Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Brass Embossing Plates... (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/brass-embossing-plates-409219/)

Shopping Diva 01-07-2009 09:46 AM

Brass Embossing Plates...

Does anyone still use these?

stampkinz 01-07-2009 10:03 AM

No. I have the Pick a Petal template and have only used it once. I'm probably going to sell it.

Debra Busse 01-07-2009 10:07 AM

I have several dozen of them, and I do use them. Most of mine are from Lasting Expressions. There is a yahoo group that I belong to that swaps every month. The cards we exchange are quite awesome.

Shopping Diva 01-07-2009 10:20 AM

I have a ton also. I wonder if they can be used in the cuttlebug.....Hmmm

Crafty Math Chick 01-07-2009 10:31 AM

Yep - LOVE 'EM!! :)

Debra Busse 01-07-2009 10:47 AM

They can be used in the Cuttlebug, there is a recipe for the sandwich here on SCS. I Don't have the link but it is here somewhere.

jennelf 01-07-2009 10:48 AM

I didn't for the longest time, but then I got my Wizard and it took away all the work - so they're back in use for me! :)

Gatomom 01-07-2009 10:50 AM

I just started thanks to my boyfriend's mom she has tons of them and the cards she does with them are beautiful. She lets me play with her stuff!

pjw2855 01-07-2009 11:46 AM

Ladies....You can also use the brass stencils with embossing paste. Just another way of embellishing your cards. There are many things you can add to the embossing paste to achieve different effects.

Patti

tchk 01-07-2009 01:26 PM

I use mine in the CB and love the results.

BillieDee 01-07-2009 01:40 PM

I have quite a few. Sometimes I use on and emboss by hand but often I use my CB.

Shopping Diva 01-07-2009 03:19 PM

Anyone know the sandwich?

53queenbee 01-07-2009 03:24 PM

No but I did read somewhere that using a rubber gasket from the hardware store is the trick. I just quit working and get to play for the rest of my life so I am going to figure this out. There is a thread somewhere.

Shopping Diva 01-07-2009 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53queenbee (Post 12622666)
No but I did read somewhere that using a rubber gasket from the hardware store is the trick. I just quit working and get to play for the rest of my life so I am going to figure this out. There is a thread somewhere.

That's awesome! Congratulations :-D

uncbballfan 01-07-2009 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopping Diva (Post 12622595)
Anyone know the sandwich?

From the bottom up: Plate A, Plate B, tan embossing mat or Plumber's Pak from Lowe's, Cardstock, Brass Stencil, Plate B. May need to run thru several times based on cardstock thickness. Here is a file for CB sandwich stacks - I found this somewhere here on SCS, and had saved it. Hope this info helps.

ckbythesea 01-07-2009 03:52 PM

I finally saw that CB sandwich guide the other day, and was trying it with a mousepad and a brass stencil, and even with a lighter weight cardstock I wasn't quite satisfied with the result. Next I'm going to try out the recipe for the Fiskars texture plates.

The Cuttlebug sandwich guide is in the Downloads forum, Lists and Charts subforum.

Shopping Diva 01-07-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfan (Post 12622950)
From the bottom up: Plate A, Plate B, tan embossing mat or Plumber's Pak from Lowe's, Cardstock, Brass Stencil, Plate B. May need to run thru several times based on cardstock thickness. Here is a file for CB sandwich stacks - I found this somewhere here on SCS, and had saved it. Hope this info helps.

Thank you!

psychkim 01-10-2009 05:20 PM

How about a "sandwich" for the brass stencils in a Big Shot??? This is the next thing I want to do as I have 100's of brass stencils waiting to be used :)

margiesue 01-10-2009 08:00 PM

I still love them. I used a pumpkin one for Holloween with glitter. I cut sticky paper bigger than the brass plate. (a border) and than stuck the brass plate firmly on the sticky paper and used glitter for the sticky paper trim. I than used different colors of glitter for the eyes and such that was open sticky paper inside the brass plate that is still stuck on the paper. After all the open spaces were full I took the brass plate carefully off the paper and than used different colors for the now new sticky surface that the brass was covering. (eg the Pumpkin orange and stems) You will need to work carefully sometimes with the glitter not to cover some areas when working with different colors with differnent areas but it will turn out nice. I taped or glued the back on some cardstock and finished up the front up with simple decorations . I got many compliments on them. I plan on doing this with some of the Valentine brass plates.

SanJoseLady 01-10-2009 09:29 PM

I have a recipe for the Brass Stencils

on my blog and on you tube. Click here for the written tutorial, and here for the video. I tried the recipe that is included in the download here, and wasn't happy with the result (didn't emboss deep enough for me)

Here is the recipe: BE WARNED though, this is a "tight" fit and some cuttlebugs may not take well to the sandwhich, if that is the case, fiddle with the recipe a bit, take out the cork and add some card stock instead.

Also, your stencils may be a bit bent going through the cuttlebug, I just take them and place them on the opposite side and run them through again and they are usually fine after that.

Here is the recipe:

Plate A
Plate B
Cork Pad from the gasket kit
Red Rubber Pad from the gasket kit
Card Stock
Stencil
Plate B

I love that I can use all my brass stencils now, and it is so quick to use them : )

kmm1993 01-10-2009 10:24 PM

I bought my Big Shot a few years ago just for my brass templates. They make beautiful cards!!!

SKICIO 01-10-2009 10:43 PM

I'm not letting go of my brassies even though I don't use them as often. But everytime I do, it reminds me of the reason why I buy them in the first place ;)

BeeJinx 01-14-2009 09:25 AM

Still use the few that I have from time to time. Makes a nice addition to a card. Use Vallum with them most of the time.

pjw2855 01-14-2009 10:35 AM

Ladies....Based on my experience of using the brass stencils for many years in the Cuttlebug, you will not get as deep an impression as you do with the Cuttlebug embossing folders. Putting multiple shims or other things to make the sandwich thicker will only make things more difficult and you stand the chance of damaging your machines.

Just use the regular sandwich for the brass stencils and be happy with the results. It is still a very nice result.

There is a big difference between the Cuttlebug embossing folders and a brass stencil therefore the result will be different.

Your brass stencil should not be bent or distorted if used with the proper sandwich in the Cuttlebug, BIGkick or Big Shot.

Patti

fura 01-14-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKICIO (Post 12674822)
I'm not letting go of my brassies even though I don't use them as often. But everytime I do, it reminds me of the reason why I buy them in the first place ;)

I feel the same way. I don't use them as often, but when I do, I'm glad I have it.

BillieDee 01-14-2009 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855 (Post 12716546)
Ladies....Based on my experience of using the brass stencils for many years in the Cuttlebug, you will not get as deep an impression as you do with the Cuttlebug embossing folders. Putting multiple shims or other things to make the sandwich thicker will only make things more difficult and you stand the chance of damaging your machines.

Just use the regular sandwich for the brass stencils and be happy with the results. It is still a very nice result.

There is a big difference between the Cuttlebug embossing folders and a brass stencil therefore the result will be different.

Your brass stencil should not be bent or distorted if used with the proper sandwich in the Cuttlebug, BIGkick or Big Shot.

Patti

I completely agree with Patti. I will suggest that you might spritz the paper with water (or that special destabilizing stuff) and your imprint may come out a little deeper.

vanislandwoman 01-14-2009 11:55 AM

I have the brass stencils (from SU and others). I do not have a machine of any kind. (Sometimes to me, the machined ones seem TOO deep and crisp...I'm wierd, I know, hehe)
Doing cards and other artwork for me is about the process, not just the end product. I enjoy the feeling, the action, of running my stencilling tool around the stencils and the softer, not-so-crisp, resulting images. Now, people with the machines may get a similar nice feeling from cranking the sandwich through and then seeing their results. I don't know.
So I guess it's different strokes for different folks, eh?