Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Techniques (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/)
-   -   Stamping on Ceramic Tile (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/stamping-ceramic-tile-382965/)

sandicraft 09-16-2008 06:10 PM

Stamping on Ceramic Tile

Hi there.. I would like to stamp on ceramic tiles. I am thinking a christmas scene, snowman.... These will not be used as coasters, more like an plaque sitting on a wooden stand. Does anybody have any tips regarding this technique. I know to use a Staz on ink pad. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated......

Sandicraft

ShaddyBaby 09-16-2008 06:47 PM

I'd love to know the answer to this as well. I have tried stamping on tiles and it always rubs away or melts when I put a drink on the tile. I have tried Stazon, baking, clear coating, and several other ways. I'd love to have something to try that might work! I hate to give a gift that isn't "right."

shadowkat1283 09-18-2008 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaddyBaby (Post 11340563)
I'd love to know the answer to this as well. I have tried stamping on tiles and it always rubs away or melts when I put a drink on the tile. I have tried Stazon, baking, clear coating, and several other ways. I'd love to have something to try that might work! I hate to give a gift that isn't "right."

I'm have the same problem. I am stamping tiles to use as coasters and I used Stazon Ink and baked them. Sprayed them with Krylon clear coat and the ink is still rubbing off. I'm not sure what to do now!

Kathy

Inkstampnscrap 09-18-2008 08:26 AM

I found that I can't use ceramic tiles at all...they have a sealant on them that won't allow any ink to penetrate the tile. I found unfinished stone tiles to be the answer, they require sealant to protect them. I clean them, stamp them, seal them and they are great! A bit more pricey than the cheapo ceramic ones but I like the rough texture of them more. HTH

robynmacdonald 09-18-2008 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandicraft (Post 11340050)
Hi there.. I would like to stamp on ceramic tiles. I am thinking a christmas scene, snowman.... These will not be used as coasters, more like an plaque sitting on a wooden stand. Does anybody have any tips regarding this technique. I know to use a Staz on ink pad. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated......
You also want to make sure that your tiles are very clean prior to stamping. I use rubbing alcohol to get all the dirt off the front and back of the tiles.
Sandicraft

I use tumbled marble tiles for stamping on. I use Staz on ink and then heat set it with my heat gun. You want to make sure that you apply the heat for a couple of minutes to allow for drying. I then use chalks or markers to color my images. To seal my coasters after I am done I use triple think krylon spray with at least 2 coats. You will also want to make sure that you put felt or cork on the back to help prevent breaking.

depper1 11-28-2011 12:05 PM

I have a question, I bought the tumbled marble tiles and the staz-on ink but I can't get my tiles to take the stamp evenly. They have parts that just don't take and other parts that are on too thick and run. I think it is because the tile is uneven but don't know what to do to fix this. Any advise would be greatly appreciated, I am new at stamping with staz-on and it is not easily removed even with the special remover.

fairsinger 11-28-2011 01:16 PM

Hi depper1! I love stamping on tumbled tiles so I hope I can help. I usually brush off my tiles first with a towel to get any dust off of them so the surface will take the ink better. I do not wash them, as I don't have enough patience to wait for them to dry! I have lightly sanded them a bit if they were really uneven, but usually find I don't have to do that. If they have a lot of pits in the surface, it will be hard to get a good image. I dig through the box before buying them (when possible) to find a box without many pitted tiles. Also, you mentioned having difficulty removing the ink. Rubbing alcohol will completely wipe away the ink and let you start over if you're unhappy with your stamped image. I do this all the time! I bought a cheap travel-sized empty spray bottle (you can usually find them in the travel section or the trial size section of Walmart, Target, etc.) and fill it with rubbing alcohol. Then if I make a mistake, I just spray it on the tile and use a rag to rub the ink away, then let the tile dry for a few minutes. Your tile will be as good as new and you can just try stamping on it again! If I am using more than one stamp on the tile and one of them doesn't look right, I just spray a little of the alcohol on my rag and rub out the part that I want to re-do. Works great!

I hope this helps!

craftymomto2 11-28-2011 02:52 PM

One lady does her's with embossing powder, let me see if I can find her video.

craftymomto2 11-28-2011 03:04 PM

Here is the link:

justasip's Channel - YouTube

depper1 11-28-2011 03:53 PM

thanks for the advise, I will try it.

DarkestDreams_ 12-03-2011 06:32 PM

I buy unfinished tiles. I use Stazon to stamp my image and Bic Markers to color them. The only problem I have is that when I seal them its the Stazon that runs and not the Bic markers....hoping you find something that works for you