Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-27-2005, 05:28 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glass ornaments

So I've read up on all these great techniques for making glass ornaments...but I have this problem with every one of them I've tried, be it glue or paint, pearl ex or glitter: they don't dry fast enough! I turn them and turn them to avoid "puddling" but if I'm doing the marble technique, after awhile, the marble starts to blend and I'm pratically left with a solid color. I tried heat setting them for a few minutes just to make them less runny....any tips? Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2005, 08:23 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Did you pour any excess out once the ornament inside is coated? I made the ornaments with paint a few years ago. Once the inside is coated, either pour the excess into another ornament or the garbage. It will leave less to pool inside the ornament.
Cheryl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2005, 09:04 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

yes, I poured the excess out, even let it sit dripping out for a minute just to make sure. And then I watered my mixture down a little...but apparently too much, because then it didn't really stick to the glass anymore. Maybe I have to find a happy medium?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2005, 03:21 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would love to get very step by step directions for these I have tried for 2 years to get th ese things right and it never happens. Help!!!

My New BLOG, come check it out

http://jen-stampininthemidwest.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2005, 07:24 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

bump -Have heard of these being done with SU re-inkers. If anyone knows that technique I sure would appreciate it. Don't mean to hi jack email.

"When you have trials,
count them for JOY"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2005, 07:39 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used an egg carton as a "paint catcher". The ones I made with acrylic paint a few years ago, were marbled with blue and silver. I put a couple of drops of paint in the ornament and shook it, then put a couple of drops of the other color in and shook it. Next I turned it upside down and let all the excess run out into the egg carton. My hands were free to play with the next one.

Honestly, once on the tree my favorite homemade glass ornaments are the simplest ones to make! Take the glass ornament, open the top and fill with tinsel. You want to fill it pretty tightly and then close the top. These sparkle so much and are great for putting deep inside the tree to reflect the light back out. And, no paint to dry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2005, 08:07 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksculler
bump -Have heard of these being done with SU re-inkers. If anyone knows that technique I sure would appreciate it. Don't mean to hi jack email.
Last years ornament technique that I did was with re-inkers. SIMPLE SIMPLE.....just drop 3-4 drops of ink inside the glass bulb and roll around and around and around until totally covered. If you feel you need more ink - - drop ONE DROP at a time back in...once totally covered.... I then took maybe 1/2 teaspoon (maybe a little more) of prisma glitter and poured inside the ornament (i just made a quick little funnel with a piece of scrap cardstock) Place a small piece of papertowel over the opening and SHAKE!!

Then I tipped the ornament upside down in a dixie cup til it stopped dripping.

Be aware that it's highly likely you'll have inky fingers when making these - - so if that bothers you, wear gloves.

Once totally dry (overnight is best) put the crown and prong thingy back in and then I tied organdy ribbon on the top of each ornament.

VOILA!! EASY EASY EASY !

Judy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2005, 08:32 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Default I hope this helps!!

I have tried them every way possible and here is what I have come up with. I have tried to use the reinkers and dazzling diamonds and it just didn't coat well. I followed the directions from this link and couldn't get it to work but others have done it with great success...

http://www.kimstamps.com/ornaments.html

Since I couldn't get them to coat right, I bought Elmers Spray Glue in the craft dept at Walmart and sprayed the inside and just bought several colors of ultra fine glitter.

Then I tried the ones with the Acrylic paint. Some sites said water it down so I did and it didn't work. Then I tried applying the paint to the bulb and it wouldn't move once it was in there. Then I found these instructions on Michaels' website....

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/p...heet?pid=99173

The trick is not watering down your paint but rinsing out the bulbs with the water and vinegar solution. Somehow it helps the acrylic paint to slide inside the bulb but helps the colors to stay seperate. I personally pour the paint in so it runs down the sides. One all of the stripes of color run down to the center of the bulb I turn it on it's side and keep slowly turning it to coat the inside of the bulb and once it is all coated I turn it upside down in a cup. After about 3 hours, I take the bulb out of the cup and put it back in the box the bulbs came in and leave it there for about 3 days to dry completely. You have to be careful putting the cap back on the ornament, the little pronges in the inside might scratch the pain off. We did these for everyone last year. A yellow and black one for the bus driver, ones in my daughters school colors for her teachers, they are a lot of fun.

I hope this helps!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2005, 08:44 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Speaking of easy easy easy....another technique I tried was to spray aerosol glue (actually, I cheated because I didn't have any, so I used acrylic sealant) into the opening in two short bursts from about an inch or two away. It "frosts" the inside, so quickly pour in about 1/2 tsp of pearl ex/glitter mix (or whatever floats your boat: plain glitter, dazzling diamonds and embossing powder...get creative!) and shake shake shake before it clumps.

Oh, and GREAT idea with the egg carton. I saved one the other day because I just "knew" I could do something crafty with it....

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2005, 09:19 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Great! I'll have to try the vinegar later this week, thx.

\
Quote:

Originally Posted by shannonlspears
I have tried them every way possible and here is what I have come up with. I have tried to use the reinkers and dazzling diamonds and it just didn't coat well. I followed the directions from this link and couldn't get it to work but others have done it with great success...

http://www.kimstamps.com/ornaments.html

Since I couldn't get them to coat right, I bought Elmers Spray Glue in the craft dept at Walmart and sprayed the inside and just bought several colors of ultra fine glitter.

Then I tried the ones with the Acrylic paint. Some sites said water it down so I did and it didn't work. Then I tried applying the paint to the bulb and it wouldn't move once it was in there. Then I found these instructions on Michaels' website....

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/p...heet?pid=99173

The trick is not watering down your paint but rinsing out the bulbs with the water and vinegar solution. Somehow it helps the acrylic paint to slide inside the bulb but helps the colors to stay seperate. I personally pour the paint in so it runs down the sides. One all of the stripes of color run down to the center of the bulb I turn it on it's side and keep slowly turning it to coat the inside of the bulb and once it is all coated I turn it upside down in a cup. After about 3 hours, I take the bulb out of the cup and put it back in the box the bulbs came in and leave it there for about 3 days to dry completely. You have to be careful putting the cap back on the ornament, the little pronges in the inside might scratch the pain off. We did these for everyone last year. A yellow and black one for the bus driver, ones in my daughters school colors for her teachers, they are a lot of fun.

I hope this helps!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2005, 10:54 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I went to a class that my SU demo. was having and she had us doing these glass ornaments. Mine always left a spot where the ink wouldn't go, not enough for anyone to notice,but, I knew it was there.We also put the glitter in so it would stick to the ornament. I don't know where I read it, to give the credit to but, they suggested that if you use the SU re-inkers let them drip onto your same color ink pad so you aren't wasting any ink and you are re-inking your pad. It works!!
Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2005, 04:23 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks everyone for all the help with the glass ornaments. Doesn't really sound like the ones with paint or reinkers are good for stamp classes or camps though. I think I will just stick with the acetate and glitter for those.

"When you have trials,
count them for JOY"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2005, 03:56 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksculler
Thanks everyone for all the help with the glass ornaments. Doesn't really sound like the ones with paint or reinkers are good for stamp classes or camps though. I think I will just stick with the acetate and glitter for those.

There is a person on here that did glass ornaments with glitter but also stamped images on tissue paper and inserted that inside the bulb and hten used Dazzling Diamonds. That would be good for a stamping event. Here is the link to her picture in the gallery. Under her picture she has a link to step by step instructions with pictures.

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

I haven't tried it myself yet but the end result is beautiful.
Reply With Quote Likes