Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which one would you perfer

which machine would you preer and why? the Cricut expression 2 or the sizzix big shot?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Both! Actually, it really depends on what you want to do. With the big shot you can use embossing folders which are great for cards, as well as cut out shapes. However, if you want fast cutting of letters, shapes, etc, then the cricut is what you need. I personally have both. In general, I use my big shot for cards and the cricut for scrapbooking.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I like to get away from electronic stuff when I craft so I'd choose the Big Shot. I'm also enough of a geek to notice and prefer the slightly rounded edge you get with a crush cut rather than a blade cut. Obviously any mechanical cutter and die gives you a crush cut and any electronic cutter is using a blade but as it happens I do have a Big Shot and have found Sizzix/Ellison to stand by their products so I'd happily recommend it. I had a problem with the bearings in my first machine and they replaced it, no problem. The replacement has been fine (and my dad actually managed to strip the broken machine and replace the bearings with something different so my mum has that one, rescuing it from landfill!).

Joan is right about folders for texture as well. All reasons to love a Big Shot!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
I like to get away from electronic stuff when I craft so I'd choose the Big Shot. I'm also enough of a geek to notice and prefer the slightly rounded edge you get with a crush cut rather than a blade cut. Obviously any mechanical cutter and die gives you a crush cut and any electronic cutter is using a blade but as it happens I do have a Big Shot and have found Sizzix/Ellison to stand by their products so I'd happily recommend it. I had a problem with the bearings in my first machine and they replaced it, no problem. The replacement has been fine (and my dad actually managed to strip the broken machine and replace the bearings with something different so my mum has that one, rescuing it from landfill!).

Joan is right about folders for texture as well. All reasons to love a Big Shot!
I'm with Angel about the electronic stuff. I just don't have a desire to have a machine whir and cut things out, even the ones everyone loves, like the Cameo. I'm a hands on person, and enjoy the process of stamping, die cutting, etc. I even like to handcut around my stamped images and pop them up on my cards.

I've thought about getting a Big Shot, because everyone says how sturdy it is, but I have a Cuttlebug that I'm very happy with for now. It does everything I want it to do. I'm limited in space on my crafting table and I like that the Cuttlebug has such a small footprint. I keep it in a cardboard file box, along with my embossing folders. I can just take it out, put it on the table and use it, and then put it away easily on the floor beside me.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Big Shot....I love it. I have a friend who is a Cricut addict and to me, all of her cards sort of look the same...every cut-out ends up as the focal point...little truck, little pirate, little bird and sentiment on the inside. I agree with the others who think that the hand made look is more pleasing. I will also add, though, that if I had to make 10-20 cards at a time, the Cricut would be a smart tool to have around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 03:44 AM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Here is a blog post on the Big Shot Pro and the Big Shot:

3 Monkeys throwing around some....PAPER!!!: Big Shot Pro & His little brother the Big Shot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I would say big shot or a manual die cutting machine has its own place and can't be replaced by an electronic die cutting machine like cricut or cameo for the fact that you can use embossing folders with it. Additionally many times you want to print something and then cut it - in such cases a manual DM is helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes