Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #81  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithdiane
OK, so now I'm wondering if I could find a really cheap laundry wringer -- the texture plates are pretty inexpensive and are pretty useless right now, since I just don't have the patience to use them with my stylus - so I'd be willing to give it a shot. I really have no interest in die cuts -- just the dry embossing.

HMMM, are pasta makers wide enough for the texture plates?
Do any of my friends have a pasta maker?

LOL -- clearly I have to stop reading any threads that even mention the Cuddlebug!
I don't have any Fiskars Texture Plates to check with, but the Cuttlebug Embossing folders are narrow enough in width to go through the feed. I set the feed to a thickness of "1" on the pasta maker, but I'm too chicken to send my one and only Cuttlebug embossing folder through it--it'll just kill me if I crack/break it, since it would take a while for me to replace it, living where I do.

I decided I didn't wanna risk it . . .

And, please don't ask why I have pasta maker . . .
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 01:33 PM   #82  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is killing me! Not only am I still conflicted about getting a Cuttlebug, but now my long subdued need for a Big Shot is finding its way to the surface! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 01:35 PM   #83  
Matboard Maniac

I dont have one yet either, but I did go to M's and just looked at it..I came across 2 embossing folders--the swirl and the happy birthday one...I bought both and tried them on my Sizzix...it worked just fine there...Those are the 2 designs I REALLY love...seen too many cards on here made with them...

Now I know that it works with my Sizzix, I may just hold off on it for now.....

My little Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #84  
Matboard Maniac

Aaack! I have those Fiskars embossing plates and just have a heck of a time using them with the little tool. ugh. Soooooo...you all are telling me I can use them with a machine?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I have a sizzix...no cuttlebug...can I do it????

Laurie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #85  
Hardware Hotshot

Good for all of you who have been able to resist. I have spent years collecting scrapbook supplies, tools, toys, etc and have fought buying a die cut machine for all that time. Was tempted by the sidekick many times. But could never justify the expense.

Then I started reading all about them here and started obsessing about it. But I kept telling myself that I really didn't need one. Well, here in Utah we have Roberts Crafts which is owned by Provo Craft and they have a 50% off coupon this week and my DH who was really quite entertained by how conflicted I was about it (I even had a dream about going to buy one and hiding it from him), just said to go get it. So I stopped fighting it and just bought it! Is it something you have to have, no. But it sure is cool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 01:57 PM   #86  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
I don't have any Fiskars Texture Plates to check with, but the Cuttlebug Embossing folders are narrow enough in width to go through the feed. I set the feed to a thickness of "1" on the pasta maker, but I'm too chicken to send my one and only Cuttlebug embossing folder through it--it'll just kill me if I crack/break it, since it would take a while for me to replace it, living where I do.

I decided I didn't wanna risk it . . .

And, please don't ask why I have pasta maker . . .
OMG Julie -- are you saying that you actually thought of using your pasta maker for card making purposes? Too funny! (I wish I had one of those very fancy smileys to insert here)

You know we now have to convince someone to actually try it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 02:51 PM   #87  
Matboard Maniac

I don't have one either. I'd rather buy more stamps and embellishments!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 03:04 PM   #88  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen70
I don't have one and don't intend to get one. I can create BGs with my stamps. It would cost a fortune in dies. And honestly, I think it's a fad. Do I like the cards I see? Yes. But I haven't felt the need to have one. I'd rather have more stamps, ribbon, and patterned paper.
Ditto! I have a sizzix machine, and that is enough. I want to spend my money elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 03:04 PM   #89  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jusgottastamp
Sorry, toots...I can't help you there. I thought I was immunized...quit reading the thread weeks ago...covered my eyes when anyone talked about it...well, Jami (of Dirty Dozen fame) is to blame for my Cuttlebug purchase yesterday. She sent me a beautiful card that had the embossing on it that she did with the Cuttlebug!! I would post it, but it's in Dec's DD gallery, so I can't. But if you have a membership, I'll give the Forums at Splitcoaststampers. It's incredible in person. It also has the die cuts on it.

Sorry I'm not much help!!
shame shame shame. .. that card is beautiful and now I want one even more!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If youve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #90  
Pearl-ExPert

I dont have one ... and I'm not planning on getting one. I already spend SO much money on scrapbooking/stamping supplies, I just cannot spend more on this ... if money was no object, I'd have one in a flash ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #91  
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry guys. I just got mine 2 days ago. I received a 40$ gift card from my boss, had a 50% off coupon, so go it for FREE!!! THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!!!! Oh yeah!!!! Now...just need to learn how to USE the thing!!! Karen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #92  
Vee
Hardware Hotshot

I am saving my pennies for a Wishblade.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 05:34 PM   #93  
Vee
Hardware Hotshot

oh oh I DO have a pasta press......hum.....If anyone actually runs an embossing plate OR a fiskers plate through their pasta press successfully, do tell!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 05:37 PM   #94  
Pearl-ExPert

HAHAHHAHAA!!! Vee....that was histerical!!!! ROFL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 06:29 PM   #95  
Matboard Maniac

Well, now i know what a cuttlebug is LOL. What I REALLY want to know is where do you get those neat scalloped punches?????????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 06:34 PM   #96  
Crimping Master

when the whole bug/big shot frenzy started heating up, I had a bug in one hand, a 50 off coupon in the other, and 1/2 way to the checkout i stopped, and put it down.

it was tough.

i sweated.

i left the store.

It's not fair. Life was never this hard for Barbie & Ken
-
unknown

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 06:37 PM   #97  
Crimping Master

to original poster- its a world you want to step carefully in. Think about how much it costs, add some accessories, and think about how many cards you would have to make to recoup your investment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #98  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithdiane
OMG Julie -- are you saying that you actually thought of using your pasta maker for card making purposes? Too funny! (I wish I had one of those very fancy smileys to insert here)

You know we now have to convince someone to actually try it!
Good lord, you didn't think I'd actually use it to make pasta did ya'?????? I'm the Anti-Martha, for cryin' out loud!!!

Actually, my mother received it as a gift, decided homemade pasta was not in her low carb lifestyle, and she turned around and gifted me with it. I wanted it because I thought I was going to get into polymer clay and jewelry making.

Good grief. What was I thinking?????

So, I've never gotten rid of the pasta machine, and when you asked, I happened to know exactly where it was and ran to see. I ran the embossing folder/brass stencil that came with my Big Shot Starter Kit through it; it needed an additional card stock shim to get any kind of impression, and probably would need even more, but it was a buggah to crank through, and the way it's set up, if what you're working with is long in any way, you'll have to vice grip it in a certain way so as it comes out it drops out, instead of smashing into the countertop.

I can safely say that's the end of my experimentation with the pasta maker; and I ain't risking my Stylish Flowers Cuttlebug Embossing Folder, no how, no way.

And, I never have sent a single bit of polymer clay through the darn thing. Guess I'm just not a clay jewelry makin' kinda chick . . . LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 08:07 PM   #99  
Matboard Maniac

No, I don't have a Cuttlebug, but I DO have a Big Shot. hehehe

So I guess my comments aren't gonna' build up your willpower against making a purchase, huh? *wink* LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 08:15 PM   #100  
Forum Fanatic

Wink

Quote:

Good lord, you didn't think I'd actually use it to make pasta did ya'?????? I'm the Anti-Martha, for cryin' out loud!!!

Actually, my mother received it as a gift, decided homemade pasta was not in her low carb lifestyle, and she turned around and gifted me with it. I wanted it because I thought I was going to get into polymer clay and jewelry making.

So, I've never gotten rid of the pasta machine, and when you asked, I happened to know exactly where it was and ran to see. I ran the embossing folder/brass stencil that came with my Big Shot Starter Kit through it; it needed an additional card stock shim to get any kind of impression, and probably would need even more, but it was a buggah to crank through, and the way it's set up, if what you're working with is long in any way, you'll have to vice grip it in a certain way so as it comes out it drops out, instead of smashing into the countertop.

I can safely say that's the end of my experimentation with the pasta maker; and I ain't risking my Stylish Flowers Cuttlebug Embossing Folder, no how, no way.

And, I never have sent a single bit of polymer clay through the darn thing. Guess I'm just not a clay jewelry makin' kinda chick . . . LOL!
Julie, Julie, Julie....time to put the pasta maker in the garage sale or the church bazzar.....oh, you try so hard....!! No wonder you are a creative genious. This is like out of a movie!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #101  
Die Cut Diva

I don't have one either. I have resisted buying more stuff!! I have a very understanding DH on these stamps I buy. But I can tell he is getting to the end of his rope. So, I am just skipping all the threads about bugs, big shots, cricuts etc. Now if I could figure out how to avoid the pictures in the gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 08:33 PM   #102  
Mad Swapper

I don't have one either.....I'm not even reading the threads about it......but seeing the cards in the gallery.....I'm wanting one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #103  
Stazon Splitcoast

No Bug here.......If you check out my gallery and look at my stamping closet, and I mean CLOSET, space is at its utmost premium!! I think I will get a few dry embossing templets and the little tool for 2 bucks, since they are much easier to store!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 08:46 PM   #104  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

OH to be a fly on the wall in your kitchen when you were experimenting! What I need now is one of those "bow down to her royal rubberness" smileys!
The things you do for art!

Anyway, I am sorry to hear that the pasta press is not an ideal tool. And I'm totally with you on the clay jewelry thing -- tried to get into it but never could.

Oh well. I guess no dry embossing for me. I refuse to catch the bug during SAB -- all my craft money for the next two months is going directly to SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 09:09 PM   #105  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I am resisting! I keep saying to myself....NO NO NO I donot need a cuttlebug!! I did look for one at a mike's last Saturday. They did not have any out and only 5 plates. So I was lucky or should I say my hubby was lucky!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 09:24 PM   #106  
Matboard Maniac

I'm so sorry. I come here to learn so much and Julie you are sooooo creative. I still don't understand what a cuttlebug is but then Ikind of have my heart set on a cricut. Am i nuts??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2007, 10:48 PM   #107  
Pearl-ExPert

I dont have one and at this point I dont think I need one either. Now if money was no object I would be out there tomorrow getting one of everything. After I called in to work of course.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 04:27 AM   #108  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

If you're guilty of pasta/clay interruptus, so am I!

My mom found my pasta maker at a garage sale for $10 and gifted me with it. I acutally did make pasta with it...once. Got the drying racks for the pasta on clearance somewhere after that and they are still in the box!

I've hung onto it thinking that sooner or later I'd use it for polymer clay. I have the clay, I have the tools, but I just haven't even pulled any of it out and tried it. How pathetic is that?

As far as my 'Bug goes...I just say:

<--JulieHRR

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 06:35 AM   #109  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't and I am pretty sure I won't get one. Or the Sizzix or the Quickcutz. I made kind of a decision that I wasn't going to get invested in a die cut set of my own when I can go to the store and use theirs for free. I have too many things to work with without adding on these. If I need alphas I have 6 stamp sets to choose from. I can't see anything other than tags or flowers I would use more than once and I have punches already for those. Or will have the tags when I order those this month from SU.

They are beautiful machines but I can't go there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 08:01 AM   #110  
Kookie Creator

Unfortunately, I have been reading all the threads about the CB... I'm so tempted but it is hard for me to justify since I have both the Sizzix and the Cricut.

However, I think the next time I am at Jo or Mike's I am going to invest a few measly bucks for a CB embossing plate and try it in my Sizzix. It's worth a shot...

It's so hard resisting...

Blessed Wife and Mom

Happy SU! Demo since May 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #111  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't have any of the die cut systems or a CB. And I can honestly say I'm not even tempted. People will always be able to make really cool cards for me to drool over in the gallery with stuff I don't have...and I'll enjoy looking. I've got so much really cool stuff that I just "had to have" and don't use that adding new stuff seems pretty wasteful to my practical self. My new year's resolution is to use what I have and spend less. It's just too much money for me.

Now if I win the lottery...all resolutions are off! But I'm pretty sure to win the lottery ya gotta buy tickets, and as I'd rather buy books and stamps, ...well, let's just say it isn't gonna happen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 08:30 AM   #112  
Insane Embellisher

I dont have a single die cut system. When I want to, I use the one at the LSS. I am sure I would like it a lot, but I can not justify it at this time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 09:24 AM   #113  
Pearl-ExPert

no cuttlebug but the cuttlebug "stuff" works great with my sizzix so as long as that holds true, I'm holding off on another machine...unless of course something was to happen to my sizzix (gasp)...what an awful thought!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 09:27 AM   #114  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk
If you're guilty of pasta/clay interruptus, so am I!

My mom found my pasta maker at a garage sale for $10 and gifted me with it. I acutally did make pasta with it...once. Got the drying racks for the pasta on clearance somewhere after that and they are still in the box!

I've hung onto it thinking that sooner or later I'd use it for polymer clay. I have the clay, I have the tools, but I just haven't even pulled any of it out and tried it. How pathetic is that?

As far as my 'Bug goes...I just say:

<--JulieHRR
chinkle!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 09:41 AM   #115  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

have you tried stamping in the polymer clay? It's awesome! I've made some great letter tiles and medallions. Try it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 10:43 AM   #116  
Rubber Obsessor

Location: in a quiet library with plenty of books, a pot of tea, dark chocolate, and a purring cat
Default no need

No cuttlebug here and no desire for one. I have a Sizzix, which I bought years ago, and have definitely gotten my money out of that machine (but not all of the dies I have collected since, but I have plenty of IDEAS!). And since the two sets of Cuttlebug dies I got for Christmas worked just fine in my Sizzix, I have no need for one either! The Cuttlebug dies have a very cute and detailed look that Sizzix doesn't usually have, so I will stick with picking and choosing from both brands.
Rachel V.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 12:01 PM   #117  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDiegoGal
This thread is killing me! Not only am I still conflicted about getting a Cuttlebug, but now my long subdued need for a Big Shot is finding its way to the surface! lol
You probably only need one or the other... Just wanted to say that, for those of you not getting a bug because you already have a Sizzix, Big Shot, etc. you're probably fine! Like has been said before, the CB dies work great with other die cutters. The big question is, if you don't have any die cutters at all, do you take the plunge? It's a scary one. But I got mine just because I had some extra Christmas money- I couldn't have justified spending my hard-earned stamp income. However, I am really enjoying it for my scrapbooking! I'm a big fan of the alphabets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2007, 08:20 PM   #118  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts

Subscribing... LM

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 04:38 PM   #119  
Matboard Maniac

Default Nope none here either

I don't have one either. I do all my embossing the old fashioned way by using a brass template and stylus. I don't have the extra cash to stash into one.

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 05:18 PM   #120  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No Cuttlebug here

I don't have a Cuttlebug, but I do have the original, red Sizzix machine with the converter that I've had for several years to make scrapbooking titles. My dh got me several of the embossing folders for my birthday when Michael's had all Cuttlebug merchandise 40% off.
Reply With Quote Likes