvmnhView Post
I have ordered 3Xs from COPICmarkerS.com
I have been able to purchase 12 at a time and the colors that I want. The service has been great and delivery in less than a week. There has been no charge for shipping and I paid $2.99 per marker plus $1.65 for insurance. I have had fun with them.
Kay
Do they have sales when you've ordered for $2.99? I'm not seeing any markers for less than $5.25

Becky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2008, 08:13 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilbitt34View Post
Do they have sales when you've ordered for $2.99? I'm not seeing any markers for less than $5.25

Becky
The ones that are $2.99 are the Copic Ciaos, which have the same tips as the Sketches, but have smaller cylinders (less ink). This site has the Sketch ones for $4.46. Not all the in-stock markers are listed on the site, but you can call customer service and they can help you.

http://www.otakufuel.com/index.php?p...ct_list&c=2559

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2008, 04:52 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I wait for them to go on sale at Hobby Lobby or I'll use the coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2008, 04:59 AM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I originally bought just 2 copics to try and didn't see the big deal. I read the posts and tutorials and then bought a few more and a blender to test the blending ability. I've decided not to get them. I like what I have just fine and I don't need a numbering system to tell me what colors to blend.

I'm happy that I no longer feel the need to following the crowd and get them. Whew!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2008, 07:36 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by petuniascrapsView Post
OK, I've been following this thread, and was considering buying...but this past week I went to friends for a crop...she had made some cards using her "new toys"---(an awesome hummingbird stamp by inkadinkadoo) and COPIC markers...I didn't see ANY difference in her coloring, AND there WERE marker lines.
Does anyone have an explanation for why there were marker lines, when it is repeatedly posted above, that they do NOT leave marker lines???
The cardstock that is used will make a difference as to whether there are lines.

I love my Copics! In addition to the things already mentioned, having the number and color name on the caps of the markers is a nice feature - makes hunting for the right color much easier. You can also use your Copics to color on ribbon and brads! I got most of my Copics from A Muse. They sell the "original" version - which is the square one. I love the fine nib since I am frequently coloring small images.

Last edited by scoopy; 05-10-2008 at 07:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2008, 09:40 AM   #23  
Inking Addict

Default black ink for Copics ?

I have purchased a few copics and do like them because of the "no pill" and blending results BUT i have been using the SU Basic Black and don't like the results. What should I use?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2008, 12:35 PM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Eclectic paperie has ciao's on sale for $2.99...I got my first ones yesterday from them and I love them. off to order more, seriously..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2008, 01:08 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat NagyView Post
I have purchased a few copics and do like them because of the "no pill" and blending results BUT i have been using the SU Basic Black and don't like the results. What should I use?
Thanks
Adirondack ink from Ranger works very well for any of the alcohol ink markers.

And as for the post about why the markers did leave overlay lines...there may not have been enough ink to keep the edges of the color wet...once the ink dries, you can go over it again...but you will end up with a line (that needs to be blended with a lighter color marker) This is actually one of the cool things is that you can create shadows with just one color...but to get the "no line" look...color in small circles and keep the leading edge wet.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

http://www.franticstamper.com

Fran carries the whole line of Sketch Copic markers with refills. The markers are $3.95 and refills are $6.95 I think. Fran is a dream to work with and ships very fast.

Makaren
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2008, 05:12 AM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

are these markers made in italy? just wondering because i'm headed back there, and figured that maybe i'd look around and check out the prices there; though with the euro rate i can't imagine it'd be much cheaper. but it's still better than having to pay shipping *lol*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2008, 06:58 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

I'm not sure about the origin but way before the scrapbookers brought Copics into popularity they were used by artists doing Japanese anime and manga. My daughter has been into them for literally years. She bought her first set of 36 at Anime Expo in LA probably ten or twelve years ago. The only way she could get them otherwise was directly from the company. Now you can go online and find a plethora of retailers. We still don't have anyone who sells them locally.

Makaren
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2008, 06:21 AM   #29  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisavengestaView Post
are these markers made in italy? just wondering because i'm headed back there, and figured that maybe i'd look around and check out the prices there; though with the euro rate i can't imagine it'd be much cheaper. but it's still better than having to pay shipping *lol*
No, they are made here in Japan! One tiny benefit to being stationed here so far from Target!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2008, 09:39 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by petuniascrapsView Post
It's not only the alcohol ink, but the technique with which the color is applied.

If she were coloring in a tight circular motion, she would have no streaking or marker lines. It enables the color from the next circular stroke to merge with the previous before it has a chance to "set". Because of the alcohol, this can be done repeatedly, without ever pilling the paper.

Also, if she laid down a darker color, and then decided she preferred it to be lighter or to adjust the hue/intensity, etc. She can do that by using a lighter colored Copic, or in conjunction with the Copic Blender, which enables you to push and manipulate the colors--not necessarily erase them, but it can wash 'em out to a certain degree.

None of the above can be done with water-based markers.

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat NagyView Post
Thanks
Extensive tests have shown that Copics perform best with heat set pigment inks. My preference is Brilliance Graphite Black, because it has a lovely, crisp, and deep black saturation.

However, if heat-setting is an inconvenient step, you might try Tsukineko's newest ink: Memento

I've tried Adirondack, Versafine, etc. And, I still have feathering (Adirondack) or smearing (Versafine) issues with Copics and those inks.

:(

The only other fast-drying dye ink I've heard of to be compatible with Copics is Nick Bantock's line via Ranger Ink. But, I find the tins they are packaged in to be a royal pain to deal with, so I've never bought any to test performance of that ink with Copics.

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2008, 11:19 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks Miss HRR! I just happen to have gotten some of the new Memento Dew Drops!

Off to go try them with my new Copics.

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2008, 08:25 AM   #33  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorseView Post
Thanks Miss HRR! I just happen to have gotten some of the new Memento Dew Drops!

Off to go try them with my new Copics.
I'm sure you'll make some beautiful cards- I love the Memento inks, especially when I am layering lots of copic colors. they work great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2008, 09:41 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Everyone;
You guys are so terrific answering all my copic questions. I took the plunge last week and came home from Bible Study today to find my order waiting for me. What is your favorite paper to use with the markers? I was so happy I'd saved my money!

I'll let you all know if I like them later on this afternoon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2008, 09:48 AM   #35  
Kookie Creator

I like Georgia Pacific cardstock or Neenah Classic Crest, but there are lots of others that work well
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2008, 10:11 AM   #36  
Gabfest Goddess

I use Papertrey white stamper's select cardstock or the Georgia Pacific cardstock from Walmart with my copics. My favorite inks to use are Brilliance black graphite (heat set), palette noir (heat set), and new favorite Momento inks (no heat setting required). The great thing about the copic markers is that you can go over something many, many times with no pilling of the paper. That makes blending so nice and easy to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

i got my Tuxedo black dew drop (the only tuxedo that will ever be in my house! -dh is a jeans and workshirt guy only!) yesterday and it gave a great crispy image using polymer stamps on both the stampers select white from PTI and another cheap white from staples. (the pack said it was 120lb wt bright white, but they lied. I just use it to print on cause it runs through the printer w/no problems--it sure isn't a bright white against the stampers select)....so I'm happy w/the Memento ink drop and it worked nice w/the copics that I have (I only have the match to the In Colors, a grey and a flesh tone color, along w/a "margarita green" and a Tria colorless blender, cause Blick is always out of the Copic blenders
anyhow, these combos worked well for me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 01:04 PM   #38  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by My3LittleMonkeysView Post
No, they are made here in Japan! One tiny benefit to being stationed here so far from Target!! LOL
I was just in Japan last weekend, and I was able to buy Copic Ciao Markers for $2.38 each. I bought 50 of them, based on the Copic vs. SU list. The best place to buy it is in Yuzawaya Craft Store, where you get additional 10% off if you become a member. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 01:29 PM   #39  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvaCView Post
Copics do not leave the overlay lines that regular markers leave.
WHOA! I'm new to Copics (have three on my desk, haven't used them yet!) and I didn't know the big deal yet either...but to not have the overlay lines, that to me is HUGE!

Off to play!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 04:15 PM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

Default What's the big deal?

Subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes