Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-04-2005, 03:59 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone used paper clay?

I am trying to make small tiles to stamp on to create a mosaic type project and I read in a magazine that you can use paper clay. Well, I went to Michaels and they had what is called celluclay - basically paper mache. Anyone ever used this? I mixed it up put a few drops of ink in there - although that didn't mix that well. and rolled it between two pieces of wax paper and tried to use clay cutters - basically metal cookie cutters - to cut my design. It didn't work. Any suggestions?

They also had something called paperclay when I went - but it was more like a big block of sculpey and was kinda hard. Maybe I should have used that?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2005, 04:05 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to Charmed

I have never used the celluclay, but have used the actual paperclay and really like it. It is very much like sculpy, but you dont have to bake it, it air dries, and is much lighter weight on your cards or scrapbook pages then sculpy is. And once you open the package, if you dont use it all, not to worry, just store it in a ziplock bag. Next time you go to use it, if it is a bit dry or crumbly, just add a few drops of water and kneed it in.

You can also color it with reinkers or pearlex, or both at the same time, as just pearlex will dry it out a bit and make it crumbly.

Of course, ANY air drying clay will work just fine, and is usually cheaper then the actual paperclay and also cheaper then sculpy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2005, 04:10 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Thanks. Guess I'll go back to michael's and get the package of paper clay. Did I add that the celluclay paper mache stuff - makes a real mess everywhere?!?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2005, 04:13 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

You can also use Model Magic by Crayola. It's in the aisle at Michaels with the crayons. I rolled it out and stamped my image and then cut it out. Let it airdry and its really light so it attaches to cards easily.

Debra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2005, 06:35 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I have used the paper clay to make embellishments and it works OK. Doesn't get very smooth though and dries with a course texture from my experience. However the clay I can't live without is Makin's Clay! It is also available at Michaels. I have used this for approximately two years and is a scrapbookers dream. Very, very pliable and easy to use. Can use rollers, cutters, texture plates molds etc... Will air dry, but it still flexible when dry! This is great for scrapbooks because it won't dent as easily into photos and pages. But I save the best part for last... If you buy it in white you can make it any color you want with the re-inkers!!!! Just a couple of drops and squish like play dough. Very cool stuff, stays on my must have list. I made medalions for my daughters school class this year and even used some pearl-ex to give them a metallic look. They were a huge hit! I used an SU stamp to stamp images in them before they dried and the pearl-ex added to the relief. Great stuff - go buy now.

Tonya

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions and I will also watch this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2005, 08:01 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Thanks for the great info. Guess I'll have to go to Michael's in the morning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2005, 08:10 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've used paper clay, stamped on it and stuck it in my scrapbooks. I love it! I got it at Michaels, but really had to look for it! You can also mix it with acrylic paints to color it. The package should have a web site for info/ideas, that really helped me. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes