Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 06-20-2017, 02:43 AM   #7241
Glitter Guru

I was making more clothespin magnets and I help a friend out at his farm store, so I decided to go with sunflowers and strawberries! The sunflower clothesline I dyed with food coloring and the strawberry ones I found at Michaels already decorated.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 07-07-2017, 06:16 PM   #7242
Rubber Obsessor

To tag or not to tag? I have some items that I would typically add a stamped for you or a Christmas greeting. But, these aren't selling for me. Should I package things up without tags, just a gift? Should I make tags and let folks pick one?
I also made boxes, added ribbon, for 2 ounce hand sanitizer and am wondering what price to put on them. $2.00 seems like too little but I don't know how high I can go.
Unread 07-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #7243
Inking Addict

Do you have pictures of items? How much were the hand sanitizers?
Unread 07-14-2017, 06:17 AM   #7244
Linking Queen

I'm not sure if it was this thread but I recall someone inquiring about jumbo paper clips. While looking for something else, I came across some at Walter Drake. Haven't ordered them but they have a good rating. Here's the link:

https://www.wdrake.com/buy-jumbo-pap...t-of-10-344792
DianeCraft likes this post.
Unread 07-26-2017, 11:36 AM   #7245
Rubber Obsessor

AZkitchencreations, here's a pic link to my album. Stampin Up! Gallery: Fair Projects - Page 1 - Cards & More - Splitcoaststampers
The hand sanitizers cost either 89 or 99 cents and are the two oz size.

Sorry to not respond quickly to your offer of aid. I was nursing a sick doggie, the pom in my screen name, and he had to cross the rainbow bridge. I'm slowly getting used to crafting without my buddy next to me.
Unread 07-26-2017, 12:14 PM   #7246
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesandpom View Post
AZkitchencreations, here's a pic link to my album. Stampin Up! Gallery: Fair Projects - Page 1 - Cards & More - Splitcoaststampers

Sorry to not respond quickly to your offer of aid. I was nursing a sick doggie, the pom in my screen name, and he had to cross the rainbow bridge. I'm slowly getting used to crafting without my buddy next to me.
I'm so sorry for the loss of your companion. My heart goes out to you. Hugs!
Unread 07-26-2017, 12:16 PM   #7247
Glitter Queen

Quote:

So sorry for your loss. Just went thru the unexpected loss of our 3 yr old baby doxie mix, who became suddenly ill. He was gone in 3 days. Broke our hearts. Takes a while to heal and you'll find yourself still tearing up for a long time. Just go with it. Allow yourself to grieve. Will pray for you.
Unread 07-26-2017, 06:13 PM   #7248
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiesmama53 View Post
So sorry for your loss. Just went thru the unexpected loss of our 3 yr old baby doxie mix, who became suddenly ill. He was gone in 3 days. Broke our hearts. Takes a while to heal and you'll find yourself still tearing up for a long time. Just go with it. Allow yourself to grieve. Will pray for you.
Oh, how sad! It is so hard to lose a pet. They are part of the family! I am so sorry your little guy has crossed over the rainbow bridge. Hugs to you.
Unread 07-27-2017, 09:35 AM   #7249
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzzeee View Post
Oh, how sad! It is so hard to lose a pet. They are part of the family! I am so sorry your little guy has crossed over the rainbow bridge. Hugs to you.
Thanks so much. deeply appreciated.
Unread 08-01-2017, 03:36 PM   #7250
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via AIM to Scamper64 Send a message via Yahoo to Scamper64

So very sorry for your loss. Pets are really parts of our family and the loss of losing one is not to be underestimated.

Virtual hugs.

Quote:

Unread 08-20-2017, 04:13 AM   #7251
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKitchencreations View Post
Thanks for all the input so far! I was thinking around $2-3 for cards so it seems to go in line with several of you. I sell many other items and average around $2000 a show, so my goal of making cards (if I choose to do it) at this point is to use up the tons of paper/cardstock I have. So, I would not have much expense in materials. Another factor for me is that no one makes handmade cards at the shows I do, so I think there is an opening for them.

I plan to do what I usually do when introducing a new product - make some, see how they go and then go from there. The cards would not take nearly the amount of time as most other things I make do, so it seems like I should at least try them.

Thanks again for all your responses - love the input!
Congrats on the good craft show! Would you share some of the items you sell? TIA
Unread 08-20-2017, 09:57 AM   #7252
Inking Addict

Hi Alison,

Thank you! I am in full blown crazy craft mode right now, preparing for upcoming shows in Oct, Nov, Dec.

I have posted on here many times showing the crafts that I made, my set up etc. Forgive me for being too lazy to fiddle with that now - I'm sure you understand I think if you scroll back through the pages, you can see my postings.

In general, I sell:

Crochet Items: Household items: Crochet topped dishtowels, dishcloths, potholders, nylon scrubbies, woven balls, crochet edged fleece blankets, water bottle holders, cell phone holders

Paper Items: Greeting cards (1st time this year, I'll see how it goes), altered mini composition books, bookmarks, gift card holders (I sell TONS).

Food Items: Homemade Fudge, Drink Mixes (I sell TONS), Packaged Hot chocolate, Apple Cider, Tea, candy treat holers (M&M's, Nuggets, Kisses etc.). *For most of my food products, I package using scrapbook paper/cardstock, many are stocking stuffer type, small gifts for co workers etc.

Pet Items: Handmade Fleece dog and cat toys, pet blankets etc.

I have found great success with items that I consider "Consumable", not just edible, but items that are used and then wear out - such as the household items, pet items etc.

I work full time as well so I work on items all year long. I only do the 3 shows as they have the largest turn out in my area and I love the way they are organized. As I mentioned, I've posted a lot of pictures over the past few years of items as well as my set up. This forum is FULL of great ideas and many talented crafters. I suggest just scrolling through it as you have time. Hope this helps! Tammy
Unread 08-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #7253
Gabfest Goddess

I will confirm that it is well worth looking through for Tammy's photos. I was inspired!
maryp, buggainok and AZKitchencreations like this post.
Unread 08-20-2017, 02:46 PM   #7254
Linking Queen

Here is a link to an in-depth description plus photos that Tammy shared in yhe past. Hope it helps inspire that Tammy (and anyone wiyh upcoming shows) does well:

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...-post6806.html

And another ...

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...-post7015.html
maryp, Petu2000 and bjeans like this post.
Unread 08-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #7255
Inking Addict

Thanks so much for doing this, TeeGeeDee and thanks Lynn for the kind words!

I will try to post more pictures soon! What's everyone else working on?

Tammy
maryp and TeeGeeDee like this post.
Unread 08-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #7256
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKitchencreations View Post
Hi Alison,

Thank you! I am in full blown crazy craft mode right now, preparing for upcoming shows in Oct, Nov, Dec.

Food Items: Homemade Fudge, Drink Mixes (I sell TONS), Packaged Hot chocolate, Apple Cider, Tea, candy treat holers (M&M's, Nuggets, Kisses etc.). *For most of my food products, I package using scrapbook paper/cardstock, many are stocking stuffer type, small gifts for co workers etc.
Tammy
Hi Tammy,
I am also in craft fair mode. I did not do the work I usually do earlier this year so am feeling crunch time already.
Lots of work on my magnets lately but need to transition to some of the treat items also.

This year, I think I am adding catnip fleece toys. I don't sew, so was think of the simple knot style of toy for kitties.
As a cat owner, I am always looking for toys and can rarely find them at the shows.

Can you share more about the drink mixes you make?
I am interested in adding a simple chai tea mix to my sale items this year. I see lots of recipes on Pinterest and internet but would love feedback if you have made one.. or something similar.
Unread 08-21-2017, 08:16 PM   #7257
Inking Addict

Hey Diane,

I've sold tons of cat toys over the years. People love items for their pets! I have done simple knots made of fleece with a pinch of dry catnip in the middle, and they sold well. Then one year I found liquid catnip in a spray bottle and have been using that ever since. I make the items, put them in a ziploc bag, then heavily spray inside the bag, then squish it all around and let it sit for a long time (usually a month or so).

We've always had pets - cats and a dog. I always try my items on them

I make hot chocolate mixes and flavored coffee mixes. I sell them in individual servings. I have not tried chai tea but I would think it would sell well. I do a lot of research and see what's popular at Starbuck etc. People buy them for stocking stuffers, co worker gifts, adding them in mugs for a handmade gift etc.

There are a million recipes on line. I got some recipes online to start with but over the years I've just started making them on my own. I have friends who are always ready to "taste test" them for me

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need more specifics - Tammy
Attached Thumbnails
img_0971.jpg  
willowby and DianeCraft like this post.
Unread 08-24-2017, 09:38 AM   #7258
Matboard Maniac

I am going to be doing my first craft fair in early Nov. I just signed back up as a Demo (I was a SU! Demo in 2003 - 2010) so I have a ton of retired SU! - card fronts, paper, DSP, eyelets etc. We are a military family and know we will be moving again in the next 6-9 months - so I'm mostly looking to downsize retired inventory before our next move. I am planning on selling the card fronts (as full cards), Hershey Nuggets treat bags, Hershey Kisses Christmas trees, Christmas cards (with current and retired product), Christmas tags, maybe some journals, post it note holders, etc.... just using my stash. I would like to downsize retired paper products and be able to buy current, so when we move, I can really promote my SU! business at our new location. Hope you understand what I'm saying.
Any tips about what has sold at craft fairs that you have done? Or any tips about downsizing retired products/ paper etc ?
I am planning on pricing my items pretty reasonable since I am mostly wanting to downsize and just make something from my stash. I was thinking the cards from old cardfronts for $1 each or maybe $1.50 each or 4 for $5.
Any advice is appreciated - Thank you! Marian

I have lost 24.8 lbs since January 6th, 2007 - doing weight watchers.

I went to the SCS St. Louis / IL Stampede on April 21st!!!! wohoo! Had a great time!
Unread 08-24-2017, 12:19 PM   #7259
Embossing Fanatic

There are groups on FaceBook that sell, trade and post wants. Here is just one example.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Scrapbookbuyandsell/
Unread 08-24-2017, 01:42 PM   #7260
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsouthall View Post
I am going to be doing my first craft fair in early Nov.
I am planning on pricing my items pretty reasonable since I am mostly wanting to downsize and just make something from my stash. I was thinking the cards from old cardfronts for $1 each or maybe $1.50 each or 4 for $5.
Any advice is appreciated - Thank you! Marian
I do well by selling simple cards for $2 each. I find that unless your customer is a crafter and can appreciate the amount of time/money spent on fancy ones, people just aren't willing to spend more when they can get some at the $1 store.
Christmas tags are a great way to use up paper too.

Have a look through the years of posts on this list and you will see lots of ideas and feedback.

Good luck
Dove13 likes this post.
Unread 08-31-2017, 06:48 AM   #7261
Cardstock Collector

I am hoping my question will be seen since this seems to be an old thread. When you are the only one attending to your "table/booth" at craft fairs, what are some techniques you use to prevent theft of your handmade items? I have my Square and money protected...I'm concerned about inventory "walking off". Thanks for any help you can offer.
Unread 08-31-2017, 08:11 AM   #7262
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via AIM to Scamper64 Send a message via Yahoo to Scamper64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampndenton View Post
I am hoping my question will be seen since this seems to be an old thread. When you are the only one attending to your "table/booth" at craft fairs, what are some techniques you use to prevent theft of your handmade items? I have my Square and money protected...I'm concerned about inventory "walking off". Thanks for any help you can offer.

I have never had an issue with this. I have made "friends" with the people around me and, when I need to excuse myself to use the restroom, I ask them to keep an eye on my table. I do the same for them.
Unread 08-31-2017, 07:48 PM   #7263
Gabfest Goddess

I run a craft fair every year. We have about 100 crafters; 150 spots. It is very well attended. I'm told that we run out of parking spaces in the middle of the day.And, with all of that, no one has ever reported a theft to me (and believe me, they would tell me if it happened). Crafters can be cranky, but they do look out for each other, as Scamper64 said, and I think the crowd is there to buy crafts. Thieves are more likely to take money, so as long as you've got that covered....
Unread 08-31-2017, 09:06 PM   #7264
Stampin' Fool

I have not had anything stolen in 8 years of craft shows. That being said, I am very conscientious and make sure to put small items of higher value closer to me where I can watch them.
To avoid accidental walking off with something small in someone's hand (it happens), I provide mini shopping baskets for people to put their items in. They either hold the basket or hand me things as they go to add to the basket. This makes check-out easy also, and people seem to buy more because they are not limited to what they can hold on to.
maryp, lynnewithane, cookie1031 and 1 others like this post.
Unread 09-01-2017, 04:50 PM   #7265
Die Cut Diva

Hi there! I hope you all don't mind me butting in here.. I'm actually subscribed to this thread.. I love reading all of your ideas for craft shows.. I'd like to eventually get to a place where I could try it too.

I was wondering if any of you ever print your own mini calendars? I'm looking for something 2x3". The 3 side could be a bit bigger, but 2 is probably about the max. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
{Jeremiah 29:11}
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Unread 09-01-2017, 06:30 PM   #7266
FiP
Matboard Maniac

Have a look at the forum Downloads - Templates. There's little calendars to be printed off. Normally there's one called Cat's Calendars, but I think 2018 is not done by her yet. Appears to be another for 2018 there tho.
Unread 09-05-2017, 09:13 PM   #7267
Glitter Queen

Working on planning for my first craft fair. I am planning to do three this fall if I can get into all of the ones I want. A little overwhelming to plan! I am sure it gets easier but figuring out how much to bring in addition to what to make, planning displays and pricing feeling a bit overwhelmed.
Unread 09-05-2017, 09:30 PM   #7268
Inking Addict

First of all - Breathe! I've been doing them for 10 years now and they do get easier and you will figure out how much to make etc. Don't stress too much about your first show. My first show was a 3 day show and I sold out of almost everything the first night! It happens.

If you let us know what items you are planning to make, we can give you pricing and display ideas. Use basic items you have to display at first - baskets and displays from the dollar store or thrift stores before investing in any type of display items. Borrow a table if you have to. Some shows will rent tables for a small fee. I recommend a basic black sheet for a tablecloth at first. Black displays items well and looks professional.

I think most of us would agree that packaging is important and SIGNS! So, be encouraged. Let us know what you plan to make and I'm sure everyone on here will have lots of friendly suggestions.

Tammy
Rita_Faison and lynnewithane like this post.
Unread 09-05-2017, 11:22 PM   #7269
FiP
Matboard Maniac

As a crafter, I know what stuff is eg post it notes holders. It took a long time to realise that not everyone recognizes such things. Labels and signs for as much as possible! And price tags too. And a sample they can play with.
Unread 09-07-2017, 09:42 AM   #7270
Rubber Obsessor

Following
Unread 09-07-2017, 10:26 AM   #7271
Stampin' Fool

Finished a batch of 80 of the pop-up gift card holders this week. It is not a new design but I had not made them before so my customers will like that. They are quite cheap to make depending on papers used and most was spent in my "time". lolHere are some of the designs.
maryp, jejenc, lynnewithane and 5 others like this post.
Unread 09-07-2017, 10:29 AM   #7272
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiP View Post
As a crafter, I know what stuff is eg post it notes holders. It took a long time to realise that not everyone recognizes such things. Labels and signs for as much as possible! And price tags too. And a sample they can play with.
SOOO true! lol
When I package things like cards or gift card holders, I even put labels on the clear packaging that says what they are.
Always have a sample out they can touch and play with too.
Unread 09-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #7273
Gabfest Goddess

I'm sure it's been asked before, but how much do you charge for a gift card holder? I was thinking 2 for $1.50 (US $)
Unread 09-07-2017, 02:03 PM   #7274
Rubber Obsessor

I put my gift card holders at $1, 5 for $4. In fact, I price quite a few of my smaller items at $1 or 2 for $1. Things weren't selling at 50 or 75 cents.
Unread 09-07-2017, 05:52 PM   #7275
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
I put my gift card holders at $1, 5 for $4. In fact, I price quite a few of my smaller items at $1 or 2 for $1. Things weren't selling at 50 or 75 cents.
That's a great idea! People don't want to mess with change.
Unread 09-08-2017, 09:39 AM   #7276
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnewithane View Post
I'm sure it's been asked before, but how much do you charge for a gift card holder? I was thinking 2 for $1.50 (US $)
I charge $1 each for simple ones, however this year I will be nakong more complex ones and will cbarge more for those.

I make 300 simple ones and between all my shows for the year I may end up with 20 left over
Unread 09-08-2017, 10:36 AM   #7277
Polyshrink Goddess

Hey Wendykins.......Any chance you will share a picture or a tutorial of the Turkey lollipops here?

I am careful about what I post on the Facebook page as there is a member there that is in my town. She comes to my shows and has stolen some of my same ideas. I ont mind sharing ideas with other crafters, but I draw the line when they show up at the same craft shows that I am vendoring at selling the same items!

Anyway...
I had wanted to do the turkey lollipops for my daughter to sell last year but I couldn't find a picture of it anywhere. Then when you said about them on FB I started thinking it was perhaps you that had posted them.
Unread 09-08-2017, 11:00 AM   #7278
Polyshrink Goddess

For anyone making bookmarks Walmart has a Laminator, Scotch brand I believe, for $18. I saw them in the back to school section last night.
Unread 09-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #7279
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampndenton View Post
I have only ever had this problem once (that I know of) And believe it or not, it was an adult and I caught her in the act. My daughter had made some bracelets with the rubberbands...I cant even remember what they are called now! Something loop.....
Anyway the woman had a few in her hand and reached into her purse to get her wallet when she pulled the wallet out, the bracelets were gone. I had already been watching her because she was acting sneaky. She looked up and I was staring right into her eyes. So I said "that will be...however much...for the ones she put in your purse". She took the money out, laid it on the table and walked away without a word!

Greet EVERY person! Let them know you saw them. Not can I help you, just say Hello, Good Morning etc. Too often I see vendors reading or talking and ignoring their customers. Personally that annoys me. It takes 2 seconds to smile and say hello. Also talk to the vendors around you when you/they arent busy. Look out for each other! This seems to work for me. Good luck!
Unread 09-08-2017, 04:39 PM   #7280
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRKIDDO View Post
I am careful about what I post on the Facebook page as there is a member there that is in my town. She comes to my shows and has stolen some of my same ideas. I ont mind sharing ideas with other crafters, but I draw the line when they show up at the same craft shows that I am vendoring at selling the same items!
Oh yes. That is annoying. I am careful about posting pics of my newer items just a day or so before my shows start. I don't want to give copycats time to figure it out. I posted gift card holders here but they are pretty simple and have been around for a while.
It is sad that other crafters cannot be trusted.

I have a vendor "friend". We just talk at shows but she makes these pasta angels. I have been dying to make a version of those but I won't until she retires (which will be in next few years).
Also, if I go to a show and there are others with the same item, I usually won't even put that inventory out (if it's early enough in the season).
Although I find my things always vary somewhat from how others make things anyhow ... and I NEVER lower my price just because someone else is selling something similar for cheaper.