Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:15 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Paper Storage - Sun and Dust Damage?

Hi All! I'm mostly a card-maker, but lately I have been getting back into scrapbooking. Up until now I've only been using 8.5x11 cardstock for my cards, and I have a filing system that works great for me to store that CS. It's away from sun, it's covered so it doesn't get 'dusty' (not that I have any around long enough to collect dust) and it's organized well. I recently bought some 12x12 SU cardstock to scrapbook with. I have the EE and the RR in both the normal and the textured. I want to store it in those 12x12 cropper hopper magazine file styled holders, but I worry about it being exposed to the sun and dust. I can put it in a spot that might not get any direct sunlight, but I still worry that over time it will fade, or that it will get damaged some way from being out in the open. Has anyone encountered this problem? Where do you store your paper? Is it 'protected' in some ways from dust and such? Or is it just out in the open, and you haven't had any problems? I worry that since I don't scrap as much as I make cards that the CS will be around longer then usual, thus having more of a chance of getting ruined....

Anyways, sorry so long-winded, but i'm just curious!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 07:27 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a paper organizer that I got from Michaels - tall with slots for paper to go in. It came with a cover but I never used the cover. Just put the paper in and grabbed when I needed. But I started to notice with colors I didn't use much (or at all) that the top part that was a bit exposed was off color. The cardstock underneath was fine but the top had a line that was different color. And it wasn't really in direct sun light, but there is light in one form or another that would hit the paper trays. So now I cover it with the cover it came with. Its a pain to use (to get off) but it does its job.

I'd make sure the paper isn't in any direct sun at all, and can you throw something over the paper holders to keep it dark?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 07:36 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you want to continue with your current systems then maybe a sheet of cheap white cardstock/paper like GP on the top of each layer? You could always print the color on the sheet so you know what is underneath.

I'm looking at a filing cabinet for 12x12

However at the moment I am using Jetmax cubes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 09:41 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sun definitely damages cardstock and very quickly. I have had corners of mine fade, before I got an accordion folder with a top on it that folds over the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post

However at the moment I am using Jetmax cubes.
I have a couple of these too and plan on putting my files in there. Do you cover your paper before you put it in the cubes? or do you just use the cubes as a shelf? :confused: I guess I'm just confused as to how these protect from light and dust?

Thanks everyone for your replies, and please keep them coming! I plan on finding a better storage solution eventually, but we are moving in July so any sort of 're-organization' is on hold until after the big move. (moving to a different province, not just across the street...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I have all my paper in cropper hopper storage thingies in the closet of my craft cave. Sunlight (even if it's not direct) will fade paper very quickly. I just have to remember to keep my closet door closed! I vote for keeping it somewhere where it's dark!
Reply With Quote Likes