Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-18-2011, 07:54 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone have a Silhouette SD

I'm looking for another die cut machine since my Cricut only lasted a year and a half. I'm looking for feedback on the Silhouette - anyone have one? I cut SU, Bazzill and DCWV papers most often - does it do a good job cutting on these cardstocks?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I have one and LOVE it! Unless I'm cutting really thin paper I always do a double cut and that will cut through really thick cardstocks including Bazzil. Sometime on very detailed cuts on thicker CS it might not cut a few corners but that's rare. You can slow down the speed and increase the thickness so that helps most of the time.

I love not having to buy cartridges! The Silhouette images are great but you can also convert svg's using Inkscape, so I buy a lot from Lettering Delights. Plus it's compatible with MTC if you want it. It will cut all papers and fabric but not chipboard. It's not 12x12 but being a card maker that's never been an issue for me. I highly recommend it.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had my CraftRobo (same machine but no SD card slot) for about 4 years and I love it. I often thought that I might get a bigger machine to cut 12x12, but I find that I've never needed a bigger machine. I can cut virtually anything. I even cut 200# cardstock on my machine, so I know mine can handle Bazzill and SU without any problems. As Heather, said it doesn't cut chipboard (although I have cut cereal box cardboard with mine with a few passes - but its not consistently cutting through). I also cut acetate with mine. I'm not sure how well the new machines work, but mine is a little work horse and I wouldn't substitute it for anything right now (until it dies). I love that I've never had to buy a cartridge for it and I've designed anything I wanted to cut from images that are free off the internet. There are thousands of free cut files so I don't think you'll ever run out of images to cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love mine! I love how you can make our own designs, shrink or enlarge the designs to whatever size I want. I can purchase the one design I want any time, any day, never leaving my house.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #5  
Glitter Queen

I have an older model Silhouette, it's the same as the SD except it doesn't have the memory card slot, I LOVE It, so far I haven't had any problem with it cutting any kind of cardstock, I don't have any Baizill to try but I've cut the thicker DCWV texture paper and it worked fine, I love that I can find free files on the net and also make my own, with the new silhouette studio program it's so easy to create your own,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2011, 01:05 AM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Smile Silhouette SD Review

I bought my Silhouette SD in March and I love this little cutter! It cannot cut wider than 8" or cut chipboard, but I mostly make cards so these limitations do not bother me at all. I have written quite an extensive review on this cutter and you can read about it in the following link. The review comes in 5 parts and covers everything from the Unboxing, to a print-and-cut tutorial, to a cut test of different weight media.

Jin

Last edited by Jeanne S; 06-25-2011 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: removed promotional
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Jin -- thank you for the linking your reviews - I read them all. And I agree with you that the perfect machine would be a Silhouette that cuts 12x12 and heavier materials.
I am tempted to give the Silhouette a try... The others are just more money than I want to spend and don't look like they are worth the extra expense.

Thank you all for your feedback -- I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 04:57 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

btw I heard Overstock.com has had a good price on the SD lately, you might want to check them out for price comparison.

I've ordered other craft items from them, cheap and fast shipping, good service.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 06:24 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

Wow! i love this site! i was just about to post a thread askign the same question, and lo and behold, theres already one there with ample feedback! *huggles all around*

so anyway, i've shortlisted the silhouette to buy for myself too for a while now. and i kinda missed the offer they had in may where it was for 219USD on the site with three heat transfer rolls thrown in with the machine. My husband said it was bound to have a better offer around the 4th of july sales... but now i'm kind of regretting it.
I'm moving to Tuscon arizona after the next weekend... and i wasnt sure if i'd be able to get it from a shop over there... although the official site does say there are vendors in Dallas? which is where i'll be in End august...but i want to get it when the bargain is best!

While i'm going to check out overstock.com, here's another Q to extend this discussion:
What's the best place to buy the silhouette, and are there any coupons that you can use on the machine?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 06:28 AM   #10  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherHolbrookView Post
btw I heard Overstock.com has had a good price on the SD lately, you might want to check them out for price comparison.

I've ordered other craft items from them, cheap and fast shipping, good service.
OMG! your an angel! 170.99 is cheaper than what i've ever come accross.... are there more versions to the machine? does it have all the essential bits? does it usually go for around 300$? *can't bellieve it* LOL... how long do these offers last!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 06:32 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a Big Shot for Christmas & in shopping for Nestablilites I see I have no use for the small sizes of most sets, so have not invested in any yet.

Instead, I'm considering getting a Silhouette. As part of my investigative process, I've joined a Yahoo Silhouette Users group to learn what they have been using their cutter for & see their projects, get an idea of how much they love it, if there are any negatives, get a feel for the learning curve, etc. The only negatives I hear are that it doesn't cut chipboard & nothing over 8" wide, which don't seem to be issues for most users.

I envision being able to use a Silhouette to
� design & cut shaped layers for cards
� cut a stencil to dry emboss a border on that layer (as you can with Nestabilies), but as wide or narrow as I want it to be & with any design I like
� cut multiple masks, by scanning a stamped image & then printing/cutting from paper run though a Xyron with temp adhesive
� design & cut a stencil for a stamp image to emphasize the stamped image with dry embossing or dry emboss the image as a background element
� cut multi-layer overlay stencils of an image to speed coloring (especially helpful for mass production of Christmas cards) Like this old American Traditions blue laser-cut 3 part stencil.
� design & cut window cling vinyl to make my own holiday Stikees

I know many use it for die cut shapes, but I fear straying down the path that may lead me away from stamping by using them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #12  
Inking Addict

Ok, i'm really confused here: Why is there such a GREAT price difference in the silhouette SD machine from different retailers? its about a 100USD which makes me wonder if theres something different about the product? I really wanna get the silhouette ASAP and the best price ofcourse!

170.99$ @ Silhouette SD Digital Craft Cutter with $10 Gift Card | Overstock.com

and 249-299$ Oh My Crafts - Search

and at the original site too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by embeearqamView Post
Ok, i'm really confused here: Why is there such a GREAT price difference in the silhouette SD machine from different retailers? its about a 100USD which makes me wonder if theres something different about the product? I really wanna get the silhouette ASAP and the best price ofcourse!

170.99$ @ Silhouette SD Digital Craft Cutter with $10 Gift Card | Overstock.com

and 249-299$ Oh My Crafts - Search

and at the original site too.
check the fine print. Sometimes the machines with really good prices are refurbished machines. A refurbished machine may be a good choice since it is brought back up to factory condition, but may not have all the little extras a new machine will have in a package. Also, since Overstock can do bigger bulk buys, they can offer it for a better price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2011, 05:34 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Overstock just has good prices, I've bought Nesities from them for a fraction of what other sites sell for and they are exactly the same.
As far as I know there is only one version of Silhouette SD, the older "original" model was not an SD. The software for Silhouette is updated online so even if you got a machine with the older CraftRobo software version (like I originally got) you'll just go on-line and update it to the new Silhouette Studio.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2011, 08:21 AM   #15  
SAH
Inking Addict

I bought one from Overstock and it is brand new and current. If you sign up for their newsletter, you will get a 10% off your first order coupon. You can then use that for the Silhouette. It takes a couple of days for the coupon to come though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 05:00 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

My DH bought me one for my birthday on Monday. It was a complete and total surprise. I am so excited to read and learn more!

Loved the review linked above. ThanK you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2011, 06:43 AM   #17  
Inking Addict

Heather, thanks for the info on overstock, and SAH, thanks for the heads up about the coupon!
I can get the Silhouette SD as low as 157$ including shipping! which is awesome! i'm just waiting for us to move to Tuscon now, coz we wont be staying at the same address past this week. :P Cant wait to get my SD! <3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Thought I'd share my original review as well
Product Review And Giveaway (competition closed)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #19  
Inking Addict

Thanks a lot again, Heather! Reading your review, (Love the Alice card btw) and others linked here and otherwise really has me hyped up about owning the silhouette. And i'm definitely going to purchase it asap, provided the power adaptability issue is sorted out.

Also, do any of you have any experience purchasing the pen holder tool, from either silhouette or other people... such as the amy chomas version? any tips/info on that? <3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2011, 05:59 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks, I was really happy with my Alice card

I have the pens that come from Silhouette and you don't need a special holder for them, they fit into where the blade goes, they work wonderfully.

I haven't felt the need to buy a different pen holder but I've heard good things about the Chomas ones from people at the Silhouette yahoo group.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2011, 03:22 AM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

i have the silhouette sd and i love it.just one thing,can anyone PLEASE tell me how to save my designs to the sd card?
Old 07-10-2011, 07:27 AM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by melchacheView Post
i have the silhouette sd and i love it.just one thing,can anyone PLEASE tell me how to save my designs to the sd card?
Isn't there a little icon on the top bar of the program that reads save to SD card? I assume if u press that it'll automatically save to the card, I don't have the SD but I've seen the icon alot of times on my program.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #23  
Inking Addict

Ok, so I decided not to wait for the cameo, as its about a 100USd in shipping to pakistan, and i wont be getting it until end of this year....

so i'm back to thinking i should get my Silhouette SD while i'm here... only thing is, that overstock doesnt have it anymore for the awesome price.... but i've checked a few other sites and have deals close to 180-190$ like from UScutter/ebay etc.....

question is, although they say the machine is new.... UScutter also says there is a risk of getting a machine that is 'dead upon arrival'..... do not want that to happen....has anyone ordered stuff from them?
Reply With Quote Likes