Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #7721
Stampin' Fool

I have been so unmotivated so far this year. I am behind on getting started on building up inventory for the fall. I need to get my butt in gear!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-18-2019, 06:15 AM   #7722
Pearl-ExPert

Once your mojo kicks in Diane, it will be full steam ahead. Guess you are just waiting for inspiration to Hit with new ideas.Why not start on the smaller things that have been consistently good sellers....sort of no brainer items lol
Then once you kick into high gear you will already have these in your stash.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:42 AM   #7723
Pearl-ExPert

MY GALLERY
cookie1031 likes this post.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:43 AM   #7724
Pearl-ExPert

I saw the above tradeshow table cover on a facebook feed and thought it was kind of cool. The responses under it said that they had these on Amazon for about $15 - I don't know if its the exact one. Anything with a logo put on it was pricey. But plain not so bad. Might fit tables better, look nice, etc.

MY GALLERY
Old 05-24-2019, 08:52 AM   #7725
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
Funny that you say that. We had that exact thing happen this year with one of my most popular fairs. Earlier in the year, they sent our cheque back and basically told us the organizing staff left and nobody wanted to take it on.
It's a high school who has been running it for over 20 years and brings in about $20,000 for the school.
Customers and vendors alike were very upset. It screwed up my whole schedule and decreased my expected sales too.
Mostly I feel bad for the kids though.

One of our bigger churches in our area stopped doing their sale (for a while at least) because they could not find anyone to run it. And I can understand why. I was at a different fair with people who had used that other church for craft fair. And they were just 'bitches'! They were laughing how they yelled at the people putting on the fair, made one cry, just made their life miserable. That other church had bake sale items and they had a note in their vendor contract that you could not sell food type items. Well most of my stuff is candy so I could not have done the fair, and these cranky ladies sell a lot of the sale things I sell. They were told to remove their candy/food items and they threw a fit and refused. Or removed and put them back on the table when the people running the event left the room. It was just too much for them with all of the meanness from people. I was just shocked that they thought it was so funny and that they 'won'. I'm not a big fan of these ladies anyway (they blatantly steal ideas from me - and no they aren't my ideas but they come back the next year with the EXACT things that I do and undercut me a bit). But I told them I thought they were out of line, they signed the contract saying no food, so no food. If you don't like it, don't do your sales there. Plenty of other places to go.

MY GALLERY
Old 05-24-2019, 08:55 AM   #7726
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnewithane View Post
I also only do the one craft fair. It is handcrafted only.
I was sad that none of my mini purses with candy sold. But, I guess they’re too small for a teacher gift. They’re more like table favors, so I might try a sign with that for next year. My DD is a school counselor at a middle school, and wanted a little something for all of the teachers she interacts with. So, she took 30 of the purses, and I made 10 little bags for the men. That leaves about 20 purses to empty candy out of.
I feel like the craft fair I do, people are looking for something more substantial. People who make Woodcrafts for your front lawn do well. So do some of the jewelry makers.
I had some achristmas mugs in my stash, so I filled them with a single blueberry muffin mix, a novelty hot chocolate package, and a candy cane. Then I put them in a snowman clear bag, tied up with ribbon, and a handmade sentiment tag, as well as a To/From tag. Honestly, I don’t consider that handmade. But, I sold all but one of them.
Now I have a dilemma of making them again next year, or not.

I love those little purses and have done them for my sale, but I put a little chapstick type thing in there - Avon always has some for reduced price so I get them from them if I can. I don't sell for much, less than $3.00 if I remember right, but they usually sell. I don't make a ton, maybe 15 or so. I think they are super cute though. I'd buy them if I was shopping!

MY GALLERY
Old 05-26-2019, 07:56 AM   #7727
Pearl-ExPert

Default Craft sellers ideas and discussions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussom View Post
One of our bigger churches in our area stopped doing their sale (for a while at least) because they could not find anyone to run it. And I can understand why. I was at a different fair with people who had used that other church for craft fair. And they were just 'bitches'! They were laughing how they yelled at the people putting on the fair, made one cry, just made their life miserable. That other church had bake sale items and they had a note in their vendor contract that you could not sell food type items. Well most of my stuff is candy so I could not have done the fair, and these cranky ladies sell a lot of the sale things I sell. They were told to remove their candy/food items and they threw a fit and refused. Or removed and put them back on the table when the people running the event left the room. It was just too much for them with all of the meanness from people. I was just shocked that they thought it was so funny and that they 'won'. I'm not a big fan of these ladies anyway (they blatantly steal ideas from me - and no they aren't my ideas but they come back the next year with the EXACT things that I do and undercut me a bit). But I told them I thought they were out of line, they signed the contract saying no food, so no food. If you don't like it, don't do your sales there. Plenty of other places to go.

Sorry to hear this, but have to say in my experience not surprising as I have see this scenario myself.
I-have had people copy or try to copy my items in the past. This is easier for someone to copy if there is already instructions online easy to follow just a few minor adjustments and the copy cats think that’s okay. I don’t agree that’ll imitation is the greatest form of flattery. I say copy cats are lazy when they deliberately set out to copy because plain and simple..THEY are jealous.
This is not the case of two people showing up seeing something new online and both show up with similar items the first time idea came up on Pinterest for example
Here are things I have done in the past and have been successful. I started coming up with just my own original (really) ideas and Some vendors would ask where I got the pattern lol. Iknow that’s easier said sometimes than done, but my biggest sellers were just that......because it was not available for people to see online.
If I came out with something really different,I would make a ton like 50 or more and would go to a couple of craft sales and flood the market so to speak and be the first one with this item. If it was quick to make up maybe 100.this would be only I year. So next year copycats do not have as big a market and and I would have something new each year to add to my table for returning clients.I was told many times by buyers that they liked my items because they were different from a lot of other vendors. Even if working in the same medium. Some vendors will also keep selling same thing year after year without any variation and I believe that will only take you so far.

It’s hard to stay ahead of the pack especially when dealing with people like that, so you have to beat them at their own game. It’s also hard being across from someone who is not selling, and people are lined up at your table money in hand. Sometimes it is the case of their items not being as well made or materials being used. Whatever the case don’t let them drive you out because they want your sales.
I will say once I moved up to our Christmas Convention crafter seemed to respect each others hard work and you did not see this happening. Well only once when someone I knew copied another successful vendors product......talk of suing occurred, but the copycat had a father who was a lawyer and was able to advise her how to change her item enough so she was able to prevail.....it was nasty.

I agree you should not let there ladies push you out.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:56 PM   #7728
Rubber Obsessor

Hey crafters, I need help!

I am making clothespins with the magnets on the back but I am having trouble with the magnet strip sticking.

I have peeled the adhesive strip off and have tried E6000, hot glue, both do not stay. The glue sticks to the clothespin but seems to resist the magnet?

I then tried using tear and tape, I put some on the clothespin, then some on the magnet strip then stuck them together. They are holding better, but still, some are coming up, others are stuck?

Aaagrh!!! I made these last year, same clothespins, same magnet strips and the hot glue worked fine, so I am befuddled?

Anyone have any experience. The clothespins are painted one's that I got at Michael's and Joanne's.

Thanks, Tammy
Old 05-29-2019, 05:48 AM   #7729
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKitchencreations View Post
Hey crafters, I need help!

I am making clothespins with the magnets on the back but I am having trouble with the magnet strip sticking.

I have peeled the adhesive strip off and have tried E6000, hot glue, both do not stay. The glue sticks to the clothespin but seems to resist the magnet?

I then tried using tear and tape, I put some on the clothespin, then some on the magnet strip then stuck them together. They are holding better, but still, some are coming up, others are stuck?

Aaagrh!!! I made these last year, same clothespins, same magnet strips and the hot glue worked fine, so I am befuddled?

Anyone have any experience. The clothespins are painted one's that I got at Michael's and Joanne's.

Thanks, Tammy

Is the magnet strip the kind that comes all wound up in a circle? Not flat?? I had trouble with the circle kind, just wanted to stay a circle! So I cut little pieces out instead of using a long piece for the magnet. Then it worked. Try smaller pieces instead of one long piece?

MY GALLERY
Old 06-02-2019, 07:51 AM   #7730
Pearl-ExPert

FIP how did your boot sale go?
Old 06-02-2019, 01:05 PM   #7731
FiP
Kookie Creator

I didn't go, as I'd caught a cold in the previous week. They're planning another one for September, and then I won't feel odd about taking xmas cards! Thank you for asking!
DianeCraft likes this post.