Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-17-2004, 06:45 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stamping on dominoes: why did it run

hi ladies ! i have a quick question! i used stazon on dominoes and let it dry for about 24 hours yet when i sealed them they ran does anyone know why? i made cheerleading keychains for my daughters teammates of course i did them all at once instead of trying one first! i will get to make 13 more now but was wondering what i did wrong! thanks lori :?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2004, 06:48 PM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

make sure when you spray the sealer you aren't too close and spraying too much! hold the can way away and just put a fine mist over it all...

I smeared a whole bunch the first time I did dominoes too!

Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2004, 07:39 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

hmmmmm...

Did you strip the top layer of gloss off of the domino? If so, it must have been the sealer. I've stamped on domino's using Stazon, Tsuineko Brilliance, and Memories ink and never had to seal them nor did I have a problem with the inks bleeding.

As a matter of fact, when I first started stamping on dominoes and would make a mistake or I just didn’t like the results I had a tough time wiping off the ink. Then, one night I was cleaning one of my wall stencils with rubbing alcohol and deciding to try it on the dominoes that I had missed up and couldn’t get all of the ink off, and it worked. So now when I make a mistake on a domino I just drop in this jar with a lid that has enough rubbing alcohol in it to cover the domino and let it soak and the ink disappears.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2004, 08:24 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Default staz on

I have stamped on dominoes, bamboo tiles etc and mine has never ran. I even used a brush on sealer. I always sand my dominoes first though? Not sure if that makes a difference.
I have also used clear EP to use as a finish.
Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2004, 11:07 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Jen,
Do you sand them with the SU sanding blocks? I'm going to try doing dominos soon, and was wondering it that would work okay.
Thanks,
Sencie : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 12:32 AM   #6  
Inking Addict

Alright sacramentostamper....sounds like you've got this technique in the bag! Would you be willing to post some detaied instructions? I've been dying to try this but it just looks so hard..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 04:50 AM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Smearing will definitely occur if you have the sealer too close. Doing light layers starting from far away will help with that.

When I sand, I use regular sand paper, not our manicure blocks ~ I mean, sanding blocks. I have got a couple of manicure blocks I've used, but the sand paper worked well and fast.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 05:18 AM   #8  
Inking Addict

Default dominoes

does it have to be fine grit sand paper? how else to you take off the gloss?
they were so cute before but now they have a shadow on them not real bad but enough for me to wonder if i should give them out! my 15 year old says they look fine mom! they wont complain ! always tries to make me feel better! she is a doll! can we use sanding blocks from su?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 10:57 AM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

The sanding blocks from SU is extremely fine for roughing up polyshrink. You would do better removing the top layer with a slightly higher grit. When you spray them, they will become shiny again and you won't see the sanding. The other choice is you can sand them first with course grit and then buff them with a super fine grip ~ kind of like getting a manicure!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 11:03 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I soak them in bleach to remove the gloss. If I think about it, before I go to bed I'll put some bleach in a spaghetti jar because it has a lid, throw in a handful of domino's and let them soak overnight. By morning the gloss is gone and sometimes the color dots and I'm ready to stamp.

I have a few links that I often refer too when stamping on domino's that are real helpful. If you're interested let me know and I will send them on over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 11:32 AM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

I have a question for Sacramento Stamper. Don't they stink really bad after soaking them in bleach? I am one who hates the smell and feel of bleach. Yes, bleach has a feel, it's slimey when it gets on the hands. Doesn't soaking them over night make them smell too? Just wondering as I've never done this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 12:43 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Default sanding dominoes

I just use regular old sand paper. I will try and make one this evening and post it! That is if I figure the galery out should not be too hard!

Hugs Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2004, 01:08 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I feel the same as you do when it comes to bleach. However, since dominoes have a non- porous surface the bleach will not be absorbed which would cause them to smell. As far as any residual left from the bleach; when I soak them the way I explained at no time do I even come in contact with the bleach (yukie slime). When they’re finished soaking I pour out as much of the bleach as I can without the domino’s falling out of the jar. I then flush them with running hot water while they’re still in the jar until I think all traces of bleach is gone and then strain them. They turn out so so pretty and smooth as can be…

Come on just try it, you’ll be glad you did.

Just another FYI…

When I make a mistake on a domino, regular rubbing alcohol will remove the ink. I just plop it in a little Dixie cup with rubbing alcohol in it, let it soak and ta da the ink is gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 06:49 PM   #14  
Inking Addict

Default dominoes

i sent you a pm. when you remove the gloss and stamp then do you have to seal it i assume you do to make it shiny again? my husband bought me a huge box of them so i have plenty to play with ! the same with tiles i asked for him to price a sheet of them and he bought me a whole case of them so i ended up with 360 tiles !!! he is such a doll he also bought a case of 4x4 tiles and a tile cutter in case i wanted to cut them!!! :lol: had to tell what a sweety he is i almost lost him on my birthday 8-8 to a heart attack! he is 34 and very dear so i wanted to share about him! thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 07:12 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Just wanted to add another quick domino tip regarding the alcohol: if you just want a portion of an image, just stamp and then remove what you don't want with some rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip.
And, thanks for the bleach tip! I usually wipe my dominoes down with a quick swipe of acetone, but I like the fact that the bleach will take some/all of the dots off the back. I just love all the helpful hints from everyone at SCS!
Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 04:43 AM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

I like the dots I got, they are neon. I guess I could try putting them in my tupperware marinator. That would let them hover in the bleach, but not lose the dots. And I know the marinator is safe, because it's been soaked in bleach plenty of times to remove that ugly red stain from the marinade. Okay ~ I'll give it a try, as long as the bleach slime monster and his friend the polka dot and run jester don't show up. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 04:51 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Do you leave the sides with the dots unpainted or do you decoratethis also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2004, 07:25 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Kymber-
You are too funny! I actually did LOL about the bleach slime monster and his friend.
Do you incorporate the dots? (Or do you just like to know they're there?) I mostly make bracelets, and if they don't hug the wrist, I don't like the dots to show on the inside of the bracelet...takes away from the design.
Happy Stamping!

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2004, 10:42 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Dominoes

I have done several domino pieces and like the dots on the back... people are always floored when they see them... they don't always recognize the piece as a domino unless they see the dots. I did Mother's Day cards for a swap and included a domino pin stamped with the butterfly from Botanicals. Really gorgeous! Another favorite is the moon from Sun, Moon & Stars... stamped so the curve of the moon is on the edge of the domino... you lose the points, but it's quite effective.

I have also had problems with the ink running when I spray it... undoubtedly, I was trying to put too much on at one time. I'll try to be more patient and use thinner coats. Thanks for the tips.

I'm brand new to this site and just LOVE it!

RT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2004, 12:55 PM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissaparrish
Kymber-
You are too funny! I actually did LOL about the bleach slime monster and his friend.
Do you incorporate the dots? (Or do you just like to know they're there?) I mostly make bracelets, and if they don't hug the wrist, I don't like the dots to show on the inside of the bracelet...takes away from the design.
Happy Stamping!

Melissa
When I do key chains, I incorporate the dots. Our Bold Brights really work with the neon of the dominos. The poor little dominos just look so naked without their spots. I have a true fear of bleach. Seems like every time I use it I should wear my worst clothes in my closet (which I usually forget to do) and I end up with little polka dots all over my clothes. I have been known to use a Sharpie to recolor the black on my shirts because inevitably I will forget what I'm wearing when I whip out the bleach.

Polka dot monster ~ if you're out there, I will catch you one day!!

And I did try this ~ very cool!! You can see the coating coming off. Very school science project!!

And Welcome Reindeer Trout!! You'll like it here!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2004, 03:55 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Kymbers...

Did I read correctly that you tried my bleach trick? Wahoo! Did you do the jar thing and everything?

Snaps up to me! :lol:

Tonya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2004, 04:05 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Tonya: LOVE the bleach trick!!

Kymber: Okay, okay...I have yet to make keychains, so that'll go on my "ta'do" list. Where do you get neon dots? I've been shopping at WallyWorld, and only have the primary colored dots.

Reindeer: WELCOME! SCS is the best. Talented stampers and just downright nice people!

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2004, 04:13 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Melissa~

It is like the easiet way to get that top layer off of the domino and... if you do it right you don't ever touch the bleach. Were you one of three that asked me to send them links to websites regarding stamping on domino's? Some of these people have really created some spectacular creations on domino's, it's just amazing.

Tonya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2004, 04:22 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

I have been having alot of fun with dominos. I just uploaded several to my gallery. I use the bleach trick--I think it works great. I have tried several different inks and techniques and the way I like best is to use bleach, use Brilliance ink, StazOn to stamp the image and a clear sealer to finish off with. I heat set between all of the inking steps.

Tonya--please post the links to the domino sites if you can. I love searching out new ideas on them. They are alot of fun.

Gina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2004, 04:23 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Tonya,
I wasn't one of the requesters, but I'd love to have the link! Thanks!
([email protected])
Dominos are my new stamping passion. (Check out my SCS gallery to see the bracelet I made my mom for her 73rd b-day. It's not everybody's taste, but I'm proud if it...and momma loves it. I am a former--and hopefully future I can find the time again!--polymer jewelry artist, so am having fun doing my old style with stamping!)
If I can drag myself away from this site, I have some cleaned/drilled dominos waiting for me!
Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2004, 04:29 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Gina,
Do you coat the entire domino with Brilliance to provide a solid background color? (I've been doing that with classic ink--that's what I have. Maybe I should try the brilliance?) I always use StazOn for the images.
Like you, I heat set EVERYTHING in between coats/layers....don't know that I have to, but I do....maybe it's a stamping superstition...or I have a heating obsessive compulsive disorder! In any case, the designs last, and last, and last...

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2004, 04:38 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Hi Melissa! I coat all four sides and the front but have been leaving the back plain to show that they are dominos. My next set that I do I plan on coating the back also just to see how I like it. I love the brilliance inks--they have such a glow about them. I have also used the classic ink pads and like those. Some colors seemed to fade as I heat set and it took several layers to get the effect I wanted. Then I got on the Brilliance kick and have been there for a bit! :lol: I am wanting to learn how to embellish them with beads dangling off wire next. HTH. Gina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2004, 04:42 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Tonya,
I wasn't one of the requesters, but I'd love to have the link! Thanks!
([email protected])
Dominos are my new stamping passion. (Check out my SCS gallery to see the bracelet I made my mom for her 73rd b-day. It's not everybody's taste, but I'm proud if it...and momma loves it. I am a former--and hopefully future I can find the time again!--polymer jewelry artist, so am having fun doing my old style with stamping!)
If I can drag myself away from this site, I have some cleaned/drilled dominos waiting for me!
Melissa
This is so funny, I just went to your gallery to look at domino bracelet you mentioned, I was like 2nd person that commented on this when you posted the picture. It is fantastic.! Does it just slip on over you hand? If so, how did you connect the two ends?

Speaking of Polymer, today I'm trying to recover from an all-nighter of doing polymer clay. I've been correspondencing via e-mail with Lisa Pevelka (love her work) about the Carol Duvall Cruise. I am seriously thinking about going. My girlfriends and I spent almost 3 week in the W. Carribean islands last year and loved it. As a matter of fact we left out of Florida. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2004, 05:13 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks Tonya!
I use elastic cording to string my bracelets. You have to pull the elastic pretty tight before tying, just leaving enough "give" to get the bracelet over the hand and onto the wrist. I then tie a real good triple knot, dot it with whatever glue is on my table, and then pull the knot into the domino. (I make sure that the knots are going to end up next to one of the bigger holes I've drilled...) This works really well, and I usually used this method to string my polymer bracelets, too. The only thing that breaks down the elastic seems to be excess water exposure--my mom's poly watchband has had to be restrung a couple times! I wear my polymer bracelets on elastic quite a bit, and some of them are 10 years old...so the elastic method works!
(...and P.S. A Carol Duvall cruise sounds like a lot of fun! Hope you can go!)

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2004, 05:16 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for all the tips. I love the stamped dominos but have been afraid to try it. Now maybe I'll take the plunge. Is there anything you wonderful stampers don't know? I learn something new every day - can't stay away from SCS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2004, 06:52 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

I never thought about using the bleach! I am trying it tonight!
Thanks for the FYI......

"I Stamp, therefore I am!"....

http://www.jenniferuitto.stampinup.net/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2004, 06:58 PM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin'Niffer
I never thought about using the bleach! I am trying it tonight!
Thanks for the FYI......
Go for it sista... :lol:

I'll be waiting to hear your results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2004, 03:00 PM   #33  
Inking Addict

Default dominoes

maybe i missed it but how long do i soak the dominoes in bleach? and how long do i wait to stamp on them after they are cleaned?
thaks lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2004, 03:49 AM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Re: dominoes

Quote:

Originally Posted by happystamper88
maybe i missed it but how long do i soak the dominoes in bleach? and how long do i wait to stamp on them after they are cleaned?
If I remember, before I go to bed I'll put some bleach in a spaghetti jar because it has a lid, throw in a handful of domino's and let them soak overnight while I'm sleeping. By morning the gloss is gone, they're beautiful and ready to stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2004, 04:18 AM   #35  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Tonya: LOVE the bleach trick!!

Kymber: Okay, okay...I have yet to make keychains, so that'll go on my "ta'do" list. Where do you get neon dots? I've been shopping at WallyWorld, and only have the primary colored dots.

Reindeer: WELCOME! SCS is the best. Talented stampers and just downright nice people!

Melissa
Sorry ~ didn't even see this question. I got them at Toys R Us a while ago. I stole them from my daughter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2004, 02:53 PM   #36  
Inking Addict

Default dominoes

Thank you to all who have shared your information with me on thuis site ! I LOVE THIS SITE! thanks again lori :
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2004, 06:36 PM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

Kymber~

I know how you feel about bleach, however, have you had a chance to try it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 04:10 AM   #38  
Forum Fanatic

I tried putting it in a pan and soaking it off. Rather like a science experiment!! Interesting to watch the layer come off but it's still shiney and won't hold the pens like when I rough it up with sand paper. Look in my gallery and you'll see what I mean by "hold the pens" ~ I use our pens to add touches of color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 04:53 AM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sealer

Krylon and Deco Art spray on sealers seem to work the best for me. I just used Krylon and had no problems with it. It works best if you keep the spray can at the recommended distance to the object and spray lightly.

The sealer in some of the other brands contain chemicals that interact with the ink causing it to run.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2004, 09:01 AM   #40  
Mad Swapper

Default Stamping on dominoes

I went to a stamp camp...... where the dominoes were soaked in bleach to remove the coating. The lady said after rinsing them off, she made up some strong tea and threw them in there over night. They came out kind of antiquey looking. We use the smorgasborders flower and stazon to stamp with. After a short drying period we use q-tips and chalk to color.
Then finally we spritzed with floor wax and heated. OH yeah... last step was to glue a circle magnet on the back.
Reply With Quote Likes