Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-03-2008, 03:04 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sharpies and Mark-It's - questions...

I'm going to buy a set of one or the other.

1. Which do you have and do you like it?
2. Which tip size do you have?
3. If you also have SU markers, do you regret having both sets?

Thanks!

Debbie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2008, 06:46 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Mark-Its 36 color collection and I really like them. Money is so tight right now I opted to get them instead of only getting a few of another brand, I got the set for around $13 at Sam's. They are the fine tip. I can get pretty good results with them. There are videos on Youtube that allow you to see how other people use them to color stamped images and they do a good job of showing that the mark-its are as good as the others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2008, 06:50 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have both the Sharpies and the Bic Mark-its. They were on sale at Target a while back, so I got both. I got the regular points instead of the ultra fine. I like the markers themselves equally well as far as using them goes. The difference is in the shades of the colors, but it is a slight difference.

I think the Bics come in a set of 36, so they have more colors vs. the Sharpies. I was at Sam's yesterday, and they carry both kinds at a good price.

I refuse to pay the price for a set of Copics and I'm enjoying using these sets.

The only drawback to these sets is the colors are really bright for the most part. I did purchase a couple of pastel colored Copics individually at Hobby Lobby with a coupon. They work nicely with Sharpies and Bics.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2008, 06:51 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Thanks. Are you happy with the fine tip? I assumed I would get the medium tip but maybe that would be a mistake.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2008, 06:56 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

I have both the Sharpies and the Bics and find they work well together. Having both gives a greater color selection. I have the fine tip in the Bics and the ultra-fine (extra-fine?) tip in the Sharpies. The very fine tip is great for details, the fine tip is great for coloring larger areas. I have been impressed with both. I personally would not go with a larger tip than the fine because I think it would be too hard to have finesse with it. Just my 2 cents.

I don't have Copics as the price doesn't fit budget wise, but I sure am enjoying my Bics and Sharpies. I got the Bics (36 of them) at Sams and the Sharpies (24 of them) at Staples a couple years ago on a back to school sale when they were super cheap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2008, 07:05 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammsmom1View Post
I have the Mark-Its 36 color collection and I really like them. Money is so tight right now I opted to get them instead of only getting a few of another brand, I got the set for around $13 at Sam's. They are the fine tip. I can get pretty good results with them. There are videos on Youtube that allow you to see how other people use them to color stamped images and they do a good job of showing that the mark-its are as good as the others.
Thanks for the info. about the youtube videos. I have the Bic MarkIts but still can't quite get the knack of the blending. I am using the Prismacolor Blender with them. I do LOVE the colors in the 36 set package and I have the fine tip.
When I went on the Bic MarkIt site, they gave a "quiz" to help me decide which kind of tip would be best for what I wanted to use them for. Maybe that would help some others decide which set to get.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2008, 07:33 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctychickView Post
I'm going to buy a set of one or the other.

1. Which do you have and do you like it?
2. Which tip size do you have?
3. If you also have SU markers, do you regret having both sets?

Thanks!

Debbie
I have the Bic MarkIts in FINE tip in a 36 color set. Try the Bic MarkIt site to get more info about them. It might help you decide. I really do not know much about the Sharpies so I can not give an opinion. They probably have a site with info. ,also.

As far as the SU markers go, I do not regret getting them. They are different from the other 2 brands. They are water based. The other 2 are alcohol based.
The SU markers can be used with the SU blender pen, the other 2 need an alcohol based blender pen.

I like to "watercolor" with the SU markers. I take color off the marker by touching the blender pen to the marker and coloring. I have trouble putting the marker on the paper and then blending. But that's me. Others do it very easily. It is also nice to have the option of having everything match-paper, marker colors, etc.
I also did not buy the SU markers all at 1 time. We made a sort of "club". There were 4 of us in class that wanted them. So each month, one of us ordered 4 sets of 1 color. That way each one of us had a turn to have a "party" and choose a Level I hostess set. That was YEARS ago, when the $ amount was lower for the Level I sets. Maybe you can do something similar? Just a thought.

Good Luck deciding. Hope I did not make the decision harder for you or confuse you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I got the Bic set when they were on sale at Target. I got the 36 + 4 pack of medium point. I love them...they do beautiful things... and the price was right....
Blessings,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

How much were the Bic's when they were on sale at Target?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2008, 02:52 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I have the sharpies and SU markers. I got the sharpies on sale a couple of years ago and my SU markers I bought a couple at a time until I was able to get them all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2008, 03:08 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

kitty14, the blenders, whether it be Prismacolor or Copics, are kind of deceiving. They do not actually blend as much as the take away or push color. A simple way to start blending with Alcohol markers is to choose two like colors, lay down your lightest color then go in with your darker color where you wish to high light, then take your lighter color back over where the two meet. Always color in tiny circles and use a very absorbant paper like PTI, Neenah or Georgia Pacific. HTH!

I have the following types of markers with what I like best about them...

Copics- By far my favorite for the blending

SU!- How I watercolor

Bics- Similar to what I use the Copics for, but really only use them to fill in when for colors I do noy have in Copic.
Reply With Quote Likes