Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-27-2016, 04:45 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 400 Likes on 366 Posts
Question Removing Stamps from Wooden Blocks

I have recieved an entire shopping bag of used Stampin Up stamps on wood blocks. All the cases are yellowed and very fragile. I think they wre stored in direct sunlight due to the condition of these cases. Anyway I know it's been posted before somewhere but I would like to remove these stamps from the wooden blocks so I can store them in sleeves instead and discard the cases. How do I remove the stamps and what kind of prep is needed to be able to have them stick to acrylic blocks so I can still use them. I assume whatever is used to remove them from the wood also removes all the stickiness needed to stick to the acrylic. Or do they just magically adhere? I would really like to get these organized and I really do prefer unmounted stamps for easier postioning when stamping. Thanks a bunch in advance.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2016, 08:08 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try youtube. That will explain it for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2016, 09:31 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Susan, Congrats on your new stash! Here's a link to the latest discussion of unmounted/nekkid stamps Dura-lar and cling rubber stamp storage. It covers removal, adhering and storing.

One of the best methods discussed, is to put the stamps in the freezer for a few minutes. Just check first to see if the rubber on the stamps feels brittle. I had a corner of an old stamp break off. The stamp was visibly brittle. I've had no problems with other stamps. All the adhesive may not come off. I use an exacto knife and pumice stone to remove the remaining adhesive. I use an adhesive remover or rubbing alcohol to remove the last layer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2016, 07:05 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3,119 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I put mine in the microwave for ten to fifteen seconds and they peel right off the block.

​​​​
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2016, 04:50 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 666 Likes on 309 Posts

I have used the microwave method too - you may need to heat them more than once, but it does work! I've just finished cataloging and reorganizing all my unmounted stamps (info HERE) and many of them were naked rubber - I mounted them all on EZMount foam. I prefer the thinner black foam, but the grey foam is easier to find. A hot knife is a must for trimming, too.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2016, 02:30 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I too use the microwave method to remove mine. On the odd stamp that still has some adhesive on it, I recently discovered that medical adhesive remover spray will take it off, without damaging the stamp. Should be available at your local pharmacy.
For use with acrylic blocks, there are a few methods- you can leave them totally bare and use Tack n Peel on your blocks, or you can use a repositional adhesive on the back. The one I've had most success with is the Tombow Mono Multi- you usae it as is, no thinning required,that was my problem with the TIOO by Aileenes, I could not get a reliable thinning proportion.It was either too strong, and hard to get them off the storage panel, or too weak, and they'd drop off.
Any sticky left behind in the unmounting process would be too sticky for storage & acrylic blocks.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 06-10-2016 at 02:35 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2016, 05:08 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 400 Likes on 366 Posts

Great ideas......I have only tried removing a few and the ones I started with were ones I didn't really care about so if I messed up it was ok. LOL So far they have just peeled right off. Amazing....they must really be old ones! Plus I know they were stored on window ledges so I guess the sun helped. The rubber on the ones I removed seem ok but the backs still have alot of stickie on them so I'm going to go get some of that medical spray stuff. I will then attempt to remove the other stamps which are stuck on real good. Thanks everyone...I'll update my progress.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2016, 07:07 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I too assumed that it was old age that made them peel easy, but, I have some stamps bought brand new, from a couple of big stamping companies over the last few months, and while it seemed to be well attached, an attempt at peeling it made it come straight off! The one I've found adheres the hardest is the very thin foam, and then the black stuff. That stuff is almost impossible to get off, lol. You'd have thought the thicker it was, the better the adhesion quality would be, but absolutely not the case in my experience anyway.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 06-11-2016 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2016, 07:11 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

In case it helps, this quote from gregzgurl:
I use the cheap cardstock from Walmart, myself. Tip on removing cling foam from stamps - put those babies in the freezer for a few minutes! The glue hardens and you can pull the rubber right off...on this thread: EZ Mount Storage Panels vs. Self Laminating , in the Mission Organisation section.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2016, 07:58 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 439 Likes on 270 Posts

the first round of doing that I just stuck my thumbnail into the cracks between the foam and rubber and did it long enough to give my self blisters from twisting my hand just so haha.. now I do a sheet and or two and call it time to start cutting to give my fingers a break but, I have not tried hauling any of them down stairs to a freezer or a microwave. the ones that are really stuck pretty good for me are recent purchases the older the stamp the better they peel clean for me.

one thing I tried the other day though was taking an older exacto knife and just scrapping off the excess foam and sticky ness that had remained behind on the rubber. kind of a scraping no pressure motion. and that does work too.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2016, 02:44 PM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do any of you put the image on the back of the stamp? I like having the image and it isn't a problem with EZ Mount gray but I have some stamps with red or black foam and the method of stamping on tissue paper doesn't work. There isn't enough of a contrast. I saw somewhere on SCS that you could stamp the image on Circuit white vinyl (?). Does anyone know anything about that? What kind of white vinyl -- the white window cling?
Reply With Quote Likes