Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Techniques (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/)
-   -   Sponging (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/sponging-348866/)

smallcity 05-18-2008 04:14 AM

Sponging

I have the hardest time when i go to sponge some color on the card. It just goes into a blob. Does it matter which ink you use? (dye or craft) I have used different sponges and i just don't get it. Any help????

Aussie Girl 05-18-2008 05:05 AM

I just used a cloth to sponge ink over my cardstock. It doesn't matter what ink I use then.

Hopefully someone else has some more ideas for you!

Angelnorth 05-18-2008 05:50 AM

I find craft (pigment) ink is too thick and opaque to get good results with sponging, I always use dye-based or chalk inks. I have some of the little cat's eye shaped chalk ink pads and I usually use those direct to the paper. Other pads I just use a small hunk of foam cut off a large car-wash sponge. I find the Tim Holtz Distress inks are excellent for sponging as they stay wetter for longer so you can move them around more for a really smudgy, smoky kind of effect.

One thing you might want to try if you don't do it already is to make sure you start your sponging motion off the edge of the cardstock - lay your card on some scratch paper and use a circular motion with the sponge to pull the ink onto the edge of the cardstock, if you see what I mean.

HTH!

BSD 05-18-2008 05:52 AM

Sometimes if your ink pad is too juicy, it puts too much ink on the sponge. I would suggest tapping the sponge on scrap until you start getting the coverage you like. Also, I have found it works a lot like stenciling, less is more, try an almost dry sponge that you can always layer again for more coverage. I have not had great luck sponging with craft ink, mostly because they are so wet. Hope that helps, you sound very frustrated-hang in there!

kathy tucker 05-18-2008 06:07 AM

I find that you need a light touch and I don't use the craft in...it's too smooshy... If you want wider sponging lay your card on your scratch paper and work it in a circular motion... you may want to start on your scratch paper to get the initial ink off. If you just want the edges hold your project and run the sponge across it vertically.

Good luck!

smallcity 05-18-2008 08:38 AM

thanks ladies for all the help, i think i get in to big of a hurry when i am sponging. will try these ideas. thanks again

caterinafmig 05-18-2008 03:51 PM

I use SU's pastels instead of inks to sponge on some color -- it is easier to control and very forgiving. Best of all, if I don't like the way it looks, can erase it and start again with another color, etc.

Caterina

QueenOfInkland 05-18-2008 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallcity (Post 9861868)
thanks ladies for all the help, i think i get in to big of a hurry when i am sponging. will try these ideas. thanks again

I have a heavy hand with sponging and found I could get the look I wanted with stipple brushes.

ashmanra 05-21-2008 11:16 AM

Great idea! I need to try the stippling brush!

You Betcha! 05-21-2008 01:18 PM

Play it Like a Guitar

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallcity (Post 9857935)
I have the hardest time when i go to sponge some color on the card. It just goes into a blob. Does it matter which ink you use? (dye or craft) I have used different sponges and i just don't get it. Any help????

I like to play my cardstock like a guitar & strum the sponge across. I used to use 1/6 of a SU sponge, but sometimes ladies have a hard time if they have long fingernails. In that case, I recommend the sponge daubers.

Don't press too hard into the pad OR onto the paper. You can always go darker, but not lighter.

By strumming or working a circular motion, your hand is in motion when it touches the paper and shouldn't blob. In stamping, the paper stops your motion. In sponging, you just keep moving past the paper.

Hope this helps!

larleigh1964 05-21-2008 01:39 PM

I love the stampin' up sponges, cut into quarters. Fantastic effect, a light coverage that can be made darker if you wish. Also gives a mottley effect 'cause of the holes in the sponge.

Paula592 05-21-2008 03:41 PM

I love the look of sponging. I've used it on walls, ceramics and now cardstock! I use a natural sponge, slightly damp. I've used both water based ink and pigment ink. It works great.

joyk 05-21-2008 05:34 PM

Another thing to try........just as you stamp *off* your stamp image to get a lighter effect.......sometimes I sponge *off* so that the effect isnt as heavy.

caterinafmig 05-21-2008 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyk (Post 9900485)
Another thing to try........just as you stamp *off* your stamp image to get a lighter effect.......sometimes I sponge *off* so that the effect isnt as heavy.

Great idea -- thanks:-D

mzdragonfly 05-21-2008 06:58 PM

i use scrunched up saran wrap and sometimes wax paper i love the look i get

imsteelefullofscrap 05-21-2008 07:44 PM

sponging

If you sponge to hard you will get like an impression of your finger/nail, if so get an old pair of pantyhose wrap around sponge and use a rubberband this also makes a nice handle to hold on to the sponge better also!!
I agree with the gals I use alot of stippling
Jen

carabecca 05-22-2008 05:09 AM

I always use a little piece of a paper towel to sponge, and I agree with the ladies who said to "sponge off" on a scrap paper. You can always go over the area again if you want it darker!

stampbystep 05-22-2008 12:28 PM

I use the round "hydra" sponges with all types of inks (prefer the pigments) and have never had an issue. I do tend to lean towards a lighter touch with most things. I find that sometimes I have to apply in layers to make sponging, daubing, chalking, etc dark enough...

halys 05-22-2008 04:16 PM

sponging

I use a 1/2" to 3/4" pom pom to "sponge". I find that can vary the amount of ink you apply by how much contact you make with the paper. You can get a very light airy feeling by using just the ends of the fibers on the pom pom. Or, you can get a heavier coverage by using more of the pom pom. It was even very easy for my 8 year old grandaughter to use. Like sponges, they are also reusable.

smallcity 05-23-2008 04:48 AM

These are all wonderful tips, thanks so much

smallcity

QueenPam 05-23-2008 09:48 AM

Ok you have just lost this newbie can someone show me how this card looks,sponging?

caterinafmig 05-23-2008 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenPam (Post 9919492)
Ok you have just lost this newbie can someone show me how this card looks,sponging?

QueenPam, just wanted to let you know I love your closing line!

:-D

AddictedtoStamps 05-25-2008 06:29 AM

Also, if you dampen your sponge, it gives a soft effect.

I "strum" too. Sometimes, I strum the CS on the ink pad. To me, a sponge and dauber gives diff effects. Like'em all.

luvjdb 05-25-2008 08:49 PM

I was wondering if anyone has used a cheesecloth before? I'm curious how the texture might look and how well it works before I waste a sheet. I just want to try something a little different.

coolblue 06-08-2008 08:10 AM

Thanks so much for all your tips. I'm anxious now to get back in there and Sponge. I usually end up using my stipple brush, but now I'm determined to get the sponging right.