Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-18-2019, 11:20 AM   #41
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdyheidi View Post
Shaving cream technique, I have never done because it looks messy.

No line coloring, gave up on that one.

Foiling is almost always too much trouble!

I used to shy away from heat embossing just because I didn’t have a plug near my craft area and so I had to take everything into another room. I moved my craft area so I don’t have that problem anymore.

For the strays, I either stamp in black Versafine and then emboss in clear. And also, now I use an embossing buddy instead of the powder tool and find that works better for me and I have less strays.

I also noticed that big name crafters, now that they have such awesome cameras, you can see that they also often have stray powder on their cards, and the cards are still lovely. If they can get away with that, so can I!
I have to laugh. We're all so different! I absolutely love the shaving cream technique, I foil all the time (best thing I ever bought for the craft room- that MINC!). I love fine detail coloring, too- see this card:
Zentangled Zoo DeniZen by contrapat - at Splitcoaststampers

I haven't done anything with a gel plate (haven't made one yet), haven't tried anything textural (haven't bought any paste type things), and I never pull out eyelets anymore (I think I'm over eyelets).

PAY IT FORWARD CONTINUES:

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...l#post21698887

Cards request for Al:
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...l#post21294892
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
jeanne3579 and bjeans like this post.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:44 AM   #42
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrapat View Post
I have to laugh. We're all so different! I absolutely love the shaving cream technique, I foil all the time (best thing I ever bought for the craft room- that MINC!). I love fine detail coloring, too- see this card:
Zentangled Zoo DeniZen by contrapat - at Splitcoaststampers

I haven't done anything with a gel plate (haven't made one yet), haven't tried anything textural (haven't bought any paste type things), and I never pull out eyelets anymore (I think I'm over eyelets).
Your coloring is gorgeous. Whenever I read about someone (and there are tons) stamping images ahead of time to color when on a trip or loving coloring books, I think never. Relaxing for some; not me.

I have to color many small, detailed images for a large project for my 94-year-old m-i-l, and have procrastinated since January. Copics and and Prisma are fine - I just would rather not. (I do love watercolors and some other water based mediums and could alcohol ink ‘til the cows came home.)

You might love geli plate mono-printing. I use Geli Arts plates, but not often because there’s more prep and clean-up than with stamping and I’m lazy. It’s done in the kitchen for print drying space, and better on the stainless steel table over tile floors with a stainless steel sink than in my craft room/office. But I love it once I get going - for backgrounds and die cuts, and the amazing color and pattern surprises.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:03 PM   #43
Proud Fan Club Member

Beth, you made me laugh - thanks! So, here's another thought that came up while I was reading, ironically enough spurred by Beth's comment on coloring, lol!

I recently inquired about Copics vs other types of alcohol markers with the intent of replacing my Spectrums. I spent HOURS researching color blending groups, whittling and refining the list, loading up a cart at Carpe Diem because of their amazing sale and...backed off and bought nothing.

I realized that it wasn't so much my frustration with Spectrum markers especially, it's that I enjoy colored pencils and watercolors so much more that it didn't seem worth the investment to buy more of what I don't love most. The Spectrums and Sharpies and Bics will be fine for when I want alcohol markers, especially because of some info that I came across recently.

I am a huge Mary Engelbreit fan (she has my dream job/career) and she does her illustrations with a marker base and colored pencil shading. Eureka! My "sweet spot" of coloring mediums! It would make more sense (and be cheaper) to expand my range in colored pencils rather than markers, so I'm re-gearing.

All of which is to say - thank goodness that there's "something for everybody", and we can experiment and play and find what we love and what we don't and (at least, here on SCS) there's no judgement or right or wrong. Craft on, and God bless us, every one!

Old 02-23-2019, 04:54 AM   #44
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryalena View Post

Alcohol inks. Mine always look like crime scenes or chemical spills.
Thank you for my morning laugh. I almost spewed my coffee.

I stay away from acrylic pouring. I tried it once. Talk about looking like a chemical spill! It went everywhere. Even the dog wasn't safe. And the result was a bluish-brown mess. I might try it again using a kit that has all the materials included. I don't think it's my thing, though. Too much preparation for me to enjoy it.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:11 AM   #45
Mad Swapper

No line coloring. No matter how much I've tried, it just doesn't look good and into the trash it goes!!!
Old 02-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #46
Linking Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapjanny View Post
Thank you for my morning laugh. I almost spewed my coffee.

I stay away from acrylic pouring. I tried it once. Talk about looking like a chemical spill! It went everywhere. Even the dog wasn't safe. And the result was a bluish-brown mess. I might try it again using a kit that has all the materials included. I don't think it's my thing, though. Too much preparation for me to enjoy it.
Me too. When I have time and energy in the same moments to craft, little if any preparation is taking place.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #47
Hardware Hotshot

Great thread! I have a few too..

Pop-up box cards - I tried once and failed and decided they are just not for me.

No-line coloring. Same as above!

Gelli plate - I've used mine a few times, but I feel like it's too much of a hassle, I really do want to get it out though to try again.

Dies that match stamps - I find it much easier to just fussy cut, than mess around with tiny dies. I do like frame or embellishment dies, but really don't use them that much either.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #48
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellibelle View Post
Great thread! I have a few too..

Pop-up box cards - I tried once and failed and decided they are just not for me.

No-line coloring. Same as above!

Gelli plate - I've used mine a few times, but I feel like it's too much of a hassle, I really do want to get it out though to try again.

Dies that match stamps - I find it much easier to just fussy cut, than mess around with tiny dies. I do like frame or embellishment dies, but really don't use them that much either.

There is a wonderful pop-up box card tutorial right here and there are so many companies that make box dies. It is all about patience with assembly!

I tried the Gelli plate once at a demo and I just didn't get excited about it.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:35 PM   #49
Pearl-ExPert

I was gifted a gelli plate and did give it a go a couple times---even following several YouTube videos, but the results were way less than stellar. I do love making my own backgrounds, but don't think this is for me. Spend a half a day and got nothing of use.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:39 AM   #50
Hardware Hotshot

I love gelli plating but it takes a little prep, and more clean-up than stamping. I wonder if I’d enjoy it if I had had to learn on my own. I was the only student in a class given by a local instructor with decades of art and papercrafting experience.

And spending spent hours - not all at once! - watching Patti Parrish gelli plate videos helped. She took the technique to a whole other level, and it was monkey see monkey do, copying her stencil/paper sandwiches, though with different stencils and Art Foamies.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:46 AM   #51
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Zentangling stresses me out too.

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

TexasGrammy likes this post.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:45 AM   #52
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove13 View Post
I rarely use heat embossing anymore. I had been using it on every card I made. I put the cards in cello bags, where the entire card can be opened to see the inside. I sell them at craft fairs. I noticed that as people looked at the cards, the embossing seemed to be wearing off. What once had been a crisp image, became blurred as the embossing bits strayed onto the white area. I have stopped doing heat embossing totally because I can't figure out how to have the cards able to open, but no wear off the embossing. sigh
Colleen

This is probably a silly question, but is the embossing powder all the way melted? I’d noticed some people have a lighter touch - are a little gentler when applying heat, so the powder may still feel just a tiny bit gritty. That will rub off. And some heat tools don’t get quite hot enough for my liking, or take much longer than the Wagner, so powder may not melt 100%.

Or some powders are higher quality than others. I don’t remember the brand but I had one powder that just would not completely melt. I tossed it instead of donating/giving it away figuring it would be a problem someone else wouldn’t need.

But like I said, most likely a silly question. Your cards get much heavier handling than most!
Old 03-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #53
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
Zentangling stresses me out too.

Yep! Repetition in general stresses me out, and that's pretty much the definition of this particular technique...

dini likes this post.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:59 AM   #54
Embossing Fanatic

I don't always get a chance to check in here, but it is fun to come back and see the discussions everyone is having while I'm away.

I noticed people mentioning other techniques I steer away from like gelli plates, alcohol inks, and foil. I have mainly stayed away from these because it is something I don't know if I'd like and I don't want to invest the money if I won't use it. I should find a class and try it out in person to see if I like it. I just never seem to find the time.

I also steer away from messy things like shaving cream and glitter. I hate the mess.

I've never tried pop up cards (any kind of folded card really) or shaker cards because I don't have confidence in my ability to pull it off. I've watched videos, but I still shy away. I think these are some other techniques I'd like to try in an in person class before I try them.

Thank you to everyone who has responded to my thread. I've really enjoyed reading them.
TeeGeeDee, kazooMI and bzzzeee like this post.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:33 PM   #55
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Quote:
Also, I bought everything for foiling, and it is all still in the box.
I do have to share that I have gotten over my fear of foiling, and even get to play every month with the Spellbinders glimmer hot foil kits! A little learning curve, but I'm over here foiling all the things now. So yay!

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

kazooMI likes this post.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:02 AM   #56
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
I do have to share that I have gotten over my fear of foiling, and even get to play every month with the Spellbinders glimmer hot foil kits! A little learning curve, but I'm over here foiling all the things now. So yay!

I'm NUTS about foiling! Absolutely love it!!! Foiling looks SO professional.

PAY IT FORWARD CONTINUES:

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...l#post21698887

Cards request for Al:
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...l#post21294892
kazooMI and ckstampcrazy like this post.