Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-22-2008, 03:06 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sewing on cards

I've seen cards that look like someone has actually sewn on them...Is this done with a regular sewing machine and thread?:confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Yes many people sew on cards. I use a sewing machine on mine. You can also use a fine tipped pen to create imitation stitching.

My Blog - Crafting The Web | Illustrator and Designer for - Gina K Designs

2012 Design Team Member - Spellbinders
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Smile

thank you Theresa. I'm going to go try it out now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 11:20 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

If you're going to use your sewing machine (I do, love the look!) then you'd do well to keep a separate needle for paper projects as it blunts much more quickly than fabric. You can hand sew, too - works best if you make the holes first with a piercer rather than trying to pierce with the needle as you sew, if you see what I mean.

You might have to play around a little with the tension to get your machine to sew well on paper but once you have it, it's a quick and easy way to step up a project.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 08:15 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

You can also sew on cards like I do on the example below. There are patterns to hand sew on cards. They are really easy and beautiful.
Stitched Boy's Baby Carriage by jguyeby at Splitcoaststampers

Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I think Gina K. had a tutorial on sewing on paper with a sewing machine. I know she said on there that it can be hard on your machine since the paper can get into it, so make sure you clean it well. I want to try this, but don't want to wreck my machine since it is fairly new.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 07:20 AM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

You won't ruin your machine by stitching paper on it. I have an electronic Brother machine that was quite expensive and I never have a problem. I've been sewing paper for four years now...pretty much every day! Check out the link in my signature line below for my machine stitching tutorial.

Hope this helps!
Julia

I design for ... Ellen Hutson LLC, & Maya Road

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2008, 09:57 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mune5664View Post
I think Gina K. had a tutorial on sewing on paper with a sewing machine. I know she said on there that it can be hard on your machine since the paper can get into it, so make sure you clean it well. I want to try this, but don't want to wreck my machine since it is fairly new.

Yup, I did say that. LOL!

I talked directly to the people at Janome and the rep said that he does not recommend sewing card stock with the same machine you sew fabric if you are a serious seamstress. He explained to me that over time, paper dust and tiny little bits of paper from the holes you pierce can work their way into the electronics of high end machines.

So, wanting a second opionion in case that info was all part of a sales pitch, I called Pfaff. (I had a high end Pfaff embroidery machine and a five thread serger for years. I used to make all my kids clothes, curtains and quilts. I even had a craft business where I sold the stuff I made. I love to sew, by the way. I loved that Pfaff machine but sold it to feed my stamping passion. Funny how when your kids get older, hand made clothes are no longer cool.)

Anyway, Pfaff put me on the phone with one of their repair people and he said "no paper." He said that they have had numerous machines come through because of paper. They said the dust was a factor but they added that paper actually has some sort of oil in it that can add to the problem. It tends to affect computerized machines more than non-computerized models.

All that being said, other stampers have had extremely successful results with no damage to their high end machines.

I just wanted to clarify that my comment was not my "opinion," but rather the results of a little bit of research that I did.
HTH!
Hugs,
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2008, 09:59 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julia SView Post
You won't ruin your machine by stitching paper on it. I have an electronic Brother machine that was quite expensive and I never have a problem. I've been sewing paper for four years now...pretty much every day! Check out the link in my signature line below for my machine stitching tutorial.

Hope this helps!
Julia
Julia, your sewing tutorial totally rocks. Wonderful information! Thank you for taking the time to touch on so many aspects of sewing. Very thorough and thoughtful!
Hugs,
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 02:19 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

HA! If I sewed more than an occasional seam or hem, I'd be more concerned, but my singer sewing machine has sewn more cards in the last few month than it has sewn fabric in the last 10 years! Maybe I should just make it my dedicated machine for cards.

I have a VERY old Singer that my grandmother used...and I mean, this is just a step up from a trendal machine (is that the right word) and it sews better than any machine I've EVER used. They just don't make 'em like that any more. That machine is my dedicated fabric machine...although I haven't sewn anything to wear in DECADES...lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post

I talked directly to the people at Janome and the rep said that he does not recommend sewing card stock with the same machine you sew fabric if you are a serious seamstress. He explained to me that over time, paper dust and tiny little bits of paper from the holes you pierce can work their way into the electronics of high end machines.

So, wanting a second opionion in case that info was all part of a sales pitch, I called Pfaff. (I had a high end Pfaff embroidery machine and a five thread serger for years. I used to make all my kids clothes, curtains and quilts. I even had a craft business where I sold the stuff I made. I love to sew, by the way. I loved that Pfaff machine but sold it to feed my stamping passion. Funny how when your kids get older, hand made clothes are no longer cool.)

Anyway, Pfaff put me on the phone with one of their repair people and he said "no paper." He said that they have had numerous machines come through because of paper. They said the dust was a factor but they added that paper actually has some sort of oil in it that can add to the problem. It tends to affect computerized machines more than non-computerized models.

All that being said, other stampers have had extremely successful results with no damage to their high end machines.

I just wanted to clarify that my comment was not my "opinion," but rather the results of a little bit of research that I did.
HTH!
Hugs,
Gina K.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 02:50 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

oops double post.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 06:01 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Jennifer - [jguyeby] your card was sooo beautiful, I love it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 09:37 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

Default Stitched snowflakes

Oh I really LOVE this look! I can see this worked in metallic threads.... might even try something similar on my Mothers Day cards with my dandelion stamp. Thanks so much for sharing! sab
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn in St. LouisView Post
HA!

I have a VERY old Singer that my grandmother used...and I mean, this is just a step up from a trendal machine (is that the right word) and it sews better than any machine I've EVER used. They just don't make 'em like that any more. That machine is my dedicated fabric machine...although I haven't sewn anything to wear in DECADES...lol
It is called a "treadle" machine. No electricity required. It was called a treadle because you "tread" on it with your feet, rocking the plate up and down to make the machine go. The faster you rocked the plate, the faster it sewed. I had one when I was first married 41 years ago and it was old then! It sewed straight lines, forward only, no reverse! I made some great clothes on that old machine. That machine would have sewed paper great! No electronics to get messed up! :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 10:31 AM   #15  
Inking Addict

Default sewing machines

Mine are both "senior citizen" Singers. Mom's old machine, once a treadle that she converted to electric, has the power to stitch through blue jeans with no problem. Mine is that last Singer made with all metal gears, and still in excellent condition. I can't tell you how many times my kids jammed up that machine (home ec class!) and the repairman said over and over again "If this was a nylon geared machine, you'd have to replace it". They sure don't make them like they used to!

A neat thing I've learned about sewing on card stock is to use an unthreaded needle to stitch the pattern, then stitch by hand with needle and thread (or ribbon or whatever). I find that metallic threads hold up better when hand stitched, and I often want the look of embroidery floss on a card, tough to get from a spooled thread.

I use jeans weight needles to stitch on card stock with the machine. sab
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Is anybody having trouble viewing the font size on Julia's blog? I just can't seem to read it as it is coming up so small on my computer. I have been hopping around blogs all day and haven't had this problem. Thanks if you can help me figure this out. I don't want to miss out on the good card examples and tutorials she has to offer. This is frustrating. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sew Crafty

Provo Craft makes the Sew Crafty Mini sewing machine (about $10) which is made for sewing on paper. I have it, but admit I haven't used it!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 03:16 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

I picked up one of those handheld sewing machines at Walgreen's a couple months back (you know the one that ws advertised on tv a few years back for hemming curtains on the rod??). It does an ok job, but does take some getting used to. The price was right for me, about $12, and it is small and portable.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnsyrView Post
Provo Craft makes the Sew Crafty Mini sewing machine (about $10) which is made for sewing on paper. I have it, but admit I haven't used it!;)
I'm about to do you a big favor, but only if you follow my advice. Go find that machine, pick it up, run to the nearest trash receptacle and place it firmly inside. Do not, under any circumstances, be tempted to get it out. This will only cause much weeping, and gnashing of teeth.
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 06:25 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Jennifer

Where did you get the directions for the string carriage? So adorable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargirlView Post
I'm about to do you a big favor, but only if you follow my advice. Go find that machine, pick it up, run to the nearest trash receptacle and place it firmly inside. Do not, under any circumstances, be tempted to get it out. This will only cause much weeping, and gnashing of teeth.
Yikes! That bad, huh?
I actually emailed the company because I couldn't find my instruction sheet, and they sent me a new Sew Crafty! It's supposed to be improved, but I guess it's not!

Thanks for the warning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2008, 06:53 AM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampingdeedeeView Post
Jennifer

Where did you get the directions for the string carriage? So adorable.
I would be interested in links to any hand sewing card pages. I have only found this one
http://www.form-a-lines.com/free-patterns.php
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2008, 07:35 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I second that advice!! I'm popping mine into the Goodwill bag and maybe someone will know how to make it work (accidentally threw away the receipt!).

I saw Gina K's tutorial, and she also had either a link to a coupon or a coupon code for Janome Sew-Mini and I got it. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but I can't wait.

That Provo Craft one was horrible - the button to make it work just kept falling out and it would not work consistently. It would even start sewing when I least expected it!! Lucky I didn't throw it out the window. Their name on it was a total misdirection - I love my Cuttlebug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 01:18 PM   #24  
Glitter Queen

I just bought a $200 machine from Joann's called a 1750C White D'Lite machine (originally $399) It is on sale til the 15th. I too did not want to even attempt paper with my good machines. I love this little machine - it weighs on 12 lbs and is totally portable and yet has more easy to use features than my "good" machine. $200 is alot, but I plan on using it for more than just cards and thought if I screw up my good machine it would cost me that much in repairs anyways. Looking forward to sewing my cards !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2008, 01:16 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizGView Post
I would be interested in links to any hand sewing card pages. I have only found this one
Me too love that card, Jennifer!

Thanks Liz for sharing that link, I think I too would try one of those!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Stitching card patterns

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizGView Post
There are a few more at http://www.stitchingcards.com/sectio.../free-patterns
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Oh Carla-
You are too funny. I took mine out of the box, looked it over, put it back in the box and pulled out my old Elna. I had no trouble sewing through 3 folded paper bags, and I didn't even change the needle. The whole point of buying the little craft machine was so that my students could use it in class, but after looking it over, there is no way anyone would figure it out. It is going out with the next donation pick-up, and I am pre-stitching projects for class.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 07:32 AM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Punch-N-Stitch

I have a little gizmo called a "Punch-N-Stitch", picked up new at a rummage sale.
It has a punch tool, a clear plastic dotted grid to draw patterns on with a dry erase marker, and an 8 1/2 x 11, 2 sided foam pad (one side glossy white plastic and one side white fabric with a grid of squares to punch into. - It also comes with a pamphlet of patterns to start you out. The point is to punch the holes in the cs before you sew. Really like it and have used it to make sewn, beaded cards. You just slip your cs under the clear grid with the design on it, and punch holes into the cs. - The craft sewing maching, that I always wanted and finally found on-sale at a local scrapping store (for $5.00) works like garbage. I think they were originally about $12 to $15. Since have read they take a lot of practice to use. So use my regular machine to do patchwork paper cards. There's more control.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 07:49 AM   #29  
Inking Addict

Default Punch 'n Stitch

Thanks for sharing that info, catl8dy. Have a browser window open now, looking at that. Seems like a handy tool to have! Might be effective for poking holes for brad and eyelet installation too.

I've been using stencils to get my pattern onto the cs, using a piercing tool along the edges of the stencil. Works okay and you have a lot more freedom in placing holes (closer together on the curves).

I also really like using perforated paper for counted cross stitch to help with hole placement. I've also stitched onto the paper, then used that piece as embellishment.

So many fun things to do! So little time! sab
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2008, 04:41 AM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi sabknits - yep, it's great to use for placing anything. Have used it to mark for ribbon holes too. Good idea with the stencils. Yeah, it's like recipes....I'd never have time to try everything in a lifetime!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #31  
kraf*T*y mama

I don't sew can't sew - well not very well anyways. I have a sew crafty - I call it SO CRAPPY - granted it could be user error. I will stick to faux stitching and the occassional handstitching if I feel it MUST have actual thread - funny I am a good cross stitcher but can't sew!

Mama to Kaden, Blake, and Ava

Origami Owl Independent Designer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 07:57 PM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 63 Likes on 32 Posts
Wink Craft Sewing Machine Recommendation?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post

HTH!
Hugs,
Gina K.
Gina, thanks for your comments. I have several machines...a Viking #1, a Janome portable, an old Singer featherweight, and two sergers. I'm a quilter, obviously. I just cannot bring myself to use my regular machines...and suspected what Gina confirmed through Janome and Pfaff. So I've been looking for a dedicated craft sewing machine for cards. I would like a few different stitches...recommendations, anyone? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2008, 01:11 AM   #33  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Hi Gina & Cheryl

I've had a Necchi Goof-Proof machine for 38 years...it was a wedding gift from my parents. I also sewed all my kids clothes and loads of crafts.
It's still ticking and now I use it for cards. Maybe you could find a used machine at a thrift sale or in the want ads. I bought one of those little craft machines (they were all the rage a few years ago) and hated it, (it's sitting in the art cellar gathering dust).... so went back to the Necchi :-)
I see WalMart has some inexpensive machines available too, in their sewing dept.
Diana
Reply With Quote Likes