Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-02-2019, 09:17 AM   #7801
Rubber Obsessor

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the input on the Popcorn Snowmen! I already have the fleece but haven't been able to find Hershey bars at a decent price so I am going to try the Popcorn Snowmen for sure!

In previous years I have found the Hershey bars on clearance at the end of summer, as someone mentioned, but must have missed it this year!

I agree that most chocolate has a long expiration date. This year a friend found big bags of Easter Hershey kisses in pink, blue, light green and silver. I am using the pink, blue and silver for Frozen themed treat packages. I sell a ton of Frozen items (from the Disney Movie), as well as Star Wars and Super Hero.

I found a picture of Microwave Snowmen done with the gloves, which I am including here. I plan to use the fleece, as I already have it and have been trying hard all year to use up my supplies instead of buying new.

Anywho, happy crafting eveyone! ~ Tammy

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #7802
Stampin' Fool

I got some very nice hand creams for $1 from Sally Beauty clearance. This is what I made them in to.
Attached Thumbnails
low-res-1.jpg   low-res-4.jpg   low-res-5.jpg  
Old 10-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #7803
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
I got some very nice hand creams for $1 from Sally Beauty clearance. This is what I made them in to.

Hey Diane,

For some reason I couldn't open up the picture - could be operator error
So I went to your facebook link and saw them there. Those are really nice looking, you did a great job! Are the hand creams a recent purchase? In other words, should I run to Sally's and try to find them? Haha!

I perused your pictures, you have such nice creations! I really like all those square magnets! I have a question, on those mini snowmen with the fleece hats - do you sew the hats or hot glue? Do you attach them to the little candy bars or will they stay on by themselves? I made those several years back but cut the fingers off of gloves. I haven't tried it with fleece. They look adorable.

I am recovering from this weekend - one of the two big craft shows I do. I am exhausted! Even though I have had a year of migraines, pain and fibromyalgia diagnosis, I still sold $2495 in items. I am very thankful!

Happy Crafting everyone! ~ Tammy
arlenevita and cookie1031 like this post.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #7804
Stazon Splitcoast

WOW
Old 10-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #7805
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKitchencreations View Post
Hey Diane,

Are the hand creams a recent purchase? In other words, should I run to Sally's and try to find them? Haha!

I perused your pictures, you have such nice creations! I really like all those square magnets! I have a question, on those mini snowmen with the fleece hats - do you sew the hats or hot glue? Do you attach them to the little candy bars or will they stay on by themselves? I made those several years back but cut the fingers off of gloves. I haven't tried it with fleece. They look adorable.

Congrats Tammy on the sales!

No. Sally is unlikely to have any left. They were in spring. My daughter works there so gave me the heads up.

I always use hot glue on my snowmen. I love the way others make them look with sewing but I don't know how to sew. I wrap the bars first, then hot glue the hats to the wrapper, then tie them. Alot of work when you are doing a couple hundred. lol This year, I am only doing popcorn for the snowmen.

Thanks for the nice feedback!
Old 10-15-2019, 06:32 PM   #7806
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Hey Diane,

I am recovering from this weekend - one of the two big craft shows I do. I am exhausted! Even though I have had a year of migraines, pain and fibromyalgia diagnosis, I still sold $2495 in items. I am very thankful!

Happy Crafting everyone! ~ Tammy

Wow! Would you mind sharing photos of your table/set-up? Just curious how much you had to make to be able to make that in sales! Congratulations!!!
Old 10-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #7807
Rubber Obsessor

Hey everyone,

Here are a couple pics to give you an idea. I want to clarify that I do the craft shows as a job, not just a hobby. I also work from home as a Professional Scorer, working contracts to score the handwritten essays for SAT/ACT College entrance exams. When I am not working these contracts, I am making items. I make an average of 3500 items for each show. This is my 12th year. I started out as a hobby and had a full time job. Over the years, I was able to pay off all debt and now work from home. I love it. I am not old enough to retire, so I must still work and craft around that schedule.

I have other photographs on here of my displays. The only craft show I do is unique. We rent our space, (I rent 3 spaces), and set up on a Friday night. The show is Sat and Sun, we tear down Sunday night. It is in a school, we fill the gym and cafeteria with vendors. We must have every item tagged with a perforated tag. Vendors do not stay at their booths. There is a central checkout that takes cash, credit/debit cards and checks. People get shopping baskets when they arrive and shop like they are at Wallmart, putting their items in the baskets and checking out at the central checkout.

The owners/organizers keep 15% of your sales. It suits my personality, as I do not like "selling" items. Every vendor has to work at the show in some capacity. I always work a shift each day on the cash register. The organizers do all the advertising in a variety of media sources, provide flyers and posters for us to distribute, provide the tissue and bags for items at the register. We can sell under their license. They cover all the taxes, credit card fees and bounced checks. I absolutely love it and their shows are the only ones I do. They have a mailing list of several thousands.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:43 PM   #7808
Rubber Obsessor

I make a huge variety of items. I set up in "displays" using 6 foot grid wall panels in a v shape. I also have 2 6 foot tables. This year I had the following displays:

Mallow Blasters (Marshmallow guns made with PVC pipe)

Car Gifts: Crochet Steering Wheel Covers and Car Coasters (little flower coasters which fit in car drink holders)

Paper Gifts: Bookmarks, Gift Card Holders, Rosettes, Composition Books

Star Wars: Crochet Edged Fleece Blankets, Crocheted hats, Bookmarks, Gift Card Holders, Magnet Clothespins

Superhero Display: Crochet Edged Fleece Blankets, Bookmarks, Gift Card Holders, Magnet Clothespins, Soda Can Ornaments, Handmade Gift Cards

Military Display: Crochet Edged Fleece Blankets, Bookmarks, Gift Card Holders, Photo Albums, Photo Holders (binder clip style)

Grill Display: Crocheted top dishtowels, Recipe Keepers, Meat Rubs

Cat Display: Crochet edged fleece blankets, Catnip Crochet cat toys, Photo albums, Handmade Greeting Cards

Dog Display: Crochet edged fleece blankets, Macrame Fleece Dog toys, Photo albums, Handmade Greeting Cards

Coffee Display: Crochet edged fleece blankets, Crochet Java jackets (hand protectors for to go cups), Coffee candy treats, Bookmarks, Handmade Greeting Cards, Gift Card holders

Breast Cancer Display: Crochet edged fleece blankets, Handmade greeting cards, Gift Card Holders, Bookmarks, Matchbook notepads

Frozen Display: Crochet Fleece Blankets, Elsa and Anna Hats, Bookmarks, Gift Card holders, Bon Bon Boxes filled with hershey kisses, Hershey Kiss treats

Kitchen Towels: Crochet top kitchen towels - These have been a mainstay since my very first craft show. People just love them!

Fall Display: Crochet Kitchen towels in fall theme, Handmade cards, Bon Bon boxes filled with candy corn, Candy Corn sticks (like M&M sticks), Crocheted potholders, Recipe keepers

On the tables, I have Crochet dishcloths, Crocheted Nylon Scrubbies, Horizontal Greeting Cards, Spa gifts (fuzzy socks, nail polish, lip balm, bath bombs), more generic photo holders, magnet clothspins

I also have a standing, spinning card rack. This year I made about 500 cards. I introduced Arizona themed cards and they were a huge hit! I highly recommend figuring out something special about your area and focusing on that - local college team, sports teams, animals etc. I made lots of things with Saguaro Cactus, since I live in Southern Arizona.

Anywho, this is just what I do and it works for me. I love seeing all your ideas! I use paper products in everything I make, especially tagging, packaging etc.

The shows I do also allow a free food area for vendors who rent spaces in the main areas. This is where I put homemade fudge, candy treats, teas and hot chocolate mixes. I usually sell around $400-$500 in food items.

Hope this gives you all ideas. Hope all of you have great success in your areas!

Happy Crafting! ~ Tammy
lindylou1220, DianeCraft and cookie1031 like this post.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #7809
Matboard Maniac

My Kohl's has the cute winter themed lip balms with images of penguins, polar bears, and snowmen on the tubes. I'd been stalking the Target Dollar Spot for them.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:53 PM   #7810
FiP
Kookie Creator

Well done Tammy! I know you put a big effort into your sales, but gosh I'm jealous!! I did another dismal market yesterday and made $87. In recent years there, I've made $200, which is good for me. I'm very close to giving up on selling and I'll just give my makes to charity. I am sick of people telling me my prices are too low, yet they don't purchase anyway. Don't say it's cute/beautiful/amazing, then walk on. Rant over.
AZKitchencreations likes this post.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:32 AM   #7811
Compulsive Stamper

FiP, I totally understand and that is why I quit doing shows many years agoo. I would loose money with having to pay booth fees, pay someone to help me, etc. I received great comments but not enough sales to even cover fees, so sad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiP View Post
........ I'm very close to giving up on selling and I'll just give my makes to charity. I am sick of people telling me my prices are too low, yet they don't purchase anyway. Don't say it's cute/beautiful/amazing, then walk on. Rant over.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:44 AM   #7812
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Here are a couple pics to give you an idea. I want to clarify that I do the craft shows as a job, not just a hobby. I also work from home as a Professional Scorer, working contracts to score the handwritten essays for SAT/ACT College entrance exams. When I am not working these contracts, I am making items. I make an average of 3500 items for each show. This is my 12th year. I started out as a hobby and had a full time job. Over the years, I was able to pay off all debt and now work from home. I love it. I am not old enough to retire, so I must still work and craft around that schedule.

I have other photographs on here of my displays. The only craft show I do is unique. We rent our space, (I rent 3 spaces), and set up on a Friday night. The show is Sat and Sun, we tear down Sunday night. It is in a school, we fill the gym and cafeteria with vendors. We must have every item tagged with a perforated tag. Vendors do not stay at their booths. There is a central checkout that takes cash, credit/debit cards and checks. People get shopping baskets when they arrive and shop like they are at Wallmart, putting their items in the baskets and checking out at the central checkout.

The owners/organizers keep 15% of your sales. It suits my personality, as I do not like "selling" items. Every vendor has to work at the show in some capacity. I always work a shift each day on the cash register. The organizers do all the advertising in a variety of media sources, provide flyers and posters for us to distribute, provide the tissue and bags for items at the register. We can sell under their license. They cover all the taxes, credit card fees and bounced checks. I absolutely love it and their shows are the only ones I do. They have a mailing list of several thousands.

Love the display and I LOVE those towels!!!.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:59 AM   #7813
Insane Embellisher

Well ladies.....
My sons dislocated knee needed surgery... He had it last Thursday and today was his first day back to school. He was a real trooper! They removed a 10mm piece of cartridge that broke off when the knee dislocated. Filed down some damaged bone. Drilled into the bone to create scar cartilage. Then made a 5 inch incision above his knee, cut a sliver of muscle placed it over his kneecap and reattached it under the knee. He doesnt know it yet that he is at risk of the same injury happening to his other knee. The "groove" his kneecap should fit into, his isnt very defined and he has some hyper extension in his joints so he is the "perfect candidate" for this type of injury. The doctor said if he has a dream of playing football he should get a new dream. He has to be very careful not to have any impact to the knee.
I will say I am proud of him. He was extremely nervous going in. Surgery went as planned and he only got upset once and that was the first night. He couldnt sleep and was overly exhausted. Even through all of the exercises he has to do, he has stayed strong and although you can see the pain in his face, he doesn't complain. I am proud of him!

Had it been his father.....the whole world would have thought we were killing him. I swear that man has ZERO pain tolerance!

At any rate I am back to crafting now! I set up my sewing machine.in the kitchen while he was laying in the living room and added to my bookmark selections. I get requests for bookmarks all the time and I like to have different ones each year. These are just some if the ones I made here.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:54 PM   #7814
Watercolor Wizard

Gina, I’m sorry to hear about your son’s injury and extensive surgery l. How old is he?
Tammy, I am amazed every year at the variety of things you create. I am wondering, though: how much of that $2,500 worth of sales is profit?
I know that I could never craft as a job, but I sure do love it. I wish I could make some money at it, but I’m basically happy to break even.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:18 PM   #7815
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnewithane View Post
Gina, I’m sorry to hear about your son’s injury and extensive surgery l. How old is he?
Tammy, I am amazed every year at the variety of things you create. I am wondering, though: how much of that $2,500 worth of sales is profit?
I know that I could never craft as a job, but I sure do love it. I wish I could make some money at it, but I’m basically happy to break even.
Thank you Lynne
My son is 13 and very active in Boy Scouts. His troop had a hike in planned since last May. Needless to say he couldnt go. He also had a plan to go to Knobles an amusement park here in PA. He was supposed to go with a group of his friends, stay in a cabin for 3 days, go to the park and then come home. He was supposed to leave on Friday morning. He dislocated his knee on the Tuesday before. He was really bummed. At that point we didnt know he needed surgery.
He has to wear a locking brace that is from his ankle to his thigh for at least 6 weeks. No physical activity, including Gym Class for at least 5 months after that. He will also most likely miss some of the camping etc with Boy Scouts.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:39 AM   #7816
Kookie Creator

Gina, I'm sorry that your son will have such an extended recovery. That is a long time for a 13 year old boy to have limited activities. My 12 yr old grandson broke his nose yesterday playing Frisbee at school! One broken bone near his eyes and a hairline break on his bridge. This is a kid that plays tournament and school soccer, runs cross-country, and is never still, so I understand your concerns. The happy news is that your son has started his recovery in good physical shape and is not afraid of having to do the "work" involved in his recovery.

I like your bookmarks and I have only made paper ones, but not for sale. What size do you make them and do you put something between the fabric to make them stable, or just leave them flexible? I especially like the "guy" ones and am thinking that these would be so cute for my daughter's 2nd grade students. Also, if you have a "Hob-Lob" near you, they have some faux leather wide ribbon that would be fun for little girls. It is on a tube like the tulle and is in the fabric section with the sewing ribbons. There is some that looks like mermaid scales, some buffalo check, and lots of assorted sparkly colors. I think it was a new item in the spring and I have gotten several rolls using my coupon, but none of it has been opened yet! I seem to be really good at collecting! Karen
Old 10-25-2019, 10:48 AM   #7817
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookskaren View Post
Gina, I'm sorry that your son will have such an extended recovery. That is a long time for a 13 year old boy to have limited activities. My 12 yr old grandson broke his nose yesterday playing Frisbee at school! One broken bone near his eyes and a hairline break on his bridge. This is a kid that plays tournament and school soccer, runs cross-country, and is never still, so I understand your concerns. The happy news is that your son has started his recovery in good physical shape and is not afraid of having to do the "work" involved in his recovery.

I like your bookmarks and I have only made paper ones, but not for sale. What size do you make them and do you put something between the fabric to make them stable, or just leave them flexible? I especially like the "guy" ones and am thinking that these would be so cute for my daughter's 2nd grade students. Also, if you have a "Hob-Lob" near you, they have some faux leather wide ribbon that would be fun for little girls. It is on a tube like the tulle and is in the fabric section with the sewing ribbons. There is some that looks like mermaid scales, some buffalo check, and lots of assorted sparkly colors. I think it was a new item in the spring and I have gotten several rolls using my coupon, but none of it has been opened yet! I seem to be really good at collecting! Karen

Karen, Sorry to hear about your Grandson! I hope he heals quickly!! When I was in high school I wore braces. Some girl spiked a volleyball into my face. My lip got caught in my braces, my nose was bruised and bleeding...I was a mess!!! The gym teacher pulled my luo from my braces which made it bleed more. Prior to that I loved Volleyball. I played it every chance I got! Afterward and to this day I have "flashbacks" and havent been able to play. The upside was they let me take swim class every semester for the next 3 years! And I LOVED swim class! 🙂 My senior year I had 5 classes if swimming every day! Lol I had all of my required classes fulfilled prior to Senior year! But....that's off the subject if crafts!

So for my bookmarks... I originally ironed on fusible webbing to one of the pieces of fabric. But I really wanted something a little thicker so I went back and got double sided stabilizer. I tried using it the way the instructions said but every time I got one side to stick, the other came undone. ☹ So I did it my way and it worked out so much better! They I stitched the three sides and added the ribbon to the 4th side.

I asked a bunch of friends to ask their sons about the ribbons and I got mixed reviews so I made some with and some without. I have a TON more of fabric so if they sell I will be able to make a bunch more! I have a woman who comes to my show each year who is a teacher and she buys like 25-30 bookmarks every year. Sometimes she comes to multiple shows a year and she is always looking for something different. I dont always have the time to make different ones between each show. So we will see how these go over with her. Plus it isnt like they will go bad so if it doesnt sell this year there is always next year!! She also buys my pencil sets. So I made new ones of those this year. The ones in the center are the ones I have made for many years in the past. The other ones some of them have scented pencils and the others have pencils with the big toppers on. I got great deals on both kinds of pencils!

We just got a Hobby Lobby last November. I have been avoiding the ribbon department because I have a "Ribbon Addiction" but I will have to go check it out!!

I also added 2 more bookmarks which I had made. I do have a bunch more I didnt take pictures of yet.

Oops. Pencils didnt post....let me try again...

Last edited by GRKIDDO; 10-25-2019 at 10:54 AM..
Old 10-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #7818
Insane Embellisher

Old 10-26-2019, 06:18 AM   #7819
Kookie Creator

Gina, thanks for the prompt reply and well-wishes for my grandson. This all happened on the day before homecoming for his school and that night was the bonfire, so he looked a tad different in his photos for those events! It was his first "homecoming" with a girl and a mum, so it will definitely be memorable.

How big are your bookmarks? I was also a bit confused about the stabilizer. I think you are using the double sided stabilizer, but stitching it on instead of ironing. Is that correct? They look very nice. I make pencil sets for the craft bazaar I do each year and only put 2 pencils in with a simple topper and I sell them for 50 cents. I didn't sell many last year, so I may put them at 3/$1 this year just to be done with them. The are in one of the skinny sleeves that SU used to sell. I like your pencil boxes, though, but just don't want to put that much work into them.

Thanks for all your help and I hope your son continues to improve. Kids are pretty resilient, thankfully, and it sounds as if he is already generally healthy, so that will make rehab some easier, but there is no way to "hurry" the time he has to take off from his regularly scheduled activities.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:17 AM   #7820
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookskaren View Post
Gina, thanks for the prompt reply and well-wishes for my grandson. This all happened on the day before homecoming for his school and that night was the bonfire, so he looked a tad different in his photos for those events! It was his first "homecoming" with a girl and a mum, so it will definitely be memorable.

How big are your bookmarks? I was also a bit confused about the stabilizer. I think you are using the double sided stabilizer, but stitching it on instead of ironing. Is that correct? They look very nice. I make pencil sets for the craft bazaar I do each year and only put 2 pencils in with a simple topper and I sell them for 50 cents. I didn't sell many last year, so I may put them at 3/$1 this year just to be done with them. The are in one of the skinny sleeves that SU used to sell. I like your pencil boxes, though, but just don't want to put that much work into them.

Thanks for all your help and I hope your son continues to improve. Kids are pretty resilient, thankfully, and it sounds as if he is already generally healthy, so that will make rehab some easier, but there is no way to "hurry" the time he has to take off from his regularly scheduled activities.

I do both stitching and the stabilizer. I iron the stabilizer on first, then stitch. That way I know they arent going to fall apart!! I start off with 2x8 pieces of fabric.

The pencil sets always sell great for me $2 each or 3/$5. I usually sell out ir and up with 1 or 2 left. I have only ever done "regular" pencils in the past. But those scented pencils sell in school stores for at least $1 and they always sell great. Teachers love them for their students. Students live them for their friends. I also make blue ones so there are non-cheistmas ones and the image is usually a snowflake.

Last year I got a good number of requests for non-Christmas items.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:53 AM   #7821
Kookie Creator

Thank you for the clarification and measurements! I'll give them a try the next time I have my machine out. My biggest problem is sewing in a straight line! Paper is by far my best crafting material! Good luck with your sales!
Old 10-28-2019, 08:17 PM   #7822
Stampin' Fool

Love the cloth bookmarks!

My shows start this weekend. I made some different kinds of treats this year.
Attached Thumbnails
lifesaver-train2-medres.jpg   nugget-caddy-treat-1-medres.jpg   nugget-snowman-treats-5-medres.jpg   peppermint-patty-treats-3-medres.jpg  
AZKitchencreations and Bohodiva like this post.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:41 AM   #7823
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
Love the cloth bookmarks!

My shows start this weekend. I made some different kinds of treats this year.
Thank you!

Love all your treats Diane! Cute Cute
Old 10-31-2019, 06:01 AM   #7824
Polyshrink Goddess

My first sale of the season is Saturday. It's been a quiet one the last couple years and I think it's because it is right after Halloween and people aren't ready yet for Christmas! Oh well, I've been doing it for many years so some people that do come look for me, which is good!

My Facebook page Live Love Stamp
brookskaren and DianeCraft like this post.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #7825
Insane Embellisher

My first show was this past weekend! Super busy Saturday, Friday was steady and Sunday was slow but still made good money.

I am sold out of Sooooo many things. I have 2 weeks until my next show so I really need to step it up!
Old 11-13-2019, 03:17 PM   #7826
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRKIDDO View Post
My first show was this past weekend! Super busy Saturday, Friday was steady and Sunday was slow but still made good money.

I am sold out of Sooooo many things. I have 2 weeks until my next show so I really need to step it up!

That is a good problem to have!!
My shows have been going well so far also. Good luck!
Old 11-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #7827
FiP
Kookie Creator

I have a craft fair on Nov 23rd. I have already done a practice set-up and packed everything, as I'm renovating and everything is a big mess. I am sure to forget the set-up in my (always do) panic on the day, although I did take photos to help (rarely do tho). I have low expectations, not done a xmas market at this venue before. This year has had poor sales at the 3 I've done, even the one I've done for many years. Good luck to everyone else!!
Old 11-16-2019, 05:18 AM   #7828
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Gina I love the cloth book marks that is brilliant and I hope your son's recovery is going well.

Fun Treats Diane

the one booth I do is next weekend and I have hit the nervous thing. ( I have tons made already but, I go through this every year, I take the money I receive from the cards and buy new dies and stamps and I have a pile of "new things" that were not played with yet ) (not that anyone buying things knows this ) but, I make my self a little crazy over that every year and some how I need to let that weird stress go.

My Blog
Old 11-23-2019, 08:04 PM   #7829
Cardstock Collector

Money Saver Worth and Fantasy

Quote:
Thanks so much for the info! I live in Tucson and with the wages here being lower, I know I could not get more than that for them!

I had to laugh the other day as I was watching a youtube craft gal go on and on about how she prices items - she charges unbelievably high prices "because she knows her worth". Well, I know my worth and it is not based on my crafts! It is a hot topic, pricing, but I think the biggest factor is to know your audience/location and what the market will bear. If I can't make something for a profit or it is too time consuming, I simply don't make it for craft fairs. I may make it for personal gifts.

Sorry to get off on a rant, that woman on that youtube channel really was offensive!

Anywho, happy crafting to all! ~Tammy
Tammy: IKR!!! I saw the same video and couldn't stop laughing myself! I've been doing craft shows for more years than I want to count. I'm not judging anyone else's wallet to my own, but I've never seen a group of people with $35 in their hands running to pay a crafter for a fancy paper box. I've been to sweet little church shows to expensively produced gift shows that draw more than 100,000 attendees.

I not only know my worth, but what a paper box is worth to me. I don't mind paying for what I consider an expensive item if it meets my needs and I want it. But I will not pay for anything if it's overpriced, handmade or not. I believe others won't either so like you, if something is too complicated or doesn't return a good margin (at least 75% but I like a 90% margin better), then I won't sell it.

I would rather turn over inventory that is priced right than try to sell merchandise that is fantasy priced that will eventually get stale waiting to be purchased. There are a couple of crafters in my area who do this. But that's just me - everyone is different. I'm not saying it can't be done but it doesn't seem sustainable.

There is a woman in my area who makes hundreds, probably thousands of the cutest paper treats. Her display is beautiful and full. She is swamped at the one craft show she does and sells out because her price points are on point. Nothing she makes is more than $5. She knows her market. She makes bank on volume.

As for crafters' videos, if they don't share pricing, I immediately stop watching and move on. WE WANT TO KNOW! Yes, I understand pricing will be different in my area but it's informative to see pricing in other areas.

Tammy, I want to say thank you so much for sharing your ideas, how you price, so much of how your shows work, etc. It truly helps and it's very inspiring! And you are so sincere and positive! I hope you have the best year ever!

Happy Crafting!
Shebarie
cookie1031 and AZKitchencreations like this post.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:27 PM   #7830
FiP
Kookie Creator

I did a handmade market yesterday and made $60 above the booth fee. And I had to carry all my tables and items quite a distance from the car park to the hall, because they didn't enable parking next to the hall like they did last market there. My back was killing me before I'd even set up. Not many customers and the most expensive items I sold were $2.50. I made about a dozen sales. So disappointing. I'm about ready to give up on selling and just give all my makes to charity.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:36 AM   #7831
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiP View Post
I did a handmade market yesterday and made $60 above the booth fee. And I had to carry all my tables and items quite a distance from the car park to the hall, because they didn't enable parking next to the hall like they did last market there. My back was killing me before I'd even set up. Not many customers and the most expensive items I sold were $2.50. I made about a dozen sales. So disappointing. I'm about ready to give up on selling and just give all my makes to charity.

I am SO sorry to hear this! I can imagine how frustrating and discouraging this is. I would feel the same way if that was my situation. I love the shows I do and the owners, but if they weren't doing it, I doubt I would sell anymore. It is so much work to transport/set up/tear down, and then if there isn't much traffic - ugh!

I don't know if you are doing any more shows, but if so, I pray they are better! If I remember correctly, you make a lot of cards? I follow a few youtubers who make cards for troops (Bourbon Creek Crafts) and Kristi Marcotte makes for Children's hospitals and Seniors homes. Just some ideas.

Hoping for a good day! Crafty hugs! ~Tammy
Old 11-25-2019, 07:50 AM   #7832
Rubber Obsessor

Shebarie, Thank you for your kind words!

It has been a tough year for me with some health issues. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia this spring (which I am still wrapping my brain around) and I have had terrible migraines, averaging 14 a month, plus back and neck pain. I have had many, many tests - MRI's, xrays, CT scans, ultrasounds, plus I have seen neurologists, pain docs, Physical therapists, tried different drugs - no one can figure out what is wrong. Then, in August, I went in for a routine eye exam because I had scratched my glasses and wanted to get a new pair. I told them about the migraines. During the exam they discovered that my pupils are two different sizes (first time in my life) and they do not respond to light like they should. I asked what would cause that? She said that it could be a brain tumor, signs of an aneurysm or stroke, or a rare form of cancer. She ordered an immediate MRI.
Praise God, my MRI was normal but they still don't know what is going on. So- all that to say - I appreciate the kind, encouraging words!

I love this sight so much, all the great ideas and tips. I know we all feel each others pain and discouragement at low sales or frustrating customers, or annoying vendors. We all work hard and love creating. We all have families and other things going on in our lives that impact our creativity.

As we approach the Thanksgiving Holiday here in the United States, I just want to thank all of you on here, who share your ideas, your experiences and life happenings - I appreciate you!

Happy Crafting! ~ Tammy
shebarie likes this post.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:27 PM   #7833
FiP
Kookie Creator

Thanks for the sympathy Tammy! I am sorry to hear that you are going through a scary time with your health. I have daily back pain and it does wear you down when other things don't go well. A funny thing I noticed this year is that post-it notes were popular (like they were many years ago) and I had scarcely sold any in the years in between. Whereas pen holders which have been good sellers for me for a couple of years, I sold only one, I think. You can never tell. I just wish my higher priced stuff (up to $12) was more popular. Sigh!
Old 11-26-2019, 10:44 AM   #7834
Insane Embellisher

My first 2 big (2 and 3 day) shows are complete! 2 more to go! I already have surpassed last year's (or any other previous year). I wanted to upload some photos but I am sitting here falling asleep so I cant think straight. I will try to post more later.

lindylou1220 likes this post.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:42 AM   #7835
Pearl-ExPert

So now the craft sales are in full swing. Just curious what new item did you make this year which was a big hit, and did you make any “never again” items?

I know from experience in the past this sometimes is the case.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:20 AM   #7836
Insane Embellisher

I had a few new things this year. I have 1 more show to go, this coming Saturday.

Mini tic tac holders made 59 (one came broken in the package so I used it as a sample. Which by the way someone stole off the table) I only had them at one show so far and sold 30+.

Money holders. I had never offered before. Sold out at all 3 shows and had to make more. By the way the Sloth was a HUGE hit!

Andes Mint Chocolate favors (only at the last sale. Didnt have a chance to make them sooner

Spa buckets and Kids Spa buckets The last show was the first time I had the kid's buckets. This is the only photo I have:

M&M sticks I never made them before because I was afraid to jump on the bandwagon with the "open" food. I sold well over 100!!

Peppermint Patties 2pack again only at the last show I did

The only thing I made that sold Zero were Santa keys. However I only had them at the last show and I dont think I had them in a good spot. I had made them years ago and they sold great! So I am not giving up on them! And while I am thinking of it, I only displayed the more religious one. Maybe that didnt go over well with people?

One other thing that surprised me because they usually sell great is shower gels. Sales have been hit or miss on them this year. Meanwhile the lotions exactly like them sold out! Excuse the photo. It seems to be the only one I have.

Oh and one last thing only sold a few Dove lotion Snowmen. I heard so many people say they never heard of Dove products??
Old 12-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #7837
Insane Embellisher

[QUOTE=GRKIDDO;21894459]I had a few new things this year. I have 1 more show to go, this coming Saturday.

Adding that I forgot to add the second Santa Key.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:46 PM   #7838
Stampin' Fool

My craft shows are all done now and it was a pretty good year overall. My magnets and bookmarks sold well as usual.

For treats, I ventured in to the Hershey nugget chocolates this year (which are more popular in USA than Canada). I live in a border town, so shop in US for many chocolate/candy items which make for some unique treat items. I have had less success with the straight up nugget packs, so added some designing to these items.

Next were the peppermint patties which I used to do years ago. I had fun with mixing up the papers on these ones. These sold out almost immediately.

I changed up the M&M treat sticks this year for sixlets and the sale were ok but slow for my usual treats items. Did sell out though.

I was trying to use up some of my supplies so went for a more boring hot chocolate basic pack this year. I sealed some cards to make pockets and just slid the items into the pocket. Sold for $1 and did sell 90 of these.

Also had gourmet hot chocolate with the specialty (pricier) hot chocolate

[IMG]https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.splitcoaststampers.com-vbulletin/420x429/img_3023_6e7836d481e4874eef687
I changed up the M&M treat sticks this year for sixlets and the sale were ok but slow for my usual treats items. Did sell out though.

I was trying to use up some of my supplies so went for a more boring hot chocolate basic pack this year. I sealed some cards to make pockets and I was trying to use up some of my supplies so went for a more boring hot chocolate basic pack this year. I sealed some cards to make pockets and just slid the items into the pocket. Sold for $1 and did sell 90 of these.

[IMG]https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.splitcoaststampers.com-vbulletin/420x429/img_3023_6e7836d481e4874eef687

I was trying to use up some of my supplies so went for a more boring hot chocolate basic pack this year. I sealed some cards to make pockets and just slid the items into the pocket. Sold for $1 and did sell 90 of these.

I also had life saver candy trains, tic tac snowmen, grinch pills and popcorn snowmen. All sold out.
Tea packs were a slower sell this year which is not usually the case but it's ok because they have a long expiry date and will keep until next year.

shebarie likes this post.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:48 PM   #7839
Stampin' Fool

Not sure why a bunch of those pictures repeated a couple times in that post!! I just uploaded once. lol
Old 12-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #7840
Stampin' Fool

The most disappointing item for me this year were the paperclip/planner bookmark sets of 3. People barely looked at them.

This year I was surprised by how many hair clip sets I sold. I have these on my table every year just to have variety. I sold them all in the first couple shows and had to make more this year. I think it's because the vendors who used to sell them have stopped coming. They were on trend a few years back. People still like them though. This is one of the main reasons I like to have variety on my table as different things appeal to different people!

Have a look on my Facebook page for some of my other goodies.
GRKIDDO likes this post.