Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-04-2018, 09:03 PM   #7561
Stampin' Fool

Found another cute idea. If you don't own the mitten die (I don't), you can draw your own die shape or use a printable outline online.

3-D Thursday ~ Smitten Mittens Treat Holder! - Twins and Twine
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
maryp and cookie1031 like this post.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:27 PM   #7562
Mad Swapper

not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes. I made some gift card holders and wonder what is the best way to keep them closed. Here is the type of holder I am talking about:
Old 07-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #7563
Rubber Obsessor

I'm not sure what this style looks like opened up? I make and sell a ton of simple gift card holders using the envelope punch board and just adhere with my ATG, using the Scotch brand refills. I've never had a problem with it.

Some crafters like the "tear and tape" style which comes in a variety of widths. There is also the same thing in the red line style, but I find it a huge pain because you have to cut it with scissors.

Other people are big fans of the Art Glitter Glue (does not have glitter in it) and use the fine tip. I personally hate liquid glue and always avoid it! Haha!

So, this is the right place to ask - could you post what it looks like on the inside and maybe people can share their experience? ~ Tammy
Old 07-08-2018, 06:12 PM   #7564
Mad Swapper

I did not explain very well. What do you use to keep the top flap closed, the part you open up to see the gift card? Velcro, a magnet?
Old 07-08-2018, 07:12 PM   #7565
Rubber Obsessor

I did a quick search and found a very similar looking gift card holder at this site:

The Secret Life of Paper: Jolly Holiday Gift Card Holders

They used small velcro dots. You could also use magnets. The cost of either velcro or magnets will increase the cost of your materials.

I have found that in my area, people love gift card holders but don't want to pay a whole lot for them. So, I'm assuming since you are on this thread that you are planning to sell at craft fairs? Perhaps your area will pay more?

There are a million ideas for gift card holders on youtube, google images etc. There are other options if you don't want to use velcro or magnets, such as belly bands which is inexpensive as it's just paper?

Hope this helps - Tammy
Old 07-08-2018, 07:14 PM   #7566
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by edie3 View Post
not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes. I made some gift card holders and wonder what is the best way to keep them closed. Here is the type of holder I am talking about:
I make something similar..I use a TOMBOW "velcro" ... Specifically for crafting. Light-grip, and I cut TINY pieces. You just need something to keep them closed...works like a charm!
cookie1031 likes this post.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:26 PM   #7567
FiP
Kookie Creator

It might be a pain - but you could do a little slit and tuck a couple of the scalloped bits into it to hold it closed.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:45 PM   #7568
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I use velcro for this sort of thing.
If you are willing to wait a while to finish them, you can buy very low cost velcro dots. I order some things from there but be prepared to wait anywhere from 4 to 12 weeks depending on delivery style. I do this for things I know I will want/need for craft shows. Order in spring until this month to be sure it arrives in time. Most times, deliveries are faster to the US but I am in Canada so things take longer. Shipping is free though.

For example:

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 07-12-2018 at 11:15 AM..
edie3, maryp, kkccmom and 1 others like this post.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #7569
Inking Addict

Here's a link to the little tabs I use. I think they work perfectly for the gift card folders. I cut each tab into little strips -- you really don't need a huge piece -- they work great! I hope this helps someone!!

Fastener Tabs

I have a creative gene...it comes from my Father, the Author of Creativity!
maryp, cookie1031 and bzzzeee like this post.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #7570
Rubber Obsessor

These are also handy. Sometimes I've cut them in half.
VELCRO(R) brand Mini Fasteners 3/8" Dots 56/Sets-White - Walmart.com
edie3 and maryp like this post.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:15 AM   #7571
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
I use velcro for this sort of thing.
If you are willing to wait a while to finish them, you can buy very low cost velcro dots. I order some things from there but be prepared to wait anywhere from 4 to 12 weeks depending on delivery style. I do this for things I know I will want/need for craft shows. Order in spring until this month to be sure it arrives in time. Most times, deliveries are faster to the US but I am in Canada so things take longer. Shipping is free though.
Hi Diane - we removed your link. They sell counterfeit products and stolen designs from stamp companies that advertise here and are friends of all crafters so we do not support them in any way.

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store | My Online Classes
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Old 07-12-2018, 02:08 PM   #7572
Mad Swapper

thanks, I wasn't sure what velcro was the best.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:21 AM   #7573
Rubber Obsessor

Hey everyone! I just wanted to share a link to a youtube gal that has been doing a great craft fair series on youtube. She goes by Crafty Crafts by Deana. She has been doing a ton of video's! Many are paper crafts, but she also does other crafts as well, all of which she makes for her craft shows. I encourage you to check her out.

Happy Crafting! ~ Tammy

Here's a link to one of my favorite one's:

lindylou1220, jejenc, brookskaren and 2 others like this post.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:19 AM   #7574
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Easels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty*Kate View Post
I look for easels year-round at thrift stores, yard sales, or Goodwill. If Dollar Tree is no longer carrying them, you could check other discount stores such as Big Lots, Dollar General, Family Dollar, Fred's (may be a regional store), or buy them with a coupon at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. HTH!

I found and use cardboard sticky back easels for my mixed media panels. Even though they are sticky back I use a little of Aleene's tacky glue for extra adhesion. So far they are holding up just fine. I buy the multiple packs which can be found at various stores. Here are examples found at Blick Art Lineco Self-Stick Easel Backs - BLICK art materials and Amazon Amazon.com : Lineco Self Stick Easel Backs 5 in. white pack of 25 : Artists Sign Writer Paintbrushes : Office Products
Old 08-01-2018, 05:15 PM   #7575
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Quote:
I did not explain very well. What do you use to keep the top flap closed, the part you open up to see the gift card? Velcro, a magnet?

I 99.9 % of the time if it needs to be closed, I tie it closed with strings, lace or ribbons or seam binding.
( I have metric tons of that on hand though)

but, just looking at the photo,
I would package it with either a paper envelope or also inside a clear envelope (all of my cards are in clear no matter what) and I would not put anything in the flap of that magnet or velcro.

the clear packaging would keep the flaps folded.

and if you provide a paper envelope they really don't need a closure as the envelope will keep the flaps shut. kwim?

just another thought

My Blog
edie3 and maryp like this post.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #7576
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm so ahead of the game this year, it's amazing! I usually don't start anything until end of August, beginning of September but I have many items already started and two completely finished! Yay me! lol

My sometimes neglected blog
maryp and lindylou1220 like this post.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:02 AM   #7577
Matboard Maniac

Me, too, Sandra! I've had pneumonia and in order to "rest" and recuperate, I've had to be still. Seemed like a great time to work on my craft fair items. I'm not only enjoying it more while I am not rushed, but I'm able to try out a couple of new items to see how much time/material is required. Part of my plan was to get started early so I can also use up some of the materials that are "on display" all over my craft room floor and surfaces! In other words part of a clean-up plan that can't involve any heavy work until I get my lungs back to normal. Good luck!
Old 08-09-2018, 07:55 PM   #7578
Stampin' Fool

I have started some things too in trying to get out of the heat wave. I have been spending some time on Youtube getting inspired also.
Working on hot chocolate pouch covers right now.. lolIt does make it more enjoyable to spread the crafts out over time. It's easier to be creative too.
maryp and lynnewithane like this post.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:33 AM   #7579
Crimping Master

Default gift card holder

Quote:
I have used tiny sticky dots- I leave on a tiny piece of the paper backing so they can remove and stick when ready to give, I also have been using velcro. Joanns has it in the notions dept. tiny little flat dots- or from the scrapbook section they are in long ovals, and I cut into the size pieces I need. I will tell you if using velcro- after to stick it on and pinch, hold right next to the velcro and open gently then close gently so when they go to open it, it wont rip.
maryp likes this post.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:39 AM   #7580
Crimping Master

Just wondering if anyone has seen a pattern or design for a santa candy bar wrapper. I've been doing the snowman for years now, and wanted to add something different. I have a TON of red fleece to make hats so I thought santa would be cute. I need to make about 500 of them so I dont want something to detailed...kind of thinking a santa face to print like the snowman?
Old 08-16-2018, 06:17 AM   #7581
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Your gift card holders are adorable! If you are worried about the paper tearing with velcro, the scalloped piece would work great on a belly band! Your recipient would then just slide off the belly band to open the gift card. Good luck!
maryp likes this post.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:23 AM   #7582
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkccmom View Post
Here's a link to the little tabs I use. I think they work perfectly for the gift card folders. I cut each tab into little strips -- you really don't need a huge piece -- they work great! I hope this helps someone!!

Fastener Tabs

Wow, those look just right for paper crafts! Thanks for sharing the link!
maryp likes this post.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:42 PM   #7583
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsrlb View Post
Just wondering if anyone has seen a pattern or design for a santa candy bar wrapper. I've been doing the snowman for years now, and wanted to add something different. I have a TON of red fleece to make hats so I thought santa would be cute. I need to make about 500 of them so I dont want something to detailed...kind of thinking a santa face to print like the snowman?

I have used this download before for a wrapper:
DAISIE COMPANY: digital art svg png illustrations party printables candy bar wrappers by artist Gina Jane for DAISIECOMPANY
maryp likes this post.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #7584
Rubber Obsessor

Hey everyone! I have been crazy busy making stuff for the crafts shows - my first one is in Oct. My regular jobs work schedule is very busy in the fall, so I really have to get everything ready ahead of time for all the shows.

I actually have to make items all year long in order to have enough for all 3 shows. I usually have about 3000 items - a variety.

I've crocheted the usual dishcloths, nylon scrubbies, dish towels and around the fleece blankets I sell, as well as the fun woven balls.

Since I'm still trying to use up the TON of paper I have, I've made these cute little matchbook style notepads - quick and easy!

These hot cider packets are always popular as well as the hot chocolate packets.

I made a bunch of these Sharpie's - for teachers and others.

I just learned how to make Rosettes (from Crafty Crafts by Deana) and am so happy to have a use for the ton of 2 inch strips of paper I have been saving! These are for the University of Arizona, which is located here in Tucson, AZ - always popular! Going to do Christmas one's too - sell as ornaments or package toppers.

Last year the coffee candles sold very well, so I am doing more this year as well as the cute cupcake candles!

A friend let me borrow this cute gable box die she got at Hobby Lobby, so I am going to sell "Bath Bombs" in them. Usually the "pamper/spa" products sell well, great stocking stuffers or coworker gifts!

I'll post more when I have time - Happy Crafting! ~ Tammy
maryp and JBgreendawn like this post.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #7585
Rubber Obsessor

I"m also trying these Recipe Keepers (idea from LyricLover810 on youtube), trying to use up that ton of scrapbook paper I have!

This is the front

This is the inside front cover

This is the inside of the book - using different patterned scrapbook paper and recipe cards.

This is the back inside cover

This is the back

I've also made regular (not Christmas ones). I've had a great response from my friends I've shown them to. I have a wonderful group of friends who are my "tester" people, who give me price ideas, suggestions, honest feedback, etc. They are such a blessing to me!

Happy crafting! ~ Tammy
maryp, brookskaren and JBgreendawn like this post.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #7586
Rubber Obsessor

I can't remember if I showed you all these? I'm trying these clothespin magnet sets - Snoopy items usually sell well for me, as do anything "Arizona" like, we live in Cactus country! ~ Tammy

maryp, JBgreendawn, Beadee and 2 others like this post.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:05 PM   #7587
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile

Good job! You have a nice variety. Thanks for sharing.
maryp likes this post.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:57 AM   #7588
Gabfest Goddess

Wow, Tammy, you have been busy! Your array of items always amaze me!
I’d be interested in the price points you decided on for each of your items.
maryp likes this post.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:46 PM   #7589
Stampin' Fool

Love your stuff Tammy! Are the candles in again at Dollar Tree? I have been watching for them but haven't seen them yet.
I did snag some vanilla mini jar candles on for 50 cents a couple weeks ago. Not as cute as the coffee treats but I may try to come up with a cute lid of some kind... not sure yet. Just couldn't pass on the price. They are 20 hr candles.

I am mid-project for many of my items but actually finished these off last night. Just using up some leftover sanitizers bottles from last year. These have not typically sold well in my area so I repackaged very simply and plan to sell pretty cheap just to recoup my costs and get rid of them.
maryp likes this post.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:55 PM   #7590
Rubber Obsessor

Hey Lynne, I meant to put the prices, but forgot. If I'm introducing a new item, I will start out higher, so that I can lower it if I need to. I am going with the following prices for items pictured:

Crocheted woven balls - $4

Matchbook Notepads $2 (very inexpensive to make)

Cider and Hot chocolate packets $1 ( I got a great deal on both the cider and hot chocolate packets. I normally sell these for $1.50 each)

Sharpies $2.50 ( I got a great deal on the sharpies, so I can go down if I need to)

Rosette Ornaments - two different sizes, probably $3-$5 (still deciding, friends suggested those prices, inexpensive to make, just paper)

Candles - $4 (Coffee one's sold like hotcakes last year)

Bath Bombs - $2 (bath bombs from Dollar tree)

Recipe Keepers - Probably $6 or $6.50

Magnet Clothespins - $4 each

~Tammy
maryp likes this post.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:59 PM   #7591
Rubber Obsessor

Diane,
Yes, the coffee and cupcake candles are from the Dollar Tree. I've been collecting them all year, as I've found them. Last time I looked, the lemon cupcake ones were available in a case (24 I think) from Dollartree.com. They all smell wonderful and are a great deal.

I'm also getting rid of bits and pieces of items left over - I'm trying "grab bags" for the first time. I am just tired of hauling the stuff around and storing it, so I just want to get rid of it! Haha! ~ Tammy
maryp likes this post.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:17 PM   #7592
Gabfest Goddess

Thank you, Tammy.
Totally understand not wanting to store things anymore.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:32 PM   #7593
Stampin' Fool

Have a question for my crafty friends. I saw these on Pinterest and want to try to make them. Does anyone know how? I can't seem to find a tutorial.
I think it might be acrylic or oil paint as background color and the (oil?) paint on tiles maybe using paint pens. Or a nozzle on top of paint bottle. And perhaps some kind of glaze on top? Not sure.
I think I can manage the lettering styles but just want to see how they are made.
Anyone have input?
Thanks
Old 09-17-2018, 06:15 PM   #7594
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Found another cute idea. If you don't own the mitten die (I don't), you can draw your own die shape or use a printable outline online.

3-D Thursday ~ Smitten Mittens Treat Holder! - Twins and Twine

Need to be aware that as shown, the box is 1 and 1/4" square...which fits the mitten die fine....but very few things can be placed in it.....I went to our local teacher resource center and found a larger mitten that will work for a box between 3 and 4 inches square......and since I don't have to pay anything to use the center I will cut some paper and do it there.....seems a good size....there are Sizzix dies out there that same size but why buy if I can use someone's elses?

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

maryp and JBgreendawn like this post.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:35 PM   #7595
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Have a question for my crafty friends. I saw these on Pinterest and want to try to make them. Does anyone know how? I can't seem to find a tutorial.
I think it might be acrylic or oil paint as background color and the (oil?) paint on tiles maybe using paint pens. Or a nozzle on top of paint bottle. And perhaps some kind of glaze on top? Not sure.
I think I can manage the lettering styles but just want to see how they are made.
Anyone have input?
Thanks
I've tilted my head to figure out what they are, but I still don't know.
maryp, jejenc and AZKitchencreations like this post.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:54 PM   #7596
Rubber Obsessor

Haha - glad to know I'm not the only one! Are they those glass blocks?

Diane, sorry, I haven't a clue! ~ Tammy
Old 09-19-2018, 03:41 PM   #7597
Stampin' Fool

They are ceramic tiles painted with words and turned in to magnets. In the photo, they are in sets on a stand.
I don't know why the image tilts to the side when I load it!! Let me try again as an attachment
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
maryp, jejenc, cookie1031 and 1 others like this post.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:45 PM   #7598
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you for updating image and explaining what they are.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #7599
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
They are ceramic tiles painted with words and turned in to magnets. In the photo, they are in sets on a stand.
I don't know why the image tilts to the side when I load it!! Let me try again as an attachment

Might be similar to this?

DIY Painted Ceramic Tile Tutorial - Positively Splendid {Crafts, Sewing, Recipes and Home Decor}
maryp likes this post.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #7600
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie1031 View Post

Thanks. It's a starting point for which paint could be used