Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Best scissors for cutting ribbon? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/best-scissors-cutting-ribbon-164779/)

Joan B 07-13-2006 07:25 AM

Best scissors for cutting ribbon?

I'm ribbon impaired. What's the best scissors for cutting ribbon? I know I have to pull the ribbon taut to cut cleanly, but still get some raggedy edges. Thanks!

sushiquilter 07-13-2006 07:29 AM

I always use my Paper Snips! It may be bad & wrong (I think saving them for paper might keep them sharper), but they work SO WELL!

Desir�e

Tah Dah! 07-13-2006 07:30 AM

I have a pair of Fiskars Micro Tips that I use. I think the biggest factor is just to have a sharp, fine blade. The Paper Snips would probably work well, too!

AmyR 07-13-2006 07:40 AM

I used to use my Paper Snips - they cut ribbon *so* well - untill I started using the snips on CS a *lot* - after that I could barely cut through ribbon w/ them. So now I just use my fiskars scissors - they cut ribbon like buttah!! :D

lilorangemouse 07-13-2006 07:41 AM

Paper Snips. They are amazing!

sweetpea_119 07-13-2006 07:49 AM

Paper Snips are my vote, too :)

If you cut a lot of cs with them & have issues with them dulling, you might invest in a pair just for ribbon...that's the way that sewing ladies do it :)

Joan B 07-13-2006 08:04 AM

Hmm -- 2 scissors. ok, that makes sense.

kimryden 07-13-2006 08:05 AM

I have a pair that I use just for paper and then a pair that I use for everything else. They are only $10! Not bad for GREAT scissors!

indyemmert 07-13-2006 08:20 AM

Honestly, I use a pair of Creative Memories scissors because I don't want to dull my paper snips. They work great!

my4kidzmom 07-13-2006 08:21 AM

Paper snips is the way to go!! :cool:

BSandJCline 07-13-2006 08:27 AM

I use paper snips as well. One trick I have learned with cutting ribbon is to make sure you cut it at an angle. Otherwise your ends will fray because your cutting on the grain. Hope that makes sense.

PattiLynn 07-13-2006 08:40 AM

Honestly, my kids old Fiskar scissors from elementary school work the best. Then I can be assured that my paper snips stay sharp for my paper.

Benniesma 07-13-2006 08:45 AM

Paper snips all the way! :)

amysings 07-13-2006 08:50 AM

I love my Fiskars Micro Tips for ribbon also. The paper snips don't even come close, IMO. I like *really sharp scissors*. Can't stand to have a frayed edge, or to have to snip that ribbon more than once. I bought my Fiskars at Joann's using a 40% off coupon, and paid less than $10. Love them. I use them for sewing, too. My mom (a super seamstress) used them and loved them so much, I bought her a pair. We both like them better than even our Ginghers (very expensive fabric scissors) for fabric and ribbon.

Nedatn 07-13-2006 08:53 AM

I have cutterbees and love them.

Annetta

GaSunshine 07-13-2006 08:55 AM

Cutterbees

CutterBees and Color Bees - different colors for different tasks!

sweetpea_119 07-13-2006 09:59 AM

Paper Snips are my vote, too :)

If you cut a lot of cs with them & have issues with them dulling, you might invest in a pair just for ribbon...that's the way that sewing ladies do it :)

MSBetsyZ 07-13-2006 10:20 AM

I actually have a pair of sewing shears...Gingher. Absurdly expensive but got them when they were a loss leader somewhere several years ago. LOL, when I THINK about how I used to guard those scissors, lol! Bliss to use when cutting fabric/ribbon, though! My ribbon holder has a slot to hang scissors, so I just keep them there so I don't grab them by accident.

adifrog 07-13-2006 11:24 AM

I agree that the Gingher scissors are awesome, and I also wanted to throw in some tips I'd heard. When I was learning to sew, my teacher told me that cutting paper dulls your scissors. So, it really is best to use a separate pair for paper, and another for ribbon/fabric. Also, I've heard that cutting a few times through a sheet of aluminum foil is a quick way to sharpen dulling scissors.

Hope this helps!

scoopy 07-13-2006 11:27 AM

My Fiskars work great! Having a sharp and clean blade is definitely important.

prchvs 07-13-2006 11:35 AM

If you use scissors on paper, it dulls the blade so I would suggest having one pair for your ribbons and a seperate one for paper cutting. That's what I do anyway!

Stamper121 07-13-2006 12:52 PM

I use those little "Cutterbee" ones..very sharp though..watch those fingers..lol

laurakj 07-13-2006 01:20 PM

CutterBees from Walmart $6.97 cheapest around :) A trick I do, cuz I can't stand those ragged edges, take a lighter (or candle flame works too) and just barely get it close to the ribbon. Most ribbon is made with Nylon and will melt to seal up the end :)

Just don't try this with Twill tape (it stinks!) it's cotton! LOL

AmyR 07-13-2006 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
I actually have a pair of sewing shears...Gingher. Absurdly expensive but got them when they were a loss leader somewhere several years ago. LOL, when I THINK about how I used to guard those scissors, lol! Bliss to use when cutting fabric/ribbon, though! My ribbon holder has a slot to hang scissors, so I just keep them there so I don't grab them by accident.

Oooohhh I bought a pair of those for my mom a few years ago - maybe I can sneak them away from her w/out her noticing :twisted:

Nah I think I'll buy another pair of SU paper snips just for ribbon - they cut ribbon SO well if they aren't used for paper too (paper is the worst for dulling scissors) - even better than my Fiskars.

jeanstamping2 07-13-2006 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
I'm ribbon impaired. What's the best scissors for cutting ribbon? I know I have to pull the ribbon taut to cut cleanly, but still get some raggedy edges. Thanks!

I have 6 pairs of Scissor's Big and small.
2 pair are for cutting Rubber,
2 pair are for cutting Paper
2 Pair are for cutting Ribbon and Fabric. ONLY.
Fiskar are the brand that I use.
And since I am left handed they are all Left handed Scissor's

pigfingers 07-13-2006 05:43 PM

Gee, didn't realize how specific I was with scissors -

I use the SU scissors for rubber stamp mounting
I have some regular scissors (I think the CM Thank you ones from eons ago) for paper
I have Fiskars micro tip scissors for fine paper cutting/paper piecing

And the answer to your question is ---I have a pair of Fiskars set aside for ribbon and the rare fabric (I don't sew so it would have to be something card related)

I also have used a Fiskars rotary cutter with a straight edge (metal ruler) and mat for getting a nice clean cut on the ends of ribbons after attaching to my project.

pigfingers 07-13-2006 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigfingers
I also have used a Fiskars rotary cutter with a straight edge (metal ruler) and mat for getting a nice clean cut on the ends of ribbons after attaching to my project.

I should add it wasn't one of those rotary cutters like you cut paper with, it was a rotary cutter handheld, almost like a mini pizza cutter that people use for quilting.

stampin_sher 07-28-2006 04:00 PM

maybe we should use the new rotary tool in the tool kit....and I have been known to cut ribbon on my CM small cutter box thing.

hedgiemama 07-28-2006 04:05 PM

Maybe my scissors are my rubber cutting problem, although they are craft/durable scissors that are supposed to cut that sort of thing. Now, also having a problem cutting ribbon with my yellow bee scissors, as if they have gone dull really fast.
Is the secret to keep them sharpened? Or a certain brand?

Marig0ld 07-28-2006 05:06 PM

silly me, but i guess i am weird... I use my rubber cutting scissors to cut my ribbons!!! It goes through it like nothin and makes nice straight untorn edges!
:)

Mary JB 07-28-2006 05:36 PM

My favorite scissors for most anything are the ones that your buy at flea markets by the dentist picks little mirrors,etc. . If you ever get to Shipsawanna, Indiana or Webster Florida or any flea market for that matter you should be able to find them. They are only $2.00 a pair and I have several pairs. I really don't think any of them have dulled as they are really a medical supply and I have had them for years

photocropper 07-28-2006 05:50 PM

Amy you are not weird at all!
I also use my SU Rubber Scissors to cut my ribbon....they cut really great!

TJStamper 07-28-2006 07:55 PM

As others have said, you should have a separate pair for your ribbon. I have 2 sets of SU! Snips ... one for paper and one for ribbon. The pair for ribbon has a ribbon (of course) tied to the handle. Works for me! Good luck on your quest!

Jovi 07-28-2006 08:09 PM

I also use Fiskars Micro Tips for ribbon, I also keep a extra one for cutting paper ;)