Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   ATG questions (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/atg-questions-512510/)

TRome625 11-18-2010 09:48 AM

ATG questions

I recently bought the ATG 714 gun and was wondering if I should use the 3M Gold tape or just the regular tape for making cards. Also where is a good place to buy the tape?

buggainok 11-18-2010 09:55 AM

I got a couple of rolls of the 3 M Gold tape free when I bought my ATG gun, so I used them first.

Then I did some research and decided not to use the pricey tape for my cardmaking. It doesn't matter if the tape I use on cards is acid free, lol. Also, I heard good reports about the generic tape.

I got some generic and have been very happy with it. So has my pocketbook!

Here is where I order my tape. It's a super deal and has free shipping. It's on ebay, but not an auction. It is a Buy it Now item with the price stated.

12 ROLLS - CRAFT TAPE - ATG PHOTO TAPE - 1/4" X 36YD - eBay (item 220550893459 end time Nov-30-10 07:09:28 PST)

Shelby68 11-18-2010 10:58 AM

I've always purchased from framing supplies dot com and have always had a very good experience...I prefer the 1/4" tape for card making and buy 12 at a time
3MATGTape

bobkitten 11-18-2010 07:23 PM

Tara, I have had my ATG for 3 years and I've always used the regular 1/4 inch 924 tape from framingsupplies.com. It's great stuff! I think you only need the gold label tape if you're doing scrapbooking too and want archival-type adhesive.

Scrapjanny 11-19-2010 03:23 AM

I get acid-free 1/4" rolls for under $2 each at The Tape Depot. I've never had a problem with them. I do find, however, that the Scotch brand that came with the pink ATG (and the refills I bought separately) have a moldy smell. I won't be buying them again. :(

My3LittleMonkeys 11-20-2010 11:20 PM

I use the Tape Depot tape as well. Love it!

Ridiculously Obsessed 11-25-2010 12:27 PM

I have not noticed a moldy smell on my tape refills for the Scotch brand --however, if you do not want your card falling apart get the Pink ATG Gun!!

sewnmachine 11-25-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridiculously Obsessed (Post 17619582)
I have not noticed a moldy smell on my tape refills for the Scotch brand --however, if you do not want your card falling apart get the Pink ATG Gun!!

What is the difference between the pink ATG gun and the other ATG guns besides the color? Does the pink one lay the tape down better?

Ridiculously Obsessed 11-27-2010 07:49 AM

I have only used the pink one so cannot answer that question. However ---I bought the scotch regulary tape instead of the acid free --as thought it was cheaper for Christmas cards --and I was not very happy with it. The one roll was awful ---the 2nd roll was better. Think i will buy the acid free from now on even more expensive! Or --
is there another brand that works in the ATG that is better??

Ldyglfr62 12-15-2010 10:18 AM

The pink and red guns are the same although the pink may be a little lighter and less durable but only time will tell. I have both and love them equally.

Michellena317 12-16-2010 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainok (Post 17592392)
I got a couple of rolls of the 3 M Gold tape free when I bought my ATG gun, so I used them first.

Then I did some research and decided not to use the pricey tape for my cardmaking. It doesn't matter if the tape I use on cards is acid free, lol. Also, I heard good reports about the generic tape.

I got some generic and have been very happy with it. So has my pocketbook!

Here is where I order my tape. It's a super deal and has free shipping. It's on ebay, but not an auction. It is a Buy it Now item with the price stated.

12 ROLLS - CRAFT TAPE - ATG PHOTO TAPE - 1/4" X 36YD - eBay (item 220550893459 end time Nov-30-10 07:09:28 PST)

Thanks for this sticky! I have been trying to figure out if I should reorder tape for my ATG 700 or get the pink gun with the 1/4" tape. Since the price was so good, I just ordered some from the link above. Thanks!

Erin in Okc 12-16-2010 11:46 AM

I saw my friend's pink one, and I think it is exactly the same as the red one, only pink. The quality seems just as good, to me.

Cynamom 12-18-2010 07:20 AM

I just bought the pinkish Scotch tape gun from Michael's with a coupon. I was wondering, since I am new to these, are all the tape refills interchangeable or do you have to get Scotch? I picked up some at Michael's, but I'd be up for a better deal. I buy them for $5.99 then put a 40 percent coupon on it. I use the 1/4 in. tape.

Cynamom 12-18-2010 07:21 AM

And BTW... I have found the tape that came with the Scotch to be GREAT! It seems to stick so well, better than my Tombow rollers. I even had a friend's card that came with a rectangular element fallen off, and I pulled out my gun an put it right back together and it's sticking like sticky glue! LOL

pcousins13 12-19-2010 08:01 AM

I just bought the red atg gun from 3M Scotch ATG 714 1/4" Applicator I Canada I Toll Free: 1-877-877-083 for 34.99!!! This is especially good for fellow Canadians because it is a Canadian company (no customs! Yippee!) and the shipping is only $10! I got tape from there to (the scotch gold) for $5.50 a roll...you have to order 12 rolls though...you can't just order a couple. But, thats good for this small-town-and-no-Scrapbook-store-within-a-3-drive girl!! Apparently 1 roll last the average crafter about a month so I got a years worth. I AM NOT SURE HOW LONG THE SALE IS SO YOU SHOULD CHECK IT OUT SOON! I'm glad that my birthday is in December and everyone gives me money! :)

MathGoddess 12-20-2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My3LittleMonkeys (Post 17602786)
I use the Tape Depot tape as well. Love it!

I have been looking at the Tape Depot site, but can't quite figure out which one to order... any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Lauren

muscrat 12-21-2010 12:46 PM

I am still confused about this ATG thing. ACM has a large red gun and then there is a smaller pink one. Are they the red and pink ones you are talking about? They are different in size, so I thought maybe I was comparing apples to oranges..?

buggainok 12-21-2010 01:34 PM

The Scotch 714 red gun and the "new" pink gun are really identical tape guns, except for the color, and take the same size refills. I have both and just compared them for size.

buggainok 12-21-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathGoddess (Post 17710841)
I have been looking at the Tape Depot site, but can't quite figure out which one to order... any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Lauren

Here is a link to the kind I order for my atg gun. Tape Depot used to sell it a little cheaper on ebay, but I can't find it there anymore. This is still a pretty good deal if you order 12 rolls of 1/4" tape. I don't require that it be acid free, because I just use it on cards.

The Tape Depot - TheTapeDepot.com - The One and Only Tape Superstore. We carry Adhesive Tape, ATG Tape, Conspicuity Tape, Copper Tape, Duct Tape, Camo Tape, Carton Sealing Tape, Double Coated Tape, DOT Tape, Electrical Tape, Floor Tape, Foil Tape, Ga

muscrat 12-21-2010 02:36 PM

Another question: If I don't shop online, will it still save me money? I go to ACMoore and Michaels and use 50% - 60% coupons always. Will this still save me money?

TruckMagic 12-21-2010 03:55 PM

The last time I bought tape, I bought it from the guy on E-bay fast shipping and 12 rools for $18.00 & shipping. Have not checked his prices latly.

pcousins13 12-21-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruckMagic (Post 17715546)
The last time I bought tape, I bought it from the guy on E-bay fast shipping and 12 rools for $18.00 & shipping. Have not checked his prices latly.

Wow! That price is awesome! Do you know if it is available to Canada and if it is acid free? (I'm a scrapbooker and card maker but don't want to have to switch tape).

TruckMagic 12-23-2010 05:45 AM

eBay Store: TheTapeDepot: that is his name he goes by, I checked and did not see any of the tape we use, but maybe e-mail him and ask about it.

stampencamper 12-25-2010 03:13 AM

I have ordered from this company as well, off of ebay. As buggainok, suggested above, free shipping also; which is a real big consideration. I have had one of the first red guns, and have never had any cards fall apart. If the pink one is smaller, may be nicer to have, but found no problem using it, as I am left handed, wouldn't switch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruckMagic (Post 17720134)
eBay Store: TheTapeDepot: that is his name he goes by, I checked and did not see any of the tape we use, but maybe e-mail him and ask about it.

muscrat 12-27-2010 08:06 AM

I didn't read through all the posts so forgive me if this question has been asked, but, why would I want an ATG? Is it worth it for me, who only makes cards, to invest in this? I make cards as needed all year long and only do mass productions at Christmas. I have been using Tombow and 40-50% off coupons at ACMoore and Michaels to purchase the refills. Should I consider an ATG or am I just as well off using the Tombow (and red liner tape from time to time as needed)?

Julie in Indy 12-30-2010 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscrat (Post 17730482)
I didn't read through all the posts so forgive me if this question has been asked, but, why would I want an ATG? Is it worth it for me, who only makes cards, to invest in this? I make cards as needed all year long and only do mass productions at Christmas. I have been using Tombow and 40-50% off coupons at ACMoore and Michaels to purchase the refills. Should I consider an ATG or am I just as well off using the Tombow (and red liner tape from time to time as needed)?

There are lots of discussions on the subject, but to summarize what I know about it:

1. The ATG gun and tape is less expensive
2. ATG tape holds better.

I have TWO ATG guns - one is the yellow 700 and is used for gold tape (scrapbooking) and the other is the pink ATG from Michael's and I keep it loaded with regular ATG tape and use it for card-making.

Hope that helps.

Julie in Indy 12-30-2010 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainok (Post 17715255)
Here is a link to the kind I order for my atg gun. Tape Depot used to sell it a little cheaper on ebay, but I can't find it there anymore. This is still a pretty good deal if you order 12 rolls of 1/4" tape. I don't require that it be acid free, because I just use it on cards.

The Tape Depot - TheTapeDepot.com - The One and Only Tape Superstore. We carry Adhesive Tape, ATG Tape, Conspicuity Tape, Copper Tape, Duct Tape, Camo Tape, Carton Sealing Tape, Double Coated Tape, DOT Tape, Electrical Tape, Floor Tape, Foil Tape, Ga

The link says this tape is acid-free - does that equate to the 3M gold tape?

muscrat 12-30-2010 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie in Indy (Post 17741434)
There are lots of discussions on the subject, but to summarize what I know about it:

1. The ATG gun and tape is less expensive
2. ATG tape holds better.

I have TWO ATG guns - one is the yellow 700 and is used for gold tape (scrapbooking) and the other is the pink ATG from Michael's and I keep it loaded with regular ATG tape and use it for card-making.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply. I think I will just stick with my tombow. I think a lot of you must do this a lot more than I do. (I make a few cards a week). I think I will save my money for more cardstock and other supplies. The last thing I need to do is buy one more thing and regret it later. I have begun thinking my purchases through very carefully since I've been giving away things that I don't use! I still haven't purchased anything for my cardstock storage because of the exact reason.

muscrat 01-02-2011 02:43 PM

So I say I don't think I will get one, but I check them out everytime I go to Michaels or ACMoore. I am wondering though, are there different ATG's? I assume that ATG just means that it's an advance tape glider but that there may be different manufacturers of that? For instance, I saw a large red gun and then a smaller pink one but they don't say "ATG" but a name brand. Which name brands would be best? Neither of these were
3M (or at least I don't think they were).

buggainok 01-02-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscrat (Post 17755965)
So I say I don't think I will get one, but I check them out everytime I go to Michaels or ACMoore. I am wondering though, are there different ATG's? I assume that ATG just means that it's an advance tape glider but that there may be different manufacturers of that? For instance, I saw a large red gun and then a smaller pink one but they don't say "ATG" but a name brand. Which name brands would be best? Neither of these were
3M (or at least I don't think they were).

The red gun is called #714 and is made by Scotch. The pink gun sold at Michaels is exactly the same gun, size and all, as the red one, and is also made by Scotch. I own both. The pink one was cheaper at Michaels with a coupon, so I bought it for a back-up. Sometimes they call the pink gun a "tape glider" which is confusing I think, because it is actually a "tape gun" or ATG gun.

Clear as mud?:)

Here is a review of the ATG gun on Craft Critique which may explain why you "need" an ATG gun:

Craft Critique: Craft product reviews, crafty news and crafting events!: Why YOU need the Scotch ATG Gun!

muscrat 01-02-2011 04:33 PM

Thanks for the link to the review. I checked it out. It looks like the red one I saw at ACMoore today. ACMoore also has a pink one, but it is definately not as big. I am going to look them over closely next time I get up there, which will probably be this week as I have more coupons!

pcousins13 01-02-2011 05:02 PM

I got my ATG (the red one) in the mail a few days ago and am in LOVE!! I do not regret the buy!

buggainok 01-02-2011 05:31 PM

I don't want anyone to be confused about the difference between the Red #714 Scotch ATG Gun, and the Pink ATG product sold at Michaels and other places. There is no difference.

I own both of these tape guns and there is absolutely NO difference in the guns besides the color. I am looking at them right now, and they are the exact same size, work the same way, and take the same tape. It is very obvious they were made from the same mold.

I think some of the confusion about these two products (which as I said, are the same, except for the color) is that the box that the Pink one comes in says "Advanced Tape Glider" and not "gun". The Pink one has "Advanced Tape Glider" printed on the case of the gun also.

weims 01-02-2011 05:59 PM

I am considering an ATG, and would likely buy it locally. However, i didn't see them at M's and haven't been to HL. Are they with the papercrafting stuff? How much are they there - I'd wait until I have a coupon or they're on a good sale

muscrat 01-02-2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weims (Post 17756888)
I am considering an ATG, and would likely buy it locally. However, i didn't see them at M's and haven't been to HL. Are they with the papercrafting stuff? How much are they there - I'd wait until I have a coupon or they're on a good sale

I think my Michaels has them over near the woodcraft items with the glues. That's where they also have the multipacks of tombow. For a long time, I thought they only carried the single tombows and stumbled upon them over there with the glues. Thanks again to Buggainok for the helpful info.

buggainok 01-02-2011 06:34 PM

I guess my mission for the New Year is to help everyone get an ATG if they want one, lol. I've sure posted a lot here.:)

Here is the Pink gun on sale at Overstock for $25.45 and only $1 shipping. That's a good deal if you don't want to search the stores and use a coupon.

Scotch Pink Advanced Tape Glider and Tape (Pack of 2) | Overstock.com

muscrat 01-02-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainok (Post 17757040)
I guess my mission for the New Year is to help everyone get an ATG if they want one, lol. I've sure posted a lot here.:)

Here is the Pink gun on sale at Overstock for $25.45 and only $1 shipping. That's a good deal if you don't want to search the stores and use a coupon.

Scotch Pink Advanced Tape Glider and Tape (Pack of 2) | Overstock.com

Thanks for the link. I went and looked and see that this isn't the same pink one I was talking about. You're right, this Scotch pink one is the same size as the red. I saw a different pink one at ACM that was smaller. I can see where I was confusing everyone. Buggainok is the correct one. My pink one is not the Scotch. It must be some off brand. I will check it out later this week.

Scrapjanny 01-03-2011 04:55 AM

The pink and red ones that everyone is seeing at AC Moore are the Glue Glider tape runners. The refills are way more expensive than the ATG refills ($9 for 30-40 feet, as opposed to under $2 for 36 yards). I had the pink Glue Glider, and some of the things I made with it started to fall apart. I think the ATGs are a much better value and of a much higher quality. JMHO.

muscrat 01-03-2011 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapjanny (Post 17758219)
The pink and red ones that everyone is seeing at AC Moore are the Glue Glider tape runners. The refills are way more expensive than the ATG refills ($9 for 30-40 feet, as opposed to under $2 for 36 yards). I had the pink Glue Glider, and some of the things I made with it started to fall apart. I think the ATGs are a much better value and of a much higher quality. JMHO.

Thanks! I didn't think I was seeing the same ones they were talking about. I will look for the ATG 714 version. I want to save money AND have a better adhesive!

PatHines 01-05-2011 09:15 AM

I have owned the red 714 for 4 yrs. now and just picked up the pink one at the local M's. I also encouraged my friends to purchase the pink one from M's as we all make cards together weekly. The manager told me he would continue to carry the refills for the guns so no need to worry. Imagine my shock when I went in last week and the exact same tape I had paid 9.99 for 3 wks ago had increased to 16.99. Needless to say, I will be finding an online retailer that ships to Canada and will not be recommending to anyone else to purchase the gun from M's.