Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-24-2019, 10:58 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pergamano Craft

I'm been trying to teach myself parchment craft with Pergamano but it's been difficult. Since this is a very old craft there isn't a lot out there to help learn. I've been watching Utube, bought books and have been practicing but it seems I need a lot more help. Specifically I'm looking for someone that teaches this art in California. If there is ANYONE that knows how to do this or has any suggestions, please let me know. Or if you know someone that can teach I'd really appreciate it. I have most of the tools and I know it will take a lot of practice but a teacher would be the best tool ever.
Thank you so much.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2019, 08:57 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Caseysb, it might be worth you looking at Clarity Stamp, specifically the Groovi range of Products. LINK HERE to the UK site, but I know Barbara Gray was opening a USA office this month.

Basically it's a new way of doing Parchment craft, and has got many, many people into the craft over here. Barbara has also bought the Pergamano company back last year.
There is also a link to a video showing how the system works at the top of the page. If you are on Facebook, Clarity also have a page on there, you would be able to see what people are creating. Link HERE to the Clarity Worldwide page.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 07-25-2019 at 09:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2019, 02:57 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Also should have said that as Barbara( the owner of Clarity) has bought Pergamano, she may be your best source of info on any tutors in your area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2019, 04:07 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

One of our former Dirty Dozen members Jerri Kay does beautiful Pergamano work - she lives in Florida... but she might be willing to share some of her resources.

A Touch of Grace
https://www.facebook.com/JerriKay.jimenez/photos_all (scroll down - her more recent work is swoon-worthy beaded cross stitch...)

She mentions Wightcat in the UK as a source for books and tools - http://www.wightcat.com/
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2019, 04:19 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Here's a blog post giving more information about tools and resources:

A Touch of Grace » Pergamano – Getting Started With Parchment Craft

And her certification is through this site:

http://www.associationofparchmentcrafters.co.uk/
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2019, 06:25 AM   #6  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink another source

I do both the traditional method, which takes hours to complete even one simple card, and I own a few plates, which make it very very fast.

The new Groovi or Vibe plates result in the same finished look, in just a few minutes. It's almost like an embossing plate--there is a track/groove that your stylus follows to make the indentations of the pattern. You can also use the stylus like a crayon to scribble back and forth over the pattern. The stylus still makes the indentations where the groove is, without making marks over the solid area. So you can simply run the stylus back and forth over the plate and end up with a beautiful finished panel/card.

Here is The Paper Hollow - selling the Vibe Plates. I am not sure whether the Vibe or the Groovi came first; but they both do the same job.

1st link is to Paper Hollow
2nd link is to a You Tube video showing a woman explaining pergamano.

https://squareup.com/store/thepaperhollow

If you go to Youtube.com and put pergamano in the search, you will find tons of videos.

Have fun.
Colleen
PS Don't forget the mat that goes underneath the work, so that the tools will push into the mat a bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2019, 07:49 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow. Fascinating - and not for the instant mashed potato set. Not something I’ll take on but loved learning a bit about it. #patience
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2019, 11:46 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

There is Parchment Craft magazine and there used to be a forum parchment craft not sure if it still exists. As mentioned in previous post Youtube has many videos of tutorials
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2019, 06:22 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Ecstacy Crafts in Canada has a lot of instructions and supplies. They also have an outlet in the US.
https://www.ecstasycrafts.ca/Parchment-Craft
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2019, 07:27 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,013 Likes on 867 Posts
Default Hello

I cannot give specific information, but I took a class on Pergamago at Stampaway approx 2015. I found Marco's paper has alot of the tools (I purchased from there online) and also hjas vellum. Sweet Stamps has alot of the grids and tools as well as stamps. (I am not sure if they are still open, but you could email the owner and see). And, they carry the vellum as well.

Best of luch- the cards are fantastic!!!

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2019, 06:22 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello from England. I absolutely adore Parchment Craft and over here it is still an important craft. There are two types of Parchment Craft, one is called Traditional and the other (more recent invention) is called Groovi plates. You can combine the two methods if you wish. Traditional is completed using tools and a pattern (and various colouring media) in many many different ways. I know there isn't as much Parchment Craft done in the US as in the UK because I have been lucky enough to have many vacations in the US and so few people have heard of it. I offered to deliver a workshop at one Michaels, but they were not too keen. My suggestion to you is start with the Traditional parchment craft. Yes it is much harder but it will give you a very good grounding in the basic skills. As you progress you can include Groovi plates - but ii is always good to learn the basics. The monthly magazine which you can buy a subscription for, is Parchment Craft and this is very detailed in methodology. Every month I am envious of a couple of pieces which appear in the monthly magazine. One word of advice I would give you is the actual weight of the Parchment paper you work on. 160g is very good, but for the majority of projects 150g is OK, I suggest you do not go less than this weight. In the UK we know the word "Vellum" as something very thin and is not Parchment paper. (It does still have it use though). I don't know if the rules on this site allow you to send a private email to my email address, but I am more than happy to help you in any way I can. The big name in the Parchment World is Pergamano. Martha Ospina (from the Netherlands I believe)started Pergamano many years ago and was responsible for popularising the craft, then Barbara Gray (Clarity Stamps/Groovi) bought the business a few years ago. Good luck with your new hobby. The end result is worth all the heart-ache it will cause you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2019, 07:04 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

amazing... never heard of it. some of the videos make it look like we can just use our present tools on parchment paper - but I'm sure it turns out better with their specific tools. Might have to look around for some parchment paper and see what results I get... thank you !
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes