Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3-4 easy card techniques for 6th-10th graders?

I am looking for some techniques to show a group of pre-teens and teens to work on cards for a local charity. I want to keep their interest and have it be something they think is cool, without it being involved to the point they get frustrated. I would love to hear your ideas. Thank you in advance.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I'm surprised no one jumped in here to answer your question. A couple I cna think of ...emboss resist, just plain embossing with gold or silver(bling is always good), simple pop-up cards, the ones made by cutting the pop up in the fold of the card. Those are three that I use when teaching young teens...12-14. They really like the pop up the best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I'll jump in. Start with making some samples...have all the layers cut and ready for them to use. Bring a slew of stamps for them to chose from but keep the sketches of the cards pretty simple and similar. Try the same sketch with several different colors. If you're at a loss for sketches...the sketch challenge here on Splitcoast is a great resource. Maybe watercolor or color pencils for coloring...but keep the techniques simple. A great wow factor for kids but simple is embossing. Maybe have a cuttlebug or two if you have friends you can borrow from...have them emboss one of the layers. You could have one of the kids be in charge of the embossing station and have the rest come up in groups or something. HTH...have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

I agree Embossing is so cool! Check out the resource section for some great ideas--great and fun folds, techniques, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I have used small punches to make some lovely cards with 6th graders. Using a few flower shape punches, the children can create fabulous pictures of vases, boxes, baskets or bouquets of flowers. For the boxes, you just cut a square shape or use some corrugated cardboard. For the vases, use a vase stamp or again just cut a vase shape. For the basket cut a circle in half to get two basket shapes. For the bouquet, take a small piece of vellum and wrap around the flower punchies so it resembles a bouquet or bunch of flowers. Make the backgrounds interesting by tearing the edges of your background layers before you attach to a card. Add a little ribbon bow to complete it and maybe a sentiment.
I will try to post some samples of these suggestions in the next couple of days.
HTH!
Cheers,
Sharon

Last edited by purplepatch; 10-10-2011 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: Adding
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2011, 07:21 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Every kid I have worked with has loved Shrinky Dinks. Stamp, color with pencils, and shrink with the embossing gun. I had push pins and magnets to glue them on. FYI-We burnt up one embossing gum from so much use. Fortunately it was a cheap one.
Reply With Quote Likes