Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Techniques (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/)
-   -   Question on coloring images? *merged* (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/question-coloring-images-%2Amerged%2A-305869/)

scrappyb 12-06-2007 02:13 AM

Question on coloring images? *merged*

I saw the poll asking about which coloring tools everyone owns and I wondered....what do you usually use to color in your stamped images. I've been using watercolor pencils and blender pens, but sometimes I'd like something a little richer or just a little different look. What's your favorite technique for coloring images?

scrappyb 12-06-2007 02:17 AM

Question on coloring images?

I saw the poll asking about which coloring tools everyone owns and I wondered....what do you usually use to color in your stamped images. I've been using watercolor pencils and blender pens, but sometimes I'd like something a little richer or just a little different look. What's your favorite technique for coloring images?

Bianca_73 12-06-2007 02:56 AM

Most of the time I use my SU! reinkers. I just use a tiny drop and color the images using my water filled brush. For me this works best.

allee's 12-06-2007 03:48 AM

Prismacolor pencils and gamsol.

jenpeel 12-06-2007 04:55 AM

I usually use the ink pads & a blender pen or aqua painter (depending on which kind of paper I stamp on). Either way I ALWAYS use StazOn ink to stamp with.

kvanbuskirk 12-06-2007 05:31 AM

I like to use chalks too!
Kim

KimberlyinMN 12-06-2007 06:49 AM

I really like the Gamsol and Prismacolor pencil technique:
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...amsolmagic.php

I tried the Prismacolor markers and got good results but I really prefer the Gamsol and pencil technique the best.

bnlnkids 12-06-2007 10:46 AM

Prismas and Gamsol. AKA: Gamsol Magic or Magic Colored Pencil Technique. :)

musicmarth 12-06-2007 10:52 AM

My "newest" favorite technique is stamping (with stazon) on watercolor paper and then using a marker to make a little color on the image and then "coloring" over the marker with my aquapen. It looks great and I get compliments on the cards all the time!

*SeikasHaven* 12-06-2007 11:00 AM

stamp with stazon, then i either squish my classic inks into their lids and use a water filled brush for watercoloring or i use the blender pen and pastel chalks.

PandaGirl 12-07-2007 11:37 AM

A lot of people mention Prismacolor pencils and gamsol- are these the watercolor pencils or the regular pencils?

If I were to get watercolor pencils, I could use an aqua painter or the blender pens, right?

little_lottie 12-07-2007 12:38 PM

Another fan of chalks! So soft and blendable.

I like shimmery H2O's for colouring too. And Sakura Glaze Embossing Pens for smaller images.

I also like to go full on with micro-glitter too and colour the entire image with it.

sbailiff 12-08-2007 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PandaGirl (Post 7945102)
A lot of people mention Prismacolor pencils and gamsol- are these the watercolor pencils or the regular pencils?

If I were to get watercolor pencils, I could use an aqua painter or the blender pens, right?

They are NOT the watercolor pencils. They are the Premier line (wax) and that's why the Gamsol is able to "pick up" and "spread" the color. It's a great technique. I think the look is richer than watercolor pencils plus you get to mix colors.

shelleyberman1 12-09-2007 07:48 PM

Pearl Ex

I love to color my cards with Pearl Ex. It's very easy to use and you don't have to stay in the lines. They have many colors and I like the metallic look that it leaves. It's best to use them on darker papers. Really fun! If you haven't tried them, do it. You will be hooked.

deipara 12-09-2007 07:53 PM

It depends on my mood. I've used SU! Markers, Prismacolor pencils (alone and with Baby Oil instead of Gamsol), Chalks, and reinkers and aqua pen.

I generally reach for my Prismas.

mamahowe 12-10-2007 05:11 AM

coloring images

I'm another user of the Primas and baby oil instead of Gamasol; also like to use watercolor pencils/auqa-pen; and for the shimmer I use H2O's.

Estelle

pjw2855 12-10-2007 05:16 AM

mamahowe......What is H2O?? I've heard people talk about it, but I don't really know what it is. I'm always ready to try something new!

Patti

cambystamper 12-10-2007 06:04 AM

Twinkling H2O's are water colors on a small pot. 144 shimering colors(I have them all). The best place to get them is Marco's paper. They are having a free shipping deal on orders over $50 thru mid month.It is my fave coloring tool. I do use most of the other ways that have b een mentioned also. Anyone used alcohol for blending? I watched a tutorial on Prismacolor's website last night. The artist used a cotton swab. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Debbie

pjw2855 12-10-2007 08:07 AM

cambystamper.......Thanks for the info. I'll look in my local AC Moore Store or Michaels before going on-line. I prefer to see items before purchasing. Helps to read the package. Can't do that on-line.

Patti

Donnarie 12-10-2007 08:30 AM

Mostly I use my Prismacolor pencils, sometimes with Gamsol, but usually without. I also enjoy using my watercolor pencils, and I have a few Prismacolor markers that I'm falling in love with. The things I almost never use anymore are my water-based markers (SU, Tombow) and my pastels. Hmmm, I should dig those out...I loved the pastels when I first got them.

cambystamper 12-10-2007 11:58 AM

We don't have AC Moores in Indy but have never found them at Michaels. The local Archivers carries them but they are more expensive.

mommyoftwo 12-10-2007 08:03 PM

I use the Prismacolor pencils and gamasol. Love the way it looks compaired to everything else I have used.

They are not cheap, but I have a club that I am trying to fill where you can pay a small amount each month to get your tin of 72 colors, bottle of gamasol and then blending stubs for the blending. The info is listed in my blog

cindybstampin 12-11-2007 08:20 PM

I Love using my Watercolor wonder crayons and the aquapainter. I just swipe the tip of the crayon and it's easy that way to control how much color you get. This method is easiest and great when I want to blend or make my own colors.
I've also experimented lately with using the SU! markers and an aqua painter. I love the way this looks.
You might want to take a peek.

debzi333 12-12-2007 12:00 AM

I usually prefer my prisma pencil crayons and the gamsol.. But I also use watercolours, and just lately I've tried using my markers ( I'd pretty much given up using them ) on cold pressed 140 lb watercolour paper - you don't see all of the lines from the markers that way - much better effect.

But prisma and gamsol is definitely my usual go to right now.

lillykins 12-12-2007 01:39 AM

Hi, is there anyone that could tell me where to get hold of these Prisma pencils in the UK as I'm having trouble finding them - I've seen some fantastic work done with these and have bought the gamsol and stumps as they were readily available - but have no pencils as yet :( :confused:

Thanks

stamps&cars 12-12-2007 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lillykins (Post 7991423)
Hi, is there anyone that could tell me where to get hold of these Prisma pencils in the UK as I'm having trouble finding them - I've seen some fantastic work done with these and have bought the gamsol and stumps as they were readily available - but have no pencils as yet :( :confused:

Thanks

Another vote for prisma and gamsol here. As for the UK availability.....the best place I've found to get them affordably is ebay......$50 to $60 for 120 including postage. I'm sure that some of the sellers will ship internationally.

lillykins 12-12-2007 11:24 PM

Thanks Ann - must be one of the only people who don't use them :) will go and take a look though as it looks like I need them ;)

Lilly

meluvstampin 12-13-2007 03:36 AM

I use one of the following depending on what I am doing

Re-inkers and aqua pen or blender pen
SU watercolor pencils
Metallic pencils
Chalk pencils
chalks

They all give a different look.

Angelnorth 12-13-2007 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lillykins (Post 7991423)
Hi, is there anyone that could tell me where to get hold of these Prisma pencils in the UK as I'm having trouble finding them

I got a bunch of 'seconds' from a German eBay seller, Lillykins (Europe being a better deal in terms of duty/VAT that you might have to pay if you buy from the US). They're what you might call 'cosmetic seconds' - bumps out of the paint coating, dodgy bits on the gold embossing etc, nothing that affects the colouring qualities and a great starter set even though there were some repeat colours.

There are Prismacolor equivalents in the UK but they're expensive - typically around �1.40 per pencil if you buy them as 'open stock'. I bought a couple to try out to see if I liked the technique before I bought loads of colours. An artists' supply place will have them.

lillykins 12-14-2007 02:41 AM

Thanks for that - I asked my local shop and she said they only sell Prisma to the US - maybe she was mis-guided ! so I'll persevere as I'm not getting on too well with blending the normal watercolours.

Lilly
x

Angelnorth 12-14-2007 04:16 AM

OK, so I just checked for the brand name of the ones I bought in my local art supplies place in case it helps you track something useful locally, Lillykins. They're Derwent Coloursoft - they have a kind of maroonish-brown paint coating with just the very top painted in the colour of the pencil itself, IYSWIM.

lillykins 12-14-2007 05:50 AM

Great thanks that gives me a starting point. I'll go and see if they've heard of these ;)

pjw2855 12-14-2007 05:59 AM

I also use chalk pencils. I like the soft look of them. You just need to burnish your project as you go along or the dust will spread.

Patti

doggonecrafts 12-19-2007 06:57 AM

I'm a beginner...and I have the Marvy pens...anyone use those??

sbailiff 12-19-2007 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggonecrafts (Post 8060529)
I'm a beginner...and I have the Marvy pens...anyone use those??

Maria,

I've had those for 4 years + and use them all the time. I'd love to know the difference between Marvy pens and the Copic markers I hear so much about. I just don't understand how markers could be so different. Anyone?

I love the Prmisacolor + Gamsol technique, though. That's by far-and-away my favorite. Pens are too pigmented and "wet," if that makes sense, for my taste.

Please tell us what the difference is between our Marvy (still expensive) pens and the Copic. BTW, I've read all about the Copic pens and still don't understand the draw.

TIA!

Angelnorth 12-20-2007 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbailiff (Post 8060614)
I'd love to know the difference between Marvy pens and the Copic markers I hear so much about. I just don't understand how markers could be so different. Anyone?

Marvy markers are water-based inks, Copics are alcohol inks. Just like your different stamping inks behave differently, the inks in the pens behave differently, too. Hope that makes sense!

SophieLaFontaine 12-20-2007 03:05 AM

I've gotten in the habit of colouring only with Winsor & Newton and Grumbacher watercolours, straight from the tubes. The colour gets very, very deep and very rich if almost no water is added. I can also get a really pale shade of any colour just by adding water. Also, I can mix different colours to get almost any colour I want (neat, for matching cardstock colours). Also, I recently discovered that if I load up a brush with colour, I can smear the brush against a calligraphy pen tip and use the calligraphy tip to get really, really fine lines.

Also, with certain pigments (other pigments stain and are more permanent), I can "erase" them if I've made a mistake (this is on watercolour paper only).

pjw2855 12-20-2007 03:28 AM

Wow! I thought I used a variety of pencils, crayons and markers. I've never seen all these brands between Michaels and AC Moore.

I'm no painter, so I don't do well with a brush. Could I use a blender pen (not water brush) for these wetter products? I realize I might have to dedicate the blender pen to that color though.

Patti