Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Techniques (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/)
-   -   Versamark the classic ink embossing (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/versamark-classic-ink-embossing-394414/)

suarezwalsh 10-31-2008 05:05 PM

Versamark the classic ink embossing

I have seen and tried the embossing method of inking your stamp first with Versamark, then inking in SU classic ink, then stamping and embossing with clear EP. I would like to use this method more in the future but I fear what may happen to my Classic ink pads. Has anyone been using this method enough to tell me what kind of effect it is having on your ink pads?

Thanks,
Lisa

jeannie barron 10-31-2008 05:54 PM

I have not seen any effect on my pads.

pjw2855 11-01-2008 05:20 AM

suarezwalsh.......In my opinion there is no point to using 2 inks for heat embossing. Use either the Versamark or a pigment ink of your choice. Obviously, you would use a color pigment ink to match the color of embossing powder. If you only want to use clear embossing powder, then use the Versamark alone.

Dye ink dries too fast for heat embossing.

In the Stampin' Up world, they use the term Classic for dye ink and Craft for pigment ink.

Patti

sweetiepeas 11-01-2008 05:25 PM

Yes, but not everyone can afford all of the Classic pads and the craft pads. I use versamark with my dye ink pads all the time and I havent had a problem with my pads either. I love matching my colors!

The only craft pad I own is the white and very vanilla. I use versamark for everything else.

I guess if you want to you can get the craft spots.

asuncionshija 11-01-2008 10:37 PM

I agree with sweetiepeas... no point in spending all that money on duplicate colors - even if you CAN afford it! I know that Kristina Werner does this (a lot) in her MACM videos all the time. Since I haven't done it for very long I can't tell you what the long term effects are, but I bet she can!
http://www.kwernerdesign.com/blog/index.html
Bet if you dropped her a line in the comments she'd get back to you (did I mention that she's amazingly nice, too?). :D

pjw2855 11-02-2008 09:59 AM

I also try to be economical. I don't use Stampin' Up ink for embossing. I prefer the pigment ink pads by other manufacturers. I can purchase those in the craft stores.

For the most part, I only emboss with gold, silver, bronze, copper or black. I don't find other colors have as much impact. I use the distress embossing powders if I want a different texture.

Patti

SusieMuslie68 11-03-2008 02:13 AM

This is something I am interested in as here in Australia, we don't get the choice of Craft & Classic ink pads, we just have the Classic.

In the past I have stamped in the colour that I want then over-stamped, using the Stamp-a-ma-jig, with Versamark & clear embossed, time consuming.

It would be good to know the effect of the Versamark first, dye ink second method second, on my ink pads before trying this. Please keep us updated on what you find out.

Thanks

stampinchicago 11-03-2008 01:37 PM

I have done this for several years and have not had any problems with my dye pads. All you need is clear embossing powder and Versamark. Then you can emboss with any dye pad. Just be sure you hit the Versamark pad FIRST...then your dye pad. Who has money and space to store pigment and dye pads in all your favorite colors?!

stampT 11-05-2008 07:41 AM

I think the best person to ask would be Michelle Zindorf.

She uses this technique ALL THE TIME! And her projects are incredibly awesome! Check her out!

StacyNoE 11-05-2008 09:19 AM

When I was a demo I managed to buy all the colors in both types of ink. Aside from the issues with some of the Craft ink pads being too dry and some being too juicy (boy, do I wish there was some quality control on that!), I totally prefer using actual pigment/Craft inks for color embossing (unless I have an EP color that I can't get with ink). IMHO you don't get quite the saturation using the Versamark/Dye ink method that you do with the pigment inks. And for scrapbooking, pigment/Craft inks are more archival in that the inks are formulated to last longer than dye inks. At least with SU and most of the inks I've been familiar with.

I do realize, though, that most people (especially non-demos) can't afford or don't want to spend the money on both complete sets, so the Versamark/Dye method is a reasonable option. As for storage, I have two of the SU ink storage units and they fit just fine in my tiny little craft loft.

peebsmama 11-05-2008 12:25 PM

I have done this technique. Just make sure that after you stamp your image that you clean your stamp before going back to the versamark. It's not only good for embossing but when you want a watermark look with a hint of color or a sheer color of your ink.

kimberlysue 11-05-2008 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855 (Post 11895317)
suarezwalsh.......In my opinion there is no point to using 2 inks for heat embossing. Use either the Versamark or a pigment ink of your choice. Obviously, you would use a color pigment ink to match the color of embossing powder. If you only want to use clear embossing powder, then use the Versamark alone.

Dye ink dries too fast for heat embossing.

In the Stampin' Up world, they use the term Classic for dye ink and Craft for pigment ink.

Patti

Here is my question, I am not that experienced with embossing powders so if you have the colored ink can't you just use clear EP as opposed to matching the ink and powder colors? Those little powders can get kind of expensive also. I am so glad to find out this method of versa mark then dye ink to emboss in colors!! I am starting on my Christmas cards tomorrow... yeah!!

SUZIE-QUZIE 11-06-2008 06:51 AM

kimberlysue,

What you describe is actually the recommended way to emboss if you plan on using copics to color in the image. The store in Davenport that specializes in copic coloring says to use versacolor only for your colored outline, and ranger clear to emboss. Then the copics will not "bleed". I have tried it and it is a wonderful method! Good Luck!

SQ

wizabuff 11-07-2008 07:25 PM

If I've got the jist of this question right... what you want is a base stamp color, then an adhesive (versa mark), then embossing...

I have not tried this personally but why not just...
*stamp the image in your colour choice...
*then use the stamp-a-ma-jig - use black ink to stamp on to the clear sheet, then clean the stamp, postion then stamp in versamark.
*After that use your powders as normal.

Another way that works for glitters (may work for embossing powders too) is to use the 2-way glue pen over the stamped image and then sprinkle the powders over the top.

Hope that made sence! Is that what you were after?

meluvstampin 11-08-2008 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizabuff (Post 11980354)
If I've got the jist of this question right... what you want is a base stamp color, then an adhesive (versa mark), then embossing...

I have not tried this personally but why not just...
*stamp the image in your colour choice...
*then use the stamp-a-ma-jig - use black ink to stamp on to the clear sheet, then clean the stamp, postion then stamp in versamark.
*After that use your powders as normal.

Another way that works for glitters (may work for embossing powders too) is to use the 2-way glue pen over the stamped image and then sprinkle the powders over the top.

Hope that made sence! Is that what you were after?

This does work fine but it takes longer and you it is still hard to get the image exactly the same.

I use the VersaMark/Classic EP all the time. It has NEVER affected my pads. It is a cheap fast way to match EP to the color you want of your inkpads.
I will not buy craft ink just to emboss.

Scrapjanny 11-09-2008 06:35 AM

Transcendence embossing powder works with dye-based inks. I just discovered how fantastic this product is. I've only seen it sold by TAC and at a recent stamp show I attended. I'm sure there are other places to get it, though.

asuncionshija 11-09-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapjanny (Post 11989568)
Transcendence embossing powder works with dye-based inks. I just discovered how fantastic this product is. I've only seen it sold by TAC and at a recent stamp show I attended. I'm sure there are other places to get it, though.

I've actually seen this online (here) but I didn't want to buy a big thing of it in case it didn't work! Sooo, tell me all about it! lol
Does it melt faster? Does it leave a lot on the paper that you have to brush off? Sticks well to dye ink? Curious minds are dying to know! :mrgreen:

jenn monty 11-09-2008 01:22 PM

To crimping master: In some of the countries, e.g aust/nz, you can't buy the 'craft'/ pigment ink pads they decided not to put them in the catalogue so that is why the versamark/pigment ink tecnique for embossing is popular here especially for demonstrating to customers.