Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-24-2012, 01:35 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to icandyscraps
Default Help with embossing powder please.

Hi Everyone! I think I am posting this in the right board, if not I am sorry. This is my first post and one of my local Close to my heart sisters told me that this a great site for learning and project resource. Well she has been right. I found TONS of resources for things that YouTube just didn�t answer for me.

I have tried so many tips regarding heat embossing as to eliminate any extra that just seems to full heartedly believe that it belongs where the embossing ink isn�t. Baby powder is a stalking, fabric softener you name it. The other day I saw this pouch that is to help prevent this at Michaels, but it wasn�t in my price range for that day. So before I go and buy it I would like know just how well it works or if I should spend my money on something else.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2012, 01:57 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The little pouch( I assume its the same as the ones we have over here) will contain either cornstarch or fullers earth. Both of those products you can buy cheaply, so you can try making your own.A baby sock, must be cotton, not any nylon in it, with a couple of spoonfuls in and tied at the top.
Other than that, I have used talc in a sock, or the anti-static dusters you can buy work well too. Holding the card by the edges helps, as oil from your skin will also hold the powder.
As a last resort, I go over the image with a fine paintbrush to remove any stray bits, because there always does seem to be the odd speck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2012, 04:11 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I also made my own pouch. I use a piece of scrap fabric, filled it with powder, and tied it with a pretty ribbon. It works great.

Welcome to SCS!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #4  
~LN
Rubber Obsessor

You could probably use a cupon at michaels?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

If you really want an embossing buddy and don't want to make your own, head to the ISO (Buy sell forum) I would be willing to bet someone would sell or trade one at a reasonable cost. I'd offer you mine, but I use it all the time! I use in on vellum cardstock before sending an invitation through my inkjet printer. I sprinkle ultra fine embossing powder immediately out of the printer and heat it gently to get glossy raised letters.

As my best friend says, "Stamping....it's cheaper than therapy" to which I add, "Not by much".

My mom was the proud recipient of my first handmade card. Cost $200.

~My Gallery~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2012, 03:08 AM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

It wasn’t expensive at all. I just had budget on how much I could spend and I wanted to hit the sale at JoAnn’s for some punches and sale at Hobby Lobby in Jewelry department. That was the plan for that day and just ran into Michael’s to hit the sale for brads. I grabbed my brads turned around to leave and saw it. I almost put the brads back and bought it, but then thought nope. I want to ask around to see how well it works before I do. If it works good I will get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I've used cornstarch in the baby sock and it did work, but....I found that for darker paper it kinda had a white "ash" left as a residue, that for some reason wouldn't brush off. I purchased the pouch from Michael's using a 50% off coupon and it truly is my embossing buddy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2012, 02:02 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Well I tried the cornstarch and it works better than anything I have ever tried. As for dark papers I found that if you lightly pat it and not rub at all. Then pick up and tap on your surface it don’t leave so much residue. Also it depends on the paper as well.

Thanks everyone. I have been playing with my embossing and Mica powders for a few days now and not getting frustrated with have any extra in places I do not want it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

I bought the "little pouch" with a coupon for like 2 dollars. I like it alot, it works very well and isn't very messy. I "punch" the paper with it until the paper has a light white coating, then I emboss. It will not show under clear embossing powder either. Anyway, if any powder is still left in unwanted places even after using the anti static bag just brush it with a soft paint brush.

Good Luck,
Cluelessly Creative

BTW: For small embossings just rub the paper lightly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I have found that the residue left from the pouch---especially on dark card stock---comes off perfectly to rub it with a Swiffer after it is totally cool. You can rub quite vigorously and get it all off. I wouldn't be without my embossing buddy and have had it for many years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the Stampin' Up embossing buddy, I'm assuming that Close To My Heart also has one as they have an extensive catalog like SU. I first had one that was given to me, and did find the SU one was much superior, I'm guessing the price (as our canadian prices are STILL more, even though our dollar is on par with the US, hmmm!) as about $5. So clearly there are different formulations. I also know that there are different grades and styles of embossing powders. I especially like the extra-fine ones, and like the Ranger brand--it comes in gold, silver, clear, and I think black. I too always have a fine brush to try and remove little bits.

I haven't been heat embossing lately, but remember being SO frustrated with those little bits, that for one card I made, I used some SU cardstock that had speckles on the cardstock, HOPING that the occasional speck would just look like it was MEANT to be there! Probably not the best solution, but it worked in a moment of frustration for me!

WELCOME to SCS!!! You're going to find this is such a wonderful place of encouragement and learning, and that there is an abundance of styles of cards and other crafts. Something that impresses me is that those who clearly have a lot more experience and ability are always SO willing to share their little tips and tricks they've learned along the way--such an atmosphere of generosity, and that allows ALL of us to learn, which is WONDERFUL!!! I'm dealing with a chronic illness/disability that I've had for decades and cannot often get out for classes, so I learn here--this is my classroom, and I'm so very grateful to everyone for teaching me. I learn just from seeing excellence in cardmaking, and when I have a question, I e-mail the cardmaker, and I've always received an answer, and always the cardmaker has tried to explain the technique to me. What more could you ask?! So you too will be a teacher here, we all help each other! I KNOW you'll be blessed by what you learn and by what you impart to others too.

I hope this helps...

Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Walmart also sells a little powder brush thingie by EK success that holds baby powder. It works like those travel blush brushes that store the blush powder in the handle and it comes out through the brush. I never use it for pre treating paper before embossing but Jennifer McGuire does. I use mine for detacking stickers that I want to pop up on foam dots.

I like my embossing buddy from SU! buy I usually forget to use it. So I flick off unwanted powder with a small paint brush and get bits from tight areas with the tip of a pin or BBQ skewer. You can selectively emboss and area that way too. Like removing the s from the end of a word when creating your own phrases like Thanks shortened to Thank. Which then allows you to add a stamp that says You in a different font ... You get the idea.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the embossing buddy but I also have a loose anti-static powder that I apply with a brush (similar to blush brush). The company where I bought it is out of business now but I'll try to find someone who sells it. I like the loose better because you can brush off all the extra white powder off cardstock so you aren't left with the white haze.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I use and embossing buddy too! I find that there are still spots of powder on my paper, so I use a small brush and try to brush it off. Just remember it's Handmade and it doesn't have to be perfect

Visit my blog:
http://shadyhollowdesigns.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2012, 06:42 AM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

I keep a small jar of cornstarch in my scrap room so when my embossing buddy hides from me I can dip the very tip of a paint brush into the cornstarch and dust it over the paper. Works just as well and it's there to dust over stray bits of adhesive that peek through doilies and such.

personallycreated.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes