Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!! what am I doing wrong?

I am TRYING.. key word TRYING to stamp some fairly large stamps.. not a background this one ( Penny Black - sweet day ) and I am not getting a clear impression.. I am using Memento Tuxedo Black ink.. I have used GK's 120lb paper, Paperrtrey Ink paper.. I used Su's block and thought ok lets try the Mega Mount block and still not getting everything stamped..
so is it the paper.. the ink.. the block.. What??? I have tried til I am about ready to pull my hair out

anyone have any suggestions
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

If you have one, try inking the stamp with your brayer to insure that all the image is getting inked. Also, with the larger stamps, it's important that pressure is even over the entire image. (I usually stand to stamp those images). Or turn the stamp image side up, put the paper on top and then use the brayer to insure that the entire image receives the same pressure...I have had sucess with both methods. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Like Calgramma I would say stand up to stamp if you're not already doing that and press down all over the block - I use the heel of my hand and "walk" it down the centre of the block and then press down the two sides together then the top and bottom together.

I also do the "face up" trick for larger stamps but don't use a brayer on the cardstock, I just smooth over with the flat of my hand.

I've never used a Mega Mount so I don't know whether there are any tricks to try with that.

It sounds like the paper you're using is smooth stuff so that should be OK. You could try with a pigment ink and see if that helps. If you're colouring with something like Copics, Brilliance is fine (just give it a quick blast with the heat gun if you want to be absolutely sure it's set). If you're not using alcohol markers then I'd always recommend Versafine - almost any stamping problem is solved with Versafine in my experience!

HTH!

My blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Oh, one more thing - try putting something slightly cushy under your paper before you stamp (a sheet of craft foam, an old telephone directory, a mouse mat) and make sure you're stamping on a good, flat, firm desk or table. Those things will help with good contact over a larger area.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2013, 04:02 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Location: I live in North Texas, but my heart remains in New Mexico.

I had a stamp once that would not stamp well; it always was missing the same area. I emailed the company about it and they sent me a replacement. (I emailed them pics of both the stamp and the images I was getting, and they decided it was the stamp itself.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2013, 04:13 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Sometimes the stamp is defective. I had a larger Hero Arts stamp that would not stamp the image in the center portion. I emailed Hero Arts and told them 1) I used different company inks, 2) different company cardstock 3) used a stamping pad, a magazine, and no cushion at all 4) I used different company clear blocks 5) I used my fingers to press, my palms to press and my fist to press 6) I sat and I stood to stamp and none of these six methods worked. I did tell them that the only one I got to semi- work was when I used my elbow to press in the center but it still was not a clear image. I asked them is the stamp possibly defective because I don't have to do any of these things with any of their Hero Art stamps. They emailed me back and told me that yes, it is defective even though when I look at the stamp it may appear even. They sent me a replacement right away. I was very impressed with how Hero Arts handled the whole situation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That's so frustrating, I know!

You've gotten good advice here. When I've had this problem, I always be sure the stamp is inked evenly. Hold the stamp face up in your hand, and apply the ink to the stamp, checking to see that all surfaces of the stamp are inked.

I personally don't like Memento ink, although others seem to do just fine with it. I have the best luck with Versafine Onyx for good coverage.

Also, when you stamp, don't pick up the stamp from the paper too quickly. Let it stay on the paper a moment so the ink can "sink in" to the paper.

Good luck.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

I like to use, Pallette ink for the bigger stamps, and put the paper I am stamping on, on a piece of fun foam stuff (sometimes mouse pads have texture). Of course I always think its me, and really did not consider that the stamp was not level. Thanks for mentioning that - - makes me feel a bit better re: my failures. Standing up to stamp is a given with the big stamp too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

As has been suggested, it could very well be he stamp. I had one from SU---not too large---the tree from Pendent Park. There was a spot somewhat off center that would not print. I cleaned it really well and inked it as I would normally, even giving it a heavier dose. Since I used Memories black, I could turn it over and see that there was the round problem area that didn't ink. I had my demonstrator contact them and before I knew it the whole set had been replaced. The new stamp does not have any problems. Sometimes things like that happen, so before you frustrate yourself any further, check to see if the problem is out of your control. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: in sunny Florida on the wonderful west coast. Venice FL

I've been known to put a 'shim' under the troublesome area with success. Heat the stamp for a few seconds in the microwave, peel the stamp and padding from the wood mount enough to position a lightweight cardstock shim in position. Judgements have to be made on the thickness required and the size so that it doesn't make nearby areas print too bold. That said, having the defective stamp replaced is a much better solution, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd go with the mouse pad or some sort of cushion or stamping upside down. Both have worked for me. A brayer can work too while the stamp is upside down. Use it to get even pressure all over the paper and prevent missing any spots.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 04:56 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Make sure you are stamping on a flat surface. I have plastic folding table seems to have some slight dips. I find that if I go to my wooden table I get a better impression.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

One problem I had and didn't realize was my inkpad needed inking; the stamp wasn't getting enough ink on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

The first thing I would suggest is make sure the surface / table is very stable firm and straight, second ink your stamp by placing it face up on the table and applying the ink to the stamp, this way you can see if it is completely inked.
If it's a large stamp I'm using or one I have never used before I always stamp on a scrap of paper first, this will tell you if you have to apply extra pressure to particular spots.
No matter what stamp I use I always walk my stamps, that is I use my fingers to apply the pressure and walk all over the stamp systematically, you can also use the heal of your hand to apply pressure using the practice stamped image as a guide as to where you need the extra pressure.
On occasion I have also used a magazine under the paper I'm stamping on or a thin rubber mat.
I have a lot of PB stamps and have never had any problems with the stamps. Before you relegate it to the bottom draw I would try a few of the suggestions here and if they don't work I would take it to a paper craft store if you can and get them to see if they can get a good image.
Cheers

My Gallery - MyBlog

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow" - Kurt Vonnegut
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2013, 06:31 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If the stamp IS defective (meaning having a little indentation in it so it is not even), while waiting for a new stamp (if you go that route), use the corner of the ink pad to ink up the problem areas. The corner will go into the indented area better than the flat surface maybe.

Then try having the stamp upside down, and put the paper on it. Now use your fingers to slowly and firmly work over every single bit of the stamp, especially the problem areas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2013, 01:46 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

So I did what Joanne suggested.. and that worked!! I tend forget that sometimes unmounted stamps on cling mount are a bit stiff..
Thanks everyone for your suggestions !!

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2013, 04:20 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Question

Great thread. I've had a lot of frustration with stamping background images, but I've only ever tried pigment ink (SU). I'm still trying to get solid images of my backgrounds just to place in my Reminder Binder. How do you all get consistent results, such as when making multiple copies of the same design?
Reply With Quote Likes