Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-01-2019, 01:48 PM   #7761
FiP
Kookie Creator

Oh Gina! You can't catch a break, can you!! I have just separated from my husband and I'm doing a craft fair this Saturday. I have had no time and no mojo, but of course I already had enough stock made for a full display. Our weather has just ticked over to Spring here, and it's predicted to be a hot week, so hopefully not too bad for the fair.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-01-2019, 02:16 PM   #7762
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiP View Post
Oh Gina! You can't catch a break, can you!! I have just separated from my husband and I'm doing a craft fair this Saturday. I have had no time and no mojo, but of course I already had enough stock made for a full display. Our weather has just ticked over to Spring here, and it's predicted to be a hot week, so hopefully not too bad for the fair.
Sorry to hear about your split up.

I hope your show goes great!!!!
JBgreendawn likes this post.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:41 AM   #7763
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

(( Gina ))

hopefully its a much more normal fall for your family.

FiP I am also sorry to read that, hope the show went well for you.

Me I've spent some time chopping up scraps with die's to make things that will eventually become gift tags I think. but, nothing really serious is under way yet here.
the puppy has a limited amount of time that she can behave in the studio when awake

My Blog
Old 09-02-2019, 07:53 AM   #7764
Pearl-ExPert

Gina, my son would say “ if I didn’t have “bad” luck I wouldn’t have any” . Hopefully things will turn around for you as you certainly deserve it.

Flip, sorry to hear your news. I hope you have a great show. Let’s us know.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:33 AM   #7765
Insane Embellisher

Thank you ladies!

I just got an email for my contract for my big show in November. That should be enough to light a fire under me to get stuff done!! LOL
pepperann and JBgreendawn like this post.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:05 AM   #7766
Pearl-ExPert

nothing like a looming deadline to get the mojo going
Old 09-03-2019, 03:01 PM   #7767
Stampin' Fool

I have started to increase the speed of crafting in preparation for shows. I actually signed up for one the 3rd week of September too so that has helped.
I have been working on some papercraft things to add this year. New gift card holders, some of the paperclip bookmark sets, and I am trying to decide on a wrapper/stand to put these nice hand creams I got at discount from Sally Beauty (my daughter works there and they get their discount on top of clearance items).

I have been steadily making glass magnets also which are a big staple for me at shows. I have run out of some of my small size and the supplier has them on backorder for 6-8 weeks so I think I am hooped on getting any more of those done. Anyone know where to get the 20mm size of the marble type gems that are clear? They are all over the place (Michaels, etc) with a lustre finish but I use only the clear ones and cannot find them anywhere online or in stores.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:23 AM   #7768
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Diane are they these?
(if you click on the other sizes sold they have different photos of them)

Amazon.com: Acmer 120 Pieces 20mm Transparent Glass cabochons,Clear Glass Dome cabochon, Non-calibrated Round 0.79 inch/20mm for Photo Pendant Craft Jewelry Making: Gateway

My Blog
Old 09-15-2019, 08:56 PM   #7769
Stampin' Fool

Hi Stacy,
No. These are beautiful glass pieces but are flatter overall. I use the vase filler style which are thicker and create a bubble effect which makes them easier to hold and grab. I had a peek today and my usual supplier has them back in stock.
Panacea Glass Gems 12 oz. Clear -- CreateForLess
Old 09-15-2019, 09:34 PM   #7770
Stampin' Fool

Stacy,
Spent some time perusing your blog. As always, I loved it! Your new puppy is settling in nicely.
Are you doing the craft show this year?
Old 09-17-2019, 07:29 PM   #7771
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Yes, just the one at the school and the good news is that I was able to buy the space behind me so now the booth is 12X12 instead of 6X12 so, all the display will make it there again this year.

(which then has me doing a mental count of stuff that is made the last couple of years I could not take everything)

My Blog
Old 09-18-2019, 09:48 AM   #7772
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
I have started to increase the speed of crafting in preparation for shows. I actually signed up for one the 3rd week of September too so that has helped.
I have been working on some papercraft things to add this year. New gift card holders, some of the paperclip bookmark sets, and I am trying to decide on a wrapper/stand to put these nice hand creams I got at discount from Sally Beauty (my daughter works there and they get their discount on top of clearance items).

I have been steadily making glass magnets also which are a big staple for me at shows. I have run out of some of my small size and the supplier has them on backorder for 6-8 weeks so I think I am hooped on getting any more of those done. Anyone know where to get the 20mm size of the marble type gems that are clear? They are all over the place (Michaels, etc) with a lustre finish but I use only the clear ones and cannot find them anywhere online or in stores.

You got me hooked on those glass magnets. So easy to do and they sold very well. but I had sooooo many, I still have some left over. My daughter took them all for teacher gifts, sold some at a rummage sale. I first just used pretty designer papers, punched out and trimmed a bit to fit, after I glued them down to the glass. Then I bought some images and used them. I also used the small 1x1 tiles that home improvement stores sell. Modge podged images or papers to the top of those. Those were a hit too. Magnets are easy to do, cheap to do, and sell really well. and they are fun to display - I didn't bag mine up like you do, I had them all out individually on trays that were sitting on the table with table top picture frame holders (those triangle looking things). Kids really liked picking out their faves for gifts, adults too. I thank you for the idea!

MY GALLERY

Last edited by mrussom; 09-18-2019 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: need to add something
Doris B, DianeCraft and cookie1031 like this post.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:46 AM   #7773
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussom View Post
You got me hooked on those glass magnets. So easy to do and they sold very well. but I had sooooo many, I still have some left over. My daughter took them all for teacher gifts, sold some at a rummage sale. I first just used pretty designer papers, punched out and trimmed a bit to fit, after I glued them down to the glass. Then I bought some images and used them. I also used the small 1x1 tiles that home improvement stores sell. Modge podged images or papers to the top of those. Those were a hit too. Magnets are easy to do, cheap to do, and sell really well. and they are fun to display - I didn't bag mine up like you do, I had them all out individually on trays that were sitting on the table with table top picture frame holders (those triangle looking things). Kids really liked picking out their faves for gifts, adults too. I thank you for the idea!

Do you mind sharing how much you charge for the individual magnets? I've thought about doing these but not sure what to charge? Would they be a good dollar item? Thanks for your help.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:43 PM   #7774
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie1031 View Post
Do you mind sharing how much you charge for the individual magnets? I've thought about doing these but not sure what to charge? Would they be a good dollar item? Thanks for your help.

It really depends on the glass and magnet cost. I have several types/sizes.
or the large (1 - 1.5") pebble magnets which has the glass you get in bags from floral area, you should be able to get away with $1-$2 if you use ceramic (black) magnets. I use the neodymium (silver) extra strong magnets which cost more so I actually charge $3-$4 for those ones.

I also buy jewelry pendant glass for some of my larger fancy magnets and I charge $5 each for those. They are crystal clear glass in 1.5" size.

Hope that helps.
cookie1031 likes this post.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:46 AM   #7775
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks, Diane! That does help. Hope to make some of these for my craft show this year.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:55 AM   #7776
FiP
Kookie Creator

Well the market I attended was advertised as Handmade, so I had high hopes. I should have realised by the low fee that it was unlikely to attract customers ready to spend! I did not do very well (stuck in a shed and the cold windy day didn't help - breeze still snuck in on us). Anyway, I know not to do there again. At the end of November, I'm attending a higher quality market for Handmade items, which I've been to before, so fingers crossed. I still have no time or inclination (or actual need) to make more things, which is probably good, as I have to pack up and empty my craft room for renovating.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:43 AM   #7777
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I think that anytime deep in the fall you have the people who are seriously looking for the holidays and I have my fingers crossed your next show will be just the thing.

My Blog
Old 09-21-2019, 02:33 PM   #7778
FiP
Kookie Creator

Thanks Stacy. Although it is spring here, people do start buying Christmas gifts and cards and I'm confident it will go better than the last. Last night I requested information on a local church advertising for a market, so that might be a possibility too.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:56 AM   #7779
Stampin' Fool

I had a show yesterday which I attended for the first time. It was a local fall fair and had tons of people but sales were still low. I didn't lose money but didn't make much either. lol. Other vendors who had been before said there were more people attending but less sales. Could be just a bad year.
I sold only 3 types of my items and brought about 10 different things. Only sold magnets and kids bottlecap necklaces and button rings. I guess that's the audience for a fair, rather than a craft show?
I rarely do shows this early but thought I would give it a try.

Next show is in November for me so I will be working on christmas stuff now. I have opted to try some different venues this year and am a bit anxious about that.. but optimistic.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #7780
FiP
Kookie Creator

I did about a dozen rings using some old buttons I'd recently been given. Attracted a lot of interest, esp with kids. Only sold 1 @ $1...
Old 09-23-2019, 05:56 AM   #7781
Stampin' Fool

Button rings are tricky because of the glossy surfaces you are trying to unite. They break easily. I have found a glaze is the best glue .. even better than e-6000. Kids do love them though - boys and girls alike.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:48 AM   #7782
Kookie Creator

Diane, I don't know what "glaze" means as a glue. Could you tell me what you use that works best? I don't want to make something that will come apart and I've not tried to attach them in any way other than sewing, but this sounds like a possibility. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:27 PM   #7783
Stampin' Fool

The glaze I use as glue for glossy surfaces is called Crystal Lacquer by Sakura
http://www.sakuracraft.com/shop/3D-C...uer--Clear.htm

It will get stuck in the nozzle so I use a paperclip to stick in the nozzle while I am using it, then clean the tip before closing for storage. If it gets really gunked up, you can run the nozzle under running water to clean.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:45 PM   #7784
FiP
Kookie Creator

I thought Crystal Lacquer was the same as Glossy Accents. I have used GA previously on rings, but this time, I believe I used gel medium.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:45 PM   #7785
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiP View Post
I thought Crystal Lacquer was the same as Glossy Accents. I have used GA previously on rings, but this time, I believe I used gel medium.

I think they are all very similar formulations. I call it a glaze

How did the gel medium hold up? The real test for me is dropping them on a concrete floor like in a stadium type venue. lol
That's how I learned my first ones were too weak to sell.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:10 PM   #7786
FiP
Kookie Creator

Diane, I didn't try to wrench them apart, but I figure for a dollar, people shouldn't expect too much. I think most products would pull apart given some effort...
Old 09-26-2019, 09:47 PM   #7787
Stampin' Fool

If anyone is doing the Hershey nugget packs this year, Costco has them on sale for $8.99 for the 52oz bag (145pcs).
I don't usually do these but am going to try some this year
Old 09-27-2019, 05:36 AM   #7788
Kookie Creator

Thanks you, Diane and FIP for your replies. I have Crystal Effects already so I will try that before buying a new product. I appreciate the info because I may need to buy the glaze sooner or later.

I am going to try a new, very small venue this year as well as the one I've been doing for years. The new one will have lots of traffic, but crafts will not be the main attraction. The handful of vendors are to "entertain" the people before a bulb (flower) conference and just after the sale of bulbs. It was only $25 per space and I think it is worth it just to showcase my paper crafts and invite them to the November bazaar that I normally do. I will not have any Christmas items for sale at it, only Halloween and fall, but I may take a couple of sample items from last year. I will only have one 6-8 foot table, so I'm not making a lot of items. The bonus is that I can use all of the fall items left at the November sale. The candy in my Halloween items can be used also and the package saved for another year. Most of my things "slip out" of the decorated package.
Good luck to everyone on your sales! The season is upon us!
Old 09-27-2019, 06:41 AM   #7789
Rubber Obsessor

Hey everyone!

Diane, thanks for Costco Nugget tip - that is a great price!!!

Quick question for everyone - I am thinking about doing microwave popcorn like I do the Hershey Candy Bars, with the fleece hat and scarf. It seems like I've seen people doing them on here before. If you've done them, how did they sell? How much did you sell them for?

I have been doing the Hershey bars for a while but was thinking of something different?

Thanks all - happy crafting!

~Tammy
Old 09-27-2019, 07:47 AM   #7790
Rubber Obsessor

I've done the microwave popcorn (Costco) snowmen w/fleece for a few years. Didn't do them last year, however, I'm doing them again this year. They've always been a great seller for me & I usually sell out by the second morning of my two day show. In the past I've sold them for $3 & may up the price this year. I'd love to charge more, but I'm in a small rural town in North Central AZ.
AZKitchencreations likes this post.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:57 AM   #7791
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
I've done the microwave popcorn (Costco) snowmen w/fleece for a few years. Didn't do them last year, however, I'm doing them again this year. They've always been a great seller for me & I usually sell out by the second morning of my two day show. In the past I've sold them for $3 & may up the price this year. I'd love to charge more, but I'm in a small rural town in North Central AZ.

Thanks so much for the info! I live in Tucson and with the wages here being lower, I know I could not get more than that for them!

I had to laugh the other day as I was watching a youtube craft gal go on and on about how she prices items - she charges unbelievably high prices "because she knows her worth". Well, I know my worth and it is not based on my crafts! It is a hot topic, pricing, but I think the biggest factor is to know your audience/location and what the market will bear. If I can't make something for a profit or it is too time consuming, I simply don't make it for craft fairs. I may make it for personal gifts.

Sorry to get off on a rant, that woman on that youtube channel really was offensive!

Anywho, happy crafting to all! ~Tammy
shebarie and cookie1031 like this post.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:17 PM   #7792
Rubber Obsessor

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKitchencreations View Post
Thanks so much for the info! I live in Tucson and with the wages here being lower, I know I could not get more than that for them!

I had to laugh the other day as I was watching a youtube craft gal go on and on about how she prices items - she charges unbelievably high prices "because she knows her worth". Well, I know my worth and it is not based on my crafts! It is a hot topic, pricing, but I think the biggest factor is to know your audience/location and what the market will bear. If I can't make something for a profit or it is too time consuming, I simply don't make it for craft fairs. I may make it for personal gifts.

Sorry to get off on a rant, that woman on that youtube channel really was offensive!

Anywho, happy crafting to all! ~Tammy

Lol, I feel the same way. I'm in Chino Valley and it's the same way here. I think it's great if people can get a better price for their crafts than I do. However, I do this as a hobby & a little profit. I would like to sell in the bigger markets but that pretty much means traveling to Phx. I love to do the Christmas craft fairs here so I set my prices at what I'm pretty sure is going to sell.

I love reading your posts, Tammy! You're always on top of things!
AZKitchencreations likes this post.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:54 PM   #7793
FiP
Kookie Creator

Tammy, I think I may have seen the YouTuber 'who knows her worth'. Beautiful items made with more effort than I put in, but I know there's no way I could charge anything like what she asks. My jaw hit the floor over the price of the first item I saw her make. Best wishes to those in areas where people pay top dollar, I just know I'm out to cover my cost of materials, not my time.
GRKIDDO and AZKitchencreations like this post.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:52 PM   #7794
Kookie Creator

Fellow Crafters, I, too have seen the you tube lady that values her items according to her worth. I think time is valuable, but crafting is my hobby and I am delighted to use my time to make others happy by purchasing my paper items at a price they can afford. I have made the popcorn snowmen as well, but I use a pair of gloves (stuffed one inside the other) instead of fleece for the hat. I buy the gloves each year on clearance after Christmas, so they are usually 50 cents per pair or less. I sold them for $3.50 last year and sold 11 of the 12 I made. I made a note for this year to use more "girly" colors in the future. I think I may use cocoa packages this year instead of popcorn. I have done the Hershey bar snowmen many times, but I am letting them have a winter break this year! Nearly everything I offer has Hershey candy of some sort in it. By the way, our W-mart has the 6 pack of Hershey bars marked at $2. They have it in the food section with candy, but NOT with the Halloween candy. The shelf sticker says $2. There is also another section of the same candy nearby that is $3.50 I think. Just worth a look. I bought several packs and it rang up correctly and the date is good well into 2020.
GRKIDDO and AZKitchencreations like this post.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:46 AM   #7795
Pearl-ExPert

Have you all noticed that when it comes to chocolate in particular what a long expiration date it has.
Many years ago I purchased a bag of Ghiradelli (sp) chocolates at one of the stores like JT Max. Or Burlington Coat, and it was nearly a year before expiry.
Yesterday I was at the dollar store and picked up several 3 per pack Ferrero Rocher at $1 per package expiry is May 2020,

I learned after my first experience to check date on any chocolate, you can pick up good deals. The packages of Lindt however was only until next month.
DianeCraft likes this post.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:33 PM   #7796
Stampin' Fool

I make the popcorn snowmen every year. I skipped the Hershey ones last year and am going to again this year but the popcorn are hot sellers. I made 40 last year which is less than usual and they sold out at my second show. I am doing 80 this year. Seniors especially love to buy them because they can be mailed easily and given to other seniors who don't really need any more "stuff".
They have a very good mark-up too. I have sold them for $4 each but usually do the $3 pricing. I use the fleece hats glued on.
I tried the gloves 2 years ago on Hershey bars and popcorn and they just didn't sell in my area. I donated a ton to the local Salvation Army Christmas drive. I do that with all my perishables, so kids can get cute goodies.

Anyhow, my point is - definitely try the popcorn! You just have to re-size the face and depending on size of the popcorn pack you buy, you can print 2 to a page or 1 to a page and cut scraps off.
I use the Pop Weaver brand from Walmart. They are shorter and fatter so I can fit 2 per one 8 1/2 x 11 white cardstock piece.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:13 AM   #7797
Inking Addict

Question

Quote:

I haven't seen microwave popcorn snowmen. Are these already popped snowman? Or are you decorating the unpoppped microwave packages as snowman. I would love to see pictures of these snowmen, especially with hats!

Thanks so much!
Colleen
Old 09-30-2019, 11:27 AM   #7798
Rubber Obsessor

These are decorated unpopped microwave popcorn. I always do the fleece hats also as Diane described above. I can't believe I can't find any of my craft show pictures. When I get some made up I'll share some photos. Maybe someone else has pics of their's that they can share?
Old 09-30-2019, 03:25 PM   #7799
Matboard Maniac

A quick search on Pinterest, using the phrase "microwave popcorn snowman" will lead you to several pictures.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:18 PM   #7800
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove13 View Post
I haven't seen microwave popcorn snowmen. Are these already popped snowman? Or are you decorating the unpoppped microwave packages as snowman. I would love to see pictures of these snowmen, especially with hats!

Thanks so much!
Colleen

Unpopped flat microwave popcorn packs. They look exactly like the hershey snowman but bigger (and you need to use more fleece )