Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Techniques (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/)
-   -   Tag Punch Starburst Instructions (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/tag-punch-starburst-instructions-289738/)

mybelle101 10-03-2007 07:42 PM

never, ever would have thought of that, you clever, clever girl!! I have the tag punches...must go make some stars! :D Thanks SO MUCH for sharing!

gigs 10-03-2007 10:33 PM

Wow and WOW! This is really out of this world. Thank-you for sharing not only your idea, but adding the pictures . . . ! Oh, the possibilities! Fab-U-lous!

ClaudiaK 10-04-2007 12:48 AM

BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL!

Your card is beautiful and the STAR is amazing and so creative! It was your co-workers loss. . . . and our gain! Too bad they were blind. Thank you so much for sharing and being brave! Now I HAVE to go order the small tag punch.

Claudia

Jerri Kay 10-04-2007 04:12 AM

Wow, Donna, what I can add to what has already been said. This is totally amazing! You should have a patent and receive royalties. I can't imagine the people at your work place didn't see the potential or beauty of your design. This would be beautiful done with a stained glass effect. Use vellum and color with markers on the backside, I think I'm going to go play. Thanks for sharing your wonderful creation with all of this, it's definitely going to be a big hit at SCS and I can't wait to see your future uploads. Wow, you hit the jackpot on your first attempt. You go girl!

paynete 10-04-2007 05:19 AM

Wow, I would have never had thought to make a star using the tag punch! Great job...And your card is simply beautiful!

andrea61 10-04-2007 06:09 AM

what a wonderful card and idea. Thank you so much for sharing with us. I love this group.... there are so many things I would never have thought of myself.

creativetracks 10-04-2007 06:58 AM

this is so beautiful- I can't wait to try it!!!!!!!!!!!

mrsd97 10-04-2007 08:05 AM

Very cool - what a great idea! Now I need those punches . . .

reneejul1 10-04-2007 08:21 AM

HOLY FREAKIN' WOW is all I can say!!

Shadow Mill 10-04-2007 10:03 AM

Half starburst

:) If anyone is interested in doing a half starburst, I posted a card for it. You only need to make one when you do this!

//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/686794?cat=500&ppuser=126298

Treehouse Stamps 10-04-2007 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Mill (Post 7370838)
:) If anyone is interested in doing a half starburst, I posted a card for it. You only need to make one when you do this!

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...&ppuser=126298

Girly...YOU ROCK!!!!!! :cool: You should get the Creative Genius Reward!

redheaded witch 10-04-2007 11:10 AM

Wonderful and very beautiful, thanks for sharing!!

Nlee 10-04-2007 11:23 AM

Your star is beautiful...now tell me what creative thing you did with all those tags that are left over!!? Hee, Hee! I know I can use them on cards....but since you had such a unique idea before, I thought you probably have come up with another use for them. Thanks, Nancy

stamp4me 10-04-2007 01:41 PM

Major WOW factor here! great job

PeaceOfPaper 10-04-2007 01:57 PM

I love your starburst cards but I have one question, what can we do with all the small tag punches that we have!? Also, can you give a source for the glitter paper that you used?

Shadow Mill 10-04-2007 02:46 PM

Glittered cardstock!

Now THAT seems to be the question of the month! Of course, the inside part is white mulberry paper (for the half one, I used some discontinued SU mulberry.)

I had to do a little snooping around for the glitter paper though. Once I purchased it from a local craft store, I found I couldn't get it again. They have put some on back order for me, but who knows? I did get the name of it. They called it Bazzill paper, but I'm not too sure about that. The name I found for it is Doodlebug sugar-coated cardstock. Lily white is what I used. This cardstock is wonderful to work with though! The glitter doesn't flake off everywhere and it just shimmers. Plus it comes in a bunch of colors --just good luck finding it! LOL

I ordered some from the following company, but it's on backorder for white:

http://papercents.com/papershop/cata...lty-Paper.html

If you contact the above company and use my email address ([email protected]) as a referral, they'll give you a small $1 credit on your order. No pressure though to do that!

I've heard JoAnn's has it on backorder as wellhttp://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...&source=search

You can do a search for it on line. Expect to pay about $1 a sheet for this stuff wherever you go. Be careful about paying more than that though. I've seen it as high as $1.75 a sheet...too much.

Happy hunting!!

bfcrafts 10-04-2007 07:58 PM

Ditto to all comments....this is fantastic! Thanks for sharing. Bobbie

YLM 10-05-2007 05:53 AM

awesome

gerrier2 10-05-2007 06:22 AM

Poinsettia version of starburst card

Donna, I posted my poinsettia version of your card on my blog at
www.apageatatime.blogspot.com.
Thanks for coming up with the idea. I think its the best one I've seen in a long time. Love it when you can get double use out of those punches.

Shadow Mill 10-05-2007 07:27 AM

Red poinsettia

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerrier2 (Post 7378081)
Donna, I posted my poinsettia version of your card on my blog at
www.apageatatime.blogspot.com.
Thanks for coming up with the idea. I think its the best one I've seen in a long time. Love it when you can get double use out of those punches.

Oh, I went to look at it and I think it's terrific! I loved the gold with the red. Congrats!

calgramma 10-05-2007 07:47 AM

I looked at the poinsettia as well....AWESOME!!!! I was thinking of trying this (the poinsettia), you beat me to it. But, I think you may have just designed my Christmas cards!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you. Donna and gerrier2 you guys are the BEST!!!!!

cpfingsten 10-05-2007 12:50 PM

I had to look at this about three times before I actually got it!!!It is the most beautiful snowflake I have ever seen. I hope when(and if) I find tag punches, that I can do it justice!!!! Thanks for the inspiration!!!!!
Cathy Pfingsten
Orlando, Florida

alanasnana 10-05-2007 06:10 PM

This is so beautiful. You are one talented lady. Those people you work with had better look out. You'll be taking over "in a design capacity" in my opinion.
Great job and thanks so much for sharing it with all of us!

jace5814 10-05-2007 09:48 PM

my feeble attempt:
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=44691

I definately need more practice!!!

Thanks Donna, these really are beautiful!!

kingscrown 10-05-2007 10:00 PM

Your card is gorgeous and this technique is SO beautiful. I don't have tag punches, but I want to get some just so I can try this!

Shadow Mill 10-05-2007 10:40 PM

No practice needed at all!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jace5814 (Post 7385861)
my feeble attempt:
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=44691

I definately need more practice!!!

Thanks Donna, these really are beautiful!!

I checked out some of your cards and it looks like you've had plenty of practice. They look really great...especially liked your bear cards! :) Thanks for sharing that.

bethvb 10-06-2007 04:40 AM

Incredible, that your mind could visualize a starburst from tag outlines. Just incredible!

newbie007 10-06-2007 02:20 PM

Your card is so cool and creative. You are a very talented genius. These are two punches that I are now on my list as 'must haves'. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the full tutorial. Please include lots of pictures.

Crazy4Stampin 10-07-2007 06:44 AM

Hi Donna,

I just had to say thank you so much for sharing how you made this fabulous star!!! I am so glad you included a few photos, because I never would have figured it out by just reading instructions & looking at your beautiful finished card. When you said you used the tag punches I couldn't for the life of me see how you did it! :confused: I'm still amazed that you looked at the tags and came up with this...pure genius!

I just got done creating my first star using your directions and it looks pretty good. Not as perfect as yours, and I don't have the pretty sparkley paper or even the mulberry, but it still came out nice using regular card stock and vellum.

I'm going to use it as an embellishment on a scrapbook page using the wintergreen papers. Thanks again for this idea!!!

indyemmert 10-07-2007 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy4Stampin (Post 7393086)
Hi Donna,

I just had to say thank you so much for sharing how you made this fabulous star!!! I am so glad you included a few photos, because I never would have figured it out by just reading instructions & looking at your beautiful finished card. When you said you used the tag punches I couldn't for the life of me see how you did it! :confused: I'm still amazed that you looked at the tags and came up with this...pure genius!

I just got done creating my first star using your directions and it looks pretty good. Not as perfect as yours, and I don't have the pretty sparkley paper or even the mulberry, but it still came out nice using regular card stock and vellum.

I'm going to use it as an embellishment on a scrapbook page using the wintergreen papers. Thanks again for this idea!!!

I don't have mulberry paper either. To make my vellum sparkly, I used a splatter stamp from Itty Bitty Backgrounds, stamped with Versamark, and embossed with Irridescent Ice. I also used Shimmery White cardstock for my tags.

KPluvs2stamp 10-08-2007 03:14 AM

Very neat!!!

Darlene Kinnear 10-09-2007 07:46 AM

Thanks Donna
Me and my stamping buddy did this one yesterday and just fell in love with it. really Thanks alot

Darlene

cpfingsten 10-09-2007 07:46 AM

I did it!!!

I finally figured this out, but I didn't use the tag punch, I used my Cricut and the cartridge TTBM. It cuts tags of all types, so I used the window function on the beveled tag and it took a while, but I did it. After I do a couple more, I will post my picture, I need it to look a little less rough than the first one!!!! You girls on this board are so awesome....a never ending supply of wonderful ideas!!!!!!!
Thanks for your help!!!!
Cathy Pfingsten:D :D :D :D

librarian 10-09-2007 08:23 AM

does anyone know where I can find the directions for making the pin wheel that looks like a child's toy?

creativetracks 10-09-2007 11:42 AM

tried it

I TRIED IT AND I LOVE IT!!!!

Here's my card:

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...&ppuser=135299

Thank you soooo much for sharing this technique with us!

sandy kanapilly 10-09-2007 07:57 PM

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS STAR :)

Lynn in St. Louis 10-10-2007 02:34 AM

I made my version last weekend, but just got it posted. You can see it HERE.

redheaded witch 10-10-2007 02:30 PM

Ok I have done a bunch of these, here are the 3 I posted to my gallery:
teal paper and pearls, 2 different sized stars
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=67338
made with mellow moss and vellum, white glitterpaper

light blue glitter paper and light blue flocked homemade mulberry paper:

walshes5 10-10-2007 07:12 PM

This is amazingly beautiful and so impressive! You are a genius!

Here's a tip that helped me, I ran my sparkly cardstock through my Xyron first, then cut out the frames...makes it so much easier to peel and stick!

But what's the secret to lining up the frames properly? My points weren't coming out right. Are they all supposed to be butt up against each other tightly, both layers? Thanks.

Judy

redheaded witch 10-10-2007 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walshes5 (Post 7422822)
This is amazingly beautiful and so impressive! You are a genius!

Here's a tip that helped me, I ran my sparkly cardstock through my Xyron first, then cut out the frames...makes it so much easier to peel and stick!

But what's the secret to lining up the frames properly? My points weren't coming out right. Are they all supposed to be butt up against each other tightly, both layers? Thanks.

Judy

Mine did, but I think in the instructions she said to keep 1/4" apart... Try both and see which way you like it the best...

Shadow Mill 10-10-2007 07:49 PM

Ok, the 1/4" part is when you're punching out the little frames, not when you're lining them up for the second layer. It may help to have some grid paper under the vellum or whatever you're using just to keep the angles straight. It just takes a little practice.

When you're putting on the second layer, try just lightly pressing the top "bar or rod" of the frame into position first before you press down the other sides. That will let you reposition it if you need to. Watch the petals of the star as it is forming to see that they are somewhat even.

Hope that helps. :)

Tokane4 10-10-2007 09:32 PM

Very nice - thanks for sharing!

Rosiebudstamp 10-11-2007 03:03 AM

You are absolutely brillant! I love it
Now off to punch some ..................
Hugs,
Pearl

redheaded witch 10-11-2007 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Mill (Post 7423110)
Ok, the 1/4" part is when you're punching out the little frames, not when you're lining them up for the second layer. It may help to have some grid paper under the vellum or whatever you're using just to keep the angles straight. It just takes a little practice.

When you're putting on the second layer, try just lightly pressing the top "bar or rod" of the frame into position first before you press down the other sides. That will let you reposition it if you need to. Watch the petals of the star as it is forming to see that they are somewhat even.

Hope that helps. :)

Sorry my bad.. should of kept my mouth shut...LOL

Shadow Mill 10-11-2007 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redheaded witch (Post 7424242)
Sorry my bad.. should of kept my mouth shut...LOL

Silly, silly you, Deb! LOL You can jump in anytime! The stars you made were terrific, by the way!

creativetracks 10-11-2007 04:33 PM

pinwheel

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by librarian (Post 7408765)
does anyone know where I can find the directions for making the pin wheel that looks like a child's toy?

here you go

redheaded witch 10-11-2007 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Mill (Post 7425451)
Silly, silly you, Deb! LOL You can jump in anytime! The stars you made were terrific, by the way!

I made two more for two wedding cards.. One is all white and looks pretty good if I might say so...

Couldnt do it if it wasnt for your brilliant idea!!!

Scrappy Kathy 10-11-2007 06:44 PM

Love it, Love it, Love it, working on my first now. Thanks for the instructions.

Wine4me 10-12-2007 04:56 AM

Ok...so I HAD to make this card, but only had one of the tag punches. So....I punched 8 tags, leaving room between them. Then used the Creative Memories Personal Trimmer to trim a 1/8" border around each of the tags. I ended up with the same tag outline!!! And I didn't have to spend any money!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!! Of course, it did take a little more time, but that's okay. LOVE this technique. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING!

~Amy

momma b 10-12-2007 08:59 AM

Shadow Mill thank you for your wonderful instructions, I saw your card when you first posted it and wondered how did she do that with tag punchs. I have added a link to my first attempt. Not quite even but with practice I am sure I will get it. Also someone wondered what to do with the smaller tags, I used them to make a solid center. Your Starburst are beautiful and I can believe your coworkers didn't see that!
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=45900