Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-14-2004, 04:09 PM   #1  
Duchess of Dork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping stazon & sharpies from running together on tiles

How do you keep the sharpies from smudging the stazon ink when you apply it to tiles? It happened on glazed tiles. Do you have to use unglazed to keep this from happening? If you heat set in oven before coloring, does that work? I heat set w/ my embossing gun, but it still smudged. Should I do a layer of sealer before coloring w/ sharpies? HELP!!!!

Lori
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 04:40 PM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

I've heard since it's the same chemical compound it's nearly impossible unless you prep between layers. If you seal the StazOn layer before coloring with the Sharpies, you will prevent the StazOn from running. If the two connect without a sealant layer between, they will run.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 06:13 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I just made some glazed tiles this past week, and I baked the tiles in the oven at 350 for 20min after I had stamped with the staz-on. I then coloured them in with Sharpies(after they cooled, of course!) I baked them again for another 20, just to be on the safe side! To finish, I applied a thin coating of CE and some glitter as a sealant, but a spray sealant -by Krylon, I think- works great for quikki sealing. Hope this helps.
Ronda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2004, 04:36 AM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronda Nix
but a spray sealant -by Krylon, I think- works great for quikki sealing. Hope this helps.
Ronda
Anything but Krylon in my opinion. Patricia Nimock makes a great sealant that dries quickly and can be colored on after. Baking would definitely take a considerable amount of time, but is an option as long as you aren't using red or yellow (both change colors in the oven).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2004, 09:29 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to StampinLeslie

Where would you get that sealant?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2004, 10:28 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad someone posted this question!!!! I tried my hand at tiles last week - made about 6 practicing to get it all "right". I used Staz On and Sharpies, tried the chalks too. The tiles turned out great until I used Krylon claer sealer to seal them - the inks just run - I really am not sure what I did wrong. Without sealing them I could put water or a cup on them fine; but everything I read here seemed to indicate that sealing was required - just did not work for me. I'm going to keep experimenting; but would love some feedback for better results next time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2004, 10:29 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad someone posted this question!!!! I tried my hand at tiles last week - made about 6 practicing to get it all "right". I used Staz On and Sharpies, tried the chalks too. The tiles turned out great until I used Krylon claer sealer to seal them - the inks just run - I really am not sure what I did wrong. Without sealing them I could put water or a cup on them fine; but everything I read here seemed to indicate that sealing was required - just did not work for me. I'm going to keep experimenting; but would love some feedback for better results next time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2004, 10:39 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry for the Krylon mention. I haven't used it myself, I've just seen references to it from others. I don't think I can get the other spray mentioned by Kymbers here in Canada, but I've only looked in a couple of places. I think the problem with the Krylon is that it sprays too quickly, making it pool on the surface, instead of just coating it. My DH is a body repairman(cars, not people :lol: ) and he says thats what happens to car paint when it comes out of the gun too fast. He also said to make sure that you hold the can far enough away from the item so that it gets a light misting. It is better to apply a few thin coats instead of one thick one. Hope someone else has some insights on this. I know the repeat baking method takes too long for some of us.
Ronda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2004, 11:03 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I used Krylon Triple Thick Glaze on a shiny tile like surface and it flaked in certain areas, so the Krylon rep said it may have been a defect or is old. He sent out a replacement. Hope this one works. What about other company sealants, I only know of Krylon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2004, 11:44 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

OK here is the thing - if you are using tumbled tiles with only Stazon and sharpies - you don't need to seal them...in fact sealing them takes away from the point of using a tile for a coaster - to absorb sweat from a glass in order to protect furniture.

With using Tumbled tiles - stamp using Staz-on and then heat set for a brief period of time - you can either use an oven, a microwave or a heat gun. Then after the tile has cooled use your sharpies to color in and then heat set using the oven at 300-350 for about 10-15 minutes...

By heat setting the tile it allows for the color to "soak" into the tile and fix it in a more permanent state. Heat setting using the oven should not change the sharpie colors much - it might might make it a shade lighter but that's it.

So if you are using just Staz-on and sharpies there is no need to seal with anything.

The only thing that will disrupt the image on the tile is if they are cleaned with solvent designed for permanet markers or ink (such as Staz-on cleaner) - even that will not remove the image in it's entierty - it will only make it lighter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2004, 11:47 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Oh I just wanted to add - if you are using a glossy or glazed tile be very careful about what type of sealer you use - I have discovered in doing the 2x2 ceramic tiles the ink sits on top of the tile so if you hit it with a sealer and the tile gets 'nicked' the image comes off because the image becomes adhered to the sealer since it sits on top of the tile (hope that makes sense sort of convaluted)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2004, 12:45 PM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Not arguing, but I disagree with everything said by Jenni regarding sealing and heat setting.

Heat setting ~ it has been my considerable experience that when you heat set certain colors of StazOn and Sharpies they fade, badly. Red becomes pink, yellow becomes brown, orange becomes some unrecognizable color, sort of a burnt sienna. I deplore heat setting.

Sealing ~ I've sealed every one of my tiles and have no issue with them keeping water from the table.

That said, a girl I work with turned me on to the most beautiful tiles. They are expensive out the door because you have to buy a box of 100 for $40, but per piece are an excellent deal. The tiles, whoes name I'm finding out are porus. You can color with sharpie and stamp with stazon and the liquid goes into the tile and doesn't hurt the image. She also said she didn't have problems with bleeding.

And definitely no offense about the Krylon, I just can't stand the stuff and I'm out to rid the world of Krylon users one stamper at a time. :lol: Patricia Nimock's is available at WalMart and Michaels. Check the craft section rather than the paint section at WalMart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2004, 01:25 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Kymber, when will you find out the name of these tiles? I have bought probably 50 or so already in the past month! :lol: It sounds like they woulf be very nice to work with. Keep us posted please???

Karrie G.
SCS Member #8990

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/karrieg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2004, 04:30 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

to each there own I guess

i know I have never had a problem with sharpies or Staz-on changing color when I have heat set it - the only thing I have ever seen is with sharpies the color might get a smidge lighter but it has never changed.

Some Staz-on colors are not true colors - for example red is not red - it is more of a pinkish red than a true red. Purple can get a little dark on pourous surfaces but both of these are not a result of baking whatsoever - it happens to be the nature of the ink to the material and will occur whether you bake it or not. All my tiles in my gallery have been baked and there have been no visible color changes that I could see.

I agree some tiles do need to be sealed - those that use chalks or pastels - something I admit I have never used because I don't want to have to seal my tiles for coaster sets because as I said before it defeats to purpose of using tumbled tiles for coasters for an actual purpose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2004, 05:03 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by karrieg
Kymber, when will you find out the name of these tiles? I have bought probably 50 or so already in the past month! :lol: It sounds like they woulf be very nice to work with. Keep us posted please???

Karrie G.
Hopefully sometime this afternoon. I'll ask to borrow one so I can photo it and show you what type of tile it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenmouer
because I don't want to have to seal my tiles for coaster sets because as I said before it defeats to purpose of using tumbled tiles for coasters for an actual purpose.
Well, weight has a lot to do with using the tiles I use. And, again, I've never had an issue with the condensation. My sealed tiles have worked well for all the people who have them and all are sealed and done with pastels. I've used mine over a year and a half and my dad's used his for over a year and no issue. The advantage is if you are at a house where beer is consumed, the tile won't absorb spilled beer and then begin to really smell.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2004, 01:03 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Thanks Kymbers, I will be looking for your posting later.

Karrie G.
SCS Member #8990

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/karrieg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 03:35 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

I sell stamped coasters. I do not seal them, unless I use chalks (which is very rare). My customers want them to be absorbant!

I also do not heat set them between coloring...now I usually do not color them in immediately. I typically stamp a whole bunch and get around to coloring them the next day, so I never thought I needed to .

Is there a reason to heat set before coloring, besides being sure the staz on is dry? Maybe I should be doing this step, although would prefer not to have to!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2004, 07:55 AM   #18  
Inking Addict

Default stazon and sharpies

I also found that the Sharpies would make the Stazon "run" (or really just blur), especially the yellow Sharpie (must be YoYo Yellow in that thing!). I found a way to lessen that effect and it also helps me to get a lighter color than the Sharpie-direct method (some of the colors are just too dark/bold, like the brown and green). I simply scribble the Sharpie on a transparency and pick up the color with a q-tip. You have to work fairly fast because it will start to dry quickly. This gives me a lighter color and because I'm applying less ink, it seems to leave the Stazon intact. Just be sure that you don't do a lot of rubbing with the q-tip, or it will still begin to take off the Stazon again. Just keep adding Sharpie color to the transparency and re-ink your q-tip often.

Hope that helps (and makes sense).
Sandra

[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2004, 06:54 PM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Sharpie makes the StazOn run because they are the same compound.

I don't heat set but I bet it would help. Makes sense.

I'm still looking for the name of the tiles. I will tell you the manufacturer is Dal-Tile and they have a website.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2004, 07:57 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Default tiles and sealing

I have a tumbled tile that I stamped with blue stayzon last winter. I heat set each snowflake briefly with my heat gun. I used it on the table at my demos last winter and so far this fall. (Horros, I know!! 'Loose drinks on the demo table!!") I have gotten pools of water on it on purpose and let them sit and then rubbed with my finger like crazy and have never gotten any blue on me, and they still look the same as when I stamped them. That's my experience with tumbled tiles.

Today my DD and I stamped 2" glazed tiles with stayzon and let them sit for a while to dry. Then we colored them 3 ways:
1. blender pen and chalks - It worked OK, but the stayzon wanted to run a little. The colors were light, and it was a bit of a challenge to not end up with 'dots' where you piock up the blender.
2. Sharpies - had to stay away from the stayzon. It wanted to RUN, particularly with the yellow! I used a fine tip black sharpie later to repair some of the lines a little. colors were extremely intense. almost too much so.
3. regular colored pencils - this worked the best. the colors came out light similar to the chalks. Pretty and somewhat shaded.

Then we gave them some drying time. The blender and chalks wanted to wipe right off. The sharpies and colored pencils seemed 'on there'.

We took all 3 into the garage and laid them out next to each other on some newspaper. Shook the krylon like crazy. Held it probably 15-18" above the tiles, started the spray on the paper - NOT on the tiles - and then quickly wooshed the spray over them.

We fanned them with the rest of the newspaper to dry the spray and repeated the spraying process maybe 4 times total. (just because of what I've read from past posts about repeating the application)

I can rub each of them with my finger now and nothing is coming off. I haven't tried to see if anything 'chips' off like I read in a previous post! Don't want to find out!!! ;-)

Well, that's my limited tile experience!
Reply With Quote Likes