Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 09-01-2017, 05:55 AM   #1
Glitter Queen

Default Foiling Problem with Toner

I love the look of foiling and so far have had the best luck with Deco Foil transfer gel. I do not have a laser printer so I went to Kinko's to have some images printed. When I tried foiling them, they were all splotchy. The foil did not stick to all of the image. I am using a Royal Sovereign laminator and tried both Minc and Deco Foils. Very discouraging. Any tips?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 09-06-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
Cardstock Collector

Sometimes it is the toner used at the printing store. It's not a heavy enough toner thus the incomplete results. Often it's simply the toner they're using...can't be a "color" toner either. Check out the Deco Foil Adhesive Pen so you can make your own items. Hope that helps.

Unread 09-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
Rubber Obsessor

You need to have it printed as Black and White otherwise it will use all the color toners to make black giving you the splotchy look. Hope this helps
Unread 09-09-2017, 12:00 AM   #4
Insane Embellisher

Make sure it is toner. Some copiers do not use toners. If you are using a printer at Kinko by all means make sure it is monochrome. Also, the paper is very important and should be very smooth. Georgia Pacific has some smooth paper.
Unread 09-09-2017, 01:27 PM   #5
Glitter Guru

When I print on my Brother Mono laser printer at home, I select best quality, 1200 dpi. I also use a Minc, everything I've read says it does the best foiling. Once in a while I'll have problems, it just doesn't like the paper or cs I'm using. I use the Heidi Swapp foils mostly- Tuesday Morning has had them lately for $3.99.

Cards request for Al:
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...l#post21294892
Savagetwin likes this post.
Unread 09-10-2017, 09:28 AM   #6
Compulsive Stamper

Make sure your laminator is very hot (let it heat at least 20 mins.) and put a piece of cardstock under the cardstock you are foiling so that it gets better contact when you are running it through. Hope this helps.
Unread 09-10-2017, 12:34 PM   #7
Insane Embellisher

I think it can also be the cardstock. Pick a very smooth one. The Mind is the best in my opinion because it is dedicated to foiling as opposed to laminator. The Minc has more temp levels also.
Unread 09-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #8
Insane Embellisher

Default Here is more help!

Here is the blog article I have found most helpful:
http://www.pinkimono.com/2015/10/20/3-tips-for-using-your-minc-foil-applicator/

This is the black paper I used for gold foiling. It was beautiful foiling.
Core'dinations Value Pack Cardstock 8.5"X11" 50/Pkg-Black Cat-Smooth
It comes in 12x12 size. I did a 25th Birthday card by doing the numbers with a thick font, printed out on my momochrome Brother HL-L2360dw on the black cardstock, foiled, and then cut out the numbers. It was perfectly even coverage. I do not use the carrier folder that comes with the Minc which I find too thick. I just use regular copy paper. Hope this all helps.
Unread 09-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #9
Rubber Obsessor

I've had my laser printer & minc for around 2 years (I think?), so here are some tips from me... some of them will just be confirming what others have suggested above:

- Cardstock is VERY important. Try some different cardstock & see what happens. Sometimes the cheap stuff works best, believe it or not.

- As someone mentioned above, it could be that the Kinko printers are not printing out the toner heavy (black) enough. Are the images on your paper super-duper solid black? Or do they look grayish? They need to be as black as a serial killer's soul.

- Try running your items thru the laminator twice and wait until they cool before peeling your foil off.

- If you are using plastic carrier sheets, try something thinner like a folded piece of regular printer paper, or vellum.

- Make sure there are no greasy finger-prints or tiny pieces of dust or lint on your laser printed designs. These can cause the foil not to stick.