Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-07-2018, 06:21 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Adhesive?

I bought a box covered in burlap from Ikea, and need to adhere one or more pieces of CS or chipboard to the top and/or sides.

I should have purchased two, one for experimenting, but of course didn't think of that, and need to decorate the box to mail it in the next two days.

At least I assume it's burlap, that kind of open and rough weave but maybe smoother than some, dyed, well adhered to box.

Do you think any of the following will do the trick?

Ranger Multi Medium Matte (my go-to)
PH Neutral PVA (archival, for bookbinding, etc.)
Tombo Multi Mono
450 Quick Dry Adhesive (where did that come from?)
Zip Dry (same question!)
Aleene's Quick Dry Tacky Glue (ditto)
Beacon 3-in-1
Beacon Kids Choice Glue (Elizabeth from Elizabeth Crafts loves this)
Gina K Connect
Uhu and Ranger Glue Sticks
Tombow Xtreme Tabs (haven't tried them, Expo free sample)
SU glue dots, Dodz, Zots

Kind of embarrassing, how did all these adhesives happen? Some will hit the donate box.

Thank you in advance.

Beth
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2018, 09:01 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

A question comes to mind: are you adhering the "one or more pieces of CS or chipboard" as embellishments or trying to cover over the burlap? If it's just for embellishing, I would think that Ranger MMM, the PVA, or some really aggressive glue dots would do the trick. If you're covering the entire box, I'd be using a spray adhesive or Royal Coat Decoupage Medium.

As far as where they all came from, no need to be embarrassed - you have to test things out to see what works for you and/or your project and, as a result, you end up with a pile o' stuff...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2018, 09:02 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Iíve used Aleene's Tacky Glue to glue fabric, yarn, crochet thread, and such to cards. I have used it to adhear tightly woven burlap to cardstock. Itís been awhile since Iíve used it for anything other than string for balloons on cards sometimes.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2018, 10:46 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Depends on how aggressive that burlap texture is.
I'd probably reach for the hot melt glue gun - it does wonders on rough surfaces.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2018, 03:50 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
A question comes to mind: are you adhering the "one or more pieces of CS or chipboard" as embellishments or trying to cover over the burlap? If it's just for embellishing, I would think that Ranger MMM, the PVA, or some really aggressive glue dots would do the trick. If you're covering the entire box, I'd be using a spray adhesive or Royal Coat Decoupage Medium.

As far as where they all came from, no need to be embarrassed - you have to test things out to see what works for you and/or your project and, as a result, you end up with a pile o' stuff...

Pile oí stuff is right. Multiple stuffs!

Answering your question, just a few design elements, not covering the box.

The inside lid of the box came covered with paper. Iíd like to attach a (heat) laminated instruction sheet with a couple of magnets for easy removal.

?? Another glue question: small magnets to paper and laminated paper. I used glue dots (paper to paper) for a tea bag holder (Sam/Pootles UK). Maybe that would work.

?? Laminating a bit of cloth ribbon into the edge as a grabber tab would be nice, but maybe thatís not safe aka would burn.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2018, 03:52 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
Iíve used Aleene's Tacky Glue to glue fabric, yarn, crochet thread, and such to cards. I have used it to adhear tightly woven burlap to cardstock. Itís been awhile since Iíve used it for anything other than string for balloons on cards sometimes.

Nice, thank you, Anne. I wonder if the Quick Dry works as well. If not, maybe I could run to Michaels though if I recall there are 80 varieties of Aleeneís, a bit confusing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2018, 03:54 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmbriView Post
Depends on how aggressive that burlap texture is.
I'd probably reach for the hot melt glue gun - it does wonders on rough surfaces.

Thanks, Embri, I had thought about that, but just have the adhesives in the list, no hot glue gun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2018, 04:14 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I think any of the PVA, Rangers, Aleenes would do. I think a thick coat would be better, and with chipboard you wouldn't need to worry about cockling. For DP, I'm not so sure.

I use Matt medium for small magnets and it holds pretty well. The sticky stuff that comes on the Basic Grey ones is useless. But I've only tried on regular paper surfaces and tin, not in laminated paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2018, 04:25 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Thanks, Sabrina. Basic Grey are the ones I have, and agree about the useless stick-em. I’ll test on a small piece of laminate and paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2018, 09:57 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

A hot melt glue gun is well worth the few bucks it costs to add to your kit, heck even the dollar store sell them around here - but of those listed, I'd go with regular PVA glue or the Tombow Mono Multi, so long as your items aren't particularly warp-sensitive. You'll need to be moderately generous with the glue to get some good adhesion.

If you're worried about warping and/or the degree of tack on the cured glue, stick down some spare chipboard circles or something else smaller than your embellishments. If they hold well, you can then stick your final accents to those. Bonus in that it'll give you a bit of extra dimension.

What kind of magnets are you trying to use? Rare earths are more work to get to stay glued down as they're stronger than the old style regular ferrous fridge magnets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2018, 10:17 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Embri, excellent idea about trying with a smaller element first - thanks. It’s the amount of “stick” on a fabric rather than warping.

I had a nice glue gun years ago, prior to my paper crafting days. I don’t remember what project I used it for, but didn’t use it after that, and gave it away, so am not in the market for one, but if there’s a need, I’ll re-visit.

If nothing sticks well or looks funky, I’ll focus on the inside, since the outside is pretty - and does have a place to slip a piece of paper into a metal frame on the front by the movable handle. They provide an ugly tan piece of paper but I’d use different paper that will say “frustrated box!” (Yes, I realize the box itself isn’t frustrated. It fits the situation.)

Here’s the box, though it isn’t as bright (!). Second photo shows the fabric.

KVARNVIK Storage box with lid - IKEA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2018, 10:23 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

But wait, there’s more! It isn’t burlap! I knew it felt rather smooth. It’s paper string, coated with something.

I’m a dufus. It didn’t indicate that on the box, and I didn’t think to look on line until looking for a photo for this thread. {head on keyboard}

OT They now make plastic bags - like baggies - made from 85% sugar cane product, so it doesn’t live forever landfills and the ocean without eventually disintegrating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Hm, that is pretty heavily textured. If the PVA/Tombow doesn't want to hold enough on its own, you might be able to stitch your accents on. Just poke a few needle holes through the cardboard with an awl / pokey tool / thumb tack. Myself I'd probably stick to decorating the front, maybe the sides, since that'll make it easier to store with other stuff on the finished box. Depends on the final intended use of course.

FYI Glue guns are boss for Christmas wrapping duty. Ours get the most workouts during December, as you can stick down the paper, bows, ribbons, decorations, and tags all in one go. No fighting with tape!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Yes, itís textured - quite similar to burlap - but also uniform, not a bunch of highs and lows. Liquid adhesive hopefully will do the trick for the few, small elements Iíd be adhering. Most of the work will be in the inside with the magnetic, laminated sheet.

Sewing! A 4-letter word. ; ) A button every six months is plenty. And a sewn look isnít generally my style, though I appreciate it in othersí work - especially since it isnít my thing. I attended a workshop where we did a neat stitch to bind a book, and while it looks impressive, thought ďnever EVER again!Ē My huck towel from 7th grade home economics was enough sewing design.

Yes, glue guns can be used for lots of neat stickings. If I used thick embellishments or was a scrapper it could peak my interest more, and if thereís a need Iíd get one.

Last edited by bjeans; 10-08-2018 at 03:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2018, 04:48 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Sewing! A 4-letter word. ; )
*laughs* Fair enough, not everyone's cuppa tea.
Reply With Quote Likes