In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2021, 12:38 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva
 
binx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,985
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Altenew Lingo

I find the verbiage of categories on Altenew's site a little confusing.

First, there's build-a-flower which, to my understanding are stamps sets w/corresponding die sets which do not cut layers but rather cut out the outline of a flower or leaf. In this case, the layers are made with the stamps & shades of inks.

Then there's craft-a-flower which, also to my understanding, are sets of stand-alone dies which cut out different layers and different colors of card stock which you're supposed to layer on top of one another to form a specific flower. No stamps involved. So far, I've got it.

But here's where I find it confusing: 3D die sets, craft-a-flower and layering die sets. Basically, the craft-a-flower, 3D flower dies, and layering die sets are different names for the same thing/technique. And craft-a-flowers also come with the designation "layering die sets" but sometimes "layering die set" is an independent designator (as in the jumbo garden picks) Am I right? Am I missing something? Also, when I look at them side-by-side it seems to me that the flower 3D dies are not really 3D as you would expect (like Susan Tierney Cockburn's or their own gemstone die, for example) but just layer flatly. So aren't these 3 categories just the same thing?

And, if I am correct, why have 3 names for the same type of die set? Is there a clearer way to think about this? I feel like I need a graph!

Last edited by binx; 04-18-2021 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: clarification
binx is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2021, 07:17 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool
 
harvestmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,361
Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

The first 2 seems to be very similar except with Build a Flower you get stamps and dies.
With Craft a Flower you can buy stamps alone and dies alone.
With 3D flower dies you don't have to use stamps. The pieces stack to create the shading, so that's the 3D.
I only have the 3D. and some 'normal' flowers with multiple stamping to create the shading.
Search on Pinterest and see examples of each.
harvestmoon is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2021, 08:13 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor
 
mphb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 122
Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts
Cool Too confusing!

I loved the effect of stamping & layering Altenew flowers when they first came out...but they were so difficult to line up (for me) that I virtually gave up. I absolutely do not like the die cut layered flowers..find them boring and totally non artistic, so haven't bought much nor paid attention to all the various categories. Your listing was great...WAY TOO confusing! I also dislike the die cuts with that nasty white halo around the stamped image...why do they do that? I'm sticking with stamping...cleaner, prettier and less confusing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by binxView Post
I find the verbiage of categories on Altenew's site a little confusing.

First, there's build-a-flower which, to my understanding are stamps sets w/corresponding die sets which do not cut layers but rather cut out the outline of a flower or leaf. In this case, the layers are made with the stamps & shades of inks.

Then there's craft-a-flower which, also to my understanding, are sets of stand-alone dies which cut out different layers and different colors of card stock which you're supposed to layer on top of one another to form a specific flower. No stamps involved. So far, I've got it.

But here's where I find it confusing: 3D die sets, craft-a-flower and layering die sets. Basically, the craft-a-flower, 3D flower dies, and layering die sets are different names for the same thing/technique. And craft-a-flowers also come with the designation "layering die sets" but sometimes "layering die set" is an independent designator (as in the jumbo garden picks) Am I right? Am I missing something? Also, when I look at them side-by-side it seems to me that the flower 3D dies are not really 3D as you would expect (like Susan Tierney Cockburn's or their own gemstone die, for example) but just layer flatly. So aren't these 3 categories just the same thing?

And, if I am correct, why have 3 names for the same type of die set? Is there a clearer way to think about this? I feel like I need a graph!
mphb is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2021, 09:41 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva
 
binx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,985
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by mphbView Post
I loved the effect of stamping & layering Altenew flowers when they first came out...but they were so difficult to line up (for me) that I virtually gave up. I absolutely do not like the die cut layered flowers..find them boring and totally non artistic, so haven't bought much nor paid attention to all the various categories. Your listing was great...WAY TOO confusing! I also dislike the die cuts with that nasty white halo around the stamped image...why do they do that? I'm sticking with stamping...cleaner, prettier and less confusing!
Thx for the input. Yeah, I'm with ya. I find it harder than it should be too. Somebody (maybe My Favorite Things?) started putting a (non-stamped) dot on them to help in orientation; that helped. So many choices; I'm sure we can both find what works for us!
binx is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2021, 07:20 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot
 
uncbballfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,868
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

Don't forget Paint-a-Flower, just stamps, no dies.

I gave up on Altenew a long time ago! (Except for their ink pads.)

They evidently aced the class "How to (Over) Saturate a Market."
__________________
Linda E
Caution: You are entering an artistic zone. This is not clutter - this is creating. These are not pajamas - it's my work uniform.
uncbballfan is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2021, 09:43 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva
 
binx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,985
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post

They evidently aced the class "How to (Over) Saturate a Market."
LOL
binx is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2021, 01:33 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper
 
Alice in Md's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Towson, Maryland
Posts: 1,792
Received 77 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by mphbView Post
I also dislike the die cuts with that nasty white halo around the stamped image...why do they do that? I'm sticking with stamping...cleaner, prettier and less confusing!
The way I remember this change is that Sizzix threatened several die-producing companies with lawsuits in the belief that Sizzix had a patent on the dies that cut right at the edge of a stamped image. This thread from two years ago will give you some insight:
fate coordinating dies 628487

Alice in Md is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off