Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-30-2015, 07:23 AM   #5721
Kookie Creator

My cricut expression is never far from sight! I just need to remember to unplug the machine (in case of power surge with spring storms). It's my go-to for projects where a die cut is needed. I've been cutting bunny pillow boxes for favors, French fry boxes for a future showing, word expressions, frames for stencils with my air brush, snowmen and gingerbread people for the winter projects in my mind, and some other embellishments. I have purchased dies, but with my collection of cartridges, I have to search here first. I haven't taken the plunge for the Explore Air as my PC's operating system needs attention. Besides, I like cutting on the dining room table rather than in my office upstairs, hooked to a PC (no bluetooth exists here, yet, either). So many ideas to test out here, and I am so pleased that retirement permits me the time to craft, create, and go through my stash!
I want to have a box of samples for my sister to take to FL in May - her friends will check them out for possible sale at the craft fair booth for the CCW.
I just finished the "sour cream" container collection (with MMs and PB cups inside) to give to my former middle school colleagues to mark spring, Easter vacation (1 day) and to break the doldrums from a very long and disjointed school year.
Off to the table! Diane
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-30-2015, 02:49 PM   #5722
Stampin' Fool

I have a Cricut Expression but haven't used it much since I got it. My teen daughter helped me re-learn some of it last night. It was fun.
I find it harder to use creatively as I have to stop and look through each cartridge book to see what I have to decide what to make. Is there a way to print out mini thumbnails of the cartridge contents so I can put them into a binder?

Also, I heard someone say the online program is no longer available. I am not sure what it was called (Design Studio?) and how to access it if it still works.

I have a Brother ScanNCut now and find it much easier to use, but still want to make use of my few cartridges I have and my Cricut, if I can.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:56 PM   #5723
Stampin' Fool

I received my order of test tubes and am very happy with them. I bought the 16mm size and they do fit most M&Ms. I say "most" because the sizes in each package vary, so I cannot fit the larger ones in the tube. I think I will try out the reese's pieces to see if their size varies at ll.

I am planning to use some Nerds and maybe Sixlets. Any other ideas??
kspiv likes this post.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:51 PM   #5724
Linking Queen

Hershey's sells several of there candy bars in "pieces" ... I sometimes treat myself to a bag of the Almond Joy.

Not sure how economical (or uniform in size) they might be but here's a link so you can see what I'm talking about:

https://www.thehersheycompany.com/br....aspx?cat=icon
DianeCraft likes this post.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:03 PM   #5725
Stampin' Fool

I recall people asking me how I package my mini magnets when I make them in sets. I used 1/2 x 2 size metal washers and put the magnets in a circle around the washer.
I found this tutorial which is similar to what I have been doing for years, except I don't bother to hide the magnet or use so much paper, or even a topper! lol. It still works great.
Have a look at mine on my Facebook page.
Magnet Packaging - How to package magnets so they don't shift
NanaKaren likes this post.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #5726
Mad Swapper

Default Craft sale best sellers

Well I am back home to fresh air! Last two weeks in AZ an endurance with heat 98 F in the shade. Temps a month ahead of schedule, but I managed to suck it up as I knew that would not be the case at home even if all the snow was gone.

Call me crazy, but the clean cool fresh air was really nice

So while busy with unpacking etc, just thought I would post an idea and hope it is not a repeat, as I meant to post a while back.

This is in regard to things in tubes and cello bags. If you use multi coloured candy in either you can label them as "rainbow" seeds. I know St Pats day is over but the green m&m's could also be shamrock seeds or maybe leprechaun seeds.......just sayin lol.
kspiv and ciocidi like this post.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:21 PM   #5727
Stampin' Fool

Trying to sort out my Clearbags order now. It always takes me a while to sort out what sizes to buy, etc. It is fun when the order comes in though!!
I am ordering some heat seal bags this year too so I can use them with my heat seal machine.

Anyone being crafty lately?
Old 04-11-2015, 11:17 PM   #5728
FiP
Kookie Creator

I've been knocking out some simple cards this week. I've noticed some people will buy my 10 cards for $10 (pre-packaged in a clear bag, only the front & back cards can be seen); these people will rarely look thru my $2 each regular cards. It's nice to produce things relatively quick and easy, and use some patterned papers up.
I also have some gift tags which came in a kit I've had for a few years. I'm going to try making some and will try selling as a mixed variety going cheap!
buggainok and NanaKaren like this post.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #5729
Stampin' Fool

Today, I got moving on my new added project for this year - framed art.
Basically, like altered paper-style card fronts but to hang on the wall. I finished 2 today. They are small sized - approx. 7 x 8 as that is the size I found cheaper frames for.

The most expensive part is the frames really, and I am also using up a lot of paper scraps. Sometimes that makes it harder because I am trying to fit the project into the papers being used, but that's ok.
buggainok likes this post.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:30 PM   #5730
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiP View Post
I've been knocking out some simple cards this week. I've noticed some people will buy my 10 cards for $10 (pre-packaged in a clear bag, only the front & back cards can be seen); these people will rarely look thru my $2 each regular cards. It's nice to produce things relatively quick and easy, and use some patterned papers up.
I also have some gift tags which came in a kit I've had for a few years. I'm going to try making some and will try selling as a mixed variety going cheap!
What type of cards do you make? Blank notes, thank yous, birthday etc. in your 10 card pack. Also, what do you consider simple?
Thanks.
Judi
Old 04-14-2015, 12:41 AM   #5731
FiP
Kookie Creator

I've sold maybe 4 or so of these packs. I included 7 birthday/thinking of you (one or 2 suitable for a male) a thank you, a sympathy and a get well. My 'simple' generally is to cover a card base with patterned paper, include a sentiment mounted with dimensional foam tape on a punched/die cut shape, with a little something eg bling or flower/s or ribbon. I always include envelopes and apart from the thank you's, I will stamp a suitable sentiment inside the card on a sheet of printer paper. Along with the tags from a kit, I still have some cards from the same kit. I dislike making the exact same card twice, so I've been trying to assemble some of these kit cards with extra/different bits and pieces.
Sands4ever likes this post.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #5732
Mad Swapper

Default craft sale best sellers

Quote:
I think gift tags are a great idea, I especially like making them for Christmas. They are a great way to use up small scraps, and they can be produced cheaply because of that. Better yet they are much nicer than the dollar store ones.

I have a tag punch I use for these, but also make square fold over ones as well. I am already making some that my daughter requested for Christmas 201 which I worked on when we were in Arizona.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:14 AM   #5733
Stampin' Fool

Spent today re-acquainting myself with the Cricut. Cut out pieces for alot of little cute critters that I will assemble and have on hand for when I need something quite and cute for Craft sales.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:15 AM   #5734
Mad Swapper

Diane, I do the same thing with die cuts, I hardly ever just cut out one unless its intentional. Somethings I use frequently so nice to just be able to have it handy than setting up machine for one cut.

I also have my flowers on hand to put finishing toch on top on my boxes if needed. Saves time when you go full out working assembly line in the home stretch for a sale. You never know what's going to happen 6 months ahead so better a bird in the hand so to speak.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:49 AM   #5735
Glitter Guru

I need to get back on it and finish some items I started and then start working on the mini coffee cups I ordered. Plan to take 1 apart for a template then just cut cute Christmas paper and wanted to do a few Thanksgiving ones, also. I am going to try to make a couple of different Thanksgiving items this year as I sold out quickly of the 80 2 pk. Peppermint Patty sleeves I made for last year. So going to do those again and some cups and maybe 1 other Thanksgiving item. People like these for place setting treats.

I haven't been crafting lately as I started seeing this guy and so my weekends are getting taken up with dating again. Weird...but fun! I miss being in my room working on my crafts, though. =)

I am excited to try a few new items this year like my plastic tubes and wands and the mini cups. Glad I worked in January, February and early March and got some things made before meeting this guy, though. I still feel like I am behind.
DianeCraft and vicloo like this post.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:11 PM   #5736
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kspiv View Post
I need to get back on it and finish some items I started and then start working on the mini coffee cups I ordered. Plan to take 1 apart for a template then just cut cute Christmas paper and wanted to do a few Thanksgiving ones, also.
No need to take one apart. Here is a template provided on a blog:
http://stampladee.com/wp-content/upl...p-Template.pdf
kspiv likes this post.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:29 AM   #5737
Glitter Guru

Thanks, Diane! I appreciate that. =)
Old 04-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #5738
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kspiv View Post
Thanks, Diane! I appreciate that. =)
You may want to cut one out of scrap paper and adjust as needed before you cut it out of your patterned paper. The fit was just slightly off. When I had one that fit perfectly, I made a template out of plastic. After all, I will need to cut covers for 100 cups!
kspiv likes this post.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:21 PM   #5739
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjudi View Post
You may want to cut one out of scrap paper and adjust as needed before you cut it out of your patterned paper. The fit was just slightly off. When I had one that fit perfectly, I made a template out of plastic. After all, I will need to cut covers for 100 cups!
Good thinking.
I am going to scan the template into my ScanNCut machine and get the machine to cut them out.
Love this machine. It was expensive but worth it for saving me time.
kspiv likes this post.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:28 PM   #5740
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjudi View Post
Thanks Judi...great idea! I may still take one apart and do my own template to be for sure. Do not want to cut a bunch and it be off....eek! patterned paper is too expensive for that.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:25 PM   #5741
Stampin' Fool

Anyone know how many of the cup liners you can get from a 12x12 or 8 1/2 x 11 sheet?
I am assuming just one from 8 1/2 x 11 and maybe 2 from 12x12?
kspiv likes this post.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:42 AM   #5742
Glitter Guru

Curious about this too, Diane. I was hoping there was a specific way to cut to get as many as possible. I will google it because you know someone somewhere out there has figured this all out.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:11 AM   #5743
Mad Swapper

Meanwhile, while antsy to play with my new purchases, I am Spring cleaning my Stamping Room . It seems like every year upon returning home I feel the need to purge and Re organize things. I have trimmed down odd ball pieces of paper and some of the scraps and extra die cuts go to two different schools.

It's true that if you buy patterned paper that no longer strikes your fancy,you loose your mojo as to how to use it.pretty paper always gets used first. I am a sucker for pretty designer paper and ribbon. I have to start using more pattern paper.

Well best get back to it.
kspiv and PikkuLilla like this post.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:53 AM   #5744
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada goose View Post
Meanwhile, while antsy to play with my new purchases, I am Spring cleaning my Stamping Room . It seems like every year upon returning home I feel the need to purge and Re organize things. I have trimmed down odd ball pieces of paper and some of the scraps and extra die cuts go to two different schools.

It's true that if you buy patterned paper that no longer strikes your fancy,you loose your mojo as to how to use it.pretty paper always gets used first. I am a sucker for pretty designer paper and ribbon. I have to start using more pattern paper.

Well best get back to it.
Yes, and when you hoard paper, sometimes your style changes but you don't notice the sheets that are "old" until later. Then, you have to force yourself to use them!!
I have been trying to use old papers lately to get them out, but it is so much harder to try to fit your inspiration to a pattern, than the free-flowing creativity.
PikkuLilla likes this post.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:12 AM   #5745
Mad Swapper

Diane, that is so true. It seems your go to paper is the newest one you bought. Lol
JBgreendawn and PikkuLilla like this post.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:27 AM   #5746
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

always... and I bought some papers that the scale is so off for cardmaking ( during a scrapbooking phase) that I fear I will never use up that paper...

My Blog
Old 04-26-2015, 05:03 PM   #5747
Stampin' Fool

Yes. I force myself to make things with papers I don't like. It means I don't like some of my end products but there are times that these sell first, so each person's taste is different.
The good thing is that lots of papers are double sided, so you can also just use the plain side.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:17 AM   #5748
Glitter Guru

I have the same problem with paper! And so many people are keeping up with what is "trendy" now that sometimes the older paper just doesn't inspire anymore. And with anything, papercrafting latches on to what's trendy too so when you buy that stuff, if you don't use it right away, in a couple of years the colors or "cute animal of the year" isn't in anymore. I've tried to buy less trendy paper but I still get drawn in! haha

Since most of the stuff I make anymore is Christmas stuff for the craft fairs, I buy Christmas/Holiday paper a lot so I try to stick to more traditional holiday stuff while throwing in some trendy holiday stuff for people like me who love the pink and greens or teal and reds for holidays.

We should all get together and just trade papers so we each have something new to work with! I get tired of my same old, same old! LOL
Old 04-27-2015, 01:37 PM   #5749
Mad Swapper

You can never go wrong with traditional christmas colours. No matter what trendy colours come and go you will always find traditional colours in stores in decorations etc. After all who changes their decor every year to match the current trends. Here is where you can make christmas gift tags and smaller items in the "colour of the season", so you not have a big investment in trendy colour papers in my opinion.
kspiv likes this post.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:22 PM   #5750
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

oh gift tags is how a ton of my papers get used... and tiny pieces make it onto scrap fold over 3" square "gift cards" a lot... if you die cut a fairly nice border around a sentiment you can mostly cover up a not so wanting to use it anymore paper...

My Blog
kspiv, PikkuLilla and TeeWell like this post.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:14 PM   #5751
Stampin' Fool

I find that reds sell better than greens ... and brighter greens sell better than darker greens. I find that older people like the darker colours.

I absolutely do not get the whole "gnome" trend. What does a gnome have to do with Christmas? But I had a couple from a premade die cut package and used them anyway last year for packaging, and they sold fairly quickly. So, who knows?! lol

I don't really make tags. Those who make them ... want to share some pics?
Old 04-29-2015, 07:34 PM   #5752
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Diane, I have tons of tags in my gallery ( but its hard to search here) so, this link goes to my blog.

Stacy's Memory Triggers: gift tags

(and I tend to make tags or folded gift cards from scraps constantly) so, they tend to show up at the bottom of posts that start out with bigger cards.

My Blog
DianeCraft likes this post.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:10 PM   #5753
Stampin' Fool

Hoping we can share pics of the different ways we have made the M&M candy sticks in past years. This is typically how I make them. I just change up the tags each year.
I cut the tops off the bags and tie the tag to the top.

I am looking for inspiration for a different style.
Attached Thumbnails
2014-candy-stix.jpg  
kspiv, craftymomto2 and cookie1031 like this post.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:59 AM   #5754
Kookie Creator

If you use a sheet of card and do a one sheet wonder, then just make a pack of cards that all match, I found you can use up your old sheets quickly. I made some boxes and used the 3 by 3 cards, used the same paper for the top of the boxes and they sold well as cute, all I added was a punched scallop topper with a punched embossed greeting
cookie1031 and PikkuLilla like this post.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:45 AM   #5755
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharron246 View Post
If you use a sheet of card and do a one sheet wonder, then just make a pack of cards that all match, I found you can use up your old sheets quickly. I made some boxes and used the 3 by 3 cards, used the same paper for the top of the boxes and they sold well as cute, all I added was a punched scallop topper with a punched embossed greeting
I have never tried one of those 1 sheet wonders. I will have to look it up to see exactly what it is.

Do you have a photo of what you described?
Old 05-04-2015, 03:09 AM   #5756
Kookie Creator

~These are the 3 by 3 boxes and all have cards inside
cookie1031 and PikkuLilla like this post.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #5757
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharron246 View Post

~These are the 3 by 3 boxes and all have cards inside
Very nice. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2015, 01:17 PM   #5758
Stampin' Fool

Somebody on here talked about doing cards for $1 at the craft fairs to draw customers, using very simple deigns. What did you mean by "simple". lol
I am thinking a dp background and a title?
Old 05-05-2015, 03:26 PM   #5759
FiP
Kookie Creator

Diane, I don't know if I'm the person you're referring to! See my posts #5728 & 5731. I don't do it to draw customers; I'd just packaged a few cards into a bundle of $10 for 10 and they've sold. I noticed they were bought by people who generally didn't pay much attention to my regular $2 cards. I've described what I consider simple - when I first started cardmaking, I would have been super proud of these designs, but with experience, your style and tastes and standards change. So, these $1 cards are the ones I can 'let go of'.
Sands4ever and DianeCraft like this post.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:39 PM   #5760
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Diane, I don't know if I'm the person you're referring to! See my posts #5728 & 5731. I don't do it to draw customers; I'd just packaged a few cards into a bundle of $10 for 10 and they've sold. I noticed they were bought by people who generally didn't pay much attention to my regular $2 cards. I've described what I consider simple - when I first started cardmaking, I would have been super proud of these designs, but with experience, your style and tastes and standards change. So, these $1 cards are the ones I can 'let go of'.
LOL
I didn't realize it was so recent. My shift work sometimes makes me lose track of time/dates.
Thanks