Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-16-2017, 09:21 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best new paper crafting tool

I want a gift for a paper crafter who has a lot. I thought a tool would be a good idea. I need an idea for a relatively new one on the market (or perhaps an oldie we don't always notice). I won't say price is not an object but don't let that stop you from making recommendations. I'd like to omit Cricut, Silhouette, Sizzix etc. die cutting tools. I know she has them.
Thank you.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2017, 09:53 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

One of the hottest new items this season is the Tim Holtz Stamp Positioner. I have it and like it a lot. There has been lots and lots of anticipation and discussion about it.

https://www.scrapbook.com/store/ton-1707e.html

Here is a thread about it:

Have you seen Tim Holtz's Stamp Positioner? by Bohodiva at Splitcoaststampers

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2017, 12:29 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Your other option could be a gift certificate for her favourite online/local craft store?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2017, 04:15 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I know GCs are not so whoo whoo BUT they are great way for someone to get something they want.

If they dont have a MISTI, I would definitely get the TH board above. Many people are getting it in addition to the MISTI

Does she have the WRMK envelope board? The newer 1-2-3 one will also make boxes and bows. I am saying this is the best price, just showing it.

https://www.scrapbook.com/store/ac-6...-shopping-feed

Maybe a spread for her cutting platform? A new pair of clear plates, the embossing pad, a metal shim if she doesnt have those....or the extended length platform. I am not hearing enough good things about the magnetic platform to suggest that.

Does she have a good carry case for play dates or classes?

The clarity brushes are lovely for blending backgrounds
This is the best price I have seen today:
https://www.artistsupplysource.com/p...hoC97sQAvD_BwE

The distress oxide inks are very hot right now. They are expanding the collection too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2017, 09:00 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

How about gifting her a class from Online Card Classes? Here's the link with instructions on how to purchase a class as a gift:

https://www.onlinecardclasses.com/gift-a-class/

Along with the gift certificate, you could give her something representative of the class she'll be taking: a paintbrush for a watercolor class, a 6" paper pad for the class on backgrounds or the one on using patterned paper, for example.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2017, 04:50 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it were me I would want a gift certificate. Unless you have actually heard this person say she wishes she had a particular thing, it's will be hard to hit it out of the park since you say she already has a lot. All of us have a mental wish list going, and if someone gave me a nice sized GC to someplace like Simon Says Stamp (or some other vendor who sells a wide variety) I would have a blast deciding how to spend it. Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2017, 05:03 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
If it were me I would want a gift certificate. Unless you have actually heard this person say she wishes she had a particular thing, it's will be hard to hit it out of the park since you say she already has a lot. All of us have a mental wish list going, and if someone gave me a nice sized GC to someplace like Simon Says Stamp (or some other vendor who sells a wide variety) I would have a blast deciding how to spend it. Just my two cents.
I totally agree! My bestie and I both have more "stuff" than either of us will use in several lifetimes, and I've told her "no more" repeatedly, but she still sends stamp sets every occasion (we are on opposite sides of the country since I've moved). I would SO much rather have a gift certificate! There are holes here and there in my stash, but she has no way of knowing what they are, and it would be fun to go hunting for "just the right thing" to fill them!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2017, 06:58 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Default Great ideas.

Frankly, I love nothing more than a gift card, but the group wants a "real" thing. The Tim Holtz positioner is a great idea. A full "kit" for a Sizzix or Cricut is an excellent idea. (Can't have too many Sizzix cutting pads or Cricut pads for that matter.) You made me think that all of the pens for the Cricut would be good.Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2017, 08:53 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Trying to think outside the box...

1 - Does she like crafting while watching tv on the couch or does she do anything that requires lots of turning items around, even Zentangling? Or it can work at a table. We got this item in a Stamp & Scrapbook Tools class and some people would enjoy it:

https://www.totally-tiffany.com/prod...n-board-12x12/

There's also one now for card makers that's smaller. It's not my cuppa: I'll sell or donate mine, but it's high quality and operates very smoothly.

2 - Not a tool, but a really nice set of paints, whether watercolor, metallic, etc. If you want suggestions, I/others can give them, and Kristina Werner has lots of videos. Depending on price, you could include high quality watercolor or other paper, brushes, etc., though so much depends on personal taste.

3 - If you know she's not 100% happy with her trimmer, a Carl rotary is excellent - about $85-90, so it's spendy. But you'd need to know she'd like one, since trimmer choice is yet another personal decision. : )

On the off chance that would ring her chimes, this is the one I got, based on a recommendation on this board. It's unlike any trimmer I've owned or tried in multiple LSS's in terms of precision and quality. (Actually, one LSS has one.) You can cut many sheets at a time, paper is clamped down with a quick push (occasionally, mistakenly with one boob), and it cuts like buttah. That said, I firmly believe no trimmer (or almost any tool) is perfect.

Rotary trimmers don't (generally?) have measurements to the right of the cutting blade, IOW, no measurements below the 1" mark. So if you have an already narrow strip of CS or paper and want to trim it into even narrower strips, it's a challenge. I use a Fiskars for the rare times do that, or sometimes shove the paper through the plastic guard with a thin piece of chipboard.

https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Rotary-...ary+trimmer+12

I hope you tell us what you decide.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2017, 09:27 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Default More great ideas

Love the rotating design board. May buy the trimmer for myself! In fact, may buy both of them for myself.p.s. That Totally Tiffany site is great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by archiegoodwinView Post
Love the rotating design board. May buy the trimmer for myself! In fact, may buy both of them for myself.p.s. That Totally Tiffany site is great.
Step away from the rotating board and no one will get hurt. ; ) You clearly have earned an "I have been enabled" award, given that you came here looking for someone else, but instead... And welcome to the board!

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2017, 04:15 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Check this one out!!! https://www.hsn.com/products/totally...-board/8180245
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I like the idea of a gift card because I'm picky about my tools and if someone gives me something I feel obligated to keep it even if I don't like it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2017, 02:47 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't forget to check Dick Blick on prices. I've found some items are cheaper there than on the sites strictly for stamping. You can get more for the $$$! There is a board there that might be cheaper than the one's above, for sketching in the field & they come in different sizes. The larger size has a handle too. The Silver Black Velvet Water Color Brushes are MUCH CHEAPER there also. I also suggest checking Jennifer McGuire's Blog for her FAVORITE TOOLS! She has a list of them that would be NICE for choosing from! I LOVE ALL of the suggestions above! Gift Certificates from her FAVORITE COMPANY are WONDERFUL!!!! Is there a new product she has been talking about trying? Something worn out? Or something she needs an up-grade on?

YES! Do tell what you choose in the long run? My girlfriend & I swap gift cards on Christmas & our Birthdays, to our Favorite Sites at the time, then tell each other what we got. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2017, 05:51 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

I would love a gift card, I think you should come up with a very cute idea to present the gift card. One Christmas I made a coffee cup made out of paper
with a gift card to her favorite coffee store. Be creative with how you give it. How about some envelopes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2017, 06:17 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

A lazy susan for crafting? Who knew! Interesting idea! Could be good for coloring.

I'm loving Linda's class idea! Knowledge is priceless! Maybe you can arrange it so she picks her own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2017, 09:30 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Received 301 Likes on 141 Posts

I'm pretty much that papercrafter who has most everything, so when it comes to gifts, my list of wants is limited and practical, and that same list is what I use for gift-giving. I like to gift:

Pre-cut reams of cardstock - in half for card bases, or cut into fourths for stamping/coloring.

Boxes of quality envelopes

Gift baskets are a favorite, because they can be as small or large as my budget allows. A few of my favorites are:

Basket of adhesives: Stick-It, multi-medium matte, double-sided adhesive, the big roll of double-sided foam tape, pop-dots, refills for their favorite tape runners, etc.

Basket of miscellaneous items: Sponge daubers, foam pads for ink blenders, blades for their paper trimmer and X-acto or other cutter, ink refills, acetate, baby wipes, etc.

Basket of sample items, things the recipient may not have yet tried, or something I discovered and love. There would be just one or two of each item: Nuvo products, oxide inks or other inks, embossing powder, paint brush, new watercolor paper or cardstock.

I like practical so that the recipient can spend their own money on the fun items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2017, 10:40 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

A gift card in a highly personalized holder, maybe with some tiny gifts and treats in a hand-made box or basket really could be nice since so many choices are personal, and many are written in stone.

I make gift cards pop-up holders decorated specifically for the recipient. Examples: for our baseball park usher, I cut up a program to use as designer paper. The program included the phrase "it's not just a ball club, it's..." in bright block letters, which is what was seen when the holder was opened, and it was finished with the name of our usher and sections he works in. (It's not just a ball club, it's Ron's sections ___ and ___.)

My hair stylist bought her first home, so designer paper with little houses was used for the inside, and the belly band that went around the pop-up included stamped sentiments like "vacuum," and "chores." The CS was charcoal gray, since she wears black/white/gray. : )

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2017, 08:26 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you all. First, she has the Misti so that's out (I think we all bought it at the same time!). What she doesn't seem to have are big Xyron machines and she borrows a friend's all the time. They sell the 9" & 5" together. With a coupon, we can throw in some cartridges. However, we saw a great tote on totally tiffany. So she'll get one (and so will I). Thank you for all of the suggestions. You've solved another problem--gifts for the crop we hold once a year here in North Las Vegas. The "gift baskets" are a great idea. Crafters can't have enough adhesive, trimmer blades--a sort of "essentials" bag. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes