Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-04-2018, 04:27 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bitten By the Hand Lettering Bug?

So I've loved K. Werner's envelope art and what she does with hand lettered greeting cards and watercolors, but sure never thought it could ever be something I could do, even though there were plenty of YouTubers saying 'just practice, you'll get it.' But recently I've been seeing YouTube tutorials that really do show a person with not-so-great handwriting how to play around with this and have some real success. Went to the library and got inspired with lots of hand lettering looks ... and then came across KellyCreates at Michele's!

I'm appreciating the calming effect of slowing down and getting comfortable with the up and down strokes, the graceful loops and lines. and looking forward to a time when maybe I can create that 'just right' sentiment in the 'just right' size for a special card.

anyone else bitten by the hand lettering bug?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2018, 06:00 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

doesn't this look fun?

another favorite 'explainer' who seems to put this skill within reach of a mere mortal.

and KellyCreates is fabulous, too kellycreates - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2018, 06:26 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I'm getting into hand lettering, but I don't like most of the letter formations that I see others doing. They look "all over the place" to me.

ETA: I watched the second video and really liked it. TFS!

Last edited by Scrapjanny; 02-04-2018 at 06:31 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2018, 06:30 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Years ago when I entered the world of scrapbooking ,hand lettering was an "in" thing. Didn't know it has come back into fashion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2018, 10:31 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup, this is me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2018, 06:14 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

letterLAB - Lori Vliegen enrolled but haven't gone through lessons yet other than downloading practice sheets, um months ago. Very nice instructor who answered questions quickly and even engaged in my pen search (due to a hand issue).

"Hand Lettering for Relaxation" by Amy Latta of One Artsy Mama is a fun book with lots of short lessons, and meant to be written in. I completed lesson one. Months ago. While 99.9% of the time I e-read due to bad eyes, this wasn't very difficult to adjust to, with the actual lettering being HUGE. About 200 pages in this big, blocky paperback.
http://www.oneartsymama.com/hand-let...elaxation-book

Neither is calligraphy. That's serious.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2018, 06:50 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 325 Likes on 228 Posts

Subbing so I can view these resources later. I used to do calligraphy back in the day and that was fun. Thanks jeaniebean55 and everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2018, 12:35 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Lots of years ago, 25+ I taught myself calligraphy using a set of pens and ink from Schaeffer. Then when my daughter got married I addressed 200 or so wedding invitations!! Also was working full time and had 3 teenagers at home!

Anyhoo, thanks for sharing the links. Something for me to check out as I'm procrastinating big time instead of doing some cards. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes! I got a book from Amazon for Christmas 2016 and *gasp* have yet to really use it. I used to make up my own alphabets when I was a student but now in the working world people think your not paying attention when you practice your letters during meetings.<ha ha> What they don't understand is that it helps me focus... but I can't honestly blame them for thinking I'm zoning out.

We "write" in the true sense so little now that I feel it's absolutely imperative to hand letter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2018, 02:46 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 126 Likes on 93 Posts

Guilty! I bought myself a nice collection of Tombow markers, paper, a couple books, watched videos, and all the stuff is still sitting in the drawer. Mine look nothing like the examples so I get frustrated. All my lines are fat so my letters look a mess. I guess practice does make perfect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2018, 03:13 AM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

OMG how funny, just last night I was wanting to give this a try. but I do not want to spend any more money. I actually put myself on a spending freeze. So I printed some free sheets from Tombow. Now for the big question what markers to use???? Can I use that set of Stampin up markers that I have had forever? Any suggestion on what to use that I might already own. I also put a book on request at the library
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2018, 03:23 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have not used the new book I received for Christmas 2017 as yet!! I found some practice sheets on line and have a couple of pens to try...so, I need to get to it.Book is great; I have been reading and studying it, lots of good tips.
Lettering with Purpose by Brittany Luiz

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2018, 06:03 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I have Amy Latta’s book, too and really like it. It’s one of the few that focuses on using your own handwriting and doing creative things with it, rather than mastering a new way of writing. I love her step by step instructions on various types of embellishments and the tons of examples that form the book itself. I think this book is really unique in the glut of handlettering books today. I’ve looked at and rejected MANY. This one is my favorite so far
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2018, 06:06 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Free sources: The Postman Knocks and Amy Latta’s websites are very good resources for hand lettering instruction and ideas. THere is a guy from India who does calligraphy demonstrations on YouTube (mazic writer, I think) who does amazing things with a plain old yellow school pencil. He jsut writes. And you see, well now! The matter is not the impliment, but practice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2018, 09:36 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put any pen in my Silhouette Cameo pen holder or their Sketch pens. You can draw anything or pick a design from other places. The best thing is you can use ANY font on your computer & write any words & the machine will draw it onto your paper! People even address envelopes using this method!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

I learned gothic calligraphy in a high school art class, but that style is quite limited in scope. Then I took an adult education class on angular canterberry which is very adaptable to italic and book hand. I have even taught several classes over the years and at present have one student who is doing great! It is of those skills that if you don't use it you loose it, so keep practicing and find every reason you can to hand letter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2018, 10:01 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriella18View Post
OMG how funny, just last night I was wanting to give this a try. but I do not want to spend any more money. I actually put myself on a spending freeze. So I printed some free sheets from Tombow. Now for the big question what markers to use???? Can I use that set of Stampin up markers that I have had forever? Any suggestion on what to use that I might already own. I also put a book on request at the library
You sound just like me, lol! I pulled out all sorts of markers and pens to give them a try. My SU! markers didn't give me a clean enough line, my Crayola markers are just ... fat. Maybe in time I'll be able to get a thick and thin line out of them, but that's above my skill level for now. Same problem with my Marvy Memory Book Marker, Bic and Sharpie markers ... (what have we gotten ourselves into?!?!? lol!)

I was inspired by Kelly (of KellyCreates) and she thinks you also need super smooth paper so the brush tip on the marker doesn't fray so fast. I decided to give her book a try, and also picked up the smallest pack of Pigma brush markers, just to see if I'm going to get into this or not before getting too crazy. (and if I do take to this ... there are so many other ways to play with lettering, not just brush stroke letters. That seems like a decent place to start developing muscle memory and hand control, but from there ... so many options, so many great resources, so little time!)

ETA: I've seen YouTube beginner tutorials where they're using plain ol' Crayola markers, so if you have those around, that could work (I think the gal in the second video has some tutorials with Crayola markers) ... I just don't have a light enough hand at the moment, so it wasn't working for me.

Last edited by jeaniebean55; 02-07-2018 at 10:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2018, 10:12 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
You sound just like me, lol! I pulled out all sorts of markers and pens to give them a try. My SU! markers didn't give me a clean enough line, my Crayola markers are just ... fat. Maybe in time I'll be able to get a thick and thin line out of them, but that's above my skill level for now. Same problem with my Marvy Memory Book Marker, Bic and Sharpie markers ... (what have we gotten ourselves into?!?!? lol!)

I was inspired by Kelly (of KellyCreates) and she thinks you also need super smooth paper so the brush tip on the marker doesn't fray so fast. I decided to give her book a try, and also picked up the smallest pack of Pigma brush markers, just to see if I'm going to get into this or not before getting too crazy. (and if I do take to this ... there are so many other ways to play with lettering, not just brush stroke letters. That seems like a decent place to start developing muscle memory and hand control, but from there ... so many options, so many great resources, so little time!)
The easiest way to get the think and thin lines is to use a chisel shaped or calligraphy marker. Then you must also learn to hold the marker (pen) at a 45 degree angle while holding the flat edges of the marker flat against the paper. Using a regular brush marker is possible, but also requires practice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyofcardsView Post
I just put any pen in my Silhouette Cameo pen holder or their Sketch pens. You can draw anything or pick a design from other places. The best thing is you can use ANY font on your computer & write any words & the machine will draw it onto your paper! People even address envelopes using this method!
Here is a link to see this in action.http://www.silhouetteschoolblog.com/...orial-for
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2018, 01:46 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyofcardsView Post
Here is a link to see this in action.http://www.silhouetteschoolblog.com/...orial-for.html
pretty dang cool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorie95View Post
Lots of years ago, 25+ I taught myself calligraphy using a set of pens and ink from Schaeffer. Then when my daughter got married I addressed 200 or so wedding invitations!! Also was working full time and had 3 teenagers at home!

Anyhoo, thanks for sharing the links. Something for me to check out as I'm procrastinating big time instead of doing some cards. LOL!
Dorie, How awesome that you've already mastered calligraphy (and how awesome to have used it for your DD's wedding!). a couple of books from our library (in case you've still got the procrastinating vibe goin on) that I'll be returning soon and totally loved:

Hand Lettering Made Easy, by Debra Beagle, 2004 (but reprinted several times) (lots of lettering ideas beyond the brushstroke alphabet)

More Creative Lettering
, Jenny Doh, 2015. Just ... wow! using lettering in so many ways, from signage to artwork. very inspiring!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

And for those who wants instant gratification aka a cheat,, this pen is really fun since one of the ends makes two lines at once. We used it in a hand lettering workshop at a Stamp and SB Expo and I bought a few. The only thing to learn is how to hold it, and the tiniest bit of practice.

Kuretake UK Blog: ZIG Scroll & Brush pens: The Basics!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2018, 06:07 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 126 Likes on 93 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
The easiest way to get the think and thin lines is to use a chisel shaped or calligraphy marker. Then you must also learn to hold the marker (pen) at a 45 degree angle while holding the flat edges of the marker flat against the paper. Using a regular brush marker is possible, but also requires practice.
Oh, I've got a set of those too! I've got so many markers, it's obscene!

Instagram: @jacqueline_worksforstamps
Blog: Works For Stamps

Come join the TEAparty every Tuesday! Click here for details.

"Stamping is an addiction & therapy rolled into one"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2018, 06:16 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Also remember that calligraphy and brush lettering are not the same thing. There are some significant differences. I just bought the Kelly Creates brush lettering book at Michael's with a coupon, and I'm going to practice this weekend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Have fun, Scrapjanny! The brush pens I picked up I think are a little too small for the book, but I have the Rhodia grid paper (super ultra smooth) and have been getting into the zone making light upstrokes and thicker downstrokes. For now, I'm super content learning to control my hand in this smaller space, but also looking forward to graduating to the book.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

I've taken a couple of classes. I practiced a lot for a few weeks. Now I haven't picked up a pen!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2018, 05:56 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerdView Post
I've taken a couple of classes. I practiced a lot for a few weeks. Now I haven't picked up a pen!
just curious about what was it that got you interested enough to take the classes and what made you set it aside. (I have a feeling there'll be plenty of stampers who can relate.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2018, 11:46 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
just curious about what was it that got you interested enough to take the classes and what made you set it aside. (I have a feeling there'll be plenty of stampers who can relate.)

Part of it was life got in the way. The other part is that I just couldn't get it to look the way I wanted it to look. I was trying to "bounce" the letters. I think when I go back to it I won't "bounce". I'll get that down, then work on bouncing.

I have all of the supplies....pens, colored markers, paper, thin light box, etc. So I'm well supplied. Now to find the motivation to practice again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2018, 05:36 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

That darn life! lol!

I'm envious that you're ready for actual lettering, gingerd. I'm working on a light glide up and a stronger stroke down in a diagonal across a 1x2 square on my grid paper and feeling pretty pleased with myself when I can consistently make a row look the same. I keep K. Werner's envelope beautifulness in mind and think about the things I might be able to do in a year or so, but I have no illusions about an actual alphabet in the near future. For the moment, I enjoy listening to something (chapter of an audio book at the moment) and making my diagonal strokes. and you're right about that thing called life. I can play here and there, and even then, only for 20 min at most and then there are other things calling my name.
Reply With Quote Likes