Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #7681
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada goose View Post
okay ladies I need your input ....please.
I am down south for our usual 3 months and belong to a card group where I also teach(share) my card ideas.

They are going to have another craft sale in our gated community which is open to the public in conjunction to their annual Patio Sale. A patio sale I s where you can set up your wares in your driveway carport or whatever.
Last year was the first time to have craft sale in clubhouse as well.

If I were at home I would not have a problem with my decision but here I have a delima.
I thought because a lot of seniors in the gated community that Sympathy andBirthday cards were obvious. However my love is making little treats with candy and chocolate.
My thought was to make 3 types of unique treat holders. Two holding chocolate and 1 candy. One would be tiny takeout, second small SU coffee cafe coffee box with coffee Carmels inside and the third a triangle shaped box.
So my question is how to determine price.....by amount of chocolate inside or amt of work for each item. Coffee box most work but least amt of fill.
I have not seen any candy treats at the two sales I visited last year. This sale will be held 3 weeks before we drive home to Canada. In the back of my mind is hauling back a bunch of treats in April. Maybe I should just forget participating or just make a few of each to test the waters.
Thanks so much ladies, I hope with all the combined experience here I will be well advised. Incidentally I am in Arizona sot that might be helpful to know.thank you as well for taking time to read this.

Oh, I think if it is fun for you to make the holders and participate in the craft sale, go ahead and give it a try! I don't know what the 3 treat holders look like, but if they are very similar in size I would guess keep it simple for the shoppers and price them all the same. If one is substantially smaller, maybe charge 50 cents to a dollar less? Have fun and keep us posted! Good luck!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-25-2019, 06:14 AM   #7682
Kookie Creator

Canada Goose,

Perhaps consider making some Easter themed treats since Easter is so late this year. Surely these seniors have lots of grandchildren or little friends they could surprise with fun treats. I have made simple treats for nursing home patients and they loved them. Cute little treats are fun for all ages. Since you will be indoors and the purchased items will also be kept indoors, the candy will keep just fine. Most chocolate candy has an expiration date and lots of it is a full year. Another fun idea might be the birthday tea light candle that looks like a birthday cake. They could give those all year long and would be especially cute with a matching card/gift card holder. Good luck!
Old 01-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #7683
Mad Swapper

Thanks ladies. I am aware that some areas here are not conducive to candy treats, and wondered if anyone from Az has had experience with this type of treat at sales.

After years of reading this forum, one can see a definite pattern in that different areas respond to different items, which of course also depends on time of year Christmas being the best time for sales.

I do not plan to make a large inventory as there is another( friend) cardmaker with completely different technique selling next to me as well and not the same categories that I plan to make.

There are many price points posted previously here for Example (nugget treats) which I do not plan on making, which is why it is tricky trying to price something out of your own area where you are confident in what you can sell.
I am thinking of concentrating perhaps on the cards which I feel more confident about after seeing what has been sold at sales in this area.As tothe treats perhaps a doz of each to see how they go over.
Hopefully,because I have not seen the type of packaging I am planning on using that will help promote sales, and attract those that like good chocolate.
cookie1031 likes this post.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:15 PM   #7684
Rubber Obsessor

Hey, just now getting to chime in on this - I live in Tucson AZ and do great with candy treats during Oct/Nov/Dec but haven't tried a spring show. Not sure where in AZ you are, but down here, it's usually pretty warm here by March, 80's and 90's. I agree with the person who suggested Easter treats or maybe even Mother's day, or graduation? I tend to shoot for around $1 to $2 for treats and sell a ton.

I haven't had time to get on here since the fall shows - had my best year ever, selling over $6000 total from the 3 shows I do! I was delighted as my regular job (contract work) has been slow.

Anywho, I'd try the shows and see how it goes, not making a ton. You could always take special orders if people really wanted them? Just my 2 cents!

~Tammy
cookie1031 likes this post.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:48 PM   #7685
Mad Swapper

Default Craft sale Best sellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKitchencreations View Post
Hey, just now getting to chime in on this - I live in Tucson AZ and do great with candy treats during Oct/Nov/Dec but haven't tried a spring show. Not sure where in AZ you are, but down here, it's usually pretty warm here by March, 80's and 90's. I agree with the person who suggested Easter treats or maybe even Mother's day, or graduation? I tend to shoot for around $1 to $2 for treats and sell a ton.

I haven't had time to get on here since the fall shows - had my best year ever, selling over $6000 total from the 3 shows I do! I was delighted as my regular job (contract work) has been slow.

Anywho, I'd try the shows and see how it goes, not making a ton. You could always take special orders if people really wanted them? Just my 2 cents!

~Tammy

so, we are leaving two weeks after the show which is still 3 weeks before Easter. If we were staying longer Easter treats would be a consideration,or if Easter was a week later I would have considered that as my first option.

in the 14 Years we have been here in Mesa, I know you can’t tell one year from another. Call me crazy but I keep those little weather charts from the paper, and it did not hit 90 at all here last year in March and only a Half dozen days in the 80’s. Apparently it did so the following week.Your suggestions are all great but again Mothers Day and Graduation are long after we leave.so not sure people would buy chocolate two months in advance KWIM?
It’s an oddball time of year but the idea of a craft sale combined with their patio sales was held first time last year, so this is something new here. There are many snowbirds in this area who are also getting ready to hit the road which cuts down on traffic.
I would prefer to sell out of the treats as opposed to taking home,but the cards I would have no problem taking home and would have no problem selling there.

Maybe I have answered my own question.make the cards and a small amount of treats to see how they go over here this time of year. Maybe there are a lot of people here that like chocolate.😀
Old 01-26-2019, 07:06 AM   #7686
Kookie Creator

You might still consider a few Easter treats, even though it is 3 weeks after you leave. If nothing else, people will see those cute treats and realize that they won't have another chance to get them. I usually only do one craft show each year and it is early in November, 2-3 weeks before Thanksgiving and 5-6 weeks before Christmas. People do not have any problem buying my candy treats and that is almost all I do. No cards for several years now and very few things without candy, usually using battery operated tealights. I sold all of my Thanksgiving treats and nearly all of my Christmas ones this year. I agree that it is difficult to judge what people will buy, but I think that is true of every craft sale. At least you can coordinate your items with those your friend is making and not do like items. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 01-26-2019, 08:53 AM   #7687
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookskaren View Post
You might still consider a few Easter treats, even though it is 3 weeks after you leave. If nothing else, people will see those cute treats and realize that they won't have another chance to get them. I usually only do one craft show each year and it is early in November, 2-3 weeks before Thanksgiving and 5-6 weeks before Christmas. People do not have any problem buying my candy treats and that is almost all I do. No cards for several years now and very few things without candy, usually using battery operated tealights. I sold all of my Thanksgiving treats and nearly all of my Christmas ones this year. I agree that it is difficult to judge what people will buy, but I think that is true of every craft sale. At least you can coordinate your items with those your friend is making and not do like items. Good luck with whatever you decide!

your points are well taken. No problem with friends cards as they could not be more different and I am the treat maker of the group.
I will have to see what I have on hand for some “Bunny Hugs”. It is always a chore deciding what to pack for 3 month stay.

I usually look at the calendar, to see what holidays fall around time I am here then pack accordingly. Thank you.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #7688
Linking Queen

Could you make some generic treats aimed at non-snowbirds to give to their friends as a road trip treat?
Old 01-29-2019, 09:07 AM   #7689
Mad Swapper

One of the girls in my group lives here and does regular sales. She and I were discussing the upcoming sale in March. She advised me to attend a sale this weekend close by,where she and two others (from another area) would be selling their cards.
She said it would give me a good idea on how to price mine, as she thought mine were worth more than what a I thought. Still have not made a definite decision on treats.

She said treats seem to sell well at places where sales are held with no food.....that would be this one ! Food for thought😀