Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-08-2008, 08:53 AM   #1  
khn
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heritage Scrapbook ideas wanted

Does anyone have suggestions for organizing a Heritage scrapbook? I have quite a few photos of my maternal grandparents & great grandparents that I am trying to get started on. I'm not quite sure how I should organize it, since I have photos of my grandmother's extended family (parents, brothers, sisters, cousins, etc.) as well as my grandfather's extended family. This is a little more complicated than I had thought! (or am I just worrying about it too much?)

Thanks,
Karen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 10:08 AM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

i'm working on an album for my Grandma's 90th birthday and i have all kinds of photos from 1920s till now. i did some wedding pages and anniversary pages using Baroque Motifs. I'm also doing most pages in the album as just "Family" theme pages with all sorts of images on them. i think that's the easiest way to capture everyone in the family without focusing on one event over another. Anyway, try to use some designer papers or just simple backgrounds for the heritage pages. Eggplant is a great color to use with light-sepia tone images.

good luck!
-Leanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 05:06 PM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Default vintage photos

Hi....My name is Billye and I live in Texas.....I have a lot of vintage family photos. They are so wonderful. I love to use the neutral designer papers. Whichever ones compliment the photo I am using. I had a picture of my dad dress up for his prom (1937). The picture was in sepia so I used the brown and vanilla dp from Stampin' up. I made a copy of the picture and because Dad loved pink I colored the carnation on his lapel pink.....It turned out beautifully.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 05:17 PM   #4  
Glitter Queen

Default organizing vintage photos

Sorry, I didn't really answer the question asked......I have my pictures organized by the side of the family. Mom's, Dad's.....My husband's are together because I don't have as many......It is also great to find out as much as you can about the people in the photos so that you can identify them and if you have any interesting info about them you can also include that on your pages. It is so sad to see family photos in antique malls and stores that people have gotten rid of.....If we can pass on a sense of heritage by documenting as much information as we can just maybe we can prevent that.......Billye
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2008, 02:12 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Karen: I am also looking to do an album like that. I have an album with all the pics in it; but its not a scrapbooking album; and plan to start on it. I just figured I would use some papers that had a vintage feel to them; and maybe some quotes that would apply to an individual picture. Pictures of my mother and me when I was a baby; might be a "mom and me page" pictures of her as a little girl might be a "remember when" page. I could also use some ideas; so if you come across anything exciting let me know! Good luck and hope you share your album!
sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #6  
khn
Inking Addict

I have to admit, I haven't gotten too far on this project, but I appreciate the suggestions. I'm hoping my mom will come to visit soon, so we can work on it together. She has done a nice job labeling the photos for me, but when she is here, she remembers lots more anecdotes as we go through the pics, and I hope to be able to record them so I can include the stories in the album.
It's pretty fascinating; some of the oldest photos are from the late 1800's!

Thanks, Sue for your post; now I'm encouraged to start working on it again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2008, 07:54 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

I started a Heritage album last year and had the same dilemma...I read books and magazines about it and finally just did what was most natural for me. I don't think there is any perfect way to do it.
1) I started with myself, pictures as a baby, where I was born, where I grew up, etc...the title page is just the family tree, and then there is a family photo on the left and a general page about me on the right (my name at the top, education, birthplace, marriage info, etc.). I use this same format (the general page) for each person at the beginning of their section throughout the whole album. I also picked a "symbol" for each person that would be somewhere on every page in their section, to unify it (for me, a flower, for my dad it was a star, etc.) I have also read the idea to have an index at the beginning which shows what is in that album; I haven't done that yet.
2) then I had a transition page of me & my parents where I put word tags all over describing the qualities I had gotten from each of them (blue for dad, pink for Mom).
3) the next section is my Dad. First the general page with the same format as above. Then I start with baby pics, etc. depending on what pictures I have. Oh, I also included a page on the year each person was born, general facts pulled from factmonster.com or other sites.
4) Then I did my Mom. By now I am on my 2nd album because there are too many pages, but I just made it like a continuation (no new title page, etc.). At the end of my Mom's section I put the pages about my parents meeting, getting married, and having kids. So there are a couple pages about each of my sisters. I also included a page for their marriage(s) and kids, just brief (not a whole page for each child). In between each sibling I put a transitional page of the two of us together, one older pic (me as a baby) and one more recent pic (both adults) and journaled about our relationship.
In "my" section I also had a layout about all of my sisters together because they are important to me. So the layouts you include would depend on your interests and what pictures you have. My one sister sent me a bunch of pictures after I thought I was done with this section, so I added another layout of her & the sister closest to her in age (who was in a lot of the pictures). Just an example.
That's as far as I've gotten but my next section will be my father's parents, and then my mother's parents, following the same general pattern for each person but going back a generation each time, as far as I can go!
Two books that helped me a LOT: Becky Higgins, "Family History Scrapbooking" (got at LSS) and Creating Keepsakes Magazine "Scrapbooking Family Heritage" (got used from Amazon).
I hope that helps! It's really fun once you get started

I added some thumbnails to make it a little more clear what I am trying to describe! One is the first "family" picture (left) with general page on me (right), one shows a birth year info page (the top layer flips up and there's more facts underneath), and one shows the transition from me to my father as described above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family me.jpg (58.2 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg birth year page.jpg (187.2 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg transition parents dad general.jpg (42.6 KB, 116 views)

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln

Last edited by nottoocreative; 05-17-2008 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: include pics
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2008, 08:13 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Just more photos...a page showing my mom with me as a baby, and me with my dd...I journaled about becoming a mother and how it was different/same for us (it's behind the picture). Then my parents dating, and the transition between 2 of my sisters (left is the page with me & the older one, right is the general info on the next one). Sorry for the bad photo!
All of these ideas were based or directly copied from layout ideas in those 2 books.

Forgot to mention: One thing, maybe this is taken for granted, but just in case: if you have original old photos, I would not tape them or crop them. Either scan and print out, or use photo corners so they can be removed later. The books cover this type of info, too.

Also, once I made some pages I still had questions, so I "interviewed" my Dad with the video camera running and the pictures in front of him, to spark memories and questions. I also planned some questions. I ended up going back and doing a lot more journaling, in some cases having to make room somehow like putting it under a picture or adding a "flap"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mothers & daugthers.jpg (44.0 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg parents dating.jpg (48.0 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg transition sisters.jpg (41.1 KB, 92 views)

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln

Last edited by nottoocreative; 05-17-2008 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: forgot to mention
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2008, 02:34 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Lynn; your pages are inspiring! Thanks for sharing and helping us get started..
Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 06:44 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by willowbyView Post
Lynn; your pages are inspiring! Thanks for sharing and helping us get started..
Sue
Thanks for your kind words, Sue...I give all the credit to Becky Higgins & CK!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2008, 07:13 PM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Default Your Heritage Album...

This is lengthy - but thought it would help...
When I did my heritage album, I began with my mother's life (ancestors as far back as I had pictures of, siblings, etc) and put it all in chronological order...up until the time she met my father. Then I pause to introduce his family into the album, making sure I put his surname in big letters using an old SU! alphabet (Tall Tales?) - I did his ancestors, siblings, etc). Then when his side of the family was brought current with when he met my mother - I include a journaled story of the day they met - that's when their combined lives come together - making our family and I begin scrapbooking Mom & Dad and their first child (I did a two page spread on my older brother - with his name as the title); When it approaches my birth, that album ends - that's my heritage. Then I began an entirely different album beginning with my my birth - and that album focuses on me...future siblings join the pages and have their own 2-page spreads but primarily follows my childhood. If you want pictures - I have plenty - so email me at [email protected] if you'd like to see them - I've gotten quite a few compliments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

Red face Help in organizing!!!!!!!

I am having problems getting my heritage album(s?) started too! I began with my 2 children, grown now, and also have done a page with my hubby which has his baby pic and a current photo. Now I THINK I am going to move on to his dad, and then his mom and then their parents, etc. We have info back at least 7 generations, so it'll be quite the job! Do I do the pages by couples? I want photos on one side and a little history either facing or on the back side. Then I guess I will put MY family tree and start with me, my parents, etc. I hate to go back and forth between the families, because that would be too confusing, I believe. I do like the idea mentioned in this thread about using symbols.

In this book, I think I will just have a few pics, a little info about each person, and then make more extensive smaller books for each "couple". Wish I could just get GOING.

Any ideas, comments, etc. would be appreciated!

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 09:03 AM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by bemidjibelleView Post
I am having problems getting my heritage album(s?) started too! I began with my 2 children, grown now, and also have done a page with my hubby which has his baby pic and a current photo. Now I THINK I am going to move on to his dad, and then his mom and then their parents, etc. We have info back at least 7 generations, so it'll be quite the job! Do I do the pages by couples? I want photos on one side and a little history either facing or on the back side. Then I guess I will put MY family tree and start with me, my parents, etc. I hate to go back and forth between the families, because that would be too confusing, I believe. I do like the idea mentioned in this thread about using symbols.

In this book, I think I will just have a few pics, a little info about each person, and then make more extensive smaller books for each "couple". Wish I could just get GOING.

Any ideas, comments, etc. would be appreciated!

Sue
Hi Sue,
I had the same struggle, and never really felt I came up with a "perfect" solution...but what I chose to do was each individual part of a couple, up until the time they got married...THEN I did them meeting, getting married, having kids, etc. (at least with my parents, I got that detailed). I did this because I started with me. An exception to this is any "hobby" pages I did in the individual section even if they were after they got married--anything unique to that individual, I guess. I also included THEIR siblings (instead of each having their own section, I just did a "Mom & her sisters" kind of page). If there were any comparison pages I just picked one of the individuals to include it with (for example, I did a spread with my Mom & me as a baby on one side, and me with my dd on the other side, talking about how being a mother has changed (or not)...I included this layout with my Mom's section because she had fewer pages than my section!).
I did my siblings AFTER my parents got married (as part of the "having kids" and being a family section). Others do it the opposite direction (the couple first and then the individuals). I think either way works. Another idea from the Becky Higgins Family History book is to have an index at the front of your scrapbook, so you can see at a glance what order it's in, KWIM? Then you could put one of those little index tabs (homemade or other) at the start of each new section that corresponds to the front index.
I planned on starting another album (eventually!) about my dh and then back through his parents, etc. Someone in his family gathered heritage info so I have lots of pictures on his side also.
HTH!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 09:32 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Thanks, Lynn! The ideas about the index and the tabs are great! I think I will add that, no matter what I finally come up with. That way, they can see at a glance who is included in the book.

I also decided that besides the main page on each person,( or couple as we get into the way back generations), where I am putting the youngest photo we have of that person, plus the latest photo we have, I am adding the page that gives a blurb about the person's life. On that page I am going to try and include something unique about them, such as my DH plays the guitar and I will have a photo of that, and I scrapbook and stamp, so I will have him take a photo of me doing that.

Other than these pages, THIS book will be a general introduction to each family and or person. Hopefully, even though we are going back quite a few generations, I will be able to get both my side and my DH's side in one book. I will make 2 of these, one for each of my "kids", then branch out, starting with DH and me, making a book for each couple, or generation, if we run low on material.

Does this make sense to anybody else? I REALLY want to get going, and have wasted MORE time worrying about how I am going to do these !

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Total sense, go for it!
Also, Don't know if you saw the pics above but there are some that are a "general" page about an individual, maybe something like you are describing if you added more pics to the left side?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #16  
Glitter Queen

I started a heritage album for my dad. I categorized the pictures according to family member. I started it with the family crest and the history of the name, then I did a page with the ship manifest that shows my ggmother's maiden name, a picture of the boat, an article about the boat when they retired it, added her birth certificate. I did several pages for each individual where I had pictures of the indivdual from child age to adulthood. I included tags with pedigree info - date of birth, date of death, godparents, date of baptismal; another tag had the date of marriage, spouse's name and children's names with their dates of birth if I knew them. I included the obituaries as well.

I am lucky in that one of my aunts "interviewed" my grandmother and typed up the family history - how the family came to America, where they lived, what jobs they held, stories about the kids growing up. I took and typed up some of the stories and printed them to use on that individual's page.

I have another aunt who owns a rubberstamp store in Ohio and has been a great source of info and pictures. She sent me a big box with old photos to copy and send back to her. In there, I found the best pictures of my relatives. I've even got some great photos of my grandfather in World War I and even found a copy of his diary during basic training and duty stations during the War. I love the military pages. In doing his section, I took the time to come up with a timeline from when he went in to where he was sent to, even researched and printed some info about the places he was stationed at, and researched, typed and printed some background info re: events that occurred in the towns he was sent to. Also, in the box I found old letters from my dad's older brother who was in the Army, a picture of his purple heart and bronze star and a copy of the newspaper clipping that appeared in the paper telling how he get the bronze star. He sent a letter back to one of his aunts thanking her for a jar of peaches she sent to him in Europe. I found a copy of a three-day pass, my dad's actual ration book.

I was able to show my dad, uncles and aunts part of it at my dad's 70th birthday. It was satisfying to see my uncle look at all his old pictures from the military. One of his lifelong friends was looking at it as well and the two of them talked for what seemed like forever about old times.

On some of my other pages, I've taken told family recipes that have been copied onto paper and used that as a background to offset a photo and then typed the recipe and put that on the same page so someone can actually read the recipe. Once I have each relative set out in their own section, I'll join the two families together with my grandparents wedding and follow the same format for their children, grandchildren. I grew up in a town called Johnson City, NY where my grandfather worked for Endicott Johnson's. I cannot wait to incorporate my birth place as JC (as we call it) has it's own history. I've got several old post cards from historic places back home that I can't wait to incorporate either.

I find myself doing a lot of research for my heritage albums and when I'm done, I'm always amazed what I learned along the way that I didn't know before.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2009, 09:36 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Wow, this is so impressive, what all of you have done with your Heritage Albums! Amazing!
Time and dedication is well worth the end result! I am thinking about doing this with my family too, but I am just beginning. I do want to make a mini-album for my father for Christmas. It will be short and sweet or sweet and simple.

Reply With Quote Likes