Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Adjustable punches? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/adjustable-punches-179079/)

newbie007 08-30-2006 03:51 PM

Adjustable punches?

I don't have any punches and I was thinking of buying one. I noticed that the ones Michael's sell are size adjustable. I think they are made by Marvey, but am not sure. My other favorite stamping store sells punches that are non size adjustable. The brand name escapes my mind right now. I am wondering which are the better ones to buy. Being tight on the budget, I need something that is going to be well used and last almost forever.

Cat 08-30-2006 07:48 PM

Sorry, Lynne. But I've never heard of adjustable punches... do you have a link to one?

sunny36 08-30-2006 08:56 PM

I've never heard of adjustable punches either. Sounds neat!!

Are you perhaps reading on the packaging of the punch "punches up to 2 1/4 inches" ? KWIM? I always read that and think, what do they mean? It either punches at 2 1/4 or it doesn't!! How is it adjustable?

Perhaps they ARE adjustable, and I've just never noticed? :-) or figured it out?!!

Whitneystamps 08-30-2006 09:52 PM

I think I saw what you are talking about - is it the layering punches? I think they mean you can buy 4 different ones and layer them togther - not that one punch does 4 different sizes. If that isn't what you are talking about just skip by my post :)

newbie007 08-31-2006 06:23 AM

Ooooops! Debbie, you are right. I went back to Michael's last night and looked at the punches again. The one I was interested in was a Marvey Craft Punch. It is a tag shape and the package reads "Giga - Shapes range from 2 7/8" to 3". At the top of the package towards the back there is what looks like some type of small lever.

While I was looking at the punch a sales clerk came by and I asked him about the punch. His answer to the shape range sizes shown on the package: it is the distances the punch can reach from the edge of the paper.

Boy am I dumb or naive! I thought I had stumbled in my newess against a wonderful discovery. As Whitney described above, I had also thought that "layering punches" had 4 different sizes in one punch.

Guess an adjustable or layering "all in one punch" would save us money, but then we wouldn't have to buy all the other punches.

I did end up buying the punch above but haven't opened it yet. I am a little unsure as to the size. I was hoping maybe to put 2 or 3 tags on card, (something like Kitty's snowmen she recently put in the gallery) but I am wondering if this punch is a little too big. The tag is 1 1/2 inches across and about 2 1/2 inches from top to bottom.

sushiquilter 08-31-2006 06:30 AM

Perhaps this is too late to be of much help, but I recently bought a "Giga" punch from Michaels and it was extremely difficult to punch through cardstock! Any punches I have tried from the dollar store or local craft stores don't seem to be able to make it through cardstock. Also, it got worse and worse until the punches were ragged after only 20-25 punches! I just find they are not very sharp, don't stay very sharp, and can't hold up to cardstock. For what it's worth, I have not had these problems with Stampin' Up! punches (but then, they are made for what I use them for!).

Desir�e

newbie007 08-31-2006 06:58 AM

I appreciate your input, Desiree. The punch wasn't cheap - $25.00 CDN and I am trying to get the best value for my money as I have a very limited budget for stamping stuff. If it is only going to work for a short time, it is not worth the money and I will return it. How are the MCGill punches? That was the other brand name I was trying to think of in my original post, but was having a momentary lapse.

imataloss 08-31-2006 07:32 AM

I love the marvy punches! Have not had a problem with them not being sharp enough or wearing out. You can sharpen your punches. Just takes a little foil and sandpaper.

DeniseW 08-31-2006 09:13 AM

I have the Marvy punches too and have had no problem with them. I do stand up to punch so maybe that's why I have no problem.....

olivia'smom 08-31-2006 09:26 AM

Oh I bought and returned those punches because I fell for that adjustable thing also. What I thought was a lever was just for packing:rolleyes:

jeanstamping2 08-31-2006 09:39 AM

I have 4 Marvy punches, and I have had one go bad!
I contact Marvy through their Website. and Asked them about it.
They told me that had some problem with the 2" circle punch.
So they told me to send it back to them and they would send me a New Punch.

But overall I am very happy with my punches.
I will have to look in to getting the Adjustiable one.

I too had never heard of it!