Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Techniques (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/)
-   -   Need glass etching help! (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/need-glass-etching-help-185054/)

smiths 09-20-2006 05:46 PM

Need glass etching help!

I need help with some etching. I know this is probably a stupid question that everyone but me knows, but I'm asking anyway. I know how to clear emboss on glass, apply etching cream, then wash the cream off and scrape the embossing off to have the image show unetched. BUT, what if I want just the image etched? Can I apply etching cream to the stamp and do it that way? Is there a way to to this?

Theresa Romani 09-20-2006 05:57 PM

The only way I've etched the image only is by first stamping it on contact paper first and then cutting it out, making a stencil. Then I cut around the image, leaving a generous border. Peel and place the stencil onto the clean glass. I added masking tape to help keep it on securely. Then put the etching cream on the stencil/glass and let sit for the required time. Rinse the cream off, peel off the stencil and rinse it too. Pat it dry and it is ready to go again. I got several uses out of each stencil this way. I don't think I would be willing to put etching cream on my stamps. Good luck!

smiths 09-21-2006 02:16 AM

But what if the image was detailed, like the Coast to Coast set? When you do it w/contact paper did you stick to sets that had less detailed images? Are there any particular sets you would suggest? My plan is to do this on a mirror, my husband is making me a base that will hold the mirror and a candle in front of it.

Alesha 09-21-2006 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smiths
I know how to clear emboss on glass, apply etching cream, then wash the cream off and scrape the embossing off to have the image show unetched. BUT, what if I want just the image etched?

This is the only way that I know how to do it. It works awesome with "frosty", Life's Special Moments, snowflakes, Monkey Business.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smiths
Can I apply etching cream to the stamp and do it that way? Is there a way to to this?

Would you really want to? Etching Cream is corrosive. It's be like murdering your rubber.

Jenmouer 09-21-2006 05:55 AM

I don't know if you are going to be able to do that with such a detailed stamp - I have only ever embossed and then etched - I have used my CM cutters to create an oval or a circle (so my embossed image is in the middle) -

What you are describing you would need a stencil - and coast to coast is way to detailed to make a stencil of it.

I would not apply etching cream to the stamp - besides the cream needs time to etch into the glass for a few minutes

kelwil 09-21-2006 08:47 AM

I agree also, don't put the cream on your stamps. It eats away the glass to leave the frosted look, glass is harder than rubber, so it will ruin your stamps and you probably won't get a clear image from a detailed stamp anyway.

Kelli

JustMeinIN 09-21-2006 09:01 PM

What about stamping your image and then using a versamarker to color in the areas that you don't want to etch and emboss those?

Robach 09-22-2006 09:29 AM

I took an art class in highschool and we etched glass (ours was flat, mirrors actually) All we did was take regular sticker paper and cover teh surface with it and cut out the image with an exacto knife. You could stamp the image before you put the sticker paper onto the glass, trace it with your exacto knife and carefully peel up only the part you want etched and apply etching cream as usual....takes a little time, but it had beautiful results.
Hope that helps!!

smiths 09-22-2006 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustMeinIN
What about stamping your image and then using a versamarker to color in the areas that you don't want to etch and emboss those?

Good idea! I'm going to give it a try.