Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Techniques (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/)
-   -   re-inker ornaments please HELP!! (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/re-inker-ornaments-please-help-202696/)

lobby's hobby 11-28-2006 05:13 PM

re-inker ornaments please HELP!!

AHHH!! I am totally covered in ink and dd glitter, lol!!! My DH thinks I am totally nuts and is hysterically laughing at me.. I can't seem to do the re-inker ornaments. I add 3 drops of water about 15 drops of classic re inker into my glass ornament. Swirl around until it is totally covered and drain for 15 minutes.. Next when I add my DD glitter and shake it goes all weird. The ink kind of disappears in some areas, gets blotchy in others... what am I doing wrong???
Would appriciate any and all help, thanks so much!!

Cathy H 11-29-2006 07:53 AM

This is really a tough question. It sounds to me as if you are doing everything right. The only thing I can think of is to make sure that when you are draining it, you have the hold directly in the middle so no pools of ink can form. 15 minutes is longer than I let them drain. I only let mine drain about 5 minutes and it worked great.
Try again. Good Luck !

lobby's hobby 11-29-2006 08:45 AM

Thanks so muc for your reply... I will try not draining them so long...

kmarshall1223 11-29-2006 10:28 AM

I would definately not drain them too long. I just tried these as well and found that the longer they drain the lighter the color on the ornament. Only draining a few minutes resulted in very vibrant colors. I had a hard time with some of the reinkers, very runny, especially Lavendar Lace. My best so far are Glorious Green and Real Red. I had a problem too with using water, and just ended up using straight ink. Also, thicker glitter seemed to clump and take the ink off the ornament, so I went to the fine glitter which works much better, just wish it wasn't so pricey!! Thankfully you can rinse and reuse the ornaments as I did a bunch that I didn't like. Good luck!

lobby's hobby 11-29-2006 10:35 AM

Thanks so much for the tips... I must admit I have rinsed and rerinsed, lol!! I will try the finer glitter next...

KayKay 11-29-2006 11:17 AM

Are you using plastic clear balls or glass clear balls or what. And how do you stamp on anything round? Difficulties here.

Kathi

SouthernStorm 11-29-2006 12:07 PM

Hay Ya'll !!
I haven't done these myself, but from the inst. from SweetHeidiJo, you don't use water if using the new SU reinkers! Anyway.. here's the link to her tutorial, HTH!

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...ge=1#poststart

Cindygrammy2 11-29-2006 01:44 PM

Thanks for posting that you can rinse and re-use when you mess one up. That will save some money running and buying new ornaments every time you mess up, which is quite often, LOL!!

lobby's hobby 11-29-2006 03:43 PM

KayKay, I have been using glass clear balls

Thanks SouthernStorm for the link :) Mucho helpful!!!

Cindygrammy2, yes that is an LOL...one I made myself :lol:

lobby's hobby 11-29-2006 03:47 PM

forgot to say that I have not stamped on them, but you can stamp on tissue and put it inside... much easier then stamping on something round and slippery!!! If you want to try to stamp on the balls directly, I have been told to ink up the stamp lay it down on the table, and roll the ball over top of the stamp.
Here is the link for the tissue stamped inside...
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/crafting/ar...382115,00.html

SouthernStorm 11-29-2006 07:13 PM

Wow, thank you lobby's hobby.. I thought I'd seen every Carol Duvall show she made! I've gotta try the tissue paper.
BTW.. love your sweet puppy! Our Siberian Husky is 10 yrs old.. she's been a total blessing! Stormy

KayKay 11-30-2006 10:52 AM

Thanks Everyone!

I am off to find glass balls. We have no craft store nearby so this may be the toughest step.

Kathi

lobby's hobby 11-30-2006 11:53 AM

I get mine from Walmart... 12 for $5.97 (I am in Canada so maybe cheaper for you US ladies) also check your Kmarts.

lobby's hobby 11-30-2006 11:55 AM

Well I think I finally got it!!! YIPEEE!! My problem was I was not putting enough glitter in. I dump quite a big in swirl it around and dump the excess out (which I use in another same color ball). Thanks everyone for all your ideas and help!!

lobby's hobby 11-30-2006 11:57 AM

Thanks Stormy for the puppy comments, we love her!! She is an Old English Mastiff, and a true gentle giant!! Love your Husky, I have always had a soft spot for them!!

jackiekelley 12-02-2006 05:12 PM

I didn't like the look of re-inkers -found something that works soo much better!

ok, so I too tried the re-inkers (with and without water) and had the same splotchy results.

What I found to work the best, and fastest is to coat the inside of the ornament with Crystal Effects and drain for about 10 minutes (drain into something you can pour it out of, so you can re-use the extra crystal effects), then once drained well, pour in colored glitter (any kind will work - regular, fine, super fine - it doesn't matter) and shake. The glitter sticks to the crystal effects so well and you get a nice even coverage and your not wasting your re-inkers!! Plus it was a much cleaner process.

Trust me - if you've tried the re-inker technique and now try the crystal effects technique, you'll never go back!!
:mrgreen:

FL_Kelly 12-03-2006 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackiekelley
ok, so I too tried the re-inkers (with and without water) and had the same splotchy results.

What I found to work the best, and fastest is to coat the inside of the ornament with Crystal Effects and drain for about 10 minutes (drain into something you can pour it out of, so you can re-use the extra crystal effects), then once drained well, pour in colored glitter (any kind will work - regular, fine, super fine - it doesn't matter) and shake. The glitter sticks to the crystal effects so well and you get a nice even coverage and your not wasting your re-inkers!! Plus it was a much cleaner process.

Trust me - if you've tried the re-inker technique and now try the crystal effects technique, you'll never go back!!
:mrgreen:

Hey Jackie!
I made 10 of them today with crystal effects. Sooooo much easier. I finally found something to do with all of that glitter I bought at the SB expo in Orlando!!!

lobby's hobby 12-03-2006 03:56 PM

going to try CE, thanks for that tip!!

**Elizabeth** 12-24-2006 05:19 PM

Thanks

I am not ornament stupid after all. Thank you for the tips - my ornaments are almost as good as the samples on SCS. I am getting there.