Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-10-2018, 03:33 PM   #1
Glitter Queen

Default Question about Kristina Werner's Simply Watercolor class

Hi guys! I know there's a huge thread here already about the Simply Watercolors class by Kristina Werner, but I have a very specific question I haven't seen answered.

Would this be good for a person who has NEVER dealt with watercolors at all? Not even the crayola ones as a child?

I have been wanting to dabble, and I am so interested in this class because I love some of the simplistic and beautiful cards Kristina has done on her channel, and the price is certainly great for a class.

But I'm wondering if I would need some basic watercolor introduction first, in the form of another class, or even if I should just watch a bunch of YouTube videos first?

I'm a super duper beginner...I don't even know how to take care of the supplies that I'm about to buy for this class
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #2
Polyshrink Goddess

Hello,

I consider myself and duper beginner, one level away from super duper, lol.

I really don't have much experience with watercoloring other than making swatches and coloring in stamped images. Kristina's class helped push me into drawing my own images and gave me practice in a basic technique or two, so far. In Kristina's class, she gives you the images to trace/print if you don't want to draw yourself. As Beth mentioned, there isn't any info on how much water/paint to use so it won't help you in that regard and unfortunately, that's a big deal when it comes to watercoloring, obviously.

Lindsay, The Frugal Crafter, the watercolor artist I watch the most, has an intro video here that might be of interest; she talks about supplies, has a pdf download of what she uses (in 2012!), and shows a couple of basic techniques:

Watercolor Basics {video} | The Frugal Crafter Blog

Another person I watch is Maremi SmallArt. Have I done any of her techniques yet? No, of course not, lol, but they seem like they would be good practice for a beginner. She's another one of my 'when I have the time' projects:

Painting for BEGINNERS - YouTube

I haven't finished Kristina's class yet, only getting up to the animal faces, but that exercise alone was helpful in it pushed me to mix up my own colors. Some were ok, some not but I did it and I'm not afraid to try anymore. My fear of "wasting" paint was a problem for me and you might feel the same way in the beginning. I hated mixing a color and having any left over that would get washed away that I didn't try to mix or didn't mix enough and then couldn't match again. I've learned that's just a part of watercoloring! (I need to learn how to use a color wheel, I think that will make a big difference, too)

I hope some of this was helpful to you and that no matter whatever/whoever you decide to watch that you just ENJOY the process!
dogbyte likes this post.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:12 PM   #3
Glitter Queen

Wow thank you so much! Such great information!

Last night I ordered some stuff off of Amazon to get started because I found some better prices than the store has. The only thing I haven't bought from the supply list on the watercolor class are the brushes. I am going to Michael's today to get them while they have a 30% off entire purchase coupon.

I will definitely check out the videos you recommended before taking the class. I feel like I need the very very basics before I dive in a bit deeper.

I ordered the Artist's Loft 36 pan set and it was only $9, so I'm not too worried about feeling like I'm wasting anything. If I had bought really expensive paints I probably would, but from what I've read the artist's loft seems to be a favorite among amateur watercolorers.

I am QUITE familiar with the Frugal Crafter. She's one of my favorites. But I have only really watched her stamping and inking stuff, as I am fairly new to card making (just started earlier this year). I will definitely have a look at her watercolor stuff too.

Thank you again for all this information! It's very helpful!
fifiwesfan likes this post.
Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM   #4
Hardware Hotshot

I didn’t think of Kirstina’s class as being a watercolor class, more of a card class where watercoloring was done. That’s neither good nor bad - depends on what you’re looking for.

If you want a class that focuses on basics - which would be for beginners, including those who have never watercolored - my take is they mostly are skipped - because that’s not the emphasis. But I do think you can pick up hints in the class, and for the price, it may be worth it and fun too. Just my take.

If you go to the end of the looong thread, you’ll see posts discussing that.

Last edited by bjeans; Yesterday at 11:35 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM   #5
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
I didnít think of Kirstinaís class as being a watercolor class, more of a card class where watercoloring was done. Thatís neither good nor bad - depends on what youíre looking for.

If you want a class that focuses on basics - which would be for beginners, including those who have never watercolored - my take is they mostly are skipped - because thatís not the emphasis. But I do think you can pick up hints in the class, and for the price, it may be worth it and fun too. Just my take.

If you go to the end of the looong thread, youíll see posts discussing that.

Thanks that is very helpful! I still haven't decided if I'm going to try and learn the very, very basics before taking the class, or just take it and diving in head-first!
bjeans likes this post.
Old Today, 07:11 AM   #6
Hardware Hotshot

The class is fun and not expensive, I bet lots of people in the class haven’t done watercoloring before. It’s not an advanced class. And you can go back to it whenever you want. Just my off the cuff take though!