Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shading around edges

ok, i'm having a dickens of a time figuring out how to shade like everyone else on here, lol. i've used a makeup sponge applicator and tapped it into or onto the ink pad and so on, but it looks like the square end of the sponge and not really smooth like as if it were "worn".

any suggestions? or tips?
maybe i'm using too dark of colors, i'm not sure.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: In my stamp room, stamping, painting, and gluing... with the dogs playing under my feet....
Default Shading with sponges

This is something I'm not very good at either, but I'm getting better!

I have some of those make-up sponges and that's what I used for months (the wedge kind). I had a lot of luck with them once I got the hang of it and figured oout how to trim them -- that's the key.

What you have to do is trim off the sharp edges. I did it with my detail scissors and made them look as rounded as I could. They look weird, and they're uneven looking, but they work. I still use them for a quick dab As long as you trim away the sharp edges, they work just fine. I also cut up a rectangular sponge and did the same thing, trimmed away the sharp edges, and got that to work as well.

In a PIF box I recently got, Marnie sent me a round sponge, and that has become one of my new favorite tools. I am slowly working my way around the sponge, using a different spot for different colors. It definitely is the easiest thing of everything I've tried.

I've looked in Michael's and JoAnn's and not seen anything like these at either store. Haven't checked Wal-Mart, but I want to get a couple more of these. It's about 3 inches in diameter and an inch or so thick, shaped like a jelly donut, sort of. My hand cut make-up sponges work as well, but they are a bit of work to cut and get "perfect". This round sponge is already perfectly shaped for the job.

I also always practice on scrap paper before I ever touch a sponge to something I've just spent a full half hour painting, no matter what kind of sponge I'm using. (Don't even ask how I learned to do THAT :o!!)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I would suggest using sponges that have more texture than a makeup sponge. SU sells a pack of 3 large round sponges, and I cut each one into 4 wedges; I hold the pointed part and sponge with the rounded part. A tip I read on Julie Buhler's blog is to use a swirling motion and start off the cardstock, swirling onto it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Makeup sponges are really too dense and hold too much ink to give a nice, soft look. Like Jana said, you need to use the round, yellow sponges -- they are available both from SU! and in craft stores, with the clay/pottery tools. Cut them into quarters for easier handling and to get more bang for your buck, and you can use a Sharpie to write the ink color name on the side of the sponge.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I agree with Rachael. I have great success using a wedge from the yellow sponges.

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
Makeup sponges are really too dense and hold too much ink to give a nice, soft look. Like Jana said, you need to use the round, yellow sponges -- they are available both from SU! and in craft stores, with the clay/pottery tools. Cut them into quarters for easier handling and to get more bang for your buck, and you can use a Sharpie to write the ink color name on the side of the sponge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I also prefer the sponge from SU and I cut it into wedges. You can rinse them out and use them with other colors, or just buy four packs fo SU sponges total. Cut each sponge into four pieces and you have one for all 48 SU colors!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Default duh!!

i never ever thought of the yellow sponges!!! but it does make sense about the soaking up too much ink(about the makeup wedges)...thank gosh i only got the pack at the dollar store.....lol now i'll have to pick up some yellow sponges and go from there!!

thanks so much ladies!!! you're awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

ok, i'm brainfartin.....lol...i know what yellow sponges, but is there a particular type of sponge?? i mean could i go to the dollar store or even grocery store, hobby lobby or whatever and pick up a "cleaning" sponge or what?? i just dont want to get the wrong thing....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

i'm fried , are the kids back in school yet??? lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #10  

I don't know if a cleaning sponge would work or not; it might have too much texture. I guess you could try it and see. I've attached a picture of the sponge we have been talking about in case that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
shading around edges-dscf1320.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

I agree with everyone regarding the yellow SU sponges cut into wedges. I keep one for most of my ink colors.

But when I want a really 'smooth' application on edges or farther into the paper, I also love the Tim Holtz applicator with Ranger's Inkssentials blending foam (sponge). This sponge is basically the cosmetic grade sponge, but when you apply ink from "off the paper" in a circular motion moving 'onto' the paper, the effect is wonderfully smooth and as subtle or bold as you prefer. If you're looking for more ways to shade with sponges, you might enjoy trying this tool & technique. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

idyemmert

thanks for the pic, i am a visual person and when the other ladies said yellow sponge, for some reason i was picturing the cleaning one.....hey it's christmas vacation for the kids and i'm fried....lol......but the pic does help!!!! thanks bunches......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #13  

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommarocksView Post
idyemmert

thanks for the pic, i am a visual person and when the other ladies said yellow sponge, for some reason i was picturing the cleaning one.....hey it's christmas vacation for the kids and i'm fried....lol......but the pic does help!!!! thanks bunches......
I thought you were thinking of the cleaning sponges. Glad the picture helped!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2009, 07:38 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default sponges

I have been using my old waffle mattress pad. I have ripped a lot of pieces and have them stored in a box. As I use a color I put it in my "ink sponge" basket. They work really well for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2010, 07:28 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Me too

Quote:

Originally Posted by indyemmertView Post
I don't know if a cleaning sponge would work or not; it might have too much texture. I guess you could try it and see. I've attached a picture of the sponge we have been talking about in case that helps.
I use these from SU also, cut into wedges, and when I`m done using one color I stick it into water and squeeze a few times and blot dry it on a rag, then throw it back into the container I use for my sponge pieces.... (I put it towards the back so that I`m not apt to regrab that one again until it`s dry.) They still look as if they have ink color in them, but really does`nt come off when I reuse them even with a lighter color, if I make sure they are good and dry first. I`ve been using the same wedges for years without any transference of color.
Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I go around the edges with a coloured pencil and then using one of those rolled paper things, use a bit or Skin so Soft and rub it from the edges. It's very easy, quick, and the colours are endless. I guess any gently oil would work, but Ihave a big supply of S so Soft, so it's all I've ever used. Hope this helps you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Default Blending tool

Try Tim Holtz blending tool and Distressable Inks. I suppose it might work with other inks but these are wonderful! Watch his videos on his website.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

Check out this idea from Becca Feeken's blog:
http://www.amazingpapergrace.com/?s=...nk+applicators
it's a great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

just a quick tip...no matter what sponge you use...start off the edge of the paper...use a circlular motion to come onto your paper lightly...keep going till you find the desired look you like. using a craft mat helps too...you leave and pick up ink at each pass and it makes for a more even look. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #20  
Glitter Queen

another thought... are you trying to shade while the piece is flat on your work surface? if so, try stamping the sponge on the ink pad, then swirl or tap it on some scrap paper or work surface to check the intensity... like mentioned above in a circular motion slowly start at the edge and come in towards the center of your piece you are shading until you get the desired color variation you want...

I prefer to pick up pieces I am trying to shade if possible in one hand and sponge with the other around the edges of the pieces with a darker shade of the piece I want to shade. I start very light just around the edges and keep dabbing and flicking the sponge over the edge... makes lots of noise, but I use the cosmetic sponges too, but agree that the yellow SU sponges work great too!

I have seen a few examples on the SCS techniques/resources as part of another overall project, but might help.. here they are using the Ranger product, but you basically do the same thing with either kind of sponges as well...

Faux Torn Mosaic Tutorials at Splitcoaststampers

at the bottom of the tutorial, there is a YouTube video and at the beginning she distresses the edges with the 2nd technique I mentioned above... maybe this will help a little... but I have found practice makes perfect! so take some leftover scraps and try different color combinations and different techniques and see what you get!

I can't tell you how horrified I was at my very first SU demonstrator class when we were making Christmas boxes and she told me to use the Chocolate Chip ink on white paper to "distress" the edges! I was (and still am) surprised how much more depth it provided in my projects! I tend to go on the lighter side, but it definately gives layed stuff that extra POP factor!

good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by indyemmertView Post
you can get a sponge that looks just like this at feed stores or a placde that sells supplies for large animals. They are very inexpensive and work like the ones I purchased from Stampin Up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #22  
Glitter Queen

I also use a yellow carwash sponge (not the cloth type but the ones that are very simliar to the SU sponge ~ I'm just too cheap to spend $4 on 3 sponges!) I found at the 99 cent store! it works great! and you get so many sponges by cutting them up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's something I do with the makeup wedges that everyone complained about. It's a different look, but one that I love. Take a piece of scrap paper and mask your main piece so that just the edge shows. You can choose the width you want for this, but have it be less than the width of the makeup wedge. Ink up the flat end of the makeup wedge. Do not tap off. Press firmly onto your main card stock piece, Repeat this process varying the angle that you press onto the main piece. Overlap your sponging until you get the depth and color that you like. Do this all around the edge of your main piece. It is a different look, but one I like to use if I don't have cardstock in the right color to frame the image piece. It also creates some interesting texture (and saves on layers.) You can see it on this card on the greeting and main image layers:

WT260 My knight in shining armor by Kathy LeDonne at Splitcoaststampers

Come check out my Gallery and leave a comment!
FS465
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
I agree with everyone regarding the yellow SU sponges cut into wedges. I keep one for most of my ink colors.

But when I want a really 'smooth' application on edges or farther into the paper, I also love the Tim Holtz applicator with Ranger's Inkssentials blending foam (sponge). This sponge is basically the cosmetic grade sponge, but when you apply ink from "off the paper" in a circular motion moving 'onto' the paper, the effect is wonderfully smooth and as subtle or bold as you prefer. If you're looking for more ways to shade with sponges, you might enjoy trying this tool & technique. ;)
I too, use the Tim Holtz applicator and his distress inks from Ranger. The distress inks stay "open or wet" longer which allows you to get a nice "grungy" edge to your paper. You need to work off a craft sheet in a circular motion and then work on to your paper.... Tim have a video here showing you "how to"... http://www.timholtz.com/vid_distressink.htm

Actually go visit his site - he has a number of great technique videos!!!

Life is not about weathering the storm - It's about dancing in the rain!

My blog: www.kattoys.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

For $2.00 at walmart I bought a huge car wash sponge, I use pieces of that for my ladies at my CTMH workshops, it lasts forever. We sell the yellow sponges too. I used to buy the yellow sponges back when they were about $.60 but prices went up and one sponge works as well as another. So the short answer is yes the dollar store sponge will work fine. Better than the make up sponge, those are just the wrong texture & density.
Reply With Quote Likes