Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-12-2005, 01:10 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brayer challenged.. need help

So I know that I must be doing something wrong, but I suck with a brayer. I have seen so many beautiful cards on here where they've used a brayer and gotten nice, even color. When I do it, more ink seems to gather in some places than in others. I've noticed this especially on darker colors. Also, what kind of brayers are you using? I have one that is rubber from Ranger, and it gives me the most frustration. I have another one that is a cheapy foam one. I like the results from it the best, I could get a nice even color but it took several times inking it to get the color to show. Any tips would be really appreciated!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 01:53 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of paper do you use? I only use SU, as I've had problems with other brands. The SU glossy works the best for me with the rubber brayer. I'm not familiar with the Ranger brand. Is it a softer rubber? Years ago, I bought a hard rubber brayer that I HATED. It didn't pick up ink or spread it evenly, so I eventually threw it out. Then I bought another one at a craft store, and asked the cashier specifically if it was for rubber stamping. It's made all the difference.

Another thing I've found, especially with glossy, is that you need to roll it back and forth on the paper several times, pressing firmly. You should get enough coverage after about 3-4 passes.

Just my two cents. You can do it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 02:38 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

The paper I've been using is just white cardstock from Wal-Mart, think the brand is Georgia Pacific. Hadn't thought about that. The paper's fairly smooth, it works pretty well for DTP technique. I'll try it with some of my SU paper when I get home, though, and see if that makes a difference.

As for the brayer, I'm not sure if it's soft rubber or not. This is my brayer. I'm thinking about getting another one, I believe that Michael's sells the same one that SU sells, and I know they have options for acrylic, hard rubber, soft rubber and foam.

Should I be using regular cardstock, or glossy cardstock? Or is it just different effects on different kinds of paper?

Last edited by Rhiamon; 04-12-2005 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 03:12 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Question

What are the differences (other than the obvious) of the different rollers?!? What are they used for, what are their specialities?!?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 05:01 PM   #5  
PAPER SCAPER

Default brayer

Read these and see if they help you at all. My brayer is by Fiskars and its six inches long so it�s bigger than the cards I do, which is usually half sheet size. I only use the soft rubber and some that are texture designs but still rubber.
I have the same brand name Roller Ball I believe it is that SU sells and it only comes in a four inch. I seldom use it and get much better results from one that will cover the entire card.
I�ve use it on all types of cardstock but the glossy is going to come out the smoothest. I don�t use any fancy brand name and it works fine.
Check your personal message from me.

Rox

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2005, 07:14 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Perhaps when you load your brayer you are creating lines. Don't go off the end of the ink pad. Pick up the brayer before you roll off the pad. Also pick up the brayer and put it down several times and make sure it is getting ink evenly. I find that glossy paper works the best and I also always use Stampin' Up glossy cardstock. If I only roll one way on the paper and then pick up the brayer and roll again the same direction several times I find it comes out the best. Back and forth does not work for me I always get light and dark areas

Good Luck,
Verda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 05:57 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rhiamon,

I've used the Walmart paper, and it's touch and go (for me). It seems thinner and more porous than the SU. I checked our your brayer and it says it's for stamping, so it should be ok. Try some SU and SU glossy and see how it goes!
Reply With Quote Likes