Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-27-2006, 09:30 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help what did I do wrong???

I attempted my first candle yesterday, and it came out pretty well if you don't count the fact that most of the Encore metallic ink I used came off onto the wax paper.... I guess I will stick to normal classic inks from now on unless someone can tell me what I did wrong.

I left it overnight ~ and this morning the tissue paper had wrinkled. I put another piece of wax paper over it and heated it again, so I will see how that works out. I am using a hair dryer cause I don't have a heat tool - is that likely the issue?

Also, does it matter what side of the tissue paper you stamp on? The image seems more crisp on the "glossy" side.

One more thing - you can't tell in photos in the gallery, but do the finished candles (when done properly) still look smooth or can you tell it's been "played with"??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2006, 11:04 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

my tissue paper doesn't have a glossy side.. so can't help you there. But when I'm done, the tissue and design have literally melted into the candle so you can't tell there is tissue. If I can see tissue I continue heating it.

Don't have a clue about the hair dryer issue. I do recommend the heat tool. Makes it go so quickly! And then if the wax seems to be bubbling or lumpy, before I remove the wax paper when it's still slightly warm, I just roll the candle on the table to even it out.

GL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2006, 11:50 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

should I leave the wax paper on until it's almost cool? I was taking it off straight away....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2006, 12:09 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

I take it off pretty much right away.. don't know if that is right or wrong though
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2006, 12:19 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I used craft ink once and it came off on the wax paper. I think that is normal. It did lighten the image a little. I also take off the wax paper right away after heating. I did fell like the candle needed time to "cool". It seemed to cool within 2 seconds of stopping the heat gun. I do recommend using the heat gun. Your hair dryer may not be heating the candle enough at once to melt the tissue into the candle. I never noticed a shiny side to the tissue paper either. I will have to look next time.
My Stamping Blog
My SU! Demo Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2006, 12:19 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't think a hair dryer would get hot enough to 'melt' the wax paper enough to adhere the tissue paper to it. I've only used my heat gun. Make sure you cut away as much of the tissue paper you can (just the image is what should go on the candle - or at least that's what I do) and I take the wax paper off right away. but when I heat it, I watch it because you can tell when the wax melts, the color or clearness of it changes enough so you can tell that it has melted and then I move on to another part of the candle (or keep doing the melting until it all has changed and is all melted right. I pull the wax paper off slowly and if anything looks like it isn't coming off right, I reheat that portion and continue taking off the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2006, 12:24 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you ladies so much for answering my questions! Off to try again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2006, 10:47 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I had the same problem with the metallic ink. I even tried embossing to help it stick to the tissue more but it didn't work. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd really appreciate it.
Daria
Reply With Quote Likes