Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   1st Time Scrapbooking Help! (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/1st-time-scrapbooking-help-556096/)

KcreativeK 06-18-2012 04:05 PM

1st Time Scrapbooking Help!

I would like to know what would be the items that I need to purchase first when starting out in scrapbook/cardmaking Thank You all in advance for your help and advice ;)

buggainok 06-18-2012 06:52 PM

Hey there, welcome to SCS. You have posted in the Tool and Product Forum.

Right below this forum is one called "Scrapbooking". If you post your request in that forum, you will probably get lots of replies.:)

neece 06-19-2012 12:34 AM

My essentials tool bag includes these items:

12x12" Trimmer...
This is the trimmer I have and I love it (I bought it at my local JoAnn's store, with a coupon):
Fiskars 12'' Premium Portable Paper Trimmer*: personal paper trimmers*: scrapbooking tools*: scrapbooking*: *Shop | Joann.com

Cropodile hand punch (the one with pink handles)

Black Sharpie pen, extra fine point (for journaling)

Black Zig millenium pen, micron tip

Clear centering ruler

Mechanical pencil, fine lead

White eraser, for no-smudge erasures

Stapler

Tim Holtz scissors

Fiskars non-stick scissors

Clear stamping block, 5x5" (I have more sizes, but one stays in my tool bag)

Glue pen

Scotch ATG, with acid-free 1/4" Gold tape

Mono-Multi 2-way glue (green lid)

Fabri-Tac adhesive

Mini glue dots (the really small, flat ones)

Glue eraser

Gelly Roll white gel pen

Rubon applicator

Exacto knife

Provo Craft plastic bone folder

Paper piercer & pad

Travel-size baby wipe container

Mini spray bottle with rubber stamp cleaner

Undu sticker remover

I keep a needle and thread to "sew" through buttons to make them look hand sewn, then I glue dot them onto my projects

Small hammer

Small pliers

Flat pliers (no ridges)

I'm pretty sure I have forgotten something! Hopefully others will answer and add to the list. :-)

HTH!

tchk 06-19-2012 05:46 AM

My list of basics is much shorter:

Adhesive- try one of the small ones at first, like thermoweb or tombow, from Michaels or ACMoore
Card stock in the size you want to work ( 12x12 or 8 1/2 x 11) in a color scheme that goes with your pictures. The 8 1/2 x 11 is a good place to start as you can cut these in half for card bases.
A pack of patterned paper that coordinates with the card stock you bought.
Some stickers and embellishments for the topic of your first book.
A 12 inch trimmer. Fiskars are good and they are warrantied for life.
An album

That's all you need to start with for cards or scrapbooking. Make a small first book and a couple cards and be sure you like this hobby before you invest in a lot of other stuff.

Enjoy!

gails 06-19-2012 09:01 AM

My list of basics:
Paper Trimmer.
Good Scissors. (I like my Cutterbee little scissors.)
Adhesive~~Starting out as a scrapbooker, my choice was the Hermafix Vario Tabs. But then I became a cardmaker, too and I now use ATG guns(purchased at Michael's with 40% off coupon) for both. Whatever adhesive you purchase, be sure it is acid free/photo safe for scrapbooking.
Album~~I mainly use Pioneer 12x12 albums as they are available and on sale in many of the big box craft stores. In addition, the page protector refills are readily available, too.
Cardstock and coordinating pattern paper.

I agree with tchk--enjoy, but don't buy tons of stuff to start.

Sunbre2013 07-30-2013 10:31 PM

Here's a list of Scrapbook Supplies you will need to start with your new hobby

Scrapbook Starter Kit | Ecrafts Sale

Kath 07-31-2013 12:29 PM

First, you may have things you can use. Look around for scissors, rulers, punches.
Second, don't overbuy.
Third, select a few photos you want to scrap to do a one page or double page layout.
Fourth, take the photos and match it to solid card stock in the size you want to scrap for the background and photo matting.
Fifth, if you want to use patterned paper, find a pattern that complements the photos and matches the solid cardstock.
Sixth, decide if you will be gluing down the photos or mounting them using a photo slit or corner mounter (think of the old time photo corners). Gluing is permanent. Corner slit (and there are punches for these) or corner mounting allows for the photo to be removed for photocopying or redoing the layout later.
Seventh, make sure you have an archival pen and journal at least the names of people in the photo, place, and dates. Add more as you wish. If you don't want to put the people, place, and dates on the front, put it on the back of the layout. Also put down who made the layout and the date on the back. You or someone else will be glad you did several years forward. There are no rules, but you may want this information as you may really forget in the future.
Eighth, other useful things. Adhesive (photo safe), scissors, a knife and steel ruler with a cutting mat/glass mat or a paper cutter, one or two punches or embellishments for that layout. If using punches, try to get ones you can use throughout an album plus over and over again.
Ninth, try to get archival items if you want it to last a long time.
Tenth, there are no rules as to how to scrap. Do what pleases you. Even copy a layout you like if you are doing it just for your own use.
Eleventh, relax and enjoy the process.
Twelfth, storage for your layouts. At first, you thought about the size you will do. Now think about if you want hinged or ring binder storage. You might just want to get page protectors and think about how to store the layouts later. Remember, whatever way you go, you can always change later to a different system but to avoid added cost, take your time and think of what works for you. Look at how different systems work and what you like.
Again, don't overbuy. You will read about all kinds of sales. You will also read about how all those purchases result in storage problems. And sometimes how having so much creates confusion and nothing gets done. So stay small and just get what you need. Remember, the coupon might be for a percentage off but you still have to pay the remaining percentage! If you don't need it, you aren't saving ~ you're spending.
Hope this helps.