Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-30-2018, 02:59 PM   #201
Insane Embellisher

I finally tried the animal faces. I thought this was a great exercise for learning how much water to use. I learned I either use way too much (the dog's cheeks) or absolutely not enough (the cat's cheeks). I had to go over them both with different amounts of water and blending to make them work. I didn't care for it when I did it but the next day, I thought it wasn't too shabby, lol.

SWC-2B by fifiwesfan - at Splitcoaststampers
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-30-2018, 08:04 PM   #202
Inking Addict

I too just finished and posted the animal faces. I had hoped to be a couple of cards further along but got waylaid by extreme sciatica. I agree fifi(wesfan) about learning things doing these exercises. What I find myself learning the most in these exercises is all the things I don’t know about watercolor - I don’t know how much paint nor how much water to put on my brush, I don’t know how to mix specific colors - I definitely didn’t know how to do those cheeks - nor do I know how to make a nice smooth surface or a wash background - there’s all kinds of brush strokes and puddles of color and water in my paintings. I guess I’m learning all the things I’d like to learn about watercolor - things I never knew I didn’t know. But despite all my limitations and ignorance that I’m learning about, the best thing about this class is that once the painting dries and is trimmed and put on the card base; once all the brushes and water dishes and palettes are washed and dried and put back in bed - again I agree with you fifi - it doesn’t look to bad at all (although believe me, my animals aren’t anywhere near as good as yours!).
Old 07-31-2018, 04:32 AM   #203
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSStammper View Post
I too just finished and posted the animal faces. I had hoped to be a couple of cards further along but got waylaid by extreme sciatica. I agree fifi(wesfan) about learning things doing these exercises. What I find myself learning the most in these exercises is all the things I don’t know about watercolor - I don’t know how much paint nor how much water to put on my brush, I don’t know how to mix specific colors - I definitely didn’t know how to do those cheeks - nor do I know how to make a nice smooth surface or a wash background - there’s all kinds of brush strokes and puddles of color and water in my paintings. I guess I’m learning all the things I’d like to learn about watercolor - things I never knew I didn’t know. But despite all my limitations and ignorance that I’m learning about, the best thing about this class is that once the painting dries and is trimmed and put on the card base; once all the brushes and water dishes and palettes are washed and dried and put back in bed - again I agree with you fifi - it doesn’t look to bad at all (although believe me, my animals aren’t anywhere near as good as yours!).
I like how you looked at this - I agree, I'm learning what I don't know which is very helpful in itself.

And your animal portrait is terrific!
Old 08-06-2018, 06:21 AM   #204
Cardstock Collector

Default What fun

I had great fun with the class and hope there will be a new one out soon. The price was fantastic and I had a couple of friends to work with also. I want to put up the rest of my cards into the gallery but can't find out how to as I am knew to the site. I would definitely recommend kristinas 's watercolour courses to anyone as everyday had either 4 or 5 cards and with the guest watercolourists it was fantastic value and they brought different styles to the table which was fantastic. It has increased my confidence in watercolour as I have only done a little before a couple of months ago. So I absolutely loved it. Dx
fifiwesfan likes this post.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:38 AM   #205
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Hi Denise, so glad you joined us! Here's a link that will help you get acquainted with the site. We'd love to see more of your creations.

Just Getting Started????? Here is a post FULL of helpful links!

To Share Your Art in the Gallery

And How to Do It Correctly

I haven't progressed past the first day of the class! Too many irons in the fire right now. I'm looking forward to getting back at it. I also signed up for the Studio Calico class that Beth recommended.

We've started sharing other classes on the thread, Online classes/tutorials and sites, what do you recommend?

Join me in some challenges! Click the below links for details.
May 2019 Fan Club Theme Memories and Milestones
Dirty Dozen Christmas Challenge
Ways to Use It Challenge

And be sure to share some love by posting your Favorites!
Favorites Best of 2018 Pinterest Board
Old 08-09-2018, 04:46 PM   #206
Kookie Creator

So I'm thinking about taking this class and am wondering if the consensus is that it is worthwhile? I've looked online, and many classes are too technical... I just want to have fun making some watercolor cards. Kristina makes it look SO easy, which can be misleading. I don't know how many years she's been working in watercolor and it's not an easy medium. Does she explain how watercolor actually works or do we have to figure that out as we go? Did you all feel like you learned from the class?
Old 08-10-2018, 06:37 AM   #207
Mad Swapper

I personally loved the class and felt like it was definitely worth it! I learned alot!
staci.d2006 and fifiwesfan like this post.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #208
Hardware Hotshot

I thought it was fun, but do not think watercolor was thoroughly explained or demo’ed. It was more of a card class that uses watercolor.

For example dipping a brush into water and into paint to demo and discuss more/less water/paint wasn’t a focus - the water was generally off camera. That surprised me a bit, though I do enjoy her videos and the price certainly is terrific.
I went to a watercolor workshop recently and one of the first items the instructor demo’d was using a “thirsty brush” to pull color off of the paper when you’ve over done it. That alone was worth the price of admission. : )

If you truly want more of a watercolor techniques/basics class with lots of explanation, I’m guessing Sandy Allnock’s on-line class might be something to consider. I registered for it but haven’t begun yet.

This is not from her class but you can get a sense of how she explains as she paints - and yes, she mentions the thirsty brush. : )

Painting with Thirsty Brushes ? Sandy Allnock
maryalena likes this post.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:46 PM   #209
Kookie Creator

Thanks, bjeans. Do you think the class is more informative than Werner's YouTube videos? She demonstrates a lot in those videos but the depth of explanation isn't really there, which is understandable since those videos aren't meant to be a class. I'm looking for something that's more informative than her YouTube vids, but not overwhelming either!
Old 08-10-2018, 04:57 PM   #210
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
I thought it was fun, but do not think watercolor was thoroughly explained or demo’ed. It was more of a card class that uses watercolor.

For example dipping a brush into water and into paint to demo and discuss more/less water/paint wasn’t a focus - the water was generally off camera. That surprised me a bit, though I do enjoy her videos and the price certainly is terrific.
I went to a watercolor workshop recently and one of the first items the instructor demo’d was using a “thirsty brush” to pull color off of the paper when you’ve over done it. That alone was worth the price of admission. : )

If you truly want more of a watercolor techniques/basics class with lots of explanation, I’m guessing Sandy Allnock’s on-line class might be something to consider. I registered for it but haven’t begun yet.

This is not from her class but you can get a sense of how she explains as she paints - and yes, she mentions the thirsty brush. : )

Painting with Thirsty Brushes ? Sandy Allnock

I’m looking for more of a techniques type class too. Water handling is a skill I need to learn. This thirsty brush video was very helpful. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:06 PM   #211
Hardware Hotshot

Gosh, there are so many videos on the watercolor card class, and different instructors... I guess I think the class is a little more in depth than many of her blog (youtube) videos - but not all? Maybe others can weigh in. But from your questions, it seems that you’re looking for a class with a little more emphasis on technique.

I got more technique from the Studio Calico class discussed earlier in this thread. Now there is sketching also, but just the watercoloring parts were so valuable. And I’m looking forward to Sandy Allnock’s - definitely more technique and since she’s targeting crafters, not fine artists, I doubt it will be overwhelming. But this speaks so much to individual preference!
Old 08-10-2018, 05:17 PM   #212
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryalena View Post
I’m looking for more of a techniques type class too. Water handling is a skill I need to learn. This thirsty brush video was very helpful. Thanks.

You’re welcome. Sandy was painting with a thirsty brush. In class I was removing color with a thirsty brush, changing medium value colors to barely there. It was almost like erasing.

We used Qor tube watercolors and I haven’t tried it with pan watercolors yet. But Qor are amazing, vivid, clear, now the instructor’s favorite paints. They finally got me away from my beloved $5.99 Art Loft set from Michaels. But I gave her a set and she liked it (and she is very kind).
Old 08-10-2018, 07:10 PM   #213
Crimping Master

Going with the Alnock class as a start and then k Werner. I can revisit three of the earlier online WC classes also. At the time I bought those classes I only owned one very small set of watercolors. I gathered that this latest class involved creating shapes rather than painting within stamped images and that seemed a little intimidating at my level.

I was given six filled pans of the Qor colors in a little Altoid box to try out. I also think they are really really nice.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:30 AM   #214
Hardware Hotshot

Coincidence (or synchronicity) time: received an email announcement this morning from Sandy Allnock. It has a lot of content, but one item mentions a new Watercolor Jumpstart class. Plus she still has her other watercolor classes.

Five things about you ? and a PARTY! ? Sandy Allnock

Meanwhile, here’s a 2015 post with some basic info:
http://sandyallnock.com/getting-star...th-watercolor/

Last edited by bjeans; 08-11-2018 at 05:25 AM..
Old 08-11-2018, 06:42 AM   #215
Insane Embellisher

I enjoyed the class. Maybe because I did some of the lessons this time. I think it being a 'simple' watercoloring class is what precluded more details in water usage and such.

Like Beth, I purchased the Sandy Allnock watercolor class but haven't done it yet. I enjoy watching/learning (?) from Lindsay, The Frugal Crafter. She also has paid watercolor classes which I've watched but haven't tried. She does live painting/paint-along videos so you can check out her youtube channel for past paintings to test out if you would like to learn from her. I did try one of these paintings and I thought it came out pretty good considering I had no idea what I was doing.

This isn't from Kristina's class BUT I think taking her class, doing the lessons, and the encouragement of this little group gave me the confidence to try it. The take-away for me (half-way through the class) was mixing colors which I applied here. I also learned to not be afraid to use your markers! I stamped the image on the watercolor paper and it looked terrible - as images on watercolor usually do - so I went over it with the Micron pen using loose strokes to make it look a bit sketchy (in a good way). I'm really, really proud of myself for this one and learned some lessons just by doing it, too. It will be used as a background for my sister's birthday card which will be the Mary Poppins-like stamps from Kindred (the Jolly Holiday with Mary in the painted park scene). She saw the painting and gushed over it, having no idea its for her! (Oh, and I used my good Arches paper, too!)

Old 08-11-2018, 07:18 AM   #216
Hardware Hotshot

That’s beautiful - and great surprise for your sister, how funny. And paper makes such a difference, yay Arches, right? Also great about the confidence from the group. Yay group!

I’d think some details - like using less or more water or how to use a brush - would be demo’ed at the beginning of even the simplest water color class, regardless of the emphasis - cards, backgrounds, etc. Not even seeing the brush put in water struck me. However, just my take, YMMV.

Nothing to do with that, but QOR colors have made me like colors I wouldn’t ordinarily be drawn to. We used Green Gold, which wouldn’t be a go-to color, and I swooned. In fact an art supply store just got a new QOR shipment in and I’m off in a bit to pick up that color and Cobalt Teal (which I’d marry). I wish I had purchased the 24-tube set instead of 12, since the little sets have smaller tubes, which I like.

Beth
Old 08-11-2018, 07:43 AM   #217
Crimping Master

Quote:
Coincidence (or synchronicity) time: received an email announcement this morning from Sandy Allnock. It has a lot of content, but one item mentions a new Watercolor Jumpstart class. Plus she still has her other watercolor classes.

Five things about you ? and a PARTY! ? Sandy Allnock

Meanwhile, here’s a 2015 post with some basic info:
Getting Started with Watercolor ? Sandy Allnock
Saw the five things post. I’m going with her classes. I don’t think I was subbing her blog when the getting started post came out. Thanks for that. I have Arches and yes even with my beginning attempts it helps.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #218
Hardware Hotshot

I thought I remembered a beautifully water colored ... pear (?) that you did.

Beth
Old 08-11-2018, 08:00 AM   #219
Crimping Master

Really? My memory fails me. I do have a pear die. Maybe a stamp pear outline. Hmm maybe more pears are in my future.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:36 AM   #220
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
I’d think some details - like using less or more water or how to use a brush - would be demo’ed at the beginning of even the simplest water color class, regardless of the emphasis - cards, backgrounds, etc. Not even seeing the brush put in water struck me. However, just my take, YMMV.

Nothing to do with that, but QOR colors have made me like colors I wouldn’t ordinarily be drawn to. We used Green Gold, which wouldn’t be a go-to color, and I swooned. In fact an art supply store just got a new QOR shipment in and I’m off in a bit to pick up that color and Cobalt Teal (which I’d marry). I wish I had purchased the 24-tube set instead of 12, since the little sets have smaller tubes, which I like.

Beth
I totally get where you're coming from with a lack of intro. Not seeing a brush going into water and paint drives me crazy when I watch videos.

I'm fighting the NEED to get QORs so you're not helping me, lol. They look soooo pretty. Funny you should single out Green Gold. That's one of the Daniel Smith's that I have and swoon is the right word. Its such an interesting color. I have 3 Mission Mijello (sp?) which I had gotten as a free sample and they are lovely. Fighting against those, as well.
bjeans likes this post.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:06 AM   #221
Hardware Hotshot

Daniel Smith wc’s are wonderful, so be thrilled you have them! <— non-enabling sentence.

The binder in QOR is different than in other wc paints, and some artists say that makes a difference. Golden makes QOR, so it’s quality. But I’ve watched videos comparing wc paints for properties like transparency, granulation, staining, how two colors mix/separate, etc. Daniel Smith (both types), QOR, Schmincke all seem wonderful, with some artists liking them all, some sticking with one they’ve used for ages, some jumping ship to QOR. And it’s also personal style, like loving or disliking granulation.

It’s silly that I watch/enjoy those videos, since I also love the $5.99 Art Loft 36-color set, and I’m not an artist. But the videos/articles satisfy this information junky.

Beth
fifiwesfan likes this post.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:26 AM   #222
Hardware Hotshot

Oldie but goodie thread? This class looked really neat, since making backgrounds for cards or for die cutting is my art drug of choice. (Mostly I use Oxides, alcohol inks, occasionally gelli plate prints, other stuff. And Jennifer McGuire just did a great video using watercolors by pulling them across the paper with an easy to make tool.)

I’m on Watercolor Misfit’s (Carrie’s) mailing list and am taking it. $27 but 50% off her relaunch sale for subscribers when she offers it this Thursday. So maybe hop on her mailing list if you’re interested? Hope someone will join me.
Exploring Watercolor Washes - A Mini Watercolor Workshop -

Beth