Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Cricut help please

My mom gave me a brand new cricut personal cutter #29-0001 that she bought from HSN about 3 years or more ago. It has never been taken out of the package. I have purposely not purchased a cricut because I didn't want to have to buy lots of cartridges. I remember reading here on the forum a bit back about SCAL software (?) that would allow you to cut most anything with the cricut. Can someone help me with any info on this. I know that it is in the forum but have already spent a good amount of time searching and reading without finding out what I need other than cricut made SCAL stop making the software. I would really like to use this machine to cut images not on the cartridges that came with it. Thanks so much!!

For You, O Lord, have made me glad by what You have done, I will sing for joy at the works of Your hands. Psalm 92:4
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were you I would go to the community forum at Cricut. For some reason I don't think SCAL will work with the Cricut machines anymore.....but I could be wrong.

But if it doesn't you might still want to invest in at least of couple of value packed cartridges. The 2 I would recommend are;

Close to my Heart - Art Philosophy ( comes with 6 over lays- tons of designs) and -
Ultimate Creative Sampler.

If you only have those 2 cartridges you would be pretty well set with almost everything you'd want. Figure it this way - the machine was free - so indulge yourself with a few good all purpose carts, and see where it goes from there.

Oh and since it's never been used, you will probably want to register it. And if you sign up and install Cricut Craft Room online you can usually get some free designs that way too. I don't have too much other info about CCR because I use a Gypsy so have never taken advantage of the craft room. But read through the forums on the Cricut website and you'll get a good idea of how to proceed.

Last edited by sewnmachine; 05-29-2012 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

SCAL is no longer sold for Cricut machines at all. The makers of SCAL and MTC softwares were sued by Provo Craft and they had to cease and desist. A few months ago, copies of the software were going for $250 on ebay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

I feel like I heard not long ago that PC had their own SCAL-type software coming out but I could be wrong.

There's some info that might help answer your question better here -> http://thecutsource.blogspot.com/?m=1

Last edited by Leeann34; 05-29-2012 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: Link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2012, 07:31 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks so much for the advice. I need to spend some time reading, researching and learning to use my new toy.

For You, O Lord, have made me glad by what You have done, I will sing for joy at the works of Your hands. Psalm 92:4
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I know that cartridge costs can add up quickly. I purchased most of mine for less than $15 a piece on EBay, and they were all new sealed in the box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2012, 07:59 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

cricutmachine.com has had some great prices on carts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2012, 06:40 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

There is no outside software that works with the cricut anymore. Cricut has the craftroom but you still have to buy cartridges. You may want to look at the cameo. I don't have one but I have heard great things about it. On sale you can get it for $215.00. You don't need to use cartridges with this machine. There are a number of post about the Cameo on this site.
Reply With Quote Likes