Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   best die cutter? Is something up with Sizzix? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/best-die-cutter-something-up-sizzix-108119/)

Wnderlnd 12-30-2005 12:38 PM

best die cutter? Is something up with Sizzix?

Okay, I have a Zip e Mate that I bought and used once. I don't really care for it, but I tliked that I could use pretty much any brand of die and any thickness. It did work fine, but I sometimes really had to use a lot of muscle to move it through the machine.

SO I thought about selling it, but now I think something is up with Sizzix...can anyone fill me in? Is there a better machine that won't make me feel totally guilty for buying? All the local stores seem to be selling Sizzix stuff and NOT restocking.

(I have two Sizzlets alphabets that I bought at Mike's for 50% off each.)

Hmm....

Thanks for all your knowledge!

Stolynn 12-30-2005 12:46 PM

All the local stores seem to be selling Sizzix stuff and NOT restocking.

I sure hope not since I just bought mine!!! I'm hoping that it's just the fact that Christmas cleared them out.

Qbee 12-30-2005 03:18 PM

If you are looking for sizzix dies, I suggest that you sign up to be on the sizzix.com email list. You can also request a copy of their latest catalog, so that you can see all their dies. If you are on their email list, you will also be notified of upcoming sales. They had some good sales this fall.

clognmom 12-30-2005 04:29 PM

I think it is just post Christmas sell-off. Stores will be doing inventory soon so the less they have to count the better. I do know that Hobby Lobby will no longer be selling Sizzix. They are switching to something else, but the assistant manager couldn't remember what is was since they were told over 6 months ago about the switch in die-cuts that they would be carrying.

Sizzix.com has great sales. Check on Tuesday for super Tuesday specials that are only available on Tuesdays.

I just got my Sizzix for Christmas and really like it.

mrslevite 12-30-2005 05:03 PM

ellison is coming out with a new die cutter. Here's the fact sheet: http://www.ellison.com/corp/UK/about/ellisondesign.htm

I'm not sure if I want to get one of these or wait till I can get a sizzix really cheap. :)

1stclassnana 12-30-2005 05:40 PM

I won't be much help because I have a ZEM also and like it...have had no problem turning the handle.

janicemarz 12-30-2005 07:11 PM

i have sizzix and have used it a few times! i hope they don't do away with it....

stamper4armyman 12-30-2005 08:02 PM

The AC Moore in my area started declining on stock and i asked about it. They said they were having issues on keeping the newer dies from being stolen. They put in a locked cabinet and now if I want to buy I have to get someone and they hold it up front to be paid for.

CelineeBeenie 12-31-2005 12:01 AM

I really like my Sizzix. Two of the Michael's stores I go to (North Vancouver and Richmond), you have to go to the customer service counter and choose the Sizzix die that you want - it's like buying diamonds! The customer service person stands there and watches you. If you don't want the die, she takes it back and puts it in a basket behind the counter.
C
:)

BJtheDJ 12-31-2005 06:04 AM

Presently I work in one of those craft stores and as far as I know they have no plans to discontinue the Sizzix, it is one of their best selling items. I think they keep a minimum amount on hand as shoplifting is a huge issue with the dies. All of our Alphabets and most of our Sizzlets are kept under lock & key. Last year when I worked at another craft store they had actually a ring of theives that were hitting all our stores about once a month. When they finally caught up with this group they found out that they had stolen thousands & thousands of dollars worth of dies & acessories and were marketing them on on-line auctions. 90% of their sizzix merchandise is now kept locked up and they downsized the amount of classic dies they carry. They would special order any dies they didn't carry anymore.

I fear if this trend continues most of the craft stores will have to do the same.

Wnderlnd 12-31-2005 07:04 AM

So do most people prefer the Sizzix machine? I am thinking of selling my Zip E Mate then. If the new machine from Sizzix is 40% lighter, it may be worth it. I guess I am undecided.

I know a lot of people don't care for the Fiskars Shape Cutter, but I don't mind it all all. I made all our Christmas tags with it this year and they looked great! Even my DH could use it with no problem--I do have the newest version of the cutter that looks much better to hold.

Thanks!!

vensung1 12-31-2005 08:09 AM

From what I understand Ellison and Provocraft were in business together on the sizzix- I have heard that they have parted ways and now Ellison has out their new version of the machine only making some minor adjustments to size, weight, etc...

Sizzix recently had a great 40% off total order around the holidays so I suspect the competition may benefit us in the long run.